• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Truant

Ugh, does the 360 version tear as much as the PS3 one? I'm seriously considering switching platforms at this point. The game also looks pretty blurry, but I guess that's just because I'm used to AC1 on PC.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Truant said:
Ugh, does the 360 version tear as much as the PS3 one? I'm seriously considering switching platforms at this point. The game also looks pretty blurry, but I guess that's just because I'm used to AC1 on PC.

I only noticed tearing on the 360 during cutscenes, never anywhere else.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Truant said:

Nope, hardly any tearing in it at all.

krioto

Truant said:

I think that would be an over-reaction - my ps3 copy is fine, although maybe my unsophisticated eyes are covering up the 'shocking' screen tearing for me.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Finished this last friday night, the story at least, still gotta get all the towers, feathers, treasures. I did get all the tombs and glyphs. Overall, pretty good game, third on my GOTY-list for 2009 (with Uncharted 2 and Batman being 1 & 2). The ending was fuckawesome IMHO
although I hoped to see more of Rome than just St Peter's and the fact that Borgia just wouldn't die bugged me a bit, Ezio cloning himself to fuck Borgia over was pretty sweet, Minerva talking to Desmond instead of Ezio was a nice touch.

I'm glad they took steps forward with this game in regard to AC1. I'm just hoping they sauce up the combat in AC3, the story focussed a little more on Desmond and the futurebits get as much attention to detail as they do in the past-sections.

Truant

Papercuts said:
I only noticed tearing on the 360 during cutscenes, never anywhere else.

Alright, might just borrow a 360 copy from a guy at work. I wasn't quite feeling the controls, either. The framerate was fine, though. Shame about the tearing.

Zaphyr

Neo Member
krioto said:
I think that would be an over-reaction - my ps3 copy is fine, although maybe my unsophisticated eyes are covering up the 'shocking' screen tearing for me.

Yeah I never notice any on my ps3, guess I'm 'blessed' with bad eyes.

Falt

This has probably been asked but, Altair's costume which you unlock via Uplay. Is there anyway to switch back to Ezio's gear? In the Villa I can switch out armor but it doesn't change my appearance, just the stats.

I have a feeling I'm overlooking something ridiculously straight forward with this :/

adamsapple

Falt said:
This has probably been asked but, Altair's costume which you unlock via Uplay. Is there anyway to switch back to Ezio's gear? In the Villa I can switch out armor but it doesn't change my appearance, just the stats.

I have a feeling I'm overlooking something ridiculously straight forward with this :/

It's in the start button Options menu I think

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Falt said:

Outfits in the Inventory-menu? I dunno, I haven't messed with UPlay yet.

Dibbz

What is UPlay all about? I went on it and it seemed to be just a store of some sort with nothing on it. Had some achievments or something there but I couldn't do anything with them.

Falt

Start>Inventory>Outfits doesn't work. You can select capes and they are in affect, but it doesn't change your appearance. I'll check out options when I get home.

I've finished the game. I'm just running around grabbing feathers and I'm digging the altair costume, but not being able to switch out costumes easily is odd.

Dibbz said:
What is UPlay all about? I went on it and it seemed to be just a store of some sort with nothing on it. Had some achievments or something there but I couldn't do anything with them.

Certain achievements in game unlock Uplay points which allow you to purchase exclusive Uplay items. I've unlocked Altair's costume, Auditore's Assassin Tomb and Extra Throwing Knives so far. I'm not sure if that's it or if there's more to unlock. The interface for Uplay could be a little more user friendly even though it's straight forward it's not exactly clear what's what imo.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
probably the biggest compliment i can pay to AC2 is that it lives up to my expectations for AC1.

i am constantly amazed while playing that a game like this got made; ten years ago, i couldn't have even fathomed such a thing would be possible.

the very definition of "awe-inspiring"

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on getting the bonus areas that came with the special editions for the people that bought the standard copy of the game?

Falt said:
Start>Inventory>Outfits doesn't work. You can select capes and they are in affect, but it doesn't change your appearance. I'll check out options when I get home.

I've finished the game. I'm just running around grabbing feathers and I'm digging the altair costume, but not being able to switch out costumes easily is odd.

