• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

Sid

Will the low review scores result in low sales?

55/100 http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/30/assassins-creed-iii-liberation-review/2/
7.2/10 http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/10/30/assassins-creed-iii-liberation-review
3/5 http://www.gamesradar.com/assassins-creed-iii-liberation-review/
8.7/10 http://www.justpushstart.com/2012/10/assassins-creed-iii-liberation-review/2/
78/100 http://www.gameinformer.com/games/a...30/assassins-creed-iii-liberation-review.aspx
84/100 http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews...lla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0

So it seems that Liberation will get a average score clearly under 80%. Will this result in low sales of Liberation and Vita? I think that Liberation is the one big Vita game for the holidays the other game is Call of Duty Vita, but to be honest, CoD-Vita looks real bad.
Your post is definitely missing the 2 other 90 and above scores but even if the meta score is 70+ i think it'll do good sales wise.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I want to plaaaaay. God damn stupid backup/restore times.

I rarely ever read reviews but I decided to see why the game received a 55. (I really don't care.)

After reading the review I can't see the justification for any score let alone a 55, are reviews really this poor these days or is this just a bad example?

darkwing

I rarely ever read reviews but I decided to see why the game received a 55. (I really don't care.)

After reading the review I can't see the justification for any score let alone a 55, are reviews really this poor these days or is this just a bad example?

like Takao pointed out, Sony is marketing Vta as a console gaming on the go

so let's compare AC:L vs AC3

oh yeah

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

This kind of review is rather Vita centric, there are quite a few Vita games that get bashed in reviews for similar reasons. But yes, as the other review threads show, games journalism isnt in the best of states right now.

BibiMaghoo

The criticism of using different disguises gimping you as an assassin seems fair game, based on what has been said. The multiplayer is disappointing aswell.

I won't have my copy till tomorrow, but a bit less hyped now.

Xiaoki

Does that mean its stealth mechanics cannot or should not be improved? Are the stealth mechanics off limits for critique? Frankly, Parish's comparison to Dishonored seems incredibly fair. In Dishonored, stealth is available, but it's also a kickass action game.

Dishonored has hand to hand combat available as well. But compared to Tekken its crap. So, Dishonored should be marked down for not having hand to hand combat comparable to Tekken.

"But Dishonored isnt trying to be a fighting game" you might say.

So what. Does that mean its hand to hand combat mechanics cannot or should not be improved?

You are trying WAAAAY too hard to defend this.

Sorry to have been absent guys! Bros! Vitadad's, dawgs and muffins!

I forgot my login, lol but remembered it ^_^

Anyhow - picked up the ACL white Vita bundle today (2 Vita household) - its a thing of beauty! Cannot wait to jump into the game tonight after work!

Toma

How does the ps3 connectivity work? What do I need to do to unlock conners tomahawk?

As far as I understand it, start up both games -> connect vita to ps3 -> use connect function on vita.

Oh and ... just noticed. I wont get a TOMAhawk.

:(

Ein Bear

Any chance of SCEE putting this up at midnight? It's happened to games before (I remember staying up for Mortal Kombat), but that's when they come out on the Friday.

Autofokus

the review is just horrible:

[..]Additionally, you don’t get to play as Desmond, a reoccurring character in the series whose modern-day exploits usually help bridge the franchise’s entries together. His scenes also used to offer a nice break from the historical scenarios.

bah

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is it a rare thing for people to not come to AC for Desmond's story but rather, to experience the story of the assassin that you're playing as?

Because I ended up playing the series for the Assassins themselves (and the city/architecture and the music), as opposed to the Desmond storyline.

Midou

Is it a rare thing for people to not come to AC for Desmond's story but rather, to experience the story of the assassin that you're playing as?

Because I ended up playing the series for the Assassins themselves (and the city/architecture and the music), as opposed to the Desmond storyline.

If the games had 0 desmond parts, they would be better for it. Simply having assassin games in awesome recreations of huge cities is more than enough for an amazing game premise.

Toki767

I think the majority could give a rat's ass about Desmond.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I've never played an Assassin's Creed game before. I wonder if that should be a negative or plus going into this game, which is still downloading because the stupid Vita always pauses my downloads.

Takao

Banned

For the longest time I thought all you did was play as an Assassin. I never knew there was a modern day portion to the series until I actually played a bit of one, lol.

Midou

For the longest time I thought all you did was play as an Assassin. I never knew there was a modern day portion to the series until I actually played a bit of one, lol.

I remember not having any idea about the modern day stuff going into AC1, but then you see it right at the start. I think it would have made for an awesome twist ending instead of revealing it at the start.

The criticism of using different disguises gimping you as an assassin seems fair game, based on what has been said. The multiplayer is disappointing aswell.

I won't have my copy till tomorrow, but a bit less hyped now.

It really isnt. It makes sense to me. The style of play you'd have to use compliments the persona. It really is pretty neat in practice.

Do you think those comparisons are actually analogous to the one's Parish made between stealth assassination games?

