• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

BeeDog

LCfiner said:
I'm not there yet but I read there is only a single flying machine mission. so when you get it, have your finger on the power button if you don't kick a guy before the mission ends. :lol

Good lord, let's hope the flying mission ain't too far into the game. I'd be royally pissed if it was like the end mission or something. :p Thanks for the idea though!

Sai-kun

Banned
LCfiner said:
I'm not there yet but I read there is only a single flying machine mission. so when you get it, have your finger on the power button if you don't kick a guy before the mission ends. :lol

Or just kill yourself before you finish, which isn't too hard. :lol

Ranger X

BeeDog said:
Since the game autosaves (ugh), is there a way to know when you get this mission? So I can backup the save if possible, or something.

Well, don't sleep on the story and what happens on screen and it should be evident when the flying machine mission starts. Also, the mission is named "Infrequent flyer" or something like that.

Dead

well not really...yet
halp

Im at the end
In front of the Codex wall, I have them all aligned properly but nothing is happening

am I missing something here??

Gribbix

Dead said:
halp

Im at the end
In front of the Codex wall, I have them all aligned properly but nothing is happening

am I missing something here??
Are you sure they're all properly aligned? I had a similar problem but noticed that one of the codexes in the upper right quadrant wasn't correctly aligned. Make sure that all the little Assassin symbols are correctly oriented. A little jingle will play if you've done it correctly. If you only hear a jingle but nothing happens, then you haven't yet reached the part of the story where it's required.

Dead

well not really...yet
I guess I messed up by
placing the apple on the pedestal first. I re-did it and then put the apple at the end and it worked fine

Finished the game. Easily my GOTY. Can't wait for hopefully some nice DCL :)

So the flying machine is only used once? I hope its used in the map with the one viewpoint I cannot get to- I think it's the church in the first map. The roof is completely circular with no way to latch onto anything to climb up.. =/

jett

D-Member
Square Triangle said:
So the flying machine is only used once? I hope its used in the map with the one viewpoint I cannot get to- I think it's the church in the first map. The roof is completely circular with no way to latch onto anything to climb up.. =/

What, the Duomo? I'm not sure if the viewpoint is at the top-top. Isn't there a ledge somewhere?

Ranger X

Square Triangle said:

You don't need the flying machine for reaching anything in the game like feathers or viewpoints.
It's just you didn't find how to climb that building of yours :)

Just beat this, also my GotY thus far.

Very well done. Lots of content. I didn't really understand how the
Codex and the Truth
thing fit together until the end though...not sure what to think of all that now. I'm not too heavily invested in the plot of this franchise so I just sorta brushed it off. I liked the Dan Brown style conspiracy stuff alot though.

I'd be interested in a very different change of scenery for the next one. I never played AC1 but AC2 has given me all of the "Old Europe" vibe I think I need for some time. I'd like to see something very different for the next one. Even towards the end of this one, I was beginning to get a little bored with some of the areas, it started out super fresh and around Forli I started feeling less impressed, and by the middle part of venice, I had just seen too much to be wowed anymore. The
Carnivale
stuff was really cool but I was just sorta trying to finish the game by that point so it didn't resonate as much with me as some of the earlier areas did.

Oh and on a side note, I've only played 2 Ubisoft games this gen (PoP being the other), does their company like, have some sort of policy about easy achievements? I'm not hatin, I prefer the easier ones, but both games definitely felt as though they were pandering to achievement whores with how easy they were to get...:D I didn't 1000 either game, but I've gotten around 900 for both (I can easily max out AC2 if I feel like doing the feathers and like 3 other misc ones).

This is one of the most beautiful games I have ever laid eyes on.

QUESTION: I am still in the first area, and you know how to start a memory you go find the exclamation points on the map? Well my dude has an exclamation point on him all the time. What the hell does that mean. Do I need to activate it somehow? Or is it just a glitch?

Beaulieu

Liara T'Soni said:
Just beat this, also my GotY thus far.

