• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

acevans2

I've just finished collecting all of the feathers, and I have to say that was no fun at all. Just a chore. Since Infamous gave me the ability to pulse the map and see the general area (not the elevation), I was just aggravated hunting for these feathers, and just turned to a guide after about 40 of them.

My idea for making hunting feathers in this game more fun would be to make each feather visible from the last one. You would get one and then look way down the street and in all directions to see if you could spot the next one if you wanted to keep going. And this wouldn't mean they all have to be really close by--- Assassin's Creed has amazing draw distance, so they could have one on a high point and the next on a high point really far away.

I'd like that, anyway. Didn't have any fun collecting them in this game.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
acevans2 said:
I've just finished collecting all of the feathers, and I have to say that was no fun at all. Just a chore. Since Infamous gave me the ability to pulse the map and see the general area (not the elevation), I was just aggravated hunting for these feathers, and just turned to a guide after about 40 of them.

My idea for making hunting feathers in this game more fun would be to make each feather visible from the last one. You would get one and then look way down the street and in all directions to see if you could spot the next one if you wanted to keep going. And this wouldn't mean they all have to be really close by--- Assassin's Creed has amazing draw distance, so they could have one on a high point and the next on a high point really far away.

Crackdown did this very well with the agility orbs. Whenever you collected one, there was always another one right around the corner, usually two or three at a time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
acevans2 said:

You know what would be awesome for AC?

If you could use the fucking eagle!

Every assassin's should have a trained eagle. Eagle Vision could be related to the vision of the eagle (a bit like the crow in The Crow); when you use eagle vision you see a bird's eye view of the area with the usual eagle vision special effect view. You could also use him to help you spot feathers, or anything else really.

It could have cool gameplay implications too, like him bothering enemies during a fight, him catching something for you, him guiding you as you follow someone in case you lose sight of your target, etc.

I think a bird companion would be great:)

conman

Ether_Snake said:
Every assassin's should have a trained eagle. Eagle Vision could be related to the vision of the eagle (a bit like the crow in The Crow); when you use eagle vision you see a bird's eye view of the area with the usual eagle vision special effect view. You could also use him to help you spot feathers, or anything else really.
Oh, Beastmaster. What a cinematic classic!

Seriously, though, that's a great idea. Good replacement for all the map nonsense.

Ether_Snake said:
You know what would be awesome for AC?

If you could use the fucking eagle!

It could have cool gameplay implications too, like him bothering enemies during a fight, him catching something for you, him guiding you as you follow someone in case you lose sight of your target, etc.

I think a bird companion would be great:)

And a second player can play as the bird, of course

8_eyes_front.jpg

Just finished the game tonight. In all my playtime was about 35 hours. It's definately a great value since it's near RPG length.

I disagree about the ending. Compared to AC1 it was a million times better, though the last boss was pretty weak.

Going forward, what are they going to do to make Desmond more cool for players? I like his character, but he was people's biggest complaint from the first game. The weird thing is he's clearly the main character in the overall story arc. I think in the next one I think it would be cool to experience multiple ancestors via the animus mixed in with modern day world spanning Desmond missions. I won't spoil it but you are told at the end of the game to find certain things. It'd be cool if you played a different ancestor in a different time period and different area of the world to find out the secret of each location then had Desmond go there in modern day to find them. Just an idea. Also, aside from some nitpicking. this was one of the best games of the year IMO.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Hmm, I've been playing all day and the game hasn't asked me to update. I just loaded it up again and nothing. Weird.

Patch comes out right as I got my platinum (1st ever, I might add). Having to deal with smoke/double hidden blade crashes didn't make it easy.

Mindlog

GillianSeed79 said:
Just finished the game tonight. In all my playtime was about 35 hours. It's definately a great value since it's near RPG length.

I disagree about the ending. Compared to AC1 it was a million times better, though the last boss was pretty weak.