Let's just get this out of the way now, my beef isn't with his entire review. This paragraph I think spells out all that needs to be said:

And, of course, there are plenty of people who will trouble Aveline, because Liberation employs the same annoying, contrived elements as every other Assassin's title. That means you'll constantly encounter things like the knots of three men who stand around talking and ignoring everyone else in the city, yet who are drawn to Aveline like iron filings to a magnet the instant she walks past. Rather than asking for money or strumming a lute like the beggars of yore, these guys take a more disturbingly aggressive approach by physically assaulting her, grabbing her by the arm and shoving her back and forth. And, as in previous games, it could be a convincing game element -- an unnerving, sexually tinged assault -- if it happened in moderation. The problem is that the exact same trio of thugs appears all over the place and does the exact same thing over and over, and always only to Aveline, revealing the utter artifice of the entire thing and rendering it a tiring nuisance.

This is a good description of one of this game's weaknesses, and here he merely ties in these specific complaints about this game's world into the context of the entire series. My issue is that from here, what starts as an informative list of issues with this game devolves into a diatribe about what he dislikes about the AC games in general and how tired he is of them. Of course nearly anything is a legitimate thing to complain about in the proper contet, but I simply don't think that's fair to lump it into this review.

1UP has no issue giving plenty of extra space to tangential op-eds lambasting various series or elements of series.

Peff

It really isnt. It makes sense to me. The style of play you'd have to use compliments the persona. It really is pretty neat in practice.

No, it's neat in theory. In practice, Slave does everything and there's no real reason to use Lady unless you're forced to.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

I always thought that only few fans actually cared about Desmond stupid story and the apocalypse crap.

Ubi should've went from the beginning and make this IP just about assassins from different eras and locations. the 2012 plot,First Civilization bullshit and the "connections" to Altair and also Desmond all was a big huge mistake.

They should've end all of this crap with AC2 and rebooted the series to removed all that and keep it "pure".

No, it's neat in theory. In practice, Slave does everything and there's no real reason to use Lady unless you're forced to.

Have you been playing the game? I play different than that. Depending on how I want to approach a situation determines who I choose. Also since you dont have to use lady at least having some sort of change is nice from all assassin all the time except for when the game chooses for you.

Toma

I always thought that only few fans actually cared about Desmond stupid story and the apocalypse crap.

Ubi should've went from the beginning and make this IP just about assassins from different eras and locations. the 2012 plot,First Civilization bullshit and the "connections" to Altair and also Desmond all was a big huge mistake.

They should've end all of this crap with AC2 and rebooted the series to removed all that and keep it "pure".

I think it still was somewhat intriguing in the first game when everything was still new. Cared less about it with every new iteration though.

thumb

Banned
Dishonored has hand to hand combat available as well. But compared to Tekken its crap. So, Dishonored should be marked down for not having hand to hand combat comparable to Tekken.

"But Dishonored isnt trying to be a fighting game" you might say.

So what. Does that mean its hand to hand combat mechanics cannot or should not be improved?

You are trying WAAAAY too hard to defend this.

What games do you think have mechanics that can be fairly compared to Assassin's Creed?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think it still was somewhat intriguing in the first game when everything was still new. Cared less about it with every new iteration though.

Yeah in AC1 it was subtle and the "mystery" surround it kept it check,but after that there was just too much of it and they blow all that into your face especially in Brotherhood and Revelations.

Peff

Have you been playing the game?

You tell me.

I play different than that. Depending on how I want to approach a situation determines who I choose. Also since you dont have to use lady at least having some sort of change is nice from all assassin all the time except for when the game chooses for you.

That doesn't change the fact that you can do pretty much everything with Slave, who gets both the invisibility from notoriety level 0 and all the important weapons but the gun.

About 90 minutes in, some initial impressions for those that might be on the fence.

The disguises do slow down the game a lot. Not being able to run, jump, and climb makes the game less enjoyable.

Also there are a ton of graphical issues, from MPCs popping in 3 feet in front of you, scripting issues with enemies constantly running into walls, awkward combat, etc. As others have mentioned, the framrate hangs out in the low 20s, not game breaking, but annoying.

And as I mentioned before, the audio is pretty terrible, like N64 game muffled voices and music. Going to try Uncharted and NFS: MW tonight. Hopefully those fare better.

xclaw

Ugh, why I keep going to EB Games is beyond me but I have a copy. Almost wanted to walk out since their "last copy" was the gutted version and hit up Best Buy but my co workers were already bitching that their lunch was getting cold and needed to be back to the office.

At least I have her now... now to play at my desk or slip off to the bathroom? Such decisions.

TheGrue

I actually enjoy both the modern stuff and the history stuff. It's all one big story tied together and I enjoy the sci-fi weavings with the First Civilization. If it was just assassins in various parts of history, I wouldn't care about it near as much.

Xiaoki

What games do you think have mechanics that can be fairly compared to Assassin's Creed?

Why the need to compare it to other games? Especially to games that are only mildly similar.
Why not judge the game as it is? Instead of what you think it should be.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Someone screendump the multiplayer portion for me and explain how it works.

I already know it isn't like the bigger brother versions so I'm already disappointed but I wanna know how it works/looks like. Also is there trophies related to it? :/

thumb

Banned
Why the need to compare it to other games? Especially to games that are only mildly similar.
Why not judge the game as it is? Instead of what you think it should be.

You did not answer the question. If your position is that a piece of art should not be compared to its contemporaries, I don't think we can have a discussion.

xclaw

So far so good! Loving everything, it's a little bizarre to see Assassin's Creed in the palm of my hands. I've only ever played the first one.

Top Bottom