• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

duckroll said:
An AC game set in feudal Japan would be pretty hilarious. There would be 1 viewpoint per city, every single building will look identical, and instead of huge cities, you'll be horse riding through long mountainous roads and forest passages just to get between many tiny ass villages and castle towns. Not sure if want. :p

I dunno, sneaking around Osaka castle and the surrounding barracks could be kind of cool. Got a point about the viewpoints though. Maybe they could just make one viewpoint for each town from a surrounding mountain ;p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Saboteur already did it, otherwise that game's setting and gameplay style would be suitable for a potential AC3 imho.

MMaRsu

chandoog said:
The Saboteur already did it, otherwise that game's setting and gameplay style would be suitable for a potential AC3 imho.
WWII again? No fucking thanks. I'm sick of that shit.

Looking at ACII I'm happy they chose a time period in which not many games are featured. I would love to see them continue that with ACIII. Stay original Ubi!

Porkepik

I would very much like an AC set in 19th century industrial revolution era england/usa. Nice architecture, gritty violent world(jack the ripper tie in loll) They can keep the prostitutes and just change their wardrobe.

I find it quite possible to implement this with all the thomas edison/Tesla talk in the truth files

Solo

Baker said:
I'm almost to point that I wouldn't care if they farmed it out to Treyarch or something. :lol

Why would you say such a thing? Thats like handing it off to the C, no, D team :lol Besides, Ubi Montreal has done a great job at cranking these out every 2 years.

AC3 will hit November 15 or 22 in 2011, book it.

Solo

jett said:
No you're right, it's pretty much impossible to top Venice and Florence, nevermind renaissance Venice and Florence. They screwed themselves there. :p

I dunno. Ancient Rome or Greece or Egypt would be pretty swank.

duckroll

Okay erm..... I just noticed this but...... In Florence, if you try to go south any further than the bridge at the bottom of the map, there's actually MORE of the city, but you just can't go there. When you get near it, it says "Area not yet available" and you get the desync warning if you go beyond that. In fact, while I was notorious, when I did that the map actually showed a herald and a bunch of wanted posters in that region I had no access to.

.......DLC?

Edit: Also the game is fucking buggy. It just froze on me AGAIN. This time right after I finished an assassination contract in Tuscany. I did a dual air assassination and got my target and the guy I followed to get to him. Then some enemies got alerted and I did a dual assassination in their faces. BAM! FREEZE! Ugh...

glaurung

duckroll said:
Okay erm..... I just noticed this but...... In Florence, if you try to go south any further than the bridge at the bottom of the map, there's actually MORE of the city, but you just can't go there. When you get near it, it says "Area not yet available" and you get the desync warning if you go beyond that. In fact, while I was notorious, when I did that the map actually showed a herald and a bunch of wanted posters in that region I had no access to.

.......DLC?

Edit: Also the game is fucking buggy. It just froze on me AGAIN. This time right after I finished an assassination contract in Tuscany. I did a dual air assassination and got my target and the guy I followed to get to him. Then some enemies got alerted and I did a dual assassination in their faces. BAM! FREEZE! Ugh...
I think you get to go everywhere by the end of the game.

As for bugs, the game froze just once for me on PS3. It was pretty near the beginning, I was running around with Ezio, suddenly the audio cuts out and some moments later, the game freezes and I need to do a manual power off for the console.

Other bugs included magical teleportation through walls in Venice - if there is a wanted poster on the other side of the wall and you press circle to remove it, presto - you're on the other side of the wall.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
glaurung said:

As for bugs, the game froze just once for me on PS3. It was pretty near the beginning, I was running around with Ezio, suddenly the audio cuts out and some moments later, the game freezes and I need to do a manual power off for the console.

Other bugs included magical teleportation through walls in Venice - if there is a wanted poster on the other side of the wall and you press circle to remove it, presto - you're on the other side of the wall.
nah, that section of Florence remains closed off.

duckroll

glaurung said:

Dude, I've beaten the game ages ago. I'm just playing to complete everything else now. :p

Yes that's how it is, except my audio doesn't cut out either. It froze on me 3 times over the course of my game, and this is the 4th time.

