• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Grimm Fandango said:
That was a good one. I just did it so it's fresh in my mind.

II-- is where 2 goes. Each - represents "one" while each I represents "three". Think Roman numerals. After lining up II-- with 2, deduce the numbers that are blank by adding or subtracting.

Holy Crap! Brain Freeze!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rez said:
please tell me this awful, awful opinion is not widely held.

That's probably the first time I've read someone complain about the jumping "puzzles". It's not that hard to hold down A + RT and push forward, but that's just me.
Between the Uncharteds, Infamous and Batman, I think that Assassins Creed has the best jumping/climbing mechanics.
Who is that, anyways?

jett

D-Member
Rez said:
30jqofk.jpg

please tell me this awful, awful opinion is not widely held.

wtf is this guy?

adg1034

Grimm Fandango said:
That was a good one. I just did it so it's fresh in my mind.

II-- is where 2 goes. Each - represents "one" while each I represents "three". Think Roman numerals. After lining up II-- with 2, deduce the numbers that are blank by adding or subtracting.

How exactly did you figure out that II-- was 2? I remember seeing II-- in the newspaper, but not what it equaled.

EDIT: Dammit; just read the GamesRadar piece. Never mind.

Volcynika

Uh, I'm kinda stuck.

(If you're at Venice you can help)

I'm at the
Altair flashback after the test to see if he retained Ezio's skills, and I'm trying to climb the tower to get to the target. I get to a balcony with a plank with lantern above me, but he won't grab on to it so I can climb higher.
Something I'm doing wrong?

Gribbix

Volcynika said:
Uh, I'm kinda stuck.

I'm at the
Altair flashback after the test to see if he retained Ezio's skills, and I'm trying to climb the tower to get to the target. I get to a balcony with a plank with lantern above me, but he won't grab on to it so I can climb higher.
Stand on the railing under the the lamp post and jump straight up while standing in place. I think it's RT + A / R1 + X. Alternatively, you can also run up the wall next to the lamp post and then jump towards the lamp post at the apex of the vertical wall run.

Volcynika

Gribbix said:
Stand on the railing under the the lamp post and jump straight up while standing in place. I think it's RT + A / R1 + X. Alternatively, you can also run up the wall next to the lamp post and then jump towards the lamp post at the apex of the vertical wall run.

Thanks! So odd that I was having trouble.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Volcynika said:
Uh, I'm kinda stuck.

I'm at the

EVERYONE GETS STUCK THERE.

Gribbix

Volcynika said:
Thanks! So odd that I was having trouble.
Based on this thread and other AC2 threads, quite a few people are having trouble with that. It's understandable since you rarely ever need to use either type of jump in the game. In fact, I think that was the only time I ever used the stationary jump in the entire game.
I've been replaying AC1 since completing AC2. For some strange reason, the developers removed a metal climbing ring that was next to the lamp post in AC1.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Why do i not remember Maria? Was she in AC1 or is it from Bloodlines?

OmonRa

NinjaFridge said:

Both.
She has a cameo in AC1 where she plays Robert de Sable's double at the funeral. Bloodlines shows the beginning of her relationship with Altair.

Gribbix

NinjaFridge said:
She's in both. In AC1, she stood in as a templar decoy for Robert de Sable towards the end of the game. Although, I don't believe her name was ever given in AC1. She plays a large role in Bloodlines.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thanks for the guys helping me out on an earlier question, apparently fighting unarmed makes you much more capable, who knew huh ..

anywho, i'm feeling i'm at the final stretch of the game, just entered
rome
, but the map seems to indicate I won't be staying for long here, the landscape looks really nice even then though.

also, some of the higher view points in Venice, holy effing CRAP that shit's just crazy :eek:

I gotta say, I hated AC1. HATED it. But thanks, GAF. I took a chance on you and you have not disappointed me. Everything is so well implemented especially the "blending" with groups of pedestrians in front of guards. It almost feels like a platformer sometimes, going from group to bench to group, etc. And, as has been said 100x this thread, the mission implementation is stellar. The fact that I can do a few random side quests and then the story and not have to ride my stupid horse to my stupid fort to continue the story is really great.

The combat's still a bit "eh", and the free-running is a little finicky but otherwise, great job, Ubi.

edit:
the puzzle that came along with the first glyph! excellent! please tell me those little puzzles continue like that.

timkunedo

Finally beat the game tonight. What an experience!!

Even though you can't replay any primary memories i'm glad to know you can still do all the secondary memories (assassinations, beat'em up, etc...) Now just to find 59 more stinkin feathers....so i can get the final 2 achievos.

No hitter is my last trophy... getting it after you've beaten the game is not that easy. :(

I've tried to just lure a ton of guards after me, smoke them, and start taking them out but every time I get half way to the trophy the game freezes. It never froze a single time during my entire playthrough but smoking and then taking out guards quickly for the trohpy is killing it every time... argh.

Does anybody recall how long it takes you to get to the mission where you protect the guy in front of the church, it seems like it's a common spot to get the trophy. I hate that you can't replay memories (much like you can replay chapters in Uncharted, or whatever).

Also I just wanted to add that if they could make the combat in AC flow as well as it does in Batman AA it would have been a hell of a lot better.

LCfiner

uuuggghhh. the checkpoint race at Carnival is really frustrating. I always end up missing a step or ledge.

probably didn’t help that I was doing it at night in the gameworld. couldn’t see shit. taking a break. coming back to that later on when I won’t get so frustrated.

LiK

did most of you guys finish AC1? i really had no real problems with this game since all the free running and climbing felt alot like the first game.

and i'm shocked by Rabbit's reaction to the platforming...

bridegur

I'm in the
dream sequence
and I can get about halfway up the tower to the door with a board above it, but I can't seem to get any higher. Suggestions?

