• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oooh, that sounds like a nasty glitch. At the very least, you should have gotten the story-based trophies (memory sequence 10, 11, 14, etc.) Got my platinum last night, so I can't imagine that it's a widespread problem.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Mejilan said:
Oooh, that sounds like a nasty glitch. At the very least, you should have gotten the story-based trophies (memory sequence 10, 11, 14, etc.) Got my platinum last night, so I can't imagine that it's a widespread problem.
I literally just stopped getting trophies after a certain point. I had knocked 5 guards over with a spear and done a lot of the other non story based trophies but as you said, I didn't even get the story based ones either. I really liked the game but I'm pretty pissed this happened. This game's also the first to have frozen my ps3 multiple times, it's never happened with any other game so I say fuck Ubisoft. I now hate this game.

Also, by searching online it seems this has happened to multiple people.

Mejilan

Well, at least you enjoyed it while you could. :/
My PS3 froze a few times with Uncharted and Prince of Persia, IIRC.
Only once with this game.

OmonRa

firehawk12 said:
I guess the DLC won't be the
"missing segments" - 12 and 13
but more tomb stuff?

Too bad. I don't mind the tombs, but the timed tombs combined with the awkward platforming (jump forward, not diagonally, you asshole!) made them almost unbearable.

No. The DLC is exactly what you spoilered if you read the titles of the two packs. :)

Mejilan

Oh, that's good to hear!
Hopefully it won't be throwaway filler crap like PoP's "Epilogue" turned out to be.

Edit - Though, on another note, it is irksome to have to pay for content that probably would have been in the game to begin with were it not for deadlines and time crunches...

This makes the second game I love this gen, along with Heavenly Sword.

If I could have anything though, it would be DLC with a realism mode:
* No HUD whatsoever.
* Increased audio cues for treasures and feathers.
* Extend Objective marker into the sky like Crackdown waypoints.
* Max three hits before death. Think Demon's Souls. Heavy weapons can kill in two hits, smaller weapons in three. I feel too invulnerable with my current 20 health diamonds.
* Armor and health wear-and-tear shown on the character model.
* New achievement for beating the game on this difficulty setting.

Is this necessary? hell no. Would it make a fucking great game even better? hell yes.

There are so many clues to be found just by walking and listening. The game is almost perfect for no-HUD playing.

Mana Sin

Can we expect the patch before the first DLC release date? I'm very pleased to hear the DLC will be coming out relatively soon. One problem though: Will the second be released by itself at a reduced price? It would be kind of unfair to have to buy the first one twice (Once in January, then once again with the set of two) or if they would both be released at the same price (Buying DLC 1, since you'd get it for free with DLC 2).

Anyway, I just hope the DLC offers a few hours worth of play each. Love love love AC2.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is this necessary? hell no. Would it make a fucking great game even better? hell yes.

For. ^

I'm enjoying the hell outta AC2, but my biggest issue is that it's way too easy. I'm 9 hours in and I still haven't died yet. I've never been even close, since I can just activate a medkit and have full health if I'm hurt. It kind of hurts the stealth aspect of the game since I can just charge my target like a maniac and kill him without risking death.

Mejilan

Ranger X said:

I bought the PoP Epilogue, and that was for a game I didn't like.
No worries, I'll be there for ACII's DLC day one. This game's practically GotY for me.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am debating over whether or not to keep the unopened 360 version I have versus getting the PC version in March. March is going to kill me with BC2 but I also have no time to play AC2 now even though I want to. Ugh.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
DenogginizerOS said:
I am debating over whether or not to keep the unopened 360 version I have versus getting the PC version in March. March is going to kill me with BC2 but I also have no time to play AC2 now even though I want to. Ugh.
So if the DLC is due January and February, and the PC version is due in March, I guess it's wise to assume the PC version will be another 'Directors Cut'?

Might be worth waiting, then, I suppose. It'll be cheaper, and the 'full package', if that is the case.

Mejilan

cjelly said:
So if the DLC is due January and February, and the PC version is due in March, I guess it's wise to assume the PC version will be another 'Directors Cut'?

Might be worth waiting, then, I suppose. It'll be cheaper, and the 'full package', if that is the case.

Or it won't be, and it'll get screwed out of the DLC, ala the PC version of PoP 2008...
There's precedent for both!

Besides the graphics, what were the differences between the console version of ACI and the later PC version?

sangreal

Mejilan said:
I got disarmed once. Killed the fool that dared to disarm ME, then when I stood over the sword and hit Circle to pick up the weapon, I regained it (vs. the temporary pick up of standard issue weapons carried by guards).

You have to be careful not to pick up a shitty guard sword while you're disarmed though, or you'll have to go back to the villa to permanently switch back to your sword

Mejilan

sangreal said:
You have to be careful not to pick up a shitty guard sword while you're disarmed though, or you'll have to go back to the villa to permanently switch back to your sword

Really? Can't you just drop the shitty sword and try again?