Going forward, what are they going to do to make Desmond more cool for players? I like his character, but he was people's biggest complaint from the first game. The weird thing is he's clearly the main character in the overall story arc. I think in the next one I think it would be cool to experience multiple ancestors via the animus mixed in with modern day world spanning Desmond missions. I won't spoil it but you are told at the end of the game to find certain things. It'd be cool if you played a different ancestor in a different time period and different area of the world to find out the secret of each location then had Desmond go there in modern day to find them. Just an idea. Also, aside from some nitpicking. this was one of the best games of the year IMO.

Easy, they're going to reveal his full name as Desmond Mile Bourne.

Splinter Cell will also be integrated with the AC universe.

and Far Cry

and Prince of Persia

I don't know where I am going with this, but I just found the last feather. sort of worth it
I also just started playing Batman: AA. Batman has some great combat.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?

oki I just borrowed this game from my mate and popped it in, what do I see? EVERYTHING is in my fucking native language, ( swedish ) ,menus, UI, missionbriefings and shit....

please please please tell me how to change this, because I looked everywhere in the options but I didnt find shit. I really need to change this to english asap :( HALP

edit : phew thank god, I could change it in the 360s system settings, as soon as I saw the words " Berättelse " and ingame missionname " Skärmytsling" I wanted to pour sulfuric acid down my peehole

MMaRsu

Corky said:
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?

oki I just borrowed this game from my mate and popped it in, what do I see? EVERYTHING is in my fucking native language, ( swedish ) ,menus, UI, missionbriefings and shit....

please please please tell me how to change this, because I looked everywhere in the options but I didnt find shit. I really need to change this to english asap :( HALP

edit : phew thank god, I could change it in the 360s system settings, as soon as I saw the words " Berättelse " and ingame missionname " Skärmytsling" I wanted to pour sulfuric acid down my peehole

:lol :lol

klier

Maybe USA members get the download patch a little after EU members (me) this time???

Can anyone confirm that the game runs better now? Or is it still just me who thinks so?

K' Dash

Maybe this has been asked, but I can't download shit from uplay (IP restriction I think) I tried with the theme and nothing, please tell me the Auditore Cript is just unlocked from the disc and not downloaded :(

Is there any solution for this?

Althoran

EU PS3 here and patch DL just came up yesterday evening.
I don't really notice any difference in tearing though.

Almost up to 30 hours now and Venice is great. Feathers will probably be done by a guide because I have 50 now but it's going to be hell to find all of them.

How do you get trophy Messer Sandman? I can't get four guards close enough to throw sand at all of them.

glaurung

Althoran said:
How do you get trophy Messer Sandman? I can't get four guards close enough to throw sand at all of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLU-IxH0NCI

OK the video is not the best out there, but you get the idea.

I did my trophy for sandman in Florence, got some dudes into a narrow alley and kept trying until it succeeded.

There is probably also a cheat way for this:
  1. Get the guards into a narrow space (preferably more than just 4).
  2. Drop a smoke bomb to stun them.
  3. Tap down on the d-pad to enter unarmed combat.
  4. Hold down square to charge the sand throw. The longer you keep it pressed the greater the range is.
  5. The moment the guards recover from the stun, let it rip.

Ranger X

Corky said:
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?

Please God put your freaking 360 in English forever so you never do that to your pee-pee.

ACE 1991

Before starting ACII I want to watch all three parts of the lineage mini series. Is there any place I can dl all three parts in 720p?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a download link.

Has gaf watched the movie?

kikanny

ACE 1991 said:
Before starting ACII I want to watch all three parts of the lineage mini series. Is there any place I can dl all three parts in 720p?

No. GAF is too busy splooging over Dudebro.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I disliked the first game a lot due to the repetitive nature of it, and while the second one seems a lot more promising it's not off to a good start :lol

Already it seems like I gotta reset the game -- the race against Federico won't start. He just stands and does nothing and I can't talk to him either.

And what's the deal with just showering the player in achievements from the start when you really haven't done anything yet?

Red

SuperSonic1305 said:
Did anyone else almost never use poison? I just used it for the trophy.
I used it all the time, especially for assassination sidequests. It's an instant kill and you can't be detected when using it. It's very nice.