Other awesome bugs I've encountered include falling and getting suck in a part of a building and having to quit and load. I've also had enemy targets on the minimap get stuck on my cursor, even after they're dead. I ran all over Venice with 2 red targets stuck on my cursor, and they only vanished after to traveled to another city. Lulz.

This is definitely my GOTY so far, but it's the buggiest GOTY contender I've played in forever.

[Nintex]

I just did my coolest move yet.

There was a group of five guards, I jumped down and had two in one blow, stood up and stabbed the other two in the neck with my arms spread and killed the shocked last guard with a stab in the back. Overall, it took me less than 2 seconds to kill them. :D

glaurung

duckroll said:
Dude, I've beaten the game ages ago. I'm just playing to complete everything else now.
OK, I just finished the main story last night and I thought I had access to all locations by that time.

It'd be weird if they did some DLC for Florence and NOT DO it for Rome...

The bugs you're describing sound worse than anything I've seen during my game time.

What about the last missing weapon for the Villa and what about the two treasure icons on the map below the villa? How do I get there?

duckroll

glaurung said:
What about the last missing weapon for the Villa and what about the two treasure icons on the map below the villa? How do I get there?

The last weapon is available at the Villa blacksmith after you collect 50 feathers. I dunno what treasures you're talking about because I got them all in the Villa and none of them were particularly hard to find.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
The last weapon is available at the Villa blacksmith after you collect 50 feathers. I dunno what treasures you're talking about because I got them all in the Villa and none of them were particularly hard to find.
The only one that can be tricky is the one you can get to from the outside of the village's wall.

Dazzyman

kamorra said:
Someone from my PSN friend list, MrPertusato
who is still waiting to getting approved here
, asked me to post this:

Ok I'm out. Still have to play AC2 and don't want to read any spoilers.

I rented it on 360 today to test it (if its any better was going to buy it as will get me rental cost back) and its no different with frame rate their identical to PS3. It has more definition to the textures but its minor (games looking old anyway), loading identical, tearing tbh hardly that different not as bad as PS3 but still bad and its really really dark like they messed up either the gamma or forgot to put half the dynamic lighting in.

Basically either version your going to get the same whether its PS3 or 360 so Im off back to PS3 one as prefer the pad and my trading it to get 360 ones gone out the window. Maybe PC version when that comes out.

Dunno why they made such a sub 30fps game though as the textures arent taxing either machine! Characters look like they had some form of car accident!

Amir0x

Banned
For setting in ACIII, do they HAVE to go forward in time? Personally seeing the statues of the various Assassin's in the room in ACII, I'd want to play as some of them. Some of them seem badass.

Maybe there'd be some reason they would need to go further back in time, something obscured by the mist. I don't know.

[Nintex]

Amir0x said:
For setting in ACIII, do they HAVE to go forward in time? Personally seeing the statues of the various Assassin's in the room in ACII, I'd want to play as some of them. Some of them seem badass.
I was happy when I saw that, like: YES they can make 6 more sequels/prequels/rail shooters for Wii =D

Zzoram

Amir0x said:

Maybe there'd be some reason they would need to go further back in time, something obscured by the mist. I don't know.

They probably won't go much forward, and could explore backwards. The issue is that the further forward they go, the more prominent guns will become and the less effective an assassin with daggers up his sleeve will be.

Solo

Amir0x said:
For setting in ACIII, do they HAVE to go forward in time?

Ive been saying all along that they should go backwards, way earlier than the crusades. Roman Empire ftw. Id love to see Ubi render the Colosseum and such.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
[Nintex] said:
I was happy when I saw that, like: YES they can make 6 more sequels/prequels/rail shooters for Wii =D

wouldn't that make them rail stabbers?