Irish said:
That already happens.
Guess I just never noticed this. Nice. :)

So far I can live without all HUD elements except for the active weapon icon (no use picking a fight with a fully armored halberd wielding guard only to throw coins at him by mistake) and mini-map, and the mini-map I use only for objective waypoints really.

But really, that's my playstyle preference, and I love that the game supports the idea of "show" instead of "tell" to the extent that it does.

At the very least the game could use a difficulty slider or something along those lines. Because as it is, I've only died or gotten seriously wounded from making bad jumps.

sangreal

Mejilan said:
Really? Can't you just drop the shitty sword and try again?

Well it actually goes into your equipped sword slot, not the temporary weapon slot that drops when you run, etc. I wasn't aware that you could drop equipped weapons

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Mejilan said:
Or it won't be, and it'll get screwed out of the DLC, ala the PC version of PoP 2008...
There's precedent for both!

Besides the graphics, what were the differences between the console version of ACI and the later PC version?
I think they added a few more mission types in AC1 on PC.

Mejilan

Really? Any ideas about what types of new missions?

sangreal said:
Well it actually goes into your equipped sword slot, not the temporary weapon slot that drops when you run, etc. I wasn't aware that you could drop equipped weapons

Haha, that sucks. Well, either way, I would make constant side-trips to the villa to loot my income chest.

oktarb

NullPointer said:
This makes the second game I love this gen, along with Heavenly Sword.

* No HUD whatsoever.
* Increased audio cues for treasures and feathers.
* Extend Objective marker into the sky like Crackdown waypoints.
* Max three hits before death. Think Demon's Souls. Heavy weapons can kill in two hits, smaller weapons in three. I feel too invulnerable with my current 20 health diamonds.
* Armor and health wear-and-tear shown on the character model.
* New achievement for beating the game on this difficulty setting.

There are so many clues to be found just by walking and listening. The game is almost perfect for no-HUD playing.

I would love all this and add a good guard bad guard theme.

Some guards are just earning a pay check and here you come along Mr. Honorable(?) Assassin and disembowel him...sometimes I feel bad. Other guards are obviously on the take and supporting my evil corrupt adversaries.

In realism Mode I would have two types of guards. Those you can freely kill and those you need to avoid or run away from. You honorably spare their lives. Maybe Eagle Vision shows you the difference between their souls. Could make for an interesting play-thru.

DrPirate

Banned
Mejilan said:

How did you get the "sweep 5 enemies in one motion" trophy?

It's the last one I can't obtain.

mattalos

King of Awesome
NullPointer said:
* No HUD whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure you can do this now, can't you? I know I started turning off some aspects of the HUD that got in the way for me. I'm pretty sure you can turn it all off.

Finished it. Clocked in 25 hours even though the game says 17. My #2 GOTY after UC2.

Pros:

+ Graphics and setting were fantastic. They nailed Renaissance Italy and the mood it conveys including beautifully placed historical touches. The database/codex system is hilarious and informative. The music also brilliantly capture the tone of the game.

+ Collectibles. They fucking got it; forget flags and feathers (AC2) actually. Upgrading your villa, finding every painting/codex/weapon/pouch/etc was the best part of the game to me.

+ Assassin's Tombs. AWESOME. Took some real platforming skill. Just incredible old-school Prince of Persia vibe.

Cons:
- Ezio's voice actor. He was fucking terrible.

- The fight system is still the worst part of the game to me. Don't get me wrong, it was much more enjoyable than AC1, but still rather uninteresting. Countering ad nauseum. Or my favorite- throw a smoke bomb in a crowd of 5+ guys only to double blade them each before they wake out of their trance.

- The ending. It was just goofy.
Fighting the same dude three times was rather tame
as was the final cut-scene with Ezio. Rodrigo saying that
the Bible was full of bullshit
just made me want to sympathize with him. The final scene played over the credits (nice touch) was fairly anti-climatic, too. Overall, a weak final 10% of the game IMO.

Can't fucking wait for the DLC and fill the gaps!

mattalos said:
I'm pretty sure you can do this now, can't you? I know I started turning off some aspects of the HUD that got in the way for me. I'm pretty sure you can turn it all off.
Yeah, you can disable all of it, and the game provides audio or visual clues for just about everything. For me, I can find everything except objective markers on my own just from listening or looking. And as far as I know, your active weapon isn't shown except for the icon. Active weapon is not a biggy though - I'm sure I can just keep that in mind, but if you have an objective marker that's halfway across the city, there's no spider-sense to tell you what direction you should head, short of using the map or mini-map.

