• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

ACE 1991

Talon- said:

Thanks, I'll definitely be going with the 360 version. Two questions: How long is the game if one takes out side quests? I'll do some of them, but I usually don't do many of them with this kind of game. Also, what is the hard drive space required to install ac2 on the 360?

Struct09

ACE 1991 said:
Thanks, I'll definitely be going with the 360 version. Two questions: How long is the game if one takes out side quests? I'll do some of them, but I usually don't do many of them with this kind of game. Also, what is the hard drive space required to install ac2 on the 360?

I would guess ~15 hours doing no side quests, ~25 hours if you did all of them.

theluma

Just did the Assassination Contract
"Wet Work" in Forli, the one where you have to swim out to the boat and kill the captain. So I was all excited and decided I would try and do it without getting seen at all.

5 seconds into the restricted area i fail and get seen. So the guard is yelling at me and I hug the boat. They seem to have lost sight of me and I'm about to be invisible again when I hear a huge splash and I get the message saying I completed the mission. I then went up and killed all the guards, and sure enough the captain was nowhere to be seen.

Wanted to do it properly so I replayed it and this time I was completely unnoticed the whole way through, but a guard fell off the ship for no reason again and died. Seriously? Are they drunk or something?

And then my PS3 froze :lol

ACE 1991

chandoog said:
The install is 5.4 gigs (less than AC1).

Great, I have just enough room on my HD for it. Does it cut down load times at all? Regardless, the 360 sounds like a lawn mower without the game installed so I'll do it anyways.

Struct09

ACE 1991 said:
Great, I have just enough room on my HD for it. Does it cut down load times at all? Regardless, the 360 sounds like a lawn mower without the game installed so I'll do it anyways.

The loading times aren't that bad to begin with. I installed it, and the most noticeable benefit was playing without the sound of a jet engine in the background.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
ACE 1991 said:

I would assume the matrix screen loadings are a bit faster, I haven't played the game without the install at all so I can't compare, just referencing from AC1.

ACE 1991

Struct09 said:
The loading times aren't that bad to begin with. I installed it, and the most noticeable benefit was playing without the sound of a jet engine in the background.

Great, I just ordered my copy on amazon. Oh god, I have three amazing games to get through now. Dragon Age, GoW 2 (from the collection) and now this. I won't need any new games for quite a while :lol

cjelly said:
Yes, 'The Kicker' for kicking an enemy while flying is the only missable achievement.

Makes it even worse that it's just 5G, so you'd be stuck on 995. :lol

oh for fucks sake. missed it then.

Is there a mission replay mode inbound?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,

acevans2

I really don't like the way the game ended. Great game overall, though. Gotta collect some feathers and somehow beat 10 guys without being hit. Seems impossible the way I fight.

Justin

NinjaFusion said:
oh for fucks sake. missed it then.

Is there a mission replay mode inbound?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,

Cant you replay the missions by going into DNA finiding the mission then selecting "Replay Memory"?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You can't replay story missions. At least it's only 5 points, you can still finish with 995 overall which is close enough, right?

Red

Justin said:
Cant you replay the missions by going into DNA finiding the mission then selecting "Replay Memory"?
For some reason you can replay sidequests but not main memories.

Red

I have to chime in on performance issues. In my experience, ACII had many more torn frames than the first game did. Like, almost constantly, after a while I just got used to the shaky line in the middle of my TV. Frame rates also dropped really low, to the point where I thought the game was about to lock up and freeze. I don't have any tools to claim an exact rate, but considering my experience with some choppy PC games I'd place it between ten and fifteen frames.

360 version for me. The frame rate hitches weren't a constant companion, but the tearing was. When I say it was bad, I mean it was very, very bad. I also had strange red and white lines appear near the tops and bottom of the screen and some strange non-Animus related flashes where it seemed like a black and white grid would appear over everything for a fraction of a second. I took a look at the Digital Foundry comparison, and my experience was so different I needed to say something.

edit:
Ugh DP, what have I done?!

Struct09

acevans2 said:
Gotta collect some feathers and somehow beat 10 guys without being hit. Seems impossible the way I fight.

Use smoke bombs to your advantage. Throw one, assassinate a few guards, toss another, repeat.

Red

Struct09 said:
Use smoke bombs to your advantage. Throw one, assassinate a few guards, toss another, repeat.
There's a mission early on where
Mario and his posse are fighting some guards
, and everyone totally ignores you the entire time. All you need to do is kill ten guys, there's no risk of even being hit.

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
I've seen that Ubi is going to release a patch for the "outside the Animus" bug. Is there any word on a patch for the "double stabbing four guards in the middle of a smoke bomb and the game freezes" bug?
just quoting this once more. any word from Ubi on this? Ranger X?:D

this is for the PS3 version :(

Justin said:

....... runs to ps3.

edit...

