• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Red

Zefah said:
I just completed the story and I really enjoyed the ending. I'm really enjoying the story. I still need to go back and complete the glyphs for "the truth" and hunt for some other achievements, but I was very disappointed to discover that there is no option to replay specific memories. I am now screwed on getting the achievement for kicking a guard while on the flying machine unless I start up a new game and play to that point again.

My only real complaint with the game is how they did a terrible job at making it feel like 10 years were actually progressing as went through the various memory sequences. Seriously now, Ezio's mom was praying by the bed that whole time? Your sister was keeping records at that desk for 10 years straight? No one changed their clothes? Normally something like this wouldn't bother me in a video game, but they paid so much attention to detail in other parts of the game that this complete failure to give any sense of time passing throughout the game was really jarring for me.

I still really enjoyed the game and think it is one of the best this year. It is definitely in my top 3 or 4 and I am really looking forward to the next title in the series.
Ezio did grow a five 'o clock shadow, so there was at least some thought put into it :lol
Sai said:
I think he means the last tomb that's made available for you to explore. That would be the one with the
giant squid
--can't remember the name of the place.

[EDIT] - Sorry about the double post. :(
Giant what now? I played through them all and never saw that.

I've seen that Ubi is going to release a patch for the "outside the Animus" bug. Is there any word on a patch for the "double stabbing four guards in the middle of a smoke bomb and the game freezes" bug?

BeeDog

Zeliard said:
Venice is quite huge, BeeDog. You're in for a treat.

Awesome, glad to hear this. Don't really want this game to end, having too much fun just jumping around Banlieue style and stabbing people in their nostrils. :D

conman

BeeDog said:
Awesome, glad to hear this. Don't really want this game to end, having too much fun just jumping around Banlieue style and stabbing people in their nostrils. :D
I'm with you. I'm savoring this game. I'm 20 hours in and have completely finished the first three areas of Florence and the villa (feathers, side missions, treasure, paintings, equipment, etc). I'm only just now moving into Tuscany.

Any early reservations I had about this game (mostly because of what was lost from AC1) are long gone. My only remaining criticism is that AC2 feels much more "gamey" than AC1. AC1 felt like much more of an experience in a place and time. In AC2, it's too easy to forget about Ezio's story as you wander the cities.

I'm playing through AC2 without any HUD elements except for money and current weapon icon. It works surprisingly well that way. Feels very natural. The default HUD settings are just way too cluttered and, well, gamey.

DocStar

Neo Member
Is there anything to miss during the course of the main story? I really really wanna 1000 that Game! Is any of the achievements missable?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DocStar said:
Is there anything to miss during the course of the main story? I really really wanna 1000 that Game! Is any of the achievements missable?

Just be sure to kick someone when using The Vinci's Wings, that is all as far as I know.

Red

Snuggler said:
Just be sure to kick someone when using The Vinci's Wings, that is all as far as I know.
da Vinci.

Also I'm in the camp that must play with the HUD turned off. It's so cluttered, especially when you start adding health. I play only with the map turned on so I don't get disoriented. Not so much a problem in Tuscany or Forli, but districts in the bigger cities can start to feel samey.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Snuggler said:
Yes, 'The Kicker' for kicking an enemy while flying is the only missable achievement.

Makes it even worse that it's just 5G, so you'd be stuck on 995. :lol

Hyunkel6

Any tips for the guys with lances/pikes and the giant lumbering guys in full armor? Is it even possible to counter them? There are around 4-5 around me, and I'm getting my ass kicked.

Irish

Switch to unarmed combat and disarm them.

EDIT:

I never know where to post with both threads, so I'll put this in here as well.

I hope the Desmond parts in AC III are more like they were in the first game. They were easily the most interesting parts of the first one. (and I loved every bit of the first) In fact, the Truth Glyphs reminded me of those parts in AC1.

I'm kinda hoping the next one takes place during and after the French Revolution (1789-1799). It just seems like an interesting time period. (Plus, you could focus on different types of gameplay that would still work for an Assassin.) The conspiracyish story could really thrive here.