I can't seem to get very excited about a game this lengthy completely set in ancient Egypt, however.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Amir0x said:

It would take away the dual hidden blade though. I love that weapon. Just walk up to two guards, stab them in the head and keep moving like it's everyday business.

jey_16

Banned
now that i have finished the story, i think i will go and learn all the proper combat moves....all i really used most of the time was the hidden blade or the counter move with the sword. I just looked at youtube and there are some awesome combos that i wish i had used before

cant be bothered finding all the feathers

jett

D-Member
Duckroll: I think that souterhn Florence area gets unlocked with one of the retail-exclusive DLC...I think. When you buy the Florence map it shows the that part unfogged, too. :p

kamorra said:
Someone from my PSN friend list, MrPertusato
who is still waiting to getting approved here
, asked me to post this:

Ok I'm out. Still have to play AC2 and don't want to read any spoilers.

I think I have it on the default settings...eh. I had bitmapping on 1, I turned it off and the framerate looks the same so far.

[Nintex] said:
This game is dark? It looks really vibrant and bright actually.

The 360 version definitely as messed up gamma and crushed blacks all over the place.

duckroll

jett said:
Duckroll: I think that souterhn Florence area gets unlocked with one of the retail-exclusive DLC...I think. When you buy the Florence map it shows the that part unfogged, too. :p

WTF! That's serious bullshit.

Also, I found that you can actually replay memories of the Assassin Tombs, which is pretty cool, just not the main story memories. So the functionality is still IN the game, they just removed it for story memories for whatever reason. Wtf. Ubisoft!!!!!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
[Nintex] said:
This game is dark? It looks really vibrant and bright actually.

Likewise, it only gets a little bit darker during the day to night transition but otherwise it's all crisp and clear (360 version here) for me.

Dazzyman

:lol It shouldnt be a little bit darker day or night it should be much darker in night with the lighting affecking the area.

Thats prob I had with it. Night time PS3 its very balanced with the gamma setting, no crushed blacks and great dynamic lighitng but its dark as it should be. 360 its either crushed or you alter brightness to counter it then its just washed out at night.

Mana Sin

I'm personally hoping for the thing talked about during a Desmond segment.
The visiting of the memories w/o an Animus. S16 couldn't control it, but why not Desmond?

With that ability, why couldn't Desmond simply hop around time? Visiting important events that his ancestors must have be involved in.
S16 and him are apparently related by blood, though I think it's rather distant after by the present. This could make it possible for Desmond to visit the very same ancestors 16 babbled about in the glyph puzzles.

Every memory could offer a new skill as well as part of the plot-line. Maybe AC3 will the a P.o.E. hunting focused game. Need the memories to see where the ancestors hid the P.oE.s so they can nab them before Abstergo.

This solution makes it so that many times can be visited, and actually make the Desmond parts a little more interesting.
Desmond going through a catacomb-like level to reach a P.o.E.
?

However, this might make the game itself a bit huge... Two Blu-rays? (I have no idea about this stuff though.)

Dead

well not really...yet
jett said:
It doesn't

The Retail DLCs all take place inside Buildings available in the existing areas. They just unlock a door that you enter.

jett

D-Member
Dead said:
It doesn't

The Retail DLCs all take place inside Buildings available in the existing areas. They just unlock a door that you enter.

I guess they're gonna make us pay to access that then...

Talon

Got this game yesterday by Amazon...alongside a GameFly notification that AC2 had shipped. Thought that I wouldn't mind the $15 difference, and popped it in my 360.

Damn, am I glad I decided to buy this. Absolutely phenomenal. It's an improvement over ACI in every degree with the exception of some fickle controls. Just got to the villa, and I'm loving the game. I realize that the game's practically GTA, but I'm enjoying this game a lot more than any GTA. Something about freerunning and sneaking up on targets is more exciting than driving around, guns blazing.

GotY for me so far.
Zzoram said:
They probably won't go much forward, and could explore backwards. The issue is that the further forward they go, the more prominent guns will become and the less effective an assassin with daggers up his sleeve will be.
Not to mention the whole car thing. And not being able to traverse modern cities.

Damn I'd love an Assassin's Creed in Chinese Antiquity.

jett

D-Member
Talon- said:
Got this game yesterday by Amazon...alongside a GameFly notification that AC2 had shipped. Thought that I wouldn't mind the $15 difference, and popped it in my 360.

