• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I agree with that. I thought Forli looked pretty awesome due to the partial flooding and overall dismal look of the place. But the countryside regions of the other areas (especially outside the villa) look AWFUL.

Zeliard

What's the most effective way to find the glyphs for The Truth video? It might be a hassle for me since I'm a few missions into Venice and haven't done much with the glyphs - only got three of them so far, so I'm gonna have to go around everywhere to get the others.

bdouble

cjelly said:
Serious question:

As impressive as the Assassin's Creed engine is -- why do the Countryside locations look like utter dog shit?

Pop-up everywhere, terrible LOD issues, grass being drawn on the ground literally 2 feet in front of you, very flat lighting.

It's really annoying as the rest of the game looks pretty damn nice.
What? I find this in the whole game. I have shadows and textures popping in all over the place. I've pretty much decided I want to rebuy the game on PC once it hits. Its great but these things are pretty apparent.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hit up the maps and move towards the larger grey-shaded buildings. Those are landmarks.
Landmarks get entries in the database. Pull up the entry in the database, and if you see a red symbol, that means that there's a glyph or secret location (assassin tomb, templar lair) there. Once you've solved the glyph or completed the secret location, the red symbol will turn a light gray.

So basically, scour your locations sub-database and look for red symbols. If you're still missing some, then you might have missed some of these landmarks when exploring the game.

jett

D-Member
bdouble said:
What? I find this in the whole game. I have shadows and textures popping in all over the place. I've pretty much decided I want to rebuy the game on PC once it hits. Its great but these things are pretty apparent.

The technical hitches in the game are really quite awful. Unfortunately even the PC version of AC1 maxxed out still suffers from vegetation fade-in and agressive LOD for the shadows.

The countryside in AC2 really does look awful and barren even if you ignore all that, strangely AC1 is much better looking there.

LiK

Zeliard said:
What's the most effective way to find the glyphs for The Truth video? It might be a hassle for me since I'm a few missions into Venice and haven't done much with the glyphs - only got three of them so far, so I'm gonna have to go around everywhere to get the others.

use a video guide on youtube. if the game actually had the landmarks labelled in the in-game map, that would've made it easier.

jett said:
The technical hitches in the game are really quite awful. Unfortunately even the PC version of AC1 maxxed out still suffers from vegetation fade-in and agressive LOD for the shadows.

The countryside in AC2 really does look awful and barren even if you ignore all that, strangely AC1 is much better looking there.

i'm hoping the 3rd game gets a new engine cuz yea, lots of technical glitches or weird graphical issues.

MMaRsu

LiK said:
use a video guide on youtube. if the game actually had the landmarks labelled in the in-game map, that would've made it easier.

i'm hoping the 3rd game gets a new engine cuz yea, lots of technical glitches or weird graphical issues.

A new engine? Are you crazy.

They just need to upgrade it and finish all the small bugs and glitches. And LOD stuff.

Solo

MMaRsu said:
A new engine? Are you crazy.

They just need to upgrade it and finish all the small bugs and glitches. And LOD stuff.

Not to mention that a new engine would = no AC3 in 2011.

Solo

LiK said:
if it fixes all the techinical issues? sure, i can wait.
Well, I personally believe that by 2012, the next generation of consoles will be announced, and if AC3 were to be delayed for those, we could be looking at a 4-5 year break between 2 and 3. So Im more than happy to have 3 in 2011, on current consoles, with the same engine.

Zeliard

How can you guys seriously tell what The Truth video is from the first frame alone? Maybe it's because I only got about halfway through the first and am not all too up on Assassin's Creed overall story, but I can't see how.

Mejilan said:
Hit up the maps and move towards the larger grey-shaded buildings. Those are landmarks.
Landmarks get entries in the database. Pull up the entry in the database, and if you see a red symbol, that means that there's a glyph or secret location (assassin tomb, templar lair) there. Once you've solved the glyph or completed the secret location, the red symbol will turn a light gray.

So basically, scour your locations sub-database and look for red symbols. If you're still missing some, then you might have missed some of these landmarks when exploring the game.