I also think it could be a time where all of the Assassin guilds may have met together. (They seem to be united in Desmond's time, but it's clear that they aren't in Altair and Ezio's times.) I'd like to see what united them and how much different knowledge came together when they joined. I mean, things weren't and still aren't being discovered everywhere at once at the same time.

ACE 1991

So what's the consensus on the PS3 vs. 360 versions? I'm using a VGA cable on my 360 as it doesn't have an HDMI port, so I'm opting for the PS3 version at the moment.

Red

Hyunkel6 said:
Any tips for the guys with lances/pikes and the giant lumbering guys in full armor? Is it even possible to counter them? There are around 4-5 around me, and I'm getting my ass kicked.
Eh, I never had a problem with the brutes. I think the lance guys are seekers? They block a lot and can be a pain in the ass. But the brutes are easy as pie. Just go unarmed and steal their weapon (usually an axe), and then swing once for an instant kill. My best advice for the lance guys (besides using a smoke bomb which is pretty much an instant win against any enemy) is trying to sneak up behind them and gutting them unseen. Or do a hiding place kill before they start stabbing whatever hay bale you're in.

You know, throwing sand at the seekers might be an easy way to get them to drop their lances. I never tried it but it seems like it would be effective.

Struct09

Hyunkel6 said:

Guys with lances - grab them, throw them to the ground, and stab them

Guys with axes - switch to your fists and disarm them

BeeDog

How do you get the "Clean Sweep" (my trophies are in Swedish so don't know its English name) trophy where you have to kill 5 enemies in one swoop with a big weapon?

Amir0x

Banned
BeeDog said:
How do you get the "Clean Sweep" (my trophies are in Swedish so don't know its English name) trophy where you have to kill 5 enemies in one swoop with a big weapon?

Just grab a spear, get the attention of more than five enemies, back up a bit and then start charging when you have a slight distance between you and then, and hopefully you'll get five of them with the sweep. They'll often stop your charge so it may take a few attempts.

conman

ACE 1991 said:
So what's the consensus on the PS3 vs. 360 versions? I'm using a VGA cable on my 360 as it doesn't have an HDMI port, so I'm opting for the PS3 version at the moment.
The consensus seems to be that the differences are minimal. However, if you have a choice, go for the 360 version. Far less screen tearing and framerate hitches. I bought the PS3 version originally (assuming the differences were being exaggerated), but almost immediately realized my mistake. If you're the type to get distracted by framerate and tearing issues, definitely go for the 360 version.

Also, the VGA connection will get you just as good an image as the HDMI connection would. Don't let that decide you.

Crunched said:
da Vinci.

Also I'm in the camp that must play with the HUD turned off. It's so cluttered, especially when you start adding health. I play only with the map turned on so I don't get disoriented. Not so much a problem in Tuscany or Forli, but districts in the bigger cities can start to feel samey.
Once you start playing without the mini-map, you get really good at orienting yourself quickly. Every town has a handful of highly visible landmarks. Just climb to a rooftop, and you'll know where you are instantly.

...but then again, I'm one of the folks that played without the mini-map and large map screen in the first game, so I may not be the best person to be giving advice on this. :D

bdouble

Crunched said:
da Vinci.

Yeah I'm the same way. Once I got hang of the controls everything but my weapon and map went off. I wish there was a compass with waypoints on it though so I could just have that instead of the mini map. Or even just lights in the sky when in eagle vision showing the point I highlight on my map.

HEll something a bit more dynamic would be cool. Maybe a money thing that showed up only when I pick up gold. No idea howich is ever in a chest. Once I finish the story I will turn I allboff just to explore and do the rest of my sidequests. Health bar is so unecissary because o have so damn much now with jus metal armor anyways.

They really should try and integrate the hid a bit more. I knowthey javelin the excuse of the animus showing allthat info but a hudless AC would be a better one in my opinion (like most games unless it's a visor ala metroid or halo)

Red

conman said:
The consensus seems to be that the differences are minimal. However, if you have a choice, go for the 360 version. Far less screen tearing and framerate hitches. I bought the PS3 version originally (assuming the differences were being exaggerated), but almost immediately realized my mistake. If you're the type to get distracted by framerate and tearing issues, definitely go for the 360 version.

Also, the VGA connection will get you just as good an image as the HDMI connection would. Don't let that decide you.