Its so perfect when you clamber up to the highest rooftops and just listen to the ambience of the city. The pigeons cooing near leaps of faith, the coin tosses of nearby thieves hanging out, the bird cries of viewpoints, and the twinkling sound of a treasure or feather nearby. You can look out over the city and navigate your paths by the great basilicas and towers, which you know by name from their database files. You can take a long look with Eagle vision to spot the hide spots and guards making their rounds of the rooftops. And look at what the citizens are wearing and doing on street level. Carrying boxes near shops, guard patrols, and the wild marketplaces filled with bards and socialites engaged in conversation.

Its moments like these, when you put the clues together into your own mental map of the world, and use all of these gameworld elements to plot a strategy for a perfect assassination and escape, that's when this game hits the very highest notes for me. Its so damn rewarding to pull off a well planned strike and disappear into the crowd like a shadow.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
RE5 DLC 2
RE5 DLC 3
ACII DLC 1
ACII DLC 2

all within the first three months of 2010 among Bioshock 2, Bayonetta, Bad Company 2, Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Dante's Inferno and FFXIII.

I need a government bailout. -________-

NZNova

sangreal said:

I wasn't either until a brute guard knocked my main sword out of my hand and I had to walk around the fight area looking for it after I knifed him for doing so :(

Mindlog

I just beat the game. Remarkable leap in quality yadda yadda yadda what the fuck.

I am missing 1 weapon. Angry :[]

I am really really really really really really excited about Far Cry 3 now.

DLC already, awesome. This is such great news. Looks like we'll finally experience Sequence 12/13. I said this in the other thread but I hope they give us some new weapons (swords/daggers preferably) armor and dyes. Or let us mix and match dye colors for each piece of clothing. In the end however, the story is what matters to me the most!

Domino Theory said:
RE5 DLC 2
RE5 DLC 3
ACII DLC 1
ACII DLC 2

all within the first three months of 2010 among Bioshock 2, Bayonetta, Bad Company 2, Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Dante's Inferno and FFXIII.

I need a government bailout. -________-

Yea man, seriously I was just about to post the same thing. I'm going to have to pass on Bayonetta, Bad Company 2 and Dante's Inferno though. The rest I think I'm going to get suckered into.

Fuck my wallet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
OmonRa said:
No. The DLC is exactly what you spoilered if you read the titles of the two packs. :)

Really?

What was described during the in-game voice-over/cutscene seemed very dramatic and exciting, so if they are actually doing that and not just random platforming levels, I'd definitely pick it up. They could even gouge at 15 dollars each and I wouldn't mind.

Mindlog

DevelopmentArrested said:
you need to collect 50 feathers for it; 100 for the Auditore cap. blegh

boned.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I'm also in if we get a Crackdown style increase in audio hint range.

sangreal

Mana Sin said:
Is there a feather sound? If so, what is it similar to? I'm missing a feather in Forli and it's really annoying me.

It sounds like the treasure chests, but you really have to be pretty close to it to hear it

Zeliard

Mindlog said:
I just beat the game. Remarkable leap in quality yadda yadda yadda what the fuck.

I am missing 1 weapon. Angry :[]

I am really really really really really really excited about Far Cry 3 now.

Oh man, I hope FC3 gets the AC1-->AC2 treatment.

calder

Platinumed the game on the weekend. Very happy with the experience, but it did start to overstay it's welcome by the end (kind of like Bioshock, maybe I'm just getting old) and I was more than happy for the main story to end. :D

Gorgeous game in most ways, obviously excepting the awful character faces and animations, but wow did it remind me about the scourge of non-stop screen tearing in early PS3 games. :lol

d0c_zaius

after beating it.....I just have a very satisfied feeling with the story, even with it getting crazy in parts.

I know its cheesy, but being able to use my money to change E's appearance
like the beard
would have been great.

By the end I had so much money with nothing to use it on.

Tokubetsu

I just made it to venice and I cant fucking climb some of the buildings? I'm trying to get all the Synch points, theres one on a church that I just cant figure out how to get up there. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

LCfiner

Tokubetsu said:
I just made it to venice and I cant fucking climb some of the buildings? I'm trying to get all the Synch points, theres one on a church that I just cant figure out how to get up there. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

keep moving the story along and you’ll be able to climb it later.

jett

D-Member
Tokubetsu said:

Advance the story mode and return later.

Dead

well not really...yet
Tokubetsu said:
You will learn a new climbing trick soon.

I was stuck on the same thing too as well

sangreal

Dead said:
You will learn a new climbing trick soon.

I was stuck on the same thing too as well

Considering how often this has come up, and that I too wasted a good 15 minutes on it, it probably wasn't a great design decision to put a viewpoint up there

Choc

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
DLC already, awesome. This is such great news. Looks like we'll finally experience Sequence 12/13. I said this in the other thread but I hope they give us some new weapons (swords/daggers preferably) armor and dyes. Or let us mix and match dye colors for each piece of clothing. In the end however, the story is what matters to me the most!

The first time i've seen a DLC announced which clearly was part of a major plan all along and people aren't whinging that it could have been on the disk

Shows just how big AC2 is already

Top Bottom