Certain achievements in game unlock Uplay points which allow you to purchase exclusive Uplay items. I've unlocked Altair's costume, Auditore's Assassin Tomb and Extra Throwing Knives so far. I'm not sure if that's it or if there's more to unlock. The interface for Uplay could be a little more user friendly even though it's straight forward it's not exactly clear what's what imo.
I don't see where I'm supposed to unlock this stuff in the uplay interface.

I'm having a hard time killing guys fast enough with smoke without using the hidden blade (to avoid the double assassination freeze bug)... argh, last trophy and it's driving me crazy. I don't revel in the thought that I'll have to replay the game to get back to a mission where this can be easily done.

Minamu

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I'm having a hard time killing guys fast enough with smoke without using the hidden blade (to avoid the double assassination freeze bug)... argh, last trophy and it's driving me crazy. I don't revel in the thought that I'll have to replay the game to get back to a mission where this can be easily done.
10 kills without gettign hit right? I never used smoke bombs. I just aggroed a few soldiers, killed most but not all so they wouldn't run away (kill the fast runners!) & then I escaped the battle & ran towards a different group of soldiers while the previous guys chased me. As long as you counter-kill, you should be fine. Getting punched doesn't seem to matter. There's usually tons of soldiers outside that big castle in the middle of Venice.

beelzebozo said:
probably the biggest compliment i can pay to AC2 is that it lives up to my expectations for AC1.

i am constantly amazed while playing that a game like this got made; ten years ago, i couldn't have even fathomed such a thing would be possible.

the very definition of "awe-inspiring"

I was thinking similar things last night while playing it for the first time. I never played AC1. Every so often I stopped any thought, "I can't believe I'm doing all this." You're right, ten years ago this would not have been imagined.

daw840

So, I decided to pick this up over the weekend. I am loving it so far!

One thing that made me almost fall out of my chair is when you meet
Mario and he says "Itsa Me.....MARIO!!"

Amir0x

Banned
daw840 said:
So, I decided to pick this up over the weekend. I am loving it so far!

One thing that made me almost fall out of my chair is when you meet
Mario and he says "Itsa Me.....MARIO!!"

yah i giggled to myself there

Sweet fancy moses, do I have a tale of woe to tell you people...

I picked up this game last week and had been playing it non-stop since then (probably a good 25 hours or so). I was absolutely loving it. I had been climbing to the top of every viewpoint, buying very piece of armor and weapon I saw, upgrading the villa to 100%, searching out feathers and loot, etc... I freaking loved the game. I was probably close to completing 90% of the optional side stuff, and I NEVER do that in videogames, but damnit I loved this one.

Then I got to the end of Sequence 11. I had just been
inducted into the league of assassins and was waking up from the animus in the hideout.

I had to leave the apartment in a hurry, so I shut down my Xbox in the middle of the cutscene where you wake up. The next day, I went back to play the game and found that I am completely stuck in the hideout. I can't go back into the animus. There's nothing and no one in the hideout to do contextually. This was my only game save, so I'm pretty much fucked. I need to start all over again. I've lost well over 20 hours of time spent on this incredible game.

My question is this: I don't know much about videogame design, why wouldn't Ubisoft cache past checkpoints? Why can't the game revert back to the previous point? Why am I stuck in the hideout like this? This is a pretty awful glitch if you ask me. I've lost a shitload of time on this game and I'm pretty pissed. Anyone else here at GAF have this problem?

Autofokus

@The Wise Old Man
Did you
check out the warehouse at the hideout? They want to "test your new skills" and you need to flip some switches, climbing stuff. Maybe you never got to see the cutscene with the instructions because you turned off your 360.

Give it a try.

PowderedToast

Autofokus said:
@The Wise Old Man
Did you
check out the warehouse at the hideout? They want to "test your new skills" and you need to flip some switches, climbing stuff. Maybe you never got to see the cutscene with the instructions because you turned off your 360.

Give it a try.
that's not it, it happened to me and it's a game breaking bug. I wrote about it previously in this thread in case any ubi devs read it. you'll have to start over, and yeah it fucking sucks.

Ranger X

The Wise Old Man said:
Sweet fancy moses, do I have a tale of woe to tell you people...

I picked up this game last week and had been playing it non-stop since then (probably a good 25 hours or so). I was absolutely loving it. I had been climbing to the top of every viewpoint, buying very piece of armor and weapon I saw, upgrading the villa to 100%, searching out feathers and loot, etc... I freaking loved the game. I was probably close to completing 90% of the optional side stuff, and I NEVER do that in videogames, but damnit I loved this one.

