• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Ranger X

Choc said:
The first time i've seen a DLC announced which clearly was part of a major plan all along and people aren't whinging that it could have been on the disk

Shows just how big AC2 is already

Read the post #4407 ...

d0c_zaius

Choc said:
The first time i've seen a DLC announced which clearly was part of a major plan all along and people aren't whinging that it could have been on the disk

Choc said:

Probably has to do with the main campaign feeling robust enough without the DLC.

Being "apart of the plan" as you call it, is quite different than content on disk that you pay for.

AIRic

Is this acrobatic game playable with a mouse-keyboard?

EDIT : Did not realized this game is not on PC yet. So my question goes for the first one.

Choc

Banned
RangerX

Well i'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but i find it hard to believe :)

To do DLC properly (and not shithouse) like Rockstar did, in my opinion you have to plan it as part of the main story from the start

Choc

Banned
d0c_zaius said:
Probably has to do with the main campaign feeling robust enough without the DLC.

Being "apart of the plan" as you call it, is quite different than content on disk that you pay for.

I've seen people whinge about map packs that came out soon after games (which could have been in the game already they say...) that aren't on the disk so its sorta the same

LCfiner said:
keep moving the story along and you’ll be able to climb it later.

This reminds me of an identical post a few pages back, hehe. Exact same thing said.

One of the disappointing things for me right now is the 780K Florins I have and nothing to use them on. Just continue to rack them up for no good reason at all :(

Completed the game today with all achievements. I'm one of the weird guys who love artstyle & atmosphere more than perfect gameplay, so it's one of my absolutely topgames in my entire collection, next to Okami and Fable 2.

Amazing successor of a totally overhyped and, gameplay-wise, really bad first entry in the trilogy. Can't wait for the DLC and the next instalment in the series.

LCfiner

vodka-bull said:
Completed the game today with all achievements. I'm one of the weird guys who love artstyle & atmosphere more than perfect gameplay, so it's one of my absolutely topgames in my entire collection, next to Okami and Fable 2.

Amazing successor of a totally overhyped and, gameplay-wise, really bad first entry in the trilogy. Can't wait for the DLC and the next instalment in the series.

nothing weird about that <_<

>_>

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alright, I have a gap in my Secret Locations DNA strand. Can someone please help me figure out what/where it is?

There are 9 segments and I have 8 of them filled.
They are, in order from left to right:
AT: Il Duomo's Secret
AT: Torre Grossa's Secret
AT: Ravaldino's Secret
AT: San Marco's Secret
AT: Visitazione's Secret
TL: Home Invasion
TL: Over Beams, Under Stone
?????
AT: Paying Respects

That 8th one eludes me, and I'm convinced it's the reason why I only have 99.2% sync with Ezio, instead of 100%. AT = Assassin Tomb, TL = Templar Lair.

Pwease help!

I just completed it and it's easily my console game of the year.
On a side note, I also started playing Uncharted 2 after it finally arrived in the mail, and while it's a good game so far (up to chapter 5) the climbing mechanics in Assassins creed totally shit over Uncharted's.

Ridley327

Mejilan said:
Alright, I have a gap in my Secret Locations DNA strand. Can someone please help me figure out what/where it is?

?????

That 8th one eludes me, and I'm convinced it's the reason why I only have 99.2% sync with Ezio, instead of 100%. AT = Assassin Tomb, TL = Templar Lair.

Pwease help!

That would be Shipwrecked, the Templar's Lair in L'Arsenale, which is currently only available if you bought it at Best Buy.

Dead

well not really...yet
Mejilan said:

?????

Pwease help!
Arsenal Shipyard Templar Lair

It was a preorder bonus for Best Buy

Mindlog

d0c_zaius said:
after beating it.....I just have a very satisfied feeling with the story, even with it getting crazy in parts.

I know its cheesy, but being able to use my money to change E's appearance
like the beard
would have been great.

By the end I had so much money with nothing to use it on.

I threw coins everywhere I went.

Dost thou maketh the rain? Yes, thine wenches are drenched in thine rain.

The most annoying glitch I ran into was the ghost target glitch. It has something to do with being on a mission, hiring a group and having a map marker. Navigating gets to be a pain with targets floating all over the mini-map.

