• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Dave1988

Falt said:
Shameless.

I'm hoping these come out as free DLC.

How many preorder bonus maps are there?

Three maps: Santa Maria del Frari, Palazzo de Medici and the Shipyard.

And there's absolutely no chance it will come out as free DLC. This is Ubisoft we're talking about here, people. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Falt said:
How many preorder bonus maps are there?

There are currently four DLC maps.

1. uPlay, 40 points. (Auditore family crypt)
2. Gamestop pre-order (Palazzo de Medici)
3. ULTIMATE SUPER LIMITED EDITION PRE-ORDER (Santa Maria del Frari)
4. Best Buy pre-order (Shipyard Arsenal)

... Yes, the second/third are only available at Gamestop and the fourth only available at Best Buy.

Bliddo

Kuro Madoushi said:
I didn't look through the whole thread, but can someone comment on the Italian spoken in-game? Is it actually good?
I'm italian, the italian parts in the english voiceover are pretty bad, most of the accents are wrong, and the tone feels stereotypical, but it's still a pretty good job overall.

Nemesis_

Stumpokapow said:
There are currently four DLC maps.

1. uPlay, 40 points. (Auditore family crypt)
2. Gamestop pre-order (Palazzo de Medici)
3. ULTIMATE SUPER LIMITED EDITION PRE-ORDER (Santa Maria del Frari)
4. Best Buy pre-order (Shipyard Arsenal)

... Yes, the second/third are only available at Gamestop and the fourth only available at Best Buy.

I'm so happy that I got everything with my Black Edition. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be fair, Ubisoft has given away free stuff for their Tom Clancy games before... here's hoping they continue the tradition.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Merguson said:
Didn't someone from the Assassin's Creed 2 team say that the pre-order DLC would eventually become free someday?
Pretty sure they've put that stuff up in the past... I'm sure EndWar was the same.

T Ghost

Bliddo said:
I'm italian, the italian parts in the english voiceover are pretty bad, most of the accents are wrong, and the tone feels stereotypical, but it's still a pretty good job overall.
What about the italian voice overs?

That's what I'm playing on. Even that I don't speak Italian, I speak fluent Portuguese and Spanish and combined with the English subtitles I can understand 80% of the Italian V.O. I'm even learning a few words in Italian!

T Ghost

matrix-cat said:
Ah, I was feeling all impressed with myself until you brought that part up; I must have blocked it from my memory :lol That one in the Basilica San Marco (I think) where you had to do four different puzzles in time limits with no checkpoints in between was a royal bitch. I was thinking more along the lines of the main game, there was no really challenging fight or mission that stood out as being more difficult than the rest. The most trouble I had was when there were a few Big Heavies and Pokey Spear guys fighting you at once, because those suckers just don't go down.

Big Heavies are the easiest ones to beat. You got to disarm them and kill them with their own weapon on 2 blows only. In a group you should deal with the biggies first, lure them by hitting them once, getting little distance and taunting. Remember that to disarm you have to fight without a weapon, bare fists.

MMaRsu

T Ghost said:
What about the italian voice overs?

That's what I'm playing on. Even that I don't speak Italian, I speak fluent Portuguese and Spanish and combined with the English subtitles I can understand 80% of the Italian V.O. I'm even learning a few words in Italian!

You're not supposed to be up here stronzo!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The special DLC Templar Lairs definitely count towards the sync %.
I preordered the Limited Edition version from a U.S. Gamestop, and downloaded the UPlay map.

I finished EVERYTHING that can be done in this game except for the Secret Location reserved for the Shipyard map (BB only), and have a 99.2% sync rate. The only thing missing in my DNA schematic is the Shipyard. Everything else is done, including the Platinum trophy.

I would HOPE that the Templar Lairs will become free DLC within a few weeks/months, as we already know that Memory Sequences 12 and 13 are coming as paid DLC in January and February of 2010.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bliddo said:

yeah it did seem kinda stereotypical. But since I don't speak a lick, I can't tell.

One thing I don't agree with, and Inglourious Basterds did this too, was include unnecessary subtitles. Example in AC2 They say "nonsense" in Italian, and then repeat it in English...wtf?!