Then I got to the end of Sequence 11. I had just been
inducted into the league of assassins and was waking up from the animus in the hideout.

I had to leave the apartment in a hurry, so I shut down my Xbox in the middle of the cutscene where you wake up. The next day, I went back to play the game and found that I am completely stuck in the hideout. I can't go back into the animus. There's nothing and no one in the hideout to do contextually. This was my only game save, so I'm pretty much fucked. I need to start all over again. I've lost well over 20 hours of time spent on this incredible game.

My question is this: I don't know much about videogame design, why wouldn't Ubisoft cache past checkpoints? Why can't the game revert back to the previous point? Why am I stuck in the hideout like this? This is a pretty awful glitch if you ask me. I've lost a shitload of time on this game and I'm pretty pissed. Anyone else here at GAF have this problem?

Have you been downstairs talking to Lucy? There's nothing to do in the office but you need to go downstairs to practice some moves.

/beaten is seems.

I can't seem to find any word from Ubi about when they plan on patching this stuff. At least the double assassination freeze should be cake to patch since it's so widely reproducible at the drop of a hat.

Ranger X said:
Have you been downstairs talking to Lucy? There's nothing to do in the office but you need to go downstairs to practice some moves.

/beaten is seems.

Yeah, that's earlier in the game. This is later on and it's not something that can be fixed by flipping switches in the warehouse. There's no contextual stuff I can do at all. I'm stuck. I can however jump out of teh warehouse and swim around in the skybox outside... )Oddly enough the hideout i actually an Italian castle)

But yea, this is definitely a game-ending bug that has cost me to lose well over 20 hours of exploration in ACII. It would be nice if Ubisoft at least ACKNOWLEDGED the problem, but over on their messageboards, they're not replying to me.

Believe me, I would much rather have the assasination freeze or some screen tearing or some other minor glitch that you guys are talking about...

This glitch is a game ender that has cost me a shitload of time...

Falt said:

From Start>Inventory>Outfits select the unequip option. On the 360 it's the X button, on the PS3 it's square. You'll go back to whatever armor you had on previously.

adg1034

The Wise Old Man said:
(Oddly enough the hideout i actually an Italian castle)

Muchos sympathias for your save-losing experience, but though I haven't finished the game yet, I remember noticing that, during my walk through the hideout, all the signs were, in fact, in Italian. No clue what that means, and who knows- maybe it'll end up having some sort of greater meaning come the endgame- but it's got me thinking.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I can't seem to find any word from Ubi about when they plan on patching this stuff. At least the double assassination freeze should be cake to patch since it's so widely reproducible at the drop of a hat.

Okay, whatever - I finally got the Platinum. I just had to exercise more restraint when assassinating a large group of guards by the restricted area in Venice and use three rounds of smoke bombs taking care to only kill 3-4 guards at a time.

Now that I got the platinum there is no reason to keep this game at all so I guess it's going in for trade while it's still worth something. It seems ubi games trade values drop like rocks.

Ranger X

The Wise Old Man said:
Yeah, that's earlier in the game. This is later on and it's not something that can be fixed by flipping switches in the warehouse. There's no contextual stuff I can do at all. I'm stuck. I can however jump out of teh warehouse and swim around in the skybox outside... )Oddly enough the hideout i actually an Italian castle)

But yea, this is definitely a game-ending bug that has cost me to lose well over 20 hours of exploration in ACII. It would be nice if Ubisoft at least ACKNOWLEDGED the problem, but over on their messageboards, they're not replying to me.

Believe me, I would much rather have the assasination freeze or some screen tearing or some other minor glitch that you guys are talking about...

This glitch is a game ender that has cost me a shitload of time...

Wow. Never seen this bug. Looks major (albeit rare). Continue to talk to Ubi with this, the more vocal you are on the forums, the better the chances for this to be fixed. I am personally no aware of this bug or if it's going to be fixed.

bumpkin

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Okay, whatever - I finally got the Platinum. I just had to exercise more restraint when assassinating a large group of guards by the restricted area in Venice and use three rounds of smoke bombs taking care to only kill 3-4 guards at a time.