No it would appear not... not sure about if you haven't already finished the game though.

Dude Abides

Banned
Is there an in-game map for the feathers that will make them pop up on my mini-map, as there is for the treasures? If so, where can I get it?

En-ou

finished AC1 earlier (screw taking on 10 templars before robert, did it after like 15 tries)

i just put in 2...damn this game is just oozing with polish and quality, i'm just loving it. everything feels so tighter, cleaner, just awesome!

Struct09

Dude Abides said:
Is there an in-game map for the feathers that will make them pop up on my mini-map, as there is for the treasures? If so, where can I get it?

Nope. There's guides out though, like this one.

The game will at least track you how you're doing with feathers in each area - go into the options menu, choose DNA, and scroll over to feathers.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So I'm at a part where
you suddenly play as Altair in Acre and you're chasing this guy. I get to the part where the camera pans around this Castle and I get half way through and I have to get on top of this wooden pole that has a small lamp hanging from the bottom of it. Altair will not get onto that wooden pole no matter what I do. When I get super close to it (since there's a metal door directly underneath it that you can somewhat climb), he just looks up at it instead of trying to climb onto it.

Any help?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's still way too soon to be talking about AC3 but would anybody else be OK with smaller cities as long if it meant no tearing and a stable frame rate?

ezekial45

Banned
Domino Theory said:
So I'm at a part where
you suddenly play as Altair in Acre and you're chasing this guy. I get to the part where the camera pans around this Castle and I get half way through and I have to get on top of this wooden pole that has a small lamp hanging from the bottom of it. Altair will not get onto that wooden pole no matter what I do. When I get super close to it (since there's a metal door directly underneath it that you can somewhat climb), he just looks up at it instead of trying to climb onto it.

Any help?

Stand under it and jump up to it.

Garret

Domino Theory said:
So I'm at a part where

Any help?

R1 + X, no analog stick movements involved whatsoever.

Troidal

So I'm in Sequence 4 and now can do the villa part. Man this just made earning money all too easy! I know some people would consider it an exploit, but it's not a bug and is part of game design. You can pretty much acquire a lot of items at this point in the game and that just makes things a bit too easy, no? And don't say - THEN DON'T DO IT. They should have perhaps set the villa earnings every hour instead of 20 min...I can let the game sit for an hour and I make tons of cash!

X26

Banned
Everybody gets stuck there :lol

I did too, and after~10mins and a death I just held a and released under it and that was it and he jumped in place, felt like a moron

ACE 1991 said:
I'm undecided on which console to buy this game... On one hand I love my PS3 and prefer the controller but I hear that the 360 version is significantly superior to the ps3's.

I got the PS3 version. Why? Because I know when I press the power button I'm going to be able to play it. Don't have any confidence in 360 after 5 failures (not to mention they simply don't deserve my support anymore).

NIGHT-

BolognaSoup said:
I got the PS3 version. Why? Because I know when I press the power button I'm going to be able to play it. Don't have any confidence in 360 after 5 failures (not to mention they simply don't deserve my support anymore).

Is that really called for?

Just finished the game this morning and man what a awesome ride :D .

Can someone explain to me exactly how the Bunker and Synapses puzzle is solved. I just randomly guessed the first and had to get the answer for the 2nd but even with the answers I have no idea how they were found.

Wow. I just checked my play time and I'm getting close to 30 hours and I'm still not finished yet. I finally did give up feather hunting, but have been doing all the sidequests. The value you get out of this game is amazing. My only complaint is it's starting to drag on a little bit, though I think I'm close to the end game.

Red

SuperSonic1305 said:
Can someone explain to me exactly how the Bunker and Synapses puzzle is solved. I just randomly guessed the first and had to get the answer for the 2nd but even with the answers I have no idea how they were found.
I don't remember the bunker one, but synapses is pretty easy.

Obviously the 5 = >, and then just use the equation on the left to solve the rest. Each "Y" shape = 1 and each ">" = 10.

At first it's tricky, but becomes pretty simple once you're given a hint.

Ravidrath

Any tips for the No-hitter Trophy/Achievement?

Where should I try to get this? Should I just fight around a bunch of guys and hope they link? I'm well past the fight mentioned above.

Someone above said to use Smoke Bombs, but as near as I can tell, that doesn't keep you in "fight mode," so you can't do it? Or do you just need to kill 10 people in succession without being hit? Or am I overthinking this?

Red

Ravidrath said:

Where should I try to get this? Should I just fight around a bunch of guys and hope they link? I'm well past the fight mentioned above.

