• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Everything past
the Carnevale
mission felt unpolished and really dull.
It's as if they had to rush the last few parts of the game.

I'm not talking about the story and animations, but the mission structure.

Great game though and much, MUCH better than the first one.

conman

theMrCravens said:
Everything past
the Carnevale
mission felt unpolished and really dull.
It's as if they had to rush the last few parts of the game.

I'm not talking about the story and animations, but the mission structure.
IMO most of the Ezio storyline is unpolished and sloppy. There are a few sections that have some sense of plot structure, but mostly it's just a bunch of plot meandering. Very rarely do you get any sense of the character of your targets, what they're doing that earns them their death, what the big political picture is, etc. There are a few places where it comes together (for example, very early on in the game and the first major Venice target), but mostly it's just a bunch of very tenuously connected dots.

I understand that they wanted to get the story out of the way since I think it was a big complaint people had about the first game, but there's really nothing to hold onto in AC2. I've been playing for over 25 hours and I couldn't tell you what's happening in Ezio's plotline. Just a bunch of people scheming to oust the Medici family? And the Templar v. Assassin plot is pretty much nonexistent. Just doesn't have the strength and tightness and polish of the first game's storyline.

Still haven't finished (since I'm really enjoying taking my time with all the brilliant side missions and collection tasks), but the closer I get to the end, the less I'm seeing any real "plot" going on.

jett

D-Member
IronFistedChampion said:
How do you pick up a fallen enemy's weapon? Also, I can't seem to counter enemies using weapons with my bare fists. Is it supposed to be like this?

Thanks.

Select fisticuffs by pressing down on the d-pad, then pick up the weapon with the grab/open-hand button. Have you already gone through the in-game tutorial in how to counter enemies with your bare hands? You can't until you do.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I never had one lock-up, and I got all the achievements and maxed out the Villa.

Diablos

I want AC2, but I don't know which one :\ halp guys!

On Xbox 360 the textures seem a bit sharper, shading is a little different... don't know if it's necessarily better or worse. Some things look too dark (i.e. skin tone in certain scenes), other things appear to be more realistic in that regard. The framerate also seems a little better, and much less tearing.

PS3 on the other hand has much better lighting, especially during night scenes. The overall look is much smoother, but texture detail isn't quite as sharp. There also seems to be a lot of tearing -- some sites report as much as 3x the amount of the 360 version, which is gross.

Blah I don't know which one to buy.

conman

Diablos said:
It's been said a bunch already in this thread, but here goes again: 360 version performs marginally better. If you're sensitive to screen tearing (and you know if you are), you might be annoyed by the PS3 version.

Also, there's an in-game gamma slider, so you don't really need to worry about brightness issues on either version. Though I have noticed that on some of the later cut-scenes, the gamma adjustment doesn't seem to apply, so some cut-scenes are way too dark (but I think this applies equally to both versions).

Generally speaking, the differences are about what they were for GTAIV. PS3 uses more filtering effects that can make the lighting look nicer but has noticeable tearing and occasional framerate dips, and the 360 has sharper texture details/resolution and smoother overall performance (though still with some tearing and drops in framerate).

HooYaH

conman said:
It's been said a bunch already in this thread, but here goes again: 360 version performs marginally better. If you're sensitive to screen tearing (and you know if you are), you might be annoyed by the PS3 version.

Also, there's an in-game gamma slider, so you don't really need to worry about brightness issues on either version. Though I have noticed that on some of the later cut-scenes, the gamma adjustment doesn't seem to apply, so some cut-scenes are way too dark (but I think this applies equally to both versions).

Generally speaking, the differences are about what they were for GTAIV. PS3 uses more filtering effects that can make the lighting look nicer but has noticeable tearing and occasional framerate dips, and the 360 has sharper texture details/resolution and smoother overall performance (though still with some tearing and drops in framerate).

And the PC version is the superior one but you have to wait 4 more months.

NIGHT-

Diablos said:

On Xbox 360 the textures seem a bit sharper, shading is a little different... don't know if it's necessarily better or worse. Some things look too dark (i.e. skin tone in certain scenes), other things appear to be more realistic in that regard. The framerate also seems a little better, and much less tearing.

PS3 on the other hand has much better lighting, especially during night scenes. The overall look is much smoother, but texture detail isn't quite as sharp. There also seems to be a lot of tearing -- some sites report as much as 3x the amount of the 360 version, which is gross.

Blah I don't know which one to buy.

360 version.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the 360 version is the one to get if you're unwilling to wait for the PC version

So yeah, I bought this and am finally getting around to playing it and....

Am I the only who HATES the controls? I dunno, I tolerated them more back with AC1, but now they're just torture =(

It's actually preventing me from wanting to play.

conman

AgentOtaku said:
Am I the only who HATES the controls? I dunno, I tolerated them more back with AC1, but now they're just torture =(
I've been seeing this comment a lot in this thread. I don't have a problem with the controls, but I do recognize their limitations.

