• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Althoran

Love the game. I like it how you can do so much additional stuff outside of the missions.
The game keeps on giving every time you progress the story.
Definitely one of my favorite games this year.

Ridley327

Yeah, Subject 16 is listed as Cam Clarke in the credits.

I personally thought Roger Craig Smith did a really good job as Ezio. I barely even recognized him from RE5 since it sounded like he was on valium for that one.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ridley327 said:
Yeah, Subject 16 is listed as Cam Clarke in the credits.

He sounds exactly like in Grandia 2, I knew I'd heard that voice before somewhere, couldn't pinpoint it before.

I'm totally near the end of the game and all that's left for me to do is collect the videos and feathers. I asked previously but I want to double check and be sure.

I CAN continue on after I complete the game to collect the rest of the stuff right? Like how generous Batman AA was?

sangreal

Square Triangle said:
I'm totally near the end of the game and all that's left for me to do is collect the videos and feathers. I asked previously but I want to double check and be sure.

I CAN continue on after I complete the game to collect the rest of the stuff right? Like how generous Batman AA was?
Yes

Ridley327

Square Triangle said:

Yep; outside of getting the achievement/trophy for kicking someone from the flying machine (that's a one-time deal), every collectible is yours for the taking once you beat the game.

Autofokus

Bit-Bit said:
Liquid Snake is 16?!?!?
Also voices some random guards.

2h5tpvs.jpg

Nemesis_

OmonRa said:
Subject 16 is Cam Clarke.

Subject 16 sounds awfully like Nolan North / Desmond too, but Cam Clarke's pages and such all say he voiced him.

Weird how much of a good job he did.

Ezio's voice actor is hot. That is all.

JCtheMC

If there's one aspect of this game i want every open world game to jump on now, it has to be the Villa. Although it turns into a money factory (and therefor still breaks the games economy) in the end, it's great to have something that reflects and acknowledges your in-game wealth. Also it's nice to see a nicely done collectibles museum - i've seen a couple fallout3 mods that serve a similar purpose, and it really encourages you to collect all the different items in a game. I hope more developers come up with fitting solutions for the "player wealth" problem, and maybe tie it in with some interesting sidemissions or post-story gameplay.

Zeliard

Gerstmann on the most recent Giant Bombcast referenced two mindfuck moments in the game - one towards the middle, and one at the end. I'm probably two or so missions into Venice and I don't think I've yet to experience something I'd truly call a mindfuck at all, and I'd have to think I'm at least at the halfway point. Around what memory sequence does this particular event happen?

Unless he's referencing the
Altair dream sequence
, which I didn't think was that mindblowing.

LiveWire

JCtheMC said:
If there's one aspect of this game i want every open world game to jump on now, it has to be the Villa. Although it turns into a money factory (and therefor still breaks the games economy) in the end, it's great to have something that reflects and acknowledges your in-game wealth. Also it's nice to see a nicely done collectibles museum - i've seen a couple fallout3 mods that serve a similar purpose, and it really encourages you to collect all the different items in a game. I hope more developers come up with fitting solutions for the "player wealth" problem, and maybe tie it in with some interesting sidemissions or post-story gameplay.

I imagine that all that extra cash might be put to use in future DLC. Would be cool if you could get involved in all the warring city-states of Italy by having to buy the different warrior types to protect the Villa/surrounding countryside from invading enemy units. You could be notified when in other cities ("Villa under attack!") Ezio could run around and command units on the fly...would be a fun diversion, might add a little replayability to the game, which is it's biggest weakness.

Ranger X

Zeliard said:
Gerstmann on the most recent Giant Bombcast referenced two mindfuck moments in the game - one towards the middle, and one at the end. I'm probably two or so missions into Venice and I don't think I've yet to experience something I'd truly call a mindfuck at all, and I'd have to think I'm at least at the halfway point. Around what memory sequence does this particular event happen?

Unless he's referencing the
Altair dream sequence
, which I didn't think was that mindblowing.

words words...