Once you start playing without the mini-map, you get really good at orienting yourself quickly. Every town has a handful of highly visible landmarks. Just climb to a rooftop, and you'll know where you are instantly.

...but then again, I'm one of the folks that played without the mini-map and large map screen in the first game, so I may not be the best person to be giving advice on this. :D
I played without a map on the first game as well, but there were occasions where I'd get tripped up and confused about where exactly I was. I can use the landmarks to recognize a general area, but have trouble remembering exact pathways between rooftops and streets. Basically I can look at a building and remember where I am, but not where I'm supposed to go in relation to that building.
bdouble said:
Yeah I'm the same way. Once I got hang of the controls everything but my weapon and map went off. I wish there was a compass with waypoints on it though so I could just have that instead of the mini map. Or even just lights in the sky when in eagle vision showing the point I highlight on my map.
Yeah, that would be my ideal. Something to indicate direction or objective without taking up a full corner of the screen.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
How do you get the Air Assasination Poison Achievement? When I select my poison, it seems to be a blade or something. Am I supposed to stab someone once with a poison blade then stab them AGAIN?

sangreal

Domino Theory said:
How do you get the Air Assasination Poison Achievement? When I select my poison, it seems to be a blade or something. Am I supposed to stab someone once with a poison blade then stab them AGAIN?

Yes, the poison doesn't kill them instantly, nor does it alert the guards

so just stab someone with the poison blade, climb a wall and assassinate

Struct09

I just finished the game. Despite thinking two years ago that the sequel to AC could be completely awesome, this game still surprised me. I absolutely loved the game, and as of right now it's my favorite game released this year.

I could sing praises all day long, but this is the internet so of course I have to point out my gripes. There were times where the camera and controls didn't play nicely, which was the primary reason that I hated doing the races. Also, the
final boss fight was an easy bitch-slap fest, but was thankfully quickly overlooked due to the awesome ending.

Bring on the DLC and AC3!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
cjelly said:
Yes, 'The Kicker' for kicking an enemy while flying is the only missable achievement.

Makes it even worse that it's just 5G, so you'd be stuck on 995. :lol

Can't believe that slipped through. Mission replay should be in there anyway but to not have it in and then to put in a trophy/achievement that can be missed quite easily is just plain retarded. Need a patch or something.

Hyunkel6

Crunched said:
Eh, I never had a problem with the brutes. I think the lance guys are seekers? They block a lot and can be a pain in the ass. But the brutes are easy as pie. Just go unarmed and steal their weapon (usually an axe), and then swing once for an instant kill. My best advice for the lance guys (besides using a smoke bomb which is pretty much an instant win against any enemy) is trying to sneak up behind them and gutting them unseen. Or do a hiding place kill before they start stabbing whatever hay bale you're in.

You know, throwing sand at the seekers might be an easy way to get them to drop their lances. I never tried it but it seems like it would be effective.

Struct09 said:
Guys with lances - grab them, throw them to the ground, and stab them

Guys with axes - switch to your fists and disarm them

Thanks. They are so helpless when disarmed that it almost feels like cheating. :lol

Dude Abides

Banned
What is this eye icon that it tells me will pop up when a glyph is in range? I've done two glyphs, so I know the deal with those, but I don't see this "eye icon" it's talking about. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

bdouble

Yeah I'm almost always going unarmed nobmatter the enemy (the ones that counter pinches and block you are a paint so u stick a butchers knife in their head). Things go down faster just disarming and using that weapon against then. Well I guess just slower than a hidden blade to the back.

Red

Dude Abides said:
What is this eye icon that it tells me will pop up when a glyph is in range? I've done two glyphs, so I know the deal with those, but I don't see this "eye icon" it's talking about. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
I don't know if the icon will appear if you've turned off notifications. It's a small red eye at the top left of the "location" picture that appears when you arrive at a building with a glyph. If you have the HUD completely turned off you can check what buildings have a glyph by checking the locations in your database.

ACE 1991

conman said:

However, HDMI does have a big advantage over VGA. VGA disables much of the picture options on my set. (40 inch LCD Samsung)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ACE 1991 said:
However, HDMI does have a big advantage over VGA. VGA disables much of the picture options on my set. (40 inch LCD Samsung)
Uh, yeah, that is a good thing.