Very well done. Lots of content. I didn't really understand how the
Codex and the Truth
thing fit together until the end though...not sure what to think of all that now. I'm not too heavily invested in the plot of this franchise so I just sorta brushed it off. I liked the Dan Brown style conspiracy stuff alot though.

I'd be interested in a very different change of scenery for the next one. I never played AC1 but AC2 has given me all of the "Old Europe" vibe I think I need for some time. I'd like to see something very different for the next one. Even towards the end of this one, I was beginning to get a little bored with some of the areas, it started out super fresh and around Forli I started feeling less impressed, and by the middle part of venice, I had just seen too much to be wowed anymore. The
Carnivale
stuff was really cool but I was just sorta trying to finish the game by that point
so it didn't resonate as much with me as some of the earlier areas did.

... you must not play a lot of games if thats you goty with the comments you give.

Ranger X said:
You don't need the flying machine for reaching anything in the game like feathers or viewpoints.
It's just you didn't find how to climb that building of yours :)

Yeah lol, I think that's it. I've just circled the damn place at least 4 times looking for a brick sticking out or something! :lol

Beaulieu said:
... you must not play a lot of games if thats you goty with the comments you give.

Getting a bit tired of the setting that late in the game doesn't mean it was a bad game or that it can't be my GOTY. Everything about the game is solid as fuck, Ubisoft deserves heavy kudos. I just got a little bored with Italy at the end. Venice sounded like such a good idea, but I found myself annoyed by having to work around the water. The swimming speed of Ezio is a little slow for my taste. Keep in mind that I beat this within like, 2 weeks, and probably only took like 10 sit-downs to finish it. Once I figured the game out so to speak, I got into a pretty consistent pattern and it became a bit of a "plug and chug". I probably burnt out on it so quickly because of this.

I actually forgot about Borderlands when I made that statement, I guess it's more of a toss up between BL and AC2 for my GOTY.

No game is perfect, and many (even the best ones) tend to have massive problems. I wasn't trying to be overly critical.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Finished it today, 31 hours total, 99.2% complete thanks to a missing Secret Location that I believe is only available as a preorder code or something. Thanks, Ubi.

Loved the ending, loved the tease to the next one, loved the whole damn thing. GotY 2009 by a light year.

JBuccCP

edit: My thoughts on the game have cooled a bit after I finished the story and started doing most of the side stuff and tombs. Still a good game but not longer a goty contender. The ease of the combat is by far the biggest problem in the game. It makes some of the cool stuff they added like weapons and armor little more than eye candy after a certain point. Most seem to be gushing about the tombs but I thought they were very hit and miss and really demonstrated that this type of auto-platforming works better in a non-linear environment. AI is also pretty dumb. Rewards for the collect-a-thons were horrible. The cities are still great and my favorite parts are the random stuff that happens when you're chasing someone. And looking back even though I just finished a couple days ago I can only remember a couple of the main assassinations. It's much better than AC1 but still a lot of room to improve for AC3.

jett

D-Member
HEH I just had 5 guards run away from me, buncha pussies these italians. BTW Ezio looks real badass without any armor...I think I'm gonna leave him just like that for the rest of the game in this playthrough(my second one).

Mana Sin

jett said:
HEH I just had 5 guards run away from me, buncha pussies these italians. BTW Ezio looks real badass without any armor...I think I'm gonna leave him just like that for the rest of the game in this playthrough(my second one).

This is why I still have yet to kill 10 dudes in one battle :'( they all keep running away!

Mana Sin

Grimm Fandango said:
I would kill enough so that there is about 3 left then try to find more guards. Rinse and repeat.

I've actually done that, but then they started running away in groups of four...

I absolutely hate the double-double assassination bug. Perform a double assassination twice consecutively and you have a guaranteed freeze. So. Annoying.

jett

D-Member
AW SNAP 40 hours playing and I just watched this kill for the first time. In the middle of the fight position yourself behind a guard and you might just get to see Ezio stuck his dual hidden blades in his back and run them all the way down. So awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
i am 30 hours in and just reached Forlì... how much longer do I have to go? Note I finished all missions available before I got to Forlì (courier, assassination, racing, etc) as well as unlocked every treasure box and updated the Villa as far as possible in this part of the game, so I am not sure I'll have many sidemissions to go back to in Florence or Tuscany.