Someone above said to use Smoke Bombs, but as near as I can tell, that doesn't keep you in "fight mode," so you can't do it? Or do you just need to kill 10 people in succession without being hit? Or am I overthinking this?
I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it should be easy enough just getting some guards angry and countering their advances.

duckroll

Ravidrath said:

There is a "kill 10 brutes" Assassination Contract in Florence. You can use that + smoke bombs and dual hidden blades to get that achievement/trophy very easily. :)

Mifune

Mehmber
En-ou said:
finished AC1 earlier (screw taking on 10 templars before robert, did it after like 15 tries)

Huh, I didn't have much trouble with that part at all. Kind of enjoyed it, actually. Now the final battle, on the other hand...

hamchan

Troidal said:
So I'm in Sequence 4 and now can do the villa part. Man this just made earning money all too easy! I know some people would consider it an exploit, but it's not a bug and is part of game design. You can pretty much acquire a lot of items at this point in the game and that just makes things a bit too easy, no? And don't say - THEN DON'T DO IT. They should have perhaps set the villa earnings every hour instead of 20 min...I can let the game sit for an hour and I make tons of cash!
You don't even have to let it sit. Just play the game normally and you'll be rolling in cash. They should have added a million dollar sword or something as a use for all the money.

Also for the next game they shouldn't give the player 15 slots for medicine. I'd prefer starting with 1 slot with a maximum of 4 after upgrades.

bigswords

hamchan said:
You don't even have to let it sit. Just play the game normally and you'll be rolling in cash. They should have added a million dollar sword or something as a use for all the money.

Also for the next game they shouldn't give the player 15 slots for medicine. I'd prefer starting with 1 slot with a maximum of 4 after upgrades.

No I'm glad they made the game easier. The difficulty to it is a nice sweet spot between hardcore and casual.

Aspiring

Ordered this today. Cannot wait for it to arrive, should be a cracker. I loved Prince Of Persia, and this looks like the platforming is ver similar, but with bloody moments :D

bigswords said:
No I'm glad they made the game easier. The difficulty to it is a nice sweet spot between hardcore and casual.
Really? I don't remember any remotely challenging parts. The only times I ever had to restart missions were when I was accidentally detected on a level where I had to be stealthy.

That said, though, I would definitely prefer an easy game to one made artificially hard like Assassin's Creed 1. From about Memory Block 7 onwards Altair just stops doing lethal counters with his sword. In the early parts of the game most counter animations would be lethal, though there were a couple where Altair would just punch instead of stab. Later on, though, it's like Altair forgets how to counter kill. It's literally the only semblance of a difficulty curve in the game:lol

Korey

For those of you stressing out about the "Sweeper" and "No-hitter" achievements and like me, saved it for the very last points to get, don't worry. They're really easy to get with these two techniques:

Sweeper (10)
Sweep 5 guards at once by using a Long Weapon.
(credit to Roborobz on Xbox360Achievements.org)
  1. Buy "Long Weapon Training" from the villa combat instructor
  2. Fast travel to
    San Marco District, Venice
  3. Once it loads, quickly move foward and look for the first guard patrol which will always have a soldier armed with a spear. They'll be moving from left -> right on your screen.
  4. Assassinate all 4 in the group and grab the spear
  5. Move NW from there (clockwise around the huge building - the
    Campanile di San Marco
    ) and look towards the east and you'll see 4 brutes standing together guarding the main gate/door to the building.
  6. Engage the brutes (a bunch of nearby guards will aggro making it over 5 guards)
  7. Keep sweeping when you're surrounded until you get it. If it fails or your spear breaks, just try it again. I got it on my first attempt using this strat.

No-hitter (20)
Kill 10 enemies while remaining in conflict without being hit.
  1. Get the max number of smoke bombs (3)
  2. Go to any city (I chose one of the earlier ones for "easier" guards, I think Forli)
  3. Aggro 10+ soldiers. Since they tend to gather in groups of four, just aggro one group, then run to about two more groups and they'll pick up some more along the way. I think the animus only highlights up to around 8-10 guards, so you might have more on you even though you can only count 8 "tickers" above their heads.
  4. Stop running and let yourself be surrounded by guards. Select your hidden blade.
  5. Throw a smoke bomb, assassinate 3 guards. The smoke will start running out at this point.
  6. Throw a smoke bomb, assassinate 3 guards.
  7. Throw a smoke bomb, assassinate 3 guards.
  8. You'll be able to get an extra one in there, I'd wait til the last step to do it for less risk.

bigswords

matrix-cat said:
Really? I don't remember any remotely challenging parts. The only times I ever had to restart missions were when I was accidentally detected on a level where I had to be stealthy.

Awesome, you are gamer god, if I was female I would get down on my knees and beg you for me to suck your awesome sword.

Family tomb, I hate timed based stuff

Top Bottom