Using VGA disables all the processing bollocks that your TV tries to do normally.

conman

Crunched said:
Yeah, that would be my ideal. Something to indicate direction or objective without taking up a full corner of the screen.
Best solution would be something closer to how Crackdown works. Use different colored "spotlights" while in Eagle Vision to indicate where to go. The mini-map feels old fashioned. After seeing how much work the detective mode does in Batman, there's no reason they couldn't have put Eagle Vision to more work.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amir0x said:
Just grab a spear, get the attention of more than five enemies, back up a bit and then start charging when you have a slight distance between you and then, and hopefully you'll get five of them with the sweep. They'll often stop your charge so it may take a few attempts.

Also, you need to buy the skill from the combat trainer first.

What is this "U Action" thing that pops up? I just got a trophy after completing my first crypt and right after the trophy alert popped up a "U Action" earned message came up. It's not the first one either, I don't think.

Talon

bbsting120 said:
What is this "U Action" thing that pops up? I just got a trophy after completing my first crypt and right after the trophy alert popped up a "U Action" earned message came up. It's not the first one either, I don't think.
It's Ubisoft's own achievements, much like EA's system. You can use them to buy content from UPlay, which can be accessed from the title screen. One of the items you can buy with those points is a playable section.

bdouble

conman said:
Best solution would be something closer to how Crackdown works. Use different colored "spotlights" while in Eagle Vision to indicate where to go. The mini-map feels old fashioned. After seeing how much work the detective mode does in Batman, there's no reason they couldn't have put Eagle Vision to more work.
Idk was nice. I like how they made it so its not practical playing the whole game in th vision mode. They definitely should have put more functionality into it though.

Talon- said:
It's Ubisoft's own achievements, much like EA's system. You can use them to buy content from UPlay, which can be accessed from the title screen. One of the items you can buy with those points is a playable section.

Oh, sweet. That's a pretty nice idea.

mattalos

King of Awesome
i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Is there any word on a patch for the "double stabbing four guards in the middle of a smoke bomb and the game freezes" bug?

Freaking had to reset my PS3 like 5 times trying to do the No-Hitter that way. Glad it wasn't just me.

Zeke

alright gaf I need some help I just started playing a little bit ago and I'm trying to get all the viewpoints in Florence for fun and I like running around on roofs:p I can't manage to get the last one. I can only climb like maybe halfway up the building. Its the one next to the big dome church where you can climb all the way up and sit on the cross. Is there something special I have to do or is there some piece of equipment I need that I'm missing?
Edit: nvm figured it out

hamchan

Just finished the game. I liked the first Assassin's Creed but really loved this one. The mission structure and storyline have been improved so much. The combat got even easier though but I don't really mind about that, makes it more fun in a way. The only glitch i've seen was Ezio getting stuck in a tree.

Holy shit @ the ending.
I was thinking it was some ancient civilization thing but the way they did it was brilliant. Minerva using Ezio to deliver the message to Desmond was freaking mindblowing.

Faith in Ubisoft restored. I want AC3 now!

Billen

Banned
This game forces me to run around the city, stealing the coin from all I can see, trying to firuge out how much next target will carry. Damn you, thief-person-turning game! Damn you to hell!

By the way, really enjoying the city :)

hamchan

NinjaFusion said:
please tell me you can get back on the flying machine?

i missed the trophy and only need a couple for the platinum...

please...?

I think you can't. I couldn't find it again. You could replay missions in the first AC but I don't know if you can here.

ACE 1991

I'm undecided on which console to buy this game... On one hand I love my PS3 and prefer the controller but I hear that the 360 version is significantly superior to the ps3's.

Concept17

ACE 1991 said:
I'm undecided on which console to buy this game... On one hand I love my PS3 and prefer the controller but I hear that the 360 version is significantly superior to the ps3's.

Theres a little more tearing on the PS3. Thats about it. I've got about 26 hours on the version, and only in one place did it even slightly bother me.

ACE 1991

Concept17 said:
Theres a little more tearing on the PS3. Thats about it. I've got about 26 hours on the version, and only in one place did it even slightly bother me.

Right. I guess it's down to preference.

Top Bottom