Just play the game. You know that the internet is a huge hyperbole of life. Every little twist is mindblowing nowadays.

burnfout

Fuck this game is getting frustrating the last 4 or so hours, so many design issues its driving me fucking crazy..

- the controls are really starting to get on my nerves, the amount of times the fucker jumped/fell/leaped whatever where I didn't want him to is astounding.
- the bards/singers can die in a fire, it maybe funny twice, but during a chase just now I was stopped by 6!!! bards, after killing 3 ( I always kill them ) I failed the mission, fuck this shit!!!!
- why can't I fast travel in a specific city, to go from west to east venice I have to leave and re-travel?? fuck that shit.
- how can I buy lower spec armor/weapons without equiping them, I just bought one of the cheapest swords for my collection, but now I am fighting 6 guards, and I can't kill a single one of them. Do I really have to travel back to mansion to re-equip? fuck that shit!!
- the game is too long with to many filler missions, do 4 of this, do 3 of that, do 4 of that. BORING!
- I am looking for the last codex, why is there no world map to show me with city it is in, I have to travel to each city, and then look at the map?? fuck that shit!!

/rant

Hope the game is over soon.

Leunam

One thing I never got tired of: grabbing rooftop guards, tossing them over the side, and watching them fall. I'd go out of my way to do that shit.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Leunam said:
One thing I never got tired of: grabbing rooftop guards, tossing them over the side, and watching them fall. I'd go out of my way to do that shit.

That and the in-cover (haystack) kills. Great stuff.

Irish

Learn 2 Play??

For the first one, why in the hell would you be holding the leg button down all the time? It's not necessary. That's why you're jumping over cracks in the sidewalk.

You always kill the bards? Rage issues, son! (You could easily shove them out of the way by letting go of the legs button (seeing a pattern) and pushing the unarmed button while sprinting.)

I agree with the third one, but at least there's an in-game reason. Why would a caravan travel from one gate to another? (That's what fast travel is. :p)

The armor/weapon one is also stupid, but kinda makes sense. You should be able to change it through the inventory menu like the capes though.

I disagree here!

Why wouldn't you visit all the viewpoints in the city as soon as they open it up and then go for the codex pages? They were obviously important; the game was always talking about them.

Yes, I'm a rabid fanboy. Your rage is a little silly though. :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Weapon upgrades also showed up in the blacksmith shop at the villa, IIRC. I did almost all of my new weapon shopping there, then double-backed to the villa to switch back to my preferred weapon, if necessary.

Lute guys are easy to defeat. Just sprint (don't even need to tackle) into them in order to get them to drop their lutes and stop following you. It's faster and easier than killing them, since you can just keep on sprinting along.

Sai-kun

Banned
burnfout said:
Fuck this game is getting frustrating the last 4 or so hours, so many design issues its driving me fucking crazy..

- the controls are really starting to get on my nerves, the amount of times the fucker jumped/fell/leaped whatever where I didn't want him to is astounding.
- the bards/singers can die in a fire, it maybe funny twice, but during a chase just now I was stopped by 6!!! bards, after killing 3 ( I always kill them ) I failed the mission, fuck this shit!!!!
- why can't I fast travel in a specific city, to go from west to east venice I have to leave and re-travel?? fuck that shit.
- how can I buy lower spec armor/weapons without equiping them, I just bought one of the cheapest swords for my collection, but now I am fighting 6 guards, and I can't kill a single one of them. Do I really have to travel back to mansion to re-equip? fuck that shit!!
- the game is too long with to many filler missions, do 4 of this, do 3 of that, do 4 of that. BORING!
- I am looking for the last codex, why is there no world map to show me with city it is in, I have to travel to each city, and then look at the map?? fuck that shit!!

/rant

There's only 3 cities. :lol Avatar quote.

timkunedo

burnfout said:

/rant

You can't miss the last codex. It is story related. Just continue on with the game and you will find it. Promise.

sangreal

burnfout said:

Zoom out?