I did what that poster suggested and turned on the Italian subtitles. It takes getting used to, but I like how it adds to the overall feel. Now, instead of people speaking Eng in an Italian accent, they just speak Italian.

Fusebox

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
I did what that poster suggested and turned on the Italian subtitles. It takes getting used to, but I like how it adds to the overall feel. Now, instead of people speaking Eng in an Italian accent, they just speak Italian.

Lol, that'd be bizarre.

I'm not convinced that blending the English speech with all the Italian words was such a good idea. I played the first few minutes with no subs until I realised I was missing key dialogue, now I have to play the entire game with subs which detracts from the cut-scenes for me.

T Ghost

Fusebox said:
Lol, that'd be bizarre.

I'm not convinced that blending the English speech with all the Italian words was such a good idea. I played the first few minutes with no subs until I realised I was missing key dialogue, now I have to play the entire game with subs which detracts from the cut-scenes for me.
I think he meant the opposite, to set the VO for Italian and subtitles in english that is what I sugested a few posts above.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on a patch to allow story mission replay yet?

border

I rented AC2 and just finished the main campaign today. Is there anything else I should check out? I skipped all the races, beat-em-ups, courier missions and assassination sidequests....are they any good or just more of the same?

I'm kind of torn about AC2 in general because in so many ways it is superior to the original -- yet rarely is there any challenge or tension like in the AC1. It also seems like most of the assassination missions are set up so that you can't really get a perfect stealth kill.....target NPCs are always in Restricted Areas and surrounded by guards, so that there's nothing you can do but set off an alarm and kill them as quickly as possible. IIRC the AC1 actually had an Achievement for a perfect assassination (kill target without alerting any guards whatsoever), but they didn't even bother with it in AC2.

The story also seemed like a lot of gibberish.....though maybe that's just because there are a bunch of hard-to-follow Italian names and I generally don't take much interest in story. Alls I know is that there were some bad guys fucking up things in Italy and I had to kill them, and somehow take revenge on a dude that killed my family. Of course I had the opportunity to kill the evil Borgia dude many times, but for some reason never did until the end of the game.

conman

border said:
I rented AC2 and just finished the main campaign today. Is there anything else I should check out? I skipped all the races, beat-em-ups, courier missions and assassination sidequests....are they any good or just more of the same?
Assassination sidequests are better than the main story assassinations. They let you be much more creative and deliberate in your approach. Definitely worth doing.

You could do without the beat up missions, but the courier missions have some nice story content in the letters. Also, if you didn't collect all the glyphs, those are an absolute must.

As for your complaints about the story, I think I see where you're coming from (though I'm not finished with the game). The story's much less finely wrought compared to the first game. It's a bit messier, more poorly paced, and more convoluted than it needs to be. And as many of us have already said in this thread, this game misses the great story arcs of the first game. The first game was able to build tension, build to a climax, and release tension in each of the assassinations since they were more like complete chapters.

In contrast, AC2 is more meandering (kill this guy, go here, kill this other guy, go here, go here, do this, kill this guy, etc). The lack of story structure makes it much more like GTAIV. I may be in the minority around here, but playing this game really makes me miss the first one.

border

conman said:
Assassination sidequests are better than the main story assassinations. They let you be much more creative and deliberate in your approach. Definitely worth doing.

My rental is already overdue, but I'll give the assassination missions a try.

Also, if you didn't collect all the glyphs, those are an absolute must.

What makes glyph collection a must? My impression was that they merely add to the story, but the story is already so batshit crazy and incomprehensible I doubt it'd do more than muddle things further.

I may be in the minority around here, but playing this game really makes me miss the first one.

I feel the same way sometimes, but I also think that's because you're remembering all the good things about AC1 and forgetting all the bad. I don't see how AC2 is any more meandering, considering that AC1 actually forced to to complete a bunch of those meaningless side missions just to actually advance the main story.