I cannot believe how much time I am getting out of this game :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Amir0x said:
i am 30 hours in and just reached Forlì... how much longer do I have to go? Note I finished all missions available before I got to Forlì (courier, assassination, racing, etc) as well as unlocked every treasure box and updated the Villa as far as possible in this part of the game, so I am not sure I'll have many sidemissions to go back to in Florence or Tuscany.

You spend a ton of time in Venice...I'd say you're halfway, maybe less. Especially if you keep doing the side stuff.

Anyway, I just 1000'd this today. I did this for 1 also, but I think it goes without saying that it was much more enjoyable in 2. :lol

jett

D-Member
Amir0x said:

You're not even halfway through the story. Hot Damn. And I thought my game of 30 hours lasted a long time. :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Amir0x said:

You've got TONS left. Venice is cyclopean.

Zeliard

Amir0x said:

I just got to Forli recently too, and I was surprised by how big it was. I STILL haven't been to Venice. :lol

The assassination contracts in Forli are fun. And the Wetlands Ebony dye is so awesome.

God I'm loving this game. Just unwrapped it today, and put at least 6 hours in. Killing dudes is sooooo satisfying.

Will I ever get to renovate my actual house? It's looking a little run down.

This game is HUGE. I've already put more hours into this game than most of the big shooters this year, and I'm *still* unlocking gameplay elements.

I thought I'd be running around like a bad ass, hopping from rooftop to rooftop, slaying guards in devious fashions, and I am - but I'm also
renovating churches! tearing down wanted posters!
and generally fucking with the social status quo for kicks.

And that doesn't even include the damn story. I'm about 12 hours in and it feels like I've barely even started.

I'm still getting a handle on things, since some minor tweaks from the AC1 formula have me stumbling a bit. Doesn't seem nearly as easy to get a running hidden blade kill with AC2. Seems like I HAVE to get a lock on an enemy for the lunge to happen, otherwise I whiff with it instead of doing the awesome leap of neck gouging glory. AC1 was more forgiving with its ad-hoc locking it seems.

Also, why is
pickpocketing even in this game? In AC1 you needed it to replenish your throwing knives, but so far I get a measly handful of florins, and maybe a throwing knife if I'm lucky. Considering how much cash you can rake in just from your Villa, not to mention chests and the like, it doesn't seem like there is anything to gain from pickpocketing. Does this mechanic open up as I get further into the game?

Veelk

Banned
How does everyone here like the parkour system? I ask because, while I love this free roaming PoP: SoT style of running, especially compared to the QTE-esqe style the new PoP sports, I do have one major issue with it. If you are in a race, or even just running to a destination in general, if you misjudge anything at all, distance, direction, etc, even the lightest bit, it completely fucks you over. You fall in the water, you fall in the streets, and it takes you FOREVER to get back on track to where you were. In races, where you are running to try to reach the checkpoints in time, it's very frustrating and very easy to mess up. Atleast it is for me. My friend, who I feel is abnormally good at gaming, especially platformers, says he always won each race on his first try and never had the problem I'm describing. I've been playing the game for over 30 hours now, so I've gotten used to the system and rarely make these mistakes anymore except when I'm in races, where I'm frantically trying to make the goal in time, and when I don't I get more frustrated, making me even more prone to mistakes, and so on. It's a vicious cycle. So, do I just suck, or has anyone else had this problem?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
i'm stuck on a jump.

it's after you wake up and jump around the factory to test yoour retained skills. it's also after you chase someone into a tower. i climb the tower and reach a balcony. there is a stick sticking out and i can't jump on it for shit.

edit. i think i found out how to do it. the ign walk through says to stand directly below it and jump straight up.