I think what happened is that the original game was much slower paced and traversal was much more point-to-point, so the core traversal system worked great. But AC2 has a lot more fast-paced sequences and missions/tasks that expect you to be able to navigate quickly and turn on a dime. The controls just weren't designed to handle that stuff. IMO the controls work, but you can feel them creaking under the added pressure.

Doodis

AgentOtaku said:
So yeah, I bought this and am finally getting around to playing it and....

It's actually preventing me from wanting to play.
I loved the game but there were many times that I wanted to throw my controller because I was trying to get Ezio to do one thing and he felt like doing another. Most occasions involved jumping from the side of a building when I was trying to maneuver right or left. But I still loved the game.

Irish

Biggest thing I've noticed when people complain about the controls is that they are holding down the "Legs" button while sprinting. This can lead to numerous, frustrating misjumps. You should let go of it every now and then, while keeping the "High Profile" button down. You don't even need to keep the "High Profile" button down while climbing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love the controls. They're essentially the Prince of Persia Trilogy controls but taken to the next level. I can't praise them enough, I wish more devs would nick them.

Domino Theory said:
Need some help on one viewpoint that's in the middle of Venice. I can't seem to get half way up no matter what. :(
do you have the jump while climbing ability yet? you learn it during a Venetian mission.

Domino Theory said:
Need some help on one viewpoint that's in the middle of Venice. I can't seem to get half way up no matter what. :(

Progress through the story. You'll learn a new ability that will enable you to climb to the top.

Edit: Probably should have refreshed before posting.

Diablos

Kuro Madoushi said:
I got the PS3 ver and still think the 360 looks better.

33yky2u.jpg

Even now?

Argh, I would much rather play it for PS3 as I have extremely limited drive space on my 360.

I finished ACII 2 days ago with a full 1000/1000 gamerscore. I loved every minute of it.

I still have some side missions to complete to get a full 100% of the game and will most likely complete it after my friend finished playing with it.

After that, I will start a new game to finish the storymode again. I also did the three challenges that came with the Black Edition of the game. They were fun too, hoping Ubi will put out more of them in the future.

ACII locked op twice on me when I chose to fast travel between city's. I guess eagerly pushin the a button has that effect, since it happened twice.

jett

D-Member
Massa said:
What that picture doesn't show are the framerate and tearing issues on the PS3 version.

The framerate isn't perfect in the 360 version either. Both are actually pretty close in terms of performance. The one true definitive version will be the PC port. :p

Animal

Banned
I have played both versions. The differences are minimal and not even worth talking about. The internet is full of drama mamas.

JCtheMC

ACE 1991 said:
Just finished watching Assassin's Creed Lineage. Wow, that was really awesome. Super pumped to start the game now!

It'll make you appreciate the first part of the game a whole lot more.

I finished it on PS3 and think the tearing and framerate issues are being blown way out of proportion. Technically the game is very good, I had no issues.
Now off to finish getting the remaining feathers for my Platinum Trophy.

Alright, GAF. I had no interest in this game upon release: I didn't like the first one so I wasn't really paying attention to this one. However, I feel like I need a new game to hold me over during Christmas break other than MW2. How, exactly, does this game improve upon the original?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dax01 said:
How, exactly, does this game improve upon the original?

Not as repetitive, more 'freedom' to traverse the world, generally a much better version of everything the first game sought to be, the narrative is more compelling and your animus character actually has a plot attached to him, etc etc.

To put it bluntly, this is Assassin's Creed, done much better.

Mikey Jr.

Haven't beat the game yet, but here are my thoughts.

Warning: I have never played Assassins Creed 1.

-I guess its my fault, but they don't really fill you in on the details of A1. Thought they would, but didn't. Had to read a synopsis online.

-At first, the controls aggravated me to no end. Ok, R1 to run. I can deal with that. But then R1 plus X to jump on things. And if you are running on roof tops and you are holding R1 and X and want to go onto a rooftop a little lower, Enzio will like do this massive leap off the house and fall, when you should just hold R1. So then I started to understand. Hold R1 just to run, but X if you wanna do shit. I'm not perfect, but getting there.
But then those fucking race challenges. When there is a specific path to go with a timelimit, thats when the system falls apart. Sometimes Enzio will grab onto shit and it just fucks everything up.

-Too many buttons to do everything. Can't this be more streamlined? When I am running, can't Enzio auto push people out of the way. Unless I'm holding the shove button, he'll trip into some asshole. Whats the point?
And why is there a walk fast button at all? Can't I just push the stick further in? Move the stick a little, walk slowly. Move it more, walk faster.
And when I'm running with R1 only, why am I going slower than holding X? Just make me go at the fastest speed possible while holding R1 only.

