• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

BibiMaghoo

It's not just about the clothes. It's that someone in a corset would be doing that at all. You wouldn't do it. It would blow your cover. And the whole point of the persona is cover.

I find it annoying though.

No, you'd be surprised by how limited you are when you have to wear one of those. I've had to put one of those on once and it is irritating. You don't have much flexibility to yourself so the least you can do is walk and jog (especially with a tightly-bound corset).

So, no, I wouldn't want to climb up buildings and onto the roof while wearing a long expensive gown. Edit: Actually, back then some women opted for false bums and false hips. The pannier was being phased out (that's the thing that makes dress skirts all hoopy) in favour for the petticoat.

With that said, the mechanic is neat, but I feel like they could have pushed it more. I completely get the restrictiveness issues. Edit: I also am taking issue with the compressed sound. What a shame, really.

Sure, I understand the reason why it would be unreasonable in that case, but what about reduced fighting capability when in the slave disguise? As I said I have yet to play it.

I guess in a sandbox game about choice, for me personally, removing that choice is an issue.

I expect a video game assassin to be able to overcome the difficulties in wearing awkward clothing.

I will have a chance to check it out tomorrow. Either way I'm sure it will be better than burning skies, which is rotting in my vita.

Dawg

I like the game, but I have to agree with certain reviews. I just don't like the costumes that much. They're a neat idea, but the pirate costume is by far the coolest and best. Walking around as a lady and charming guys is fun, but I don't like doing it a lot.

Don't know if the costumes will stay locked in certain missions, but I'm in Act 3 and sometimes only the lady costume is available for a certain mission. It has a reason, but I dislike coming from a fast freejumping assassin to a slow lady.

Thoraxes

It actually got less points because it was tailored for a handheld experience. See IGN review. The game was meant for short bursts but IGN didn't like the structure for continuous play so Greg gave it negative marks.

What? That is weird as hell. If anything (and yet again I haven't played it), but that should be a positive point, being a handheld game with a handheld experience for a handheld...

Some reviewers these days are kinda wacky. I guess that negative for them becomes a positive for me, heh.

thumb

Banned
It actually got less points because it was tailored for a handheld experience. See IGN review. The game was meant for short bursts but IGN didn't like the structure for continuous play so Greg gave it negative marks.

I just read Greg's review. Where does he say anything about the game not being good for continuous play? Where does he even strongly imply it?

sajj316

I just read Greg's review. Where does he say anything about the game not being good for continuous play? Where does he even strongly imply it?

Verdict

"Assassin's Creed III: Liberation is a simplified version of the Assassin's Creed franchise. The moves and kills you'd expect are here, but the story is boiled down to be easy to jump in and out of. That takes away some of the excitement in playing through it."

thumb

Banned
Verdict

"Assassin's Creed III: Liberation is a simplified version of the Assassin's Creed franchise. The moves and kills you'd expect are here, but the story is boiled down to be easy to jump in and out of. That takes away some of the excitement in playing through it."

That's legitimate, thanks for pointing that out. However, he also gave it a positive mark for providing "assassinations on the go" which suggests that it's portable structure may have been a wash in terms of its overall score impact.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Its your personal vendetta, isnt it?

Jumping on everyone pointing out flaws in those reviews. You have like 28 posts in total over the course of 4 months, 2/3rds of those posts have been in this very thread arguing with what it seems like 20 different users trying to defend ridiculous reviews and statements. Its getting a tad tiring, dude.

Grisby

Picked it up. Feeling under the weather so I won't be getting to it tonight.

Gs guys were a bit surprised I was getting this instead of ac3 proper. What can I say? I like console experiences on handhelds. Sh origins and the god of war games for the psp were some of my favorite titles in the past years.

sajj316

Jumping on everyone pointing out flaws in those reviews. You have like 28 posts in total over the course of 4 months, 2/3rds of those posts have been in this very thread arguing with what it seems like 20 different users trying to defend ridiculous reviews and statements. Its getting a tad tiring, dude.

Here's another one. What the heck is forced Vita functionality and why is it a negative? God forbid a developer uses the gyroscope or back touch. I'd give every iOS game -2 points just for forcing me to use touch controls. How dare they!!

graywolf323

uh it's right there at the end

IGN said:
The Verdict

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation is a simplified version of the Assassin's Creed franchise. The moves and kills you'd expect are here, but the story is boiled down to be easy to jump in and out of. That takes away some of the excitement in playing through it.

edit: beaten badly

thumb

Banned

It's the first extended discussion I've had on NeoGaf, hence the proportion of posts. If you find my arguments ridiculous you're free to rebut or ignore me. But I won't get dragged into personal attacks (e.g., "vendetta").

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Here's another one. What the heck is forced Vita functionality and why is it a negative? God forbid a developer uses the gyroscope or back touch. I'd give every iOS game -2 points just for forcing me to use touch controls. How dare they!!

Well, I agree that its a negative if its cumbersome and it does nothing to enhance the gameplay. Like I was somewhat annoyed at the fact that you couldnt choose the level on the level select screen in Uncharted with the d-pad, but had to swipe on the screen. Sometimes that stuff indeed does get in the way. Another example would be an always on backpad functionality that can accidentally trigger (since that is unfortunately where I rest my fingers).
However, many reviews make any sort of non-button feature to be the devils descendent without giving proper reasoning for why its not enhancing the game or even in the way of enjoyment. Thats just annoying to read in reviews.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

Perfect point! If the functionality didnt work correctly thats one thing but just knocking it because its there is another. I also thought I heard you can do everything without using any touch controls, like the options you could disable them.