Cool, thanks. Gonna check it out when I get home.

bumpkin

NinjaFridge said:
Just finished it. Badass ending, holy shit.
"Resquiat in pace, you bastard."
:D

I was a little perplexed when
given the opportunity, he didn't finally take Rodrigo's life. That he took the high road and acknowledged that killing him wouldn't bring his family back. But you know, I think the choice made the ending kind of sublime in a way. It really showed his strength of character.

I'm definitely looking forward to AC3... Hopefully by then I'll have stopped playing 2! I'm still scouring every city for all the treasures and trying to fill in all of the assassination/race/etc. sequences.

Red

Zeliard said:
How can you guys seriously tell what The Truth video is from the first frame alone? Maybe it's because I only got about halfway through the first and am not all too up on Assassin's Creed overall story, but I can't see how.
Honestly I sort of knew where the story was going about 3/4 of the way through the first game (because of the emails and other Abstergo-related teases). Of course I wasn't positive, but knowing the references to an
"apple" and "pieces of Eden"
from AC1's ending, and then seeing
a man and a woman in flesh colored clothes
... yeah. It was pretty obvious.

I don't think the story is terribly impressive, but the presentation is spot on. Soooo much of it is predictable, and I think the
First Civilization
stuff is kind of throwaway, but the historical references and the general mood of intrigue are so good.

LiK

Zeliard said:

actually, if you finished the first game, the twist that happens in AC1 makes it apparent what the Truth video is all about because of the
pieces of Eden stuff
. i knew what it was all about way before i finished AC2. but i do like that the Truth video had its own twist.

Zeliard

The temptation to highlight these types of spoilers is really awful. :lol

Thankfully I think I can hold myself back. Is The Truth vid still self-contained enough to make sense if I didn't finish the first game?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, I'm really enjoying this game. Venice took it to the next level for me, it's one of the best looking environments that I've seen and the music is so good. It's definitely a GOTY contender for me. I've played 14 hours and I still have so much to do.
<3

LiK

Zeliard said:
The temptation to highlight these types of spoilers is really awful. :lol

Thankfully I think I can hold myself back. Is The Truth vid still self-contained enough to make sense if I didn't finish the first game?

yea, pretty much. it stands on its own.

if you played AC1, the last boss fight in AC2 is
a nice callback with the multiple Ezios. so friggin' cool you get to use the same power Altair's mentor used against him.
. people who didn't finish AC1 wouldn't know about that. :)

and if you dont plan on finishing AC1, highlight the spoilers dude!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips on increasing the value of the villa? Got mine at 79%.

LiK

NinjaFridge said:

if you maxed out all building upgrades already, buy all paintings. get all armor and weapons. keep finding those feathers. they all add up.

Zeliard

LiK, I'll come back to those spoilers once I hunt down some glyphs. I don't even want to quote your posts because the spoilers become uncovered. :lol

And even if it is AC1 spoilers, if they have anything to do with the strange stuff that happens in AC2, then I don't want to know about them yet. :p

LiK

Zeliard said:
LiK, I'll come back to those spoilers once I hunt down some glyphs. I don't even want to quote your posts because the spoilers become uncovered. :lol

And even if it is AC1 spoilers, if they have anything to do with the strange stuff that happens in AC2, then I don't want to know about them yet. :p

cool, understood :)

NinjaFridge said:

I bought all the building upgrades, all the small weapons, all the armor, all the paintings, all the pouch upgrades, and maybe all weapons except 2 or 3 of the main weapons before i hit 80%.

Zeliard

LiK said:
cool, understood :)

I think so long as everything that happens in AC2 is explained in AC2 itself, then it's all good. I'm sure it ties back to tons of stuff from AC1, though. Makes me sort of regret not finishing it, especially since going to look up the ending in a wiki would be far less satisfying.

bdouble

NinjaFridge said:
Buy the shops first. Buy the weapons you want. At a certain point (for me right be fore venice) You pretty much make more than you will ever need.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I just noticed that two conspirators who share a few scenes together are named Silvo and Dante.

Sopranos reference, nice.

MMaRsu

Where the fuck are these last two codex pages man???? They aren't in Forli, Venice OR FLORENCE????? Well they aren't showing up on my map at least -_-. Although I haven't done all the viewpoints in Forli yet.. Would that make them show up?

MMaRsu said:
Where the fuck are these last two codex pages man???? They aren't in Forli, Venice OR FLORENCE????? Well they aren't showing up on my map at least -_-. Although I haven't done all the viewpoints in Forli yet.. Would that make them show up?