Troidal

I'm only halfway through Sequence 5 and I feel that way. The game ultimately still feels repetitious, they just got slightly better in the story-telling where it wasn't always about doing the investigations and then carrying out an assassination. Unless there is something far more compelling down the line (a plot twist or two even would do), I feel like I'm going to be exhausted with the game before I complete it. I put a lot of time in AC1 so AC2 can get old faster for me.

simtmb

Troidal said:
I'm only halfway through Sequence 5 and I feel that way. The game ultimately still feels repetitious, they just got slightly better in the story-telling where it wasn't always about doing the investigations and then carrying out an assassination. Unless there is something far more compelling down the line (a plot twist or two even would do), I feel like I'm going to be exhausted with the game before I complete it. I put a lot of time in AC1 so AC2 can get old faster for me.

Yep, exactly how i feel. At the moment, I'm doing about 20-40mins per day, just to prevent myself from completely dropping the title. Story is delivered and executed far better than AC1, though i don't think I'm blind, but i see nothing that i could attribute to being "immensely improved" from the original. As expected of a sequel, the execution of everything is far better, though the core foundation, to the very feel of completing tasks, and how they're handled feel much in the same way.

The main problem i see with this series, is that to truly immerse yourself and get the most out of it, it'd be necessarily to force yourself into playing the game how you see it should be played. Such as ignoring the pathetic AI and performing tasks in a way which doesn't always come down to a 'sense of disbelief' and lack of immersion.

But with all that said though, similar to AC1, i absolute love it. Fascinating game world.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game is fantastic as far as I'm concerned, aside from the combat getting repetitive and some frustration with the controls I've been really enjoying it.

Something amusing to do: poison a group of guards in a crowded area, throw coins towards them and watch as they belligerently swing their weapons around and take out at least a dozen civilians, it's some funny shit.

God damn, if you are OCD like me this game is looooong. I have one more assasination left, but I'm really at the point where I want it to end. It's a great game, one of the best of the year IMO, but there's almost too much stuff to do. Venice is almost as long as most reatail games. The glyph puzzles, assasination side contracts, villa, paintings and tombs are great, but stuff like the treasure chests seem pointless. You max out the Villa way too soon IMO.

While there is variety it does get repetitive by games end and, honestly, AC1 felt a little more focused and cohesive.
Sadly, as I near the end, the game has left more questions than answers. The story starts off strong but the last half just seems to drag. I honestly don't remember why I was supposed to assasinate half the people I did in Venice. Also, I actually miss Desmond parts. It was a nice break in the action in AC1.

Also to add to my last post, I fucking hate the crate carrying dudes. It's like they are magnetically attracted to me. Why is it I can shoulder block a bard and no one cares, but if some asshole carrying a crate bumps into me the entire city garrison is on me like I shanked a pregnant woman?

On a more important note, I feel they missed a lot of opportunities with the story. Mario virtually vanishes later in the game, there's a romance subplot that is barely explored late game, the glyph truth was not a great payoff, as was deciphering the codex wall, a severe lack of Desmond to give context to the other story going on and the vengence plot line is largely muted and unfullfilling since the conspiracy isn't revealed till late game and a lot of the story is hahazardly pieced together.

These are all nitpicks to a stellar game, though.

conman

GillianSeed79 said:
God damn, if you are OCD like me this game is looooong.
Yup. I've been collecting and buying everything as I go. I'm at about 25 hours and I'm still working on getting all the chests in Forli. Then it's on to Venice...

While there is variety it does get repetitive by games end and, honestly, AC1 felt a little more focused and cohesive.
Totally. Each assassination was its own sub-plot with its own beginning, middle, and end. The Desmond sections were a nice break in the action and emphasized the "chapter" change. There's no such break in the action in AC2. It's just go, go, go. That's poor plotting IMO. I love so much about the game, but they really dropped the ball in figuring out how to structure the story. More than anything else, that's what makes AC2 inferior to AC1.

So far, the most egregious pacing problem was the sudden jump from Forli to Venice. You blast through Forli with absolutely no pause and almost no story missions. Seems like they cut a bunch in that section (presumably ended up as the forthcoming Forli DLC pack). But the story's already so patched together and sloppy that you almost don't notice.

daw840

conman said:
Yup. I've been collecting and buying everything as I go. I'm at about 25 hours and I'm still working on getting all the chests in Forli. Then it's on to Venice...