DeathNote said:
i'm stuck on a jump.

it's after you wake up and jump around the factory to test yoour retained skills. it's also after you chase someone into a tower. i climb the tower and reach a balcony. there is a stick sticking out and i can't jump on it for shit.

Face the stick and jump straight up by just holding the trigger and hitting the jump button.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Revengeance said:
God I'm loving this game. Just unwrapped it today, and put at least 6 hours in. Killing dudes is sooooo satisfying.

Will I ever get to renovate my actual house? It's looking a little run down.
The house gets renovated as you "upgrade" the village. It will look all nice and shiny by the end of the game.

duckroll

Generic said:
How does everyone here like the parkour system? I ask because, while I love this free roaming PoP: SoT style of running, especially compared to the QTE-esqe style the new PoP sports, I do have one major issue with it. If you are in a race, or even just running to a destination in general, if you misjudge anything at all, distance, direction, etc, even the lightest bit, it completely fucks you over. You fall in the water, you fall in the streets, and it takes you FOREVER to get back on track to where you were. In races, where you are running to try to reach the checkpoints in time, it's very frustrating and very easy to mess up. Atleast it is for me. My friend, who I feel is abnormally good at gaming, especially platformers, says he always won each race on his first try and never had the problem I'm describing. I've been playing the game for over 30 hours now, so I've gotten used to the system and rarely make these mistakes anymore except when I'm in races, where I'm frantically trying to make the goal in time, and when I don't I get more frustrated, making me even more prone to mistakes, and so on. It's a vicious cycle. So, do I just suck, or has anyone else had this problem?

I find that if you are unfamiliar with the terrain of a city, and what to "expect" from the general layout of how poles/buildings/ledges/etc are usually placed in relation to each other, you're more prone to make mistakes if you simply keep moving forward without stopping. In cases like this it would be wiser to observe the surrounding first and learn to maximize the terrain. If not it would also be wise not to constantly run. Instead stop and observe before making the next step. The time you lose from losing momentum is insignificant in comparison with the time you would lose if you fell off completely.

Dibbz

So I finished the game yesterday and it was a lot better than the first but one thing the first outdone AC2 by miles was the soundtrack. I was dissapointed by the end of the game that there were no really good tracks, then I watched the credits roll and I was floored. The best track of the game and it was left until the credits. I think it appeared at the start to but still the rest of the OST was a bit of a let down :(

I had some problems with the music in the game to, as in it would sometimes not play at all. I'd be in a chase across the city and there was no music when I'm sure there should be something playing. Even the last fight had no music until I died and restarted the mission.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
of sort of tangential interest to fans of AC, but i heard on the news that if you look left of jupiter you can see the ALTAIR star pretty clearly tonight.

Falt

Just
became an assassin "officially", finished the prophet
. Loving the game, such a step up in everyway. So much to do and while it's all based around the same gameplay dynamic it never really gets old. They certainly broke the bane of repetition.

The only downside is the lighting. Someone else mentioned earlier that the gamma is off or something (360) and I have to agree.

I just picked up a new TV 2 days ago so I had to adjust the settings anyway and I figured it might be my HDMI config but I've played other titles and they're fine. I'm constantly messing with the TV settings while playing AC. The day/night cycle doesn't help, when I find a happy medium during the day it's completely off during the night and vice versa. It's hindered my enjoyment just a little.

Solo

Goddamn this thread is such a tease. The game sounds so incredible. 2 more weeks :(

Anyways, this motherfucker is getting top billing (aka first playing) over Uncharted 2, Demons Souls, Batman AA, and the other 7 or so games waiting in the backlog.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i look forward to your impressions, solo. it's my contention that ubi montreal did essentially what everyone hoped they would do after playing AC: take what were some fantastic ideas marred by underdeveloped game design and expound upon that. comparing the blending systems in AC and AC2 is a perfect microcosm for comparing the games in total: AC2's feels so much more natural and useful and most importantly, fun. the whole thing feels that way to me.

Top Bottom