Dead

well not really...yet
Well, at least the Euro special edition came with all 3 maps. Only the US got shafted like this :(

Ridley327

I'm going to be sad when that day comes because I'm going to have to break my zero tolerance policy for paying for unlock keys just because I love this game so much. STUPID MICROTRANSACTIONS!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Dead said:
Well, at least the Euro special edition came with all 3 maps. Only the US got shafted like this :(

I don't understand why the GS LE didn't come with all of 'em. :/
Stupid Best Buy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the Asian version of the game. How do I tell if I have these mysterious maps or not? Pre-order bonuses that differ between the various outlets has to be one of the most awful things to come out of this generation. I'm gonna be pretty pissed if I can't get 100% because I didn't buy a specific version at a specific location.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
GhostRidah said:
I have to repeat the sound track is amazing!

Yeah I somehow forgot to mention this in my earlier impressions. The music is just great in this game and I actually find myself wanting to listen to the tunes outside of the game. As someone who has never even considered buying a game soundtrack, this is very rare.

d0c_zaius

Mindlog said:
I threw coins everywhere I went.

Dost thou maketh the rain? Yes, thine wenches are drenched in thine rain.

The most annoying glitch I ran into was the ghost target glitch. It has something to do with being on a mission, hiring a group and having a map marker. Navigating gets to be a pain with targets floating all over the mini-map.

haha yea I didnt even notice the money throwing mechanic until Venice. Although I didnt try throwing money off of a tall building and seeing if chaos ensues.

Choc said:
I've seen people whinge about map packs that came out soon after games (which could have been in the game already they say...) that aren't on the disk so its sorta the same

Its easy for people to say "it could have been in the game" when they have nothing to do with the development of the project. In the case of map packs, it could simply be there isnt enough time to bring the asset up to par with the rest of the game, so better to put it off and fix it than scrap it like in the old days. But yea I'll be surprised to see people hating on AC2 DLC.

bumpkin

Nemesis556 said:
So, has anyon encountered this in the game?

Is it an actual gameplay glitch, or can we pin it down as being an Animus glitch? :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUrcVGaT5mU
Okay, am I the only one thinking this?

2118179675_9d83ae5086.jpg

Me, me, me.

Me too. :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Ranger X: what are the chances of more DLC after these 2?

Also, slightly, kinda, but not really off topic

Anyone in Europe who got AC2 and got the Avatar game code in their case and doesn't want it, would they mind sending one to me? We didn't get it in the US and I picked up Avatar earlier today...

Dead said:
Ranger X: what are the chances of more DLC after these 2?

Also, slightly, kinda, but not really off topic

Anyone in Europe who got AC2 and got the Avatar game code in their case and doesn't want it, would they mind sending one to me? We didn't get it in the US and I picked up Avatar earlier today...

Yes, if you can vaguely allude to the answer to this question, I'm sure we'd all love it :) Also, are there any plans for new weapons/dyes/armor (yes I sound like a broken record...)

unomas

Banned
Finally completed the game and got all the trophies, but it took me 25 hours 39 minutes! I didn't collect all the treasures, but was tempted to. Good game for sure.

Red

Just gotta say, and I know it's been said a thousand times, but this game is so fucking good. I'm on the sixth memory right now and holy shit, it's so well crafted. There are little nit picky things I can complain about but the game does so much right that it's difficult to even be frustrated by the little things.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Finished it. Clocked in 25 hours even though the game says 17. My #2 GOTY after UC2.

Cons:
- Ezio's voice actor. He was fucking terrible.

I don't think it's his fault, per se - he's a great voice actor in general. (Well, take UC2 a an example of that.) I think it was just a dreadful decision to have everybody doing bad Italian accents.

Also, I'm a bit sick of Nolan North's voice now. People need to lay off him for just a little while - he's tremendously over-exposed.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
whatevermort said:
I don't think it's his fault, per se - he's a great voice actor in general. (Well, take UC2 a an example of that.) I think it was just a dreadful decision to have everybody doing bad Italian accents.

Also, I'm a bit sick of Nolan North's voice now. People need to lay off him for just a little while - he's tremendously over-exposed.

Nolan North didn't do Ezio, he did Desmond.