Totally. Each assassination was its own sub-plot with its own beginning, middle, and end. The Desmond sections were a nice break in the action and emphasized the "chapter" change. There's no such break in the action in AC2. It's just go, go, go. That's poor plotting IMO. I love so much about the game, but they really dropped the ball in figuring out how to structure the story. More than anything else, that's what makes AC2 inferior to AC1.

So far, the most egregious pacing problem was the sudden jump from Forli to Venice. You blast through Forli with absolutely no pause and almost no story missions. Seems like they cut a bunch in that section (presumably ended up as the forthcoming Forli DLC pack). But the story's already so patched together and sloppy that you almost don't notice.

You know what? I just noticed that now that I am at the part where
you HAVE to have all 30 codex pages to advance
and I realized that I didn't do hardly ANYTHING in that city. What the hell? It's like they designed that entire city just for the side missions. Another thing that I am pissed about is not getting an
achievement for getting all the view points. WTF.

Animal

Banned
I'm enjoying this game so much!

The interior design of the buildings is spot on and reminds me alot of the castles and palaces I visited in Europe this summer. The landscapes outside villas are spot on. I really feel like I'm where they say I am. Ubi Montreal did an amazing job in this respect.

I'm playing very slowly and savoring everything I do and everywhere I go. The amount of detail in this game is jaw dropping. This game has a very strong feeling of discovery and rewards adventurism perfectly. I'm very happy about this.

There is also this random theif? that only shows up at night on Florence and he's very fast and hard to catch. He doesn't show up on my radar as a thief though. Can't wait to catch him and find out what all that is about.

I just finished upgrading my villa completely and now its time to upgrade my armor/weapons/skills. I just got my poison blades from Leonardo. I'm now on my way to Tuscany for the second time for my next "Memory Start".

Truant

Venice is so much more interesting to look at and exlore than the other cities. Seems like this was the main focus. So much detail.

Zutroy

I bought Assassins Creed II today, so came home and forced myself to finish the end of the first game. Turns out I was just at the last big misssion anyway. Looking forward to the second one, I've heard nothing but praise to far about it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bliddo said:

the italian-english voice over is so bad I ended up playing the whole game in italian.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
TTP said:
the italian-english voice over is so bad I ended up playing the whole game in italian.

I'm surprised you of all people managed to play it considering the terrible tearing.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Now that my finals are over, I can finally start digging into AC2 :D. From what I hear it's a massive improvement.

conman

CRD90 said:
Looking forward to the second one, I've heard nothing but praise to far about it.
To sully your unstained ears, check a few posts above yours to see at least one criticism: the pacing of the story is pretty jacked up.

I know it's tough to tell a well-paced story in an open-world game, but the first one did such a good job of setting a good pace that AC2 feels choppy and haphazard by comparison (storywise). Otherwise, yes, it's a brilliant game!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mejilan said:
I preordered the Limited Edition version from a U.S. Gamestop, and downloaded the UPlay map.

I finished EVERYTHING that can be done in this game except for the Secret Location reserved for the Shipyard map (BB only), and have a 99.2% sync rate. The only thing missing in my DNA schematic is the Shipyard. Everything else is done, including the Platinum trophy.

I would HOPE that the Templar Lairs will become free DLC within a few weeks/months, as we already know that Memory Sequences 12 and 13 are coming as paid DLC in January and February of 2010.

I noticed my Dragon Age: Origins free DLC codes expire in May or June (which'd be ~6 months from release). That's around when I'd expect the game goes out of print and the market from then on is mostly channel clearing or used stuff.

Not that you can compare Ubisoft and EA because both hate you in different and subtle ways, but my instinct would be that nothing will become free and open until there's literally no incentive to keep it limited. I'd expect that to be next summer.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm...just finished the story today

Granted, I still have assassinations and couriers and beat up ems and stuff to do, but I felt I got fair value for my money.

The ending...is...unsatisfying and felt really rushed. Perhaps it's a trend with Ubisoft games? Maybe there'll be a 'real' ending DLC or something a la PoP?

Edit: D'OH! Yeah, I meant I turned on the Italian VO with Eng Subs.

bumpkin

Mejilan said:

I'm at the same percentage and was confounded as to what I could possibly have missed. I did every last quest, got every treasure, even bribed all bards when I thought they counted.

Top Bottom