IIRC, you can view any map from any city

timkunedo said:
You can't miss the last codex. It is story related. Just continue on with the game and you will find it. Promise.

Unless he already got the last story related codex. In which case the story pauses and forces you to go and get the rest of the codexes (and they are all revealed on the map)

BJK

Mindlog said:
ATM

Always
Throw
Money

Minstrels were never an issue for me.

I'd rather do the reverse, and just pickpocket them. Sure, you get a little bit of negative notoriety, but it makes you feel better about tracking down another wanted poster.

MMaRsu

burnfout said:

/rant

2eckpe1.gif

Burnfout your avatar is too true.

burnfout

Just wasn't feeling it anymore. First 10 or so hours were amazing. Last 10 hours were mostly annoying.

The biggest problem of the game was that I never ever felt like an assassin, each mission consisted of killing 20-30 guards, none of the targets could be reached (Tenchu style) without conflict.

The final assassination was by far the best.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
burnfout said:
Just wasn't feeling it anymore. First 10 or so hours were amazing. Last 10 hours were mostly annoying.

The biggest problem of the game was that I never ever felt like an assassin, each mission consisted of killing 20-30 guards, none of the targets could be reached (Tenchu style) without conflict.

The final assassination was by far the best.

This never really bothered me. Why do you have to be stealthy? Ezio doesn't even try and conceal himself in the cutscenes and stealth is never really emphasized in the game.

With that said, you certainly can kill the targets without conflict. I'm not sure if it is possible to kill all of them that way, but I certainly did it this way with some of them. It is a lot easier to just cut your way in and run the target down, though, and there isn't really any tangible reward to taking them out stealthily.

El-Suave

Finished the game and got the Platinum trophy last night.

Very good game, I really liked that they managed to ground the game much more in its setting and culture by having plenty of historical references and that they used a lot of Italian as part of the voicework. Of course it has to be taken with a big grain of salt, but I feel you could actually learn a little bit about the Renaissance from playing. Bravo!

As for the actual gameplay, I'm not sure they've improved it as much as the critics are saying. I wish it would go more into the Deus Ex direction and generally give you more options. Even an ancient game like Syndicate was more inventive than AC when it comes to what you can do with crowds and how you can tackle objectives in a big city environment.

Fortunately I didn't mind the game's weak points. I already liked AC1 a lot and this one clearly is better. Bring on the DLC.

Sai

So, I played through the game again, and came across this possible glitch...

I've forgotten which sequence it was exactly, it's the one where you're able to purchase all but one piece of the entire set of Missaglias Armor. I believe the Missaglias Pauldrons were the only piece you couldn't buy at this point, so I've still got the Metal Pauldrons equipped.

Now, what I thought was odd was that I had this fancy lookin' cape equipped--it wasn't the Forli cape, nor was it the Venetian or Auditore capes(hadn't gotten them yet). I assumed it was just a part of the Missaglias Armor, since the design of the cape seemed to compliment the Missaglias' ingravings, and I somehow failed to notice it the first time around. But as soon as I equipped the Missaglias Pauldrons, the came disappears, never to be seen again. This leads me to believe they are a part of the Metal Pauldrons, but...

I complete the game, go back to the Villa and start messing around with the armor pieces, and I can't get this cape to reappear! So... Is this another item locked away in the game that I just happened to stumble across, or what? Has anybody else seen this cape?

If I had known at the time, I would've taken a picture... :/

burnfout said:
I kind of agree, I wish the game would somehow reward you more for being more stealthy about your assassinations. You weren't exactly rewarded for it, but in the first game, you actually had the option to sneak up on most of your targets.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
beelzebozo said:
any advantages to installing on x360?
I think the load times might be marginally better, but it might have just been the placebo effect.

Sai said:
So, I played through the game again, and came across this possible glitch...

I've forgotten which sequence it was exactly, it's the one where you're able to purchase all but one piece of the entire set of Missaglias Armor. I believe the Missaglias Pauldrons were the only piece you couldn't buy at this point, so I've still got the Metal Pauldrons equipped.