-Camera doesn't suit rooftop running. I constantly have to stop when running and see what is below me and if there is a roof I can jump down to or not.

Overall, great game and am having a fantastic time with it. My main gripe is the controls, but that seems like something that needs practice.

Plus holy shit at the amount of stuff to do.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
AC2's story is very good at the beginning, because you really feel like Ezio and his family have a past, like they actually have lived before the game started. This is thrown out the window once the point is no longer about presenting the characters, but about killing a succession of targets.

I would have preferred if it remained personal, with maybe his brother surviving to keep a character with a strong bond to him throughout the game.

That being said the game is still awesome. I'm hoping for AC3 the story will be handled with more focus on the main characters themselves.

conman

Whoa. Just finished the game. As much as the Ezio storyline gets lost for most of the game, the Venice chunk up through the endgame is pure brilliance.

Just wish the earlier sections of the game were able to keep the Ezio stuff going strong. You lose track of why Ezio is killing these people and what his motivations are. There's a very large section of the game where he's acting completely on his own and seemingly without any reason or direction. Reminds me of what happened to the GTAIV storyline. But unlike GTAIV, AC2 finishes very strong.

Even more impressively, after finishing the game and looking back, I can see just how many storyline threads Ubi Montreal were juggling simultaneously. By my count, there are (at least) six independent storylines running through the game: Ezio's storyline, Desmond's storyline, the Truth videos, Altair's codex story, subject 16's story, and the interconnected behind-the-scenes historical accounts in the glyph letters.

That's a lot to keep going, and that Ubi Montreal is even remotely competent at pulling that off is a serious feat. Considering that they're much better than just "competent" at keeping these storylines alive and interesting is mind-blowing. Very well done.

It's the polar opposite of Uncharted 2's approach. U2 is a simple story told very well. AC2 is an amazingly complex story told decently well. Not sure which is the more impressive narrative accomplishment. Regardless, both of these games show just how incredible video game storytelling can be. Still on a high after finishing AC2. So good.

Mikey Jr. said:
Haven't beat the game yet, but here are my thoughts.

Warning: I have never played Assassins Creed 1.

-I guess its my fault, but they don't really fill you in on the details of A1. Thought they would, but didn't. Had to read a synopsis online.

-At first, the controls aggravated me to no end. Ok, R1 to run. I can deal with that. But then R1 plus X to jump on things. And if you are running on roof tops and you are holding R1 and X and want to go onto a rooftop a little lower, Enzio will like do this massive leap off the house and fall, when you should just hold R1. So then I started to understand. Hold R1 just to run, but X if you wanna do shit. I'm not perfect, but getting there.
But then those fucking race challenges. When there is a specific path to go with a timelimit, thats when the system falls apart. Sometimes Enzio will grab onto shit and it just fucks everything up.

-Too many buttons to do everything. Can't this be more streamlined? When I am running, can't Enzio auto push people out of the way. Unless I'm holding the shove button, he'll trip into some asshole. Whats the point?
And why is there a walk fast button at all? Can't I just push the stick further in? Move the stick a little, walk slowly. Move it more, walk faster.
And when I'm running with R1 only, why am I going slower than holding X? Just make me go at the fastest speed possible while holding R1 only.

-Camera doesn't suit rooftop running. I constantly have to stop when running and see what is below me and if there is a roof I can jump down to or not.

Overall, great game and am having a fantastic time with it. My main gripe is the controls, but that seems like something that needs practice.

Plus holy shit at the amount of stuff to do.

Yep ...controls arent for me either ...especially with titles like inFamous out there. Ubi can keep their pretentious ass controls =/

Kuraudo

Banned
Ubisoft need to make a Professor Layton type game centered around deciphering subject 16's clues. Best part of the damn game.

conman

Kuraudo said:
Ubisoft need to make a Professor Layton type game centered around deciphering subject 16's clues. Best part of the damn game.
Anyone done the work of decoding the hidden messages? I'm not talking about the puzzles, but the other stuff that you don't need to solve, but that's hidden throughout the backgrounds of the puzzles. I deciphered all the Morse code segments (some odd bits in it), but I can't decode the binary stuff, nor have I figured out the letter code that's used. Anyone?

No one in the spoiler thread has done it, but I figured that there might be a link or guide somewhere that does this work already.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Rez said:
I love the controls. They're essentially the Prince of Persia Trilogy controls but taken to the next level. I can't praise them enough, I wish more devs would nick them.

do you have the jump while climbing ability yet? you learn it during a Venetian mission.

Thanks, don't have that skill yet. I'm doing more side-quest related stuff, finding feathers, etc. than the actual story. :p

Top Bottom