Huggy

Crunched said:
I used it all the time, especially for assassination sidequests. It's an instant kill and you can't be detected when using it. It's very nice.

Plus it makes those bards entertaining. Especially when a crowd gathers, making the guy look centuries ahead of time when it comes to expressionism.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
ACE 1991 said:

Yeah, watched it on youtube. Thought it was pretty good actually.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Whoa, just beat game. That was.....interesting.

Glad to see Desmond started kicking some ass during the credits

Goddamn it I just keep harping about this and I'm sorry, but I have the PS3 patch and THE GAME STILL FREEZES WHEN I DOUBLE BLADE MORE THAN 4 GUYS. This is completely unacceptable. What the FUCK, Ubi?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pankaks said:
Whoa, just beat game. That was.....interesting.

Glad to see Desmond started kicking some ass during the credits

That was really cool. The ending was pretty cool, but
like AC1 it was too abrupt. It was funny, because I actually said the exact same words as Desmond when the credits hit. "What. The. Fuck." It's not that it was bad, but I just hate knowing that I have to wait 2 fuckin years to know what happens next. It was mostly redeemed by badass Desmond, though.

Overall, it was a fantastic game. I loved it, definitely in my top 3 GOTY's.

Misc. thoughts so far (up to Sequence 7 I think):

I like how for some of the really tall Viewpoints, they've added sort-of maze elements where you can't just climb straight up but have to look around and figure out the path to take.

Go to fucking hell you goddamn minstrels. They took the worst thing in AC1 (beggars) and made them even worse and more commonplace, what the fuck?

I don't really understand the purpose of the pickpockets who always seem to be running straight for you and then after 5 seconds around you run away screaming. Why are they even there? Sure you get money for killing them, but it's so easy to do and they appear so frequently, it feels like a half-cooked concept that should have been more challenging.

Double assassinations with 2 hidden blades are the most awesome thing ever--when they work. Seems like no matter how much I try to get dead-center between them it doesn't always work.

I may be one of the only ones who think this, but I actually miss the structure of being let out of the Animus each chapter to run around in the "real" world. They created this really detailed room and even some new characters for the frame story, but spend almost no time there. I assume it'll get some more prominence by the end, but still.

I want a whole game out of the glyphs. Figuring out the puzzles and decoding the hidden messages are probably my favorite parts so far (even if I just Google for a translator for whatever the code is).

While I'm loving the game and the huge improvements so far, the story is getting kind of muddled (but again I'm only halfway through). It started really interesting and I sympathized with Ezio, but then it devolves into "These guys are part of the conspiracy--go kill them." The various villains all just blend into one another (which was definitely not the case in AC1) and I didn't really understand why I kept moving from city to city.

Althoran

glaurung said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLU-IxH0NCI

OK the video is not the best out there, but you get the idea.

I did my trophy for sandman in Florence, got some dudes into a narrow alley and kept trying until it succeeded.

There is probably also a cheat way for this:
  1. Get the guards into a narrow space (preferably more than just 4).
  2. Drop a smoke bomb to stun them.
  3. Tap down on the d-pad to enter unarmed combat.
  4. Hold down square to charge the sand throw. The longer you keep it pressed the greater the range is.
  5. The moment the guards recover from the stun, let it rip.

Thanks Glaurung. Will try this tonight. Yesterday was featherhunting, so annoying to get the last few feathers of an area.

antispin

Assassin's Creed II [Review]

When you start Assassin’s Creed II (AC2), one of the messages that flashes by, goes something like this: “we, the developers, have based this game on real-world events and histories and would like to tell you that we belong to, and subscribe to, a varied mix of faiths and beliefs” – the implied subtext being: “so don’t hurt us please”.

Rarely does one play a game that crosses so many lines brazenly and with aplomb: AC2 questions morality, authority, religion, science, our history, our place in the universe, and expertly weaves a tapestry of conspiracy so vast, intricate and complex – connecting everyone from Eve to Jesus, Hitler to Gandhi – that by the time the game is done, only three words come to mind: What. The. F*ck.