Is it just me or did it feel like the 'tutorial' for this game was like four hours long? Seriously that's how long it took for me to actually start enjoying the game.

LiK

bridegur said:
I'm in the
dream sequence
and I can get about halfway up the tower to the door with a board above it, but I can't seem to get any higher. Suggestions?

yea, buggy little part there (i encountered some really weird glitches with the light), and maybe i forgot that
Altair isn't as agile as Ezio
. once you're halfway up on that ledge with the light, climb up the wall and then jump to the wooden thing. i figured that out on my own after 4 retries.

Neverender said:
Is it just me or did it feel like the 'tutorial' for this game was like four hours long? Seriously that's how long it took for me to actually start enjoying the game.

the tutorial is really poorly paced out. i was doing things way before the game told me about them. ex: like i was telling thieves what to do and then the game is teaching me that in
Venice
which is pretty late in the game.

Talon

So thanks to Kat Bailey for dropping spoilers on the At 1UP Podcast about this game without prefacing it. Really appreciate it.

Usually I'd laugh it of for listening to podcasts about it, but the discussion sounded like light-impressions until the spoiler.

bridegur

LiK said:
yea, buggy little part there (i encountered some really weird glitches with the light), and maybe i forgot that
Altair isn't as agile as Ezio
. once you're halfway up on that ledge with the light, climb up the wall and then jump to the wooden thing. i figured that out on my own after 4 retries.

That worked, thanks. It's shocking to me that such a high-profile game would be released with an obvious bug like that. That whole sequence proved to me how terrible the auto-jump is in comparison to traditional jumping in games. Ubisoft needs to take a good look at how inFamous combines the two.

unomas

Banned
Question for those who might know. I have 5 seals for 6 tombs, there is one in Venice that I can't get into, any reason why? I've already completed the game so I'm a little confused here.

LiK

unomas said:
Question for those who might know. I have 5 seals for 6 tombs, there is one in Venice that I can't get into, any reason why? I've already completed the game so I'm a little confused here.

i had no problems with any of the seal rooms. i beat them all about halfway through the game. did you find the door?

Tiktaalik

Just started playing this game and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Played through until abouts where you get the hand blade assassin tool.

My only source of aggravation so far stemmed from me inexplicably failing the "hiding in crowds" tutorial several times. I think I would slightly get out of position and it would flash on and off for a second and then a guard would see me. I guess it's maybe not super reliable or maybe I was moving too quickly.

There's probably just a learning curve to it. I used it a bit later on after the tutorial and had no issues. It might just have been that the path finding around the tight lanes in that area was a bit hard to deal with.

This beginning part was just barely on the edge of not moving fast enough for me. Now that I have a blade and assassin missions it'll be interesting to see how the pace of the game changes.

unomas

Banned
LiK said:
i had no problems with any of the seal rooms. i beat them all about halfway through the game. did you find the door?

It's the one in Venice where you would normally have to take the hang glider in, maybe I'm just missing the door I'm supposed to be entering in?

Sai

unomas said:
It's the one in Venice where you would normally have to take the hang glider in, maybe I'm just missing the door I'm supposed to be entering in?
Aaahh.

You remember the route you took to get on top of that place with Antonio? Northeast side of the building.

Autofokus

ScrabbleBanshee said:
No hitter is my last trophy... getting it after you've beaten the game is not that easy. :(

I've tried to just lure a ton of guards after me, smoke them, and start taking them out but every time I get half way to the trophy the game freezes. It never froze a single time during my entire playthrough but smoking and then taking out guards quickly for the trohpy is killing it every time... argh.
Don´t do double assassination kills in rapid succession. If you do 2+ in a very short time, the game freezes. Every time. Tested it myself a few times.

Saya

Just finished the game and loved it. Couple questions:

When I look at the progress screen it says that I'm missing 1 weapon (currently, I have 21/22). But I can't buy any new stuff at the shops anymore. Where can I get the last weapon? Do I have to finish all the glyph puzzles for that one?

What is the best place to try to get the "kill 10 guys without being hit" achievement?

Anyone know where to find a good map with all the feather locations?

Sai

Saya said:
When I look at the progress screen it says that I'm missing 1 weapon (currently, I have 21/22). But I can't buy any new stuff at the shops anymore. Where can I get the last weapon?
You need 50 Features to unlock a hammer in the Villa's weapon shop.

Ridley327

Saya said:
Just finished the game and loved it. Couple questions:

When I look at the progress screen it says that I'm missing 1 weapon (currently, I have 21/22). But I can't buy any new stuff at the shops anymore. Where can I get the last weapon? Do I have to finish all the glyph puzzles for that one?

What is the best place to try to get the "kill 10 guys without being hit" achievement?

Anyone know where to find a good map with all the feather locations?

-you get a weapon unlocked in the shop if you get 50 feathers

-there really isn't a best place per se, but do enough monkey business to attract the attention of the guards and run around until you've got at least 10 of them on your ass and utilize smoke bombs to take them all out with a hidden blade

-here's the guide I used for the feathers

C.Dark.DN

Banned
anddo0 said:
Glad I'm not alone, took me a good 15 minutes trying to do that.
i fell victim. it's funny when you think about it. we've all done the jump required countless times but we spend 15 minutes trying everything but.

So I assassinated all the archers to protect the gondol. When they finally headed out to sea I thought I'd hitch a ride with them, leaped into the boat and thusly knocked Rosa into the water so hard that she died.

So don't do that.

Oh and how are you supposed to climb the clock tower in Venice? Do you need to unlock some ability first or is there some way that I'm missing?

Top Bottom