Now that I got the platinum there is no reason to keep this game at all so I guess it's going in for trade while it's still worth something. It seems ubi games trade values drop like rocks.
Pfft, smoke bombs... I just started shit with a few guards, kept defending/running away until more got involved, then once I had at least 10, I kicked all their asses. Counter-kills FTW. :D

jett

D-Member
Ranger X said:
Wow. Never seen this bug. Looks major (albeit rare). Continue to talk to Ubi with this, the more vocal you are on the forums, the better the chances for this to be fixed. I am personally no aware of this bug or if it's going to be fixed.

I've seen this bug being mentioned before, definitely not an isolated case, and it seems to always happen if you quit during that brief stint
outside the animus

Ranger X

jett said:
I've seen this bug being mentioned before, definitely not an isolated case, and it seems to always happen if you quit during that brief stint
outside the animus

Yes but it must still be an isolated case. If this didn't come out during the testing phase (not that I know if its known or not) it means it's rare. For a big bug like this to happen one time in 100 000 games you could see it on GAF. A minority of gamers will make rare huge bugs like that really apparent. Also because people post their problems on the internet and not posting about everything that works fine. ;)

Meohsix

finished with 99 of 100 feathers THANK GOD the games tells you what part of the city the missing feathers are in or i would have gone crazy looking for it...

Dartastic

I'm missing three codex pages. I'm missing the very top left (1) and right (6) pages, and the page that's one diagonal to the top left one (8). Where are they! Haaaaaalp!

Ranger X

Dartastic said:
I'm missing three codex pages. I'm missing the very top left (1) and right (6) pages, and the page that's one diagonal to the top left one (8). Where are they! Haaaaaalp!

They appear on the game map (unless you didn't activated the reach high points)

Dartastic

Ranger X said:
They appear on the game map (unless you didn't activated the reach high points)

It's entirely possible that I haven't, as I don't see them on my map anywhere. I'm doing the
Auditore family crypt
but after that I'm going to scour the world for sync points. Doh.

EDIT - I've found two in Florence after hitting Sync Points. ONLY ONE MORE LEFT! HALPPP!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Dartastic said:

You can't miss them, the ones you find in the world are marked on your map, the rest you get through story progression.

OmonRa

At a certain point during the game their locations become available regardless of whether or not you did the viewpoints, I believe.

Ranger X said:
Yes but it must still be an isolated case. If this didn't come out during the testing phase (not that I know if its known or not) it means it's rare. For a big bug like this to happen one time in 100 000 games you could see it on GAF. A minority of gamers will make rare huge bugs like that really apparent. Also because people post their problems on the internet and not posting about everything that works fine. ;)

Yeah, and the worst part is that ACII is a terrific game. I'm dying to finish it. I spent over 20 hours put into it, I was close to 90% completing all the extra stuff. I just don't want to go through it all over again... argh...

maybe I'll just blow through the story mode again in a few weeks, who knows.

meanwhile, I'm going back to MW2 and L4D2...

Manus

Just finished getting all the achievements for this. Boy collecting feathers was a lot more fun than flags.

bumpkin

SquirrelNuckle said:
Just finished getting all the achievements for this. Boy collecting feathers was a lot more fun than flags.
I agree. Them keeping it 100 and spreading those across the different cities was more palatable. One of the achievements I never got in the first AC was the 100 King Richard flags. It was just too large of an area to go over with a fine-toothed comb for ones I was missing. I think I gave up at like 88 or 89.

Manus

RainbowByte said:
What made it more fun for you than flags in ac1?

Because it felt like I was actually progressing. The most feathers one city had was like 47. So I didn't have to spend forever in one city and feel burnt out on it.

Dartastic

Got em all! Back to the manor, to throw them up on the wall then to perform what I think is my final assassination!
The boat from Cyprus is arriving back in port "tomorrow." I'm assuming this is really close to the end?

RainbowByte said:
What made it more fun for you than flags in ac1?

I don't know about it being more fun collecting them per se but at least this time there's a tangible reward for doing it. That right there is a huge improvement over the first game. The flags in AC1 were incredibly pointless.

adamsapple

Dartastic said:
Got em all! Back to the manor, to throw them up on the wall then to perform what I think is my final assassination!
The boat from far away (I can't remember the place now... middle east somewhere) is arriving back in port "tomorrow." I'm assuming this is really close to the end?

Close but
not the final story mission just yet.

Top Bottom