WTF did I just play? And: OMG, mind blown.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SuperSonic1305 said:
Did anyone else almost never use poison? I just used it for the trophy.

Poison a guard (especially a brute or one with a long spear) and then throw money around him. The carnage is glorious.

faceless007 said:
Go to fucking hell you goddamn minstrels. They took the worst thing in AC1 (beggars) and made them even worse and more commonplace, what the fuck?

Just press A real briefly to start jogging and you'll bump them, they drop their lute and fuck off. Doesn't attract attention either.

Ashram

Neo Member
klier said:
Can anyone confirm that the game runs better now? Or is it still just me who thinks so?
Installed the patch yesterday and after about 15 minutes of play, the game crashed twice on me. The first time I was jumping from one roof to the roof of a church and went right through it. Ended up inside the church and couldn't do anything.

After a restart I started to climb a building and the moment I was hoisting myself up on the roof, Ezio was launched like a rocket into the air and died when he landed :lol .

After another restart I didn't have any problems anymore.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sequence 8 was just insane. excellent top to bottom.

they seem to have applied the "motown philly theory of game difficulty" to the development of AC2: not too hard, not too soft. i'm never frustrated by what i'm trying to do, but i feel paradoxically challenged by it; this could be because they make you such a capable freerunner and assassin. it's a very impressive balancing act.

glaurung

faceless007 said:
Go to fucking hell you goddamn minstrels.
I used to drop money to distract the minstrels, but once I got the Medici cape, I simply punched them in the face any time they got up to me.

So satisfying.

daw840

Well, I just finished the game and let me tell you this was a great ride. I still have to go mop up some side missions, chests, feathers, etc, but that really shouldn't take too long. I really loved this game, not to say it didn't have it's flaws, but overall it was great. The ending definitely felt a little rushed and out there.
Really? I have to beat the popes ass over and over again? I already stabbed him in his gut, and now he is back to full strength? Then I have to fight him along with a shit ton of extra guards? Ok. What the fuck? He STILL isn't dead? Now I have to fight bare handed? Ok, whatever. It was way too easy imo, with the hand to hand all I did was hit X and counter every time he swung. Then the long drawn out scenes with the magic "gods?" That was a little weird.
The one problem that everyone here seems to be complaining about is the lockups. I never had even one instance of a lock, and I have just over 30 hours into the game. On the 360 here, I don't know if that was the offending system, but for whatever my anecdotal evidence is worth there it is.

Struct09

faceless007 said:
Double assassinations with 2 hidden blades are the most awesome thing ever--when they work. Seems like no matter how much I try to get dead-center between them it doesn't always work.

I feel the opposite, I was surprised how easy they were to pull off. There were definitely times I accidentally double assassinated (which was always an awesome surprise), but I don't think there were any times where I couldn't pull it off if I wanted.

Massa

daw840 said:
Well, I just finished the game and let me tell you this was a great ride. I still have to go mop up some side missions, chests, feathers, etc, but that really shouldn't take too long. I really loved this game, not to say it didn't have it's flaws, but overall it was great. The ending definitely felt a little rushed and out there.
Really? I have to beat the popes ass over and over again? I already stabbed him in his gut, and now he is back to full strength? Then I have to fight him along with a shit ton of extra guards? Ok. What the fuck? He STILL isn't dead? Now I have to fight bare handed? Ok, whatever. It was way too easy imo, with the hand to hand all I did was hit X and counter every time he swung. Then the long drawn out scenes with the magic "gods?" That was a little weird.
The one problem that everyone here seems to be complaining about is the lockups. I never had even one instance of a lock, and I have just over 30 hours into the game. On the 360 here, I don't know if that was the offending system, but for whatever my anecdotal evidence is worth there it is.

Did you complete all 6 tomb missions?

K' Dash

My new Elite Holiday Bundle just locked up playing this. I was afraid of turning on and off the console and see the RROD, but fortunately reading trough this thread I found out that some people had the same problem.

My God, I was ready to hammer this thing on the floor :lol

Top Bottom