Now, what I thought was odd was that I had this fancy lookin' cape equipped--it wasn't the Forli cape, nor was it the Venetian or Auditore capes(hadn't gotten them yet). I assumed it was just a part of the Missaglias Armor, since the design of the cape seemed to compliment the Missaglias' ingravings, and I somehow failed to notice it the first time around. But as soon as I equipped the Missaglias Pauldrons, the came disappears, never to be seen again. This leads me to believe they are a part of the Metal Pauldrons, but...

I complete the game, go back to the Villa and start messing around with the armor pieces, and I can't get this cape to reappear! So... Is this another item locked away in the game that I just happened to stumble across, or what? Has anybody else seen this cape?

If I had known at the time, I would've taken a picture... :/

That cape is the carnival cape, part of your disguise I guess, it's shame you don't get to keep it as it's the nicest one and fits perfectly with the missaglias armor.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
beelzebozo said:
any advantages to installing on x360?

I would imagine less noticeable texture popin and faster loading times in the matrix load screens ..

still every time I'd exit the villa, those damn tree's would pop up even with the install.

Volcynika

My friend hit the spawning archers bug on the 360 version, and was able to snap a pic with his phone before his system crashed (Phone pic = not great quality of course!)

24qk0ah.jpg

He went on a crazy stabbing spree and poisoned some. :lol

Nemesis_

Volcynika said:
My friend hit the spawning archers bug on the 360 version, and was able to snap a pic with his phone before his system crashed (Phone pic = not great quality of course!)

24qk0ah.jpg

He went on a crazy stabbing spree and poisoned some. :lol

If you watch the video I posted above you'll see that once I stabbed one the whole game froze.

I love how they spawn so much that they push other guards off the rooftop. Awesome stuff. =P

Sai

neva- said:
That cape is the carnival cape, part of your disguise I guess, it's shame you don't get to keep it as it's the nicest one and fits perfectly with the missaglias armor.
Seriously, should've gave us the option to switch. :(

Rez said:
I think the load times might be marginally better, but it might have just been the placebo effect.

I gotta be honest, I feel the install has really helped my load times. I have not put a stop watch to it but it certainly seems much faster for me.

Edit: I should mention why I feel this way.. I play on 2 360s. Depending on which TV my wife wants to watch I will play on a certain 360. I have the game installed on one 360 and not on the other so I do go back and forth.

grkazan12

Did anyone who finish the game and didn't play the first one feel lost at all when following the story or disconnected witht the story or characters???

The only thing that I've done is that I read conclusion and story to the first game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
grkazan12 said:
Did anyone who finish the game and didn't play the first one feel lost at all when following the story or disconnected witht the story or characters???

The only thing that I've done is that I read conclusion and story to the first game.

Me. I didn't know PoE stood for Piece of Eden until near the end of the game. :lol

ultron87

Finished the game last night.

So my housemate who hadn't experienced any of the last game and only somewhat watched this one was pretty shocked when I jumped from some scaffolding in the Sistine Chapel in order to stab the Pope in the head only to have him be totally okay due to his magic death stick. Then things only got crazier from there.

Btw, how awesome is the fact that one of the things you do in this game is
"jump from some scaffolding in the Sistine Chapel in order to stab the Pope in the head"? Also, Machiavelli is an Assassin?
Totally awesome!

ultron87 said:
Finished the game last night.

So my housemate who hadn't experienced any of the last game and only somewhat watched this one was pretty shocked when I jumped from some scaffolding in the Sistine Chapel in order to stab the Pope in the head only to have him be totally okay due to his magic death stick. Then things only got crazier from there.

Btw, how awesome is the fact that one of the things you do in this game is
"jump from some scaffolding in the Sistine Chapel in order to stab the Pope in the head"? Also, Machiavelli is an Assassin?
Totally awesome!

I loved the blasphemy in the game. A+.

Top Bottom