Lagunamov

Florencia is fucking awesome, the entire city has been recreated PERFECTLY down to the last detail. AC II is my Goty so far, a huge surprise.

glaurung

AC2 platinum trophy get!

But it wasn't all farts and sunshine. The game froze twice when I was doing the hitter trophy (kill 10 enemies in a single fight without getting hit). The second time it froze exactly when I stabbed the tenth enemy, the screen stuttered to a halt, but I could hear the trophy unlock ding sound.

The game also froze when doing the sweeper trophy.

But now I don't have to put the disc into the machine until they give me a good reason to do so. I still have some races to run and some assassination contracts to complete, but there's no real incentive to do this.

glaurung said:
AC2 platinum trophy get!

But it wasn't all farts and sunshine. The game froze twice when I was doing the hitter trophy (kill 10 enemies in a single fight without getting hit). The second time it froze exactly when I stabbed the tenth enemy, the screen stuttered to a halt, but I could hear the trophy unlock ding sound.

The game also froze when doing the sweeper trophy.

But now I don't have to put the disc into the machine until they give me a good reason to do so. I still have some races to run and some assassination contracts to complete, but there's no real incentive to do this.
I had my copy freeze for the first time last night actually. I think it was the last of the conspirators and i just killed him and ran to a roof where i hid in one of the hiding huts and a guard came and as i went to kill him from my hiding place it just froze and i had to reset.

Not too much or a big deal really but a bit annoying.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DevelopmentArrested said:
Cons:
- Ezio's voice actor. He was fucking terrible.

i love ezio's voice. i actually like listening to pretty much all the voices in AC2, and were i forced to choose, i like ezio's voice much better than desmond's, to be honest.

then again, there's just something very charming and authentic (?) about hearing that awesome flow and roll to the italian accents; i'm no expert, but they all seem fairly accurate. i guess an italian would be able to comment better on this. still, you can tell a huge amount of work went into making the voice acting feel right.

McBacon said:
Nolan North didn't do Ezio, he did Desmond.

I thought that he did both. Ezio sounds just like Nolan North with an Italian accent. It's not listed on imdb but it's him, I thought. Same when you heard
Adam
speak in The Truth video.

EDIT: Apparently you're right! According to Wikipedia it's Roger Craig Smith, the voice of Chris Redfield in Resi 5. Which makes sense, as he sounds JUST like Nolan North. So, apologies!

Either way, though, it's still an American actor doing a bad Italian accent, right?

I've been playing this game for a couple of days now and I'm amazed by how much better it is than its predecessor. Missions seem to be better paced, those catacombs are awesome, combat is more fun and I'm eager to keep playing cause there are so many interesting and tangible ways of making progress.

Atmosphere and music are great too. I love those moody green skies at the village where your villa is for instance.

Yeah, if you liked AC1 even a little bit, you should probably get this.

beelzebozo said:
i love ezio's voice. i actually like listening to pretty much all the voices in AC2, and were i forced to choose, i like ezio's voice much better than desmond's, to be honest.

then again, there's just something very charming and authentic (?) about hearing that awesome flow and roll to the italian accents; i'm no expert, but they all seem fairly accurate. i guess an italian would be able to comment better on this. still, you can tell a huge amount of work went into making the voice acting feel right.

The actual italian is grammatically correct but has its flaws, accents are off and lots of irking mispronunciations.
I guess the italian english accent is alright, its a lot easier for a native speaker to put one up but it depends on the voice actor and his musicality, for example the family maid of the Auditore sounds more eastern european than italian to me and some voices are downright comical (MONY MONY!).

edit: I found it funny that they tried to include some local idioms, in the italian version many weren't even translated cause I guess they would have sounded awkward.

edit 2: ezio is pretty great, he still sounds american but it shows he has put a lot of effort.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Nolan North should have his own videogame called "Nolan North." The main character, Nolan North, will be voiced by comedian Gilbert Gottfried.

On topic, I love his performance as Subject 16.

OmonRa

EMBee99 said:
Nolan North should have his own videogame called "Nolan North." The main character, Nolan North, will be voiced by comedian Gilbert Gottfried.

On topic, I love his performance as Subject 16.

Subject 16 is Cam Clarke.

Top Bottom