Damn, am I glad I decided to buy this. Absolutely phenomenal. It's an improvement over ACI in every degree with the exception of some fickle controls. Just got to the villa, and I'm loving the game. I realize that the game's practically GTA, but I'm enjoying this game a lot more than any GTA. Something about freerunning and sneaking up on targets is more exciting than driving around, guns blazing.

GotY for me so far.

Not to mention the whole car thing. And not being able to traverse modern cities.

Damn I'd love an Assassin's Creed in Chinese Antiquity.

Shoving a dagger down somebody's throat is always going to be more satisfying than shooting from 100 feet away. :p

Zeliard

jett said:
Shoving a dagger down somebody's throat is always going to be more satisfying than shooting from 100 feet away. :p

Especially if your guy has the fashion sense of a guy like Ezio and not Niko. :p

Ranger X

duckroll said:
WTF! That's serious bullshit.

Also, I found that you can actually replay memories of the Assassin Tombs, which is pretty cool, just not the main story memories. So the functionality is still IN the game, they just removed it for story memories for whatever reason. Wtf. Ubisoft!!!!!

For the first thing, it's indeed bullshit. Nobody is having southern florence.
For the second, while I don't know if I can tell about the reasons specifically, choices are made when you devellop a game and it's all thought out. It's all for a reason, the feature obviously been cut but not hazardeously or in-between blonde jokes at some lunch time.

I also thing it's sad to not have the full replay feature but I know of some even more cool things that have been cut and that nobody of you know of. I hope you as well can enjoy the game for what it offers.

duckroll

Ranger X said:
For the first thing, it's indeed bullshit. Nobody is having southern florence.

Okay, that's good to know. I would feel very upset if it was some half-assed attempt to get me to buy the LE instead.

For the second, while I don't know if I can tell about the reasons specifically, choices are made when you devellop a game and it's all thought out. It's all for a reason, the feature obviously been cut but not hazardeously or in-between blonde jokes at some lunch time.

I also thing it's sad to not have the full replay feature but I know of some even more cool things that have been cut and that nobody of you know of. I hope you as well can enjoy the game for what it offers.

Well, I think it is very clear that people have enjoyed the game for what it offers, and enjoyed it A LOT. But I think it would be fair to fans of the game to also consider what we would like out of the game, especially for features which we understand have been cut for development reasons, but can possibly be patched in at a later time.

Mana Sin

I'm glad the construction groups were cut. I don't wanna blow up Venezia's bridges, even if I had guards after me. Acrobat groups also sounded bleh... What else was cut? Are you not allowed to share the information?

Ubi really needs to release an expansion disc sometime.

Zeliard

duckroll said:
Well, I think it is very clear that people have enjoyed the game for what it offers, and enjoyed it A LOT. But I think it would be fair to fans of the game to also consider what we would like out of the game, especially for features which we understand have been cut for development reasons, but can possibly be patched in at a later time.

Giant squid boss fight. :lol

Hit the weak spot for massive damage.

Ranger X

Mana Sin said:
I'm glad the construction groups were cut. I don't wanna blow up Venezia's bridges, even if I had guards after me. Acrobat groups also sounded bleh... What else was cut? Are you not allowed to share the information?

Ubi really needs to release an expansion disc sometime.

The biggest cut was the city editor.

lawl

Ranger X

duckroll said:

Don't worry, I know Ubi is watching. AC2 improvements were almost entirely driven by people and fans after all.

Mana Sin said:
I'm not exactly sad to see that was taken out.. I bought AC2, not Sims: Renaissance.

I hope you get that I wasn't serious there :lol
Of course a city editor never existed.

jett

D-Member
Ranger X said:
The biggest cut was the city editor.

lawl

BTW Ranger X there's a bug in the PS3 version with the "action camera" option. I set it to to 4/4 afer playing for a while in my first game and it rarely showed up during counter kills. Started a new game with it already set at 4/4 and it happens constantly now, as it should. :p

Top Bottom