Yes sir.

sangreal

FYI, all the codex pages are revealed on the map even without the viewpoints if you don't collect them before the story requires so it isn't that important to try and get them early on

Red

Well, just got my 1000/1000. Found 98/100 feathers on my own and used a guide for the last two. Missed one
on a pole in the water at Venice
and one at the top of a
church in the Santa Maria Novella district of Florence.

Great. Game. Some frustrating moments with the finicky controls, but overall well worth it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
So if i want to replay a particular level after finshing the game, i have to start the game again?

Seriously?

NinjaFridge said:
So if i want to replay a particular level after finshing the game, i have to start the game again?

Seriously?

Can't you just replay any part of the game via the DNA section of the menu? I haven't actually tried it but I assumed that's what it was for.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just completed the story and I really enjoyed the ending. I'm really enjoying the story. I still need to go back and complete the glyphs for "the truth" and hunt for some other achievements, but I was very disappointed to discover that there is no option to replay specific memories. I am now screwed on getting the achievement for kicking a guard while on the flying machine unless I start up a new game and play to that point again.

My only real complaint with the game is how they did a terrible job at making it feel like 10 years were actually progressing as went through the various memory sequences. Seriously now, Ezio's mom was praying by the bed that whole time? Your sister was keeping records at that desk for 10 years straight? No one changed their clothes? Normally something like this wouldn't bother me in a video game, but they paid so much attention to detail in other parts of the game that this complete failure to give any sense of time passing throughout the game was really jarring for me.

I still really enjoyed the game and think it is one of the best this year. It is definitely in my top 3 or 4 and I am really looking forward to the next title in the series.

ElyrionX

The tombs were all pretty good though the last one was pretty fucking frustrating. The one set in the huge church that was being painted was epic.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ElyrionX said:
The tombs were all pretty good though the last one was pretty fucking frustrating. The one set in the huge church that was being painted was epic.

I really enjoyed all of the tombs. Which one was "the last one"? I don't think there was any particular order in which you needed to complete them.

Sai

Zefah said:
I really enjoyed all of the tombs. Which one was "the last one"? I don't think there was any particular order in which you needed to complete them.
I think he means the last tomb that's made available for you to explore. That would be the one with the
giant squid
--can't remember the name of the place.

[EDIT] - Sorry about the double post. :(

LiK

Zeliard said:
I think so long as everything that happens in AC2 is explained in AC2 itself, then it's all good. I'm sure it ties back to tons of stuff from AC1, though. Makes me sort of regret not finishing it, especially since going to look up the ending in a wiki would be far less satisfying.

i haven't checked, but i'm sure there are youtube videos of the playthrough for AC1 around. you might be able to enjoy the story sections of the game without having to play it. but i'll let you decide that once you finish AC2. i'm a fan of AC1 :)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I have just finished Memory 5 and I am really loving this one. It's a relief there are not constant interruptions from the Animus office like in AC1, so you can really just lose yourself in the game.

The tombs add a touch of Tomb Raider to the game, while maintaining the pace seen in games like Prince of Persia. I sorta wish they were more like the former than the latter, with a few more puzzles and such.

Really enjoying it, though, but I still find myself travelling about 99% of the time via roofs. :D

LiK

cjelly said:
I have just finished Memory 5 and I am really loving this one. It's a relief there are not constant interruptions from the Animus office like in AC1, so you can really just lose yourself in the game.

The tombs add a touch of Tomb Raider to the game, while maintaining the pace seen in games like Prince of Persia. I sorta wish they were more like the former than the latter, with a few more puzzles and such.

Really enjoying it, though, but I still find myself travelling about 99% of the time via roofs. :D

not only are those seal tomb locations fun but the music adds so much to the atmosphere. :D

Mana Sin

Doing double assassinations in this game is now deemed to be the forbidden fruit in my mind. So damn tempting to do, and the game teases you by giving you ample opportunities to do them but.. do it and your game will freeze. I just did it again. I knew what would happen, but the temptation was too great. /sob

Anyway, what method do you guys mostly use to climb? Straight climb upwards? Straight climb w/ Rosa jumps used to quicken the pace? or do you use the lesser mentioned skills to get up?

Top Bottom