Toma

Perfect point! If the functionality didnt work correctly thats one thing but just knocking it because its there is another. I also thought I heard you can do everything without using any touch controls, like the options you could disable them.

If thats true, this shouldnt be a negative point at all then.

Carl

Verdict

Yeah i read that as well. Thought it was really weird. If they had ported a "full console" version to Vita, journos would complain that it's a port and not suitable for portable play. Lose-lose situation

sajj316

If thats true, this shouldnt be a negative point at all then.

To be fair he did point out certain parts that he thought were a gimmick but nothing in the review about it not being functional. The key is that it didn't work well for him. When I played uncharted and had a part of the game where I put the back touch to light, I thought it worked well. Just a matter of opinion I guess.

"Pinching the front and rear touch screens to tear open a letter pulled me out of the world Ubisoft was trying to create, and decoding letters by holding a light to the rear camera never worked well for me. There's even a maddening ball-rolling mini-game using the handheld's gyroscopes."

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah i read that as well. Thought it was really weird. If they had ported a "full console" version to Vita, journos would complain that it's a port and not suitable for portable play. Lose-lose situation

I don't think it is that. A guy writing for a website isn't playing the game in short bursts like a regular person might, they'd sit on their ass in the office and play through it. Journalists would most likely love the game you describe. It doesn't mean that it would work for most handheld users.

It doesn't mean that the complaint doesn't have merit. It's just different.

Carl

I don't think it is that. A guy writing for a website isn't playing the game in short bursts like a regular person would, they'd sit on their ass in the office and play through it. Journalists would most likely love the game you describe. It doesn't mean that it would work for most handheld users.

So why is it counted as a negative? :p Makes no sense.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sure, I understand the reason why it would be unreasonable in that case, but what about reduced fighting capability when in the slave disguise? As I said I have yet to play it.
No, point taken with the slave disguise. If I had to guess, perhaps it's because you are a slave and it's risky to fight back or lack adequate armour and thus adequate ways to conceal weapons.

minimoke said:
How does the framerate hold up in fights and busy areas?
Framerate drops can be quite noticeable. When you're in a middle of a fight or something, it tends to detract.

Toma

Picking up my copy today :) How does the framerate hold up in fights and busy areas?

Yeah, as Schala above me said. Its not game breaking but definitely noticeable, even without fights. I dont think I'll mind it that much, but I can easily see it being game breaking for someone who cant stand sub 30 FPS.

thumb

Banned
I understand that devs need their games to look good, but I always wish there was a "do whatever it takes to lock at 30fps" setting. I'd always have it on.

Carl

Because it was a negative to him? Reviews are subjective.

I know that, but it's not a really a negative thing about the game. It's a negative about how you use it. I can't really deduct points from an online game because it makes hard for teams to work together when i chose to not use a microphone.

Jinroh

Why is sony allowing companies to produce sub-hd games? It looks really awful... I would prefer a game that has simpler graphics, but a higher (=normal vita) resolution.

I'm really not impressed. Some beautiful games run on the vita, but what's it worth with such a low resolution? It didn't happen on the psp, why now? Sub-res, awful loadings...

This hardware is going to be annihilated by the next generations of smartphones and certainly won't last 5 to 7 years. I'm really disappointed.

Toma

Why is sony allowing companies to produce sub-hd games? It looks really awful... I would prefer a game that has simpler graphics, but a higher (=normal vita) resolution.

I'm really not impressed. Some beautiful games run on the vita, but what's it worth with such a low resolution? It didn't happen on the psp, why now? Sub-res, awful loadings...

This hardware is going to be annihilated by the next generations of smartphones and certainly won't last 5 to 7 years. I'm really disappointed.

It is in 544p, which is the Vitas native resolution if I am not mistaken.

If you just started out and look at the child portion, keep playing. The flashback has a weird filter that makes it look super blurry.

Jinroh

I haven't bought it yet, I'm still hesitating. But when I look at that, I'm really afraid:

jFTij.jpg

Always anoys me the these reviews always call touch element bad. Like in the ign review greg says opening letters pulls you out of the game, where as for me its the total opposite. I think it helps you interact with the game even more. It literally takes you into the game.

golden abyss suffered the same problem with its reviews. Giant bomb said out right that the touch stuff just wasnt fun and it makes the game appear more like a treasure hunting game. Again i really like those elements in the game and the fact it isnt just climb then shootbang and repeat is a good thing. Only the balance bits are truly crap.

Its kinda like game journalists are so against smartphone gaming taking over that they leap on anything that resembles it and beat it to death.

Personally i think the fact the vita can converge the console and smartphone gaming worlds is its biggest stregnth.

VanWinkle

I haven't bought it yet, I'm still hesitating. But when I look at that, I'm really afraid:

jFTij.jpg

Understandable. It's not native resolution, but it looks way better than that when you play it on Vita. Heck, if you wanted to you could pick a couple of screenshots on your Vita. It will give you a better representation (although the shot is still a little compressed so it won't be exact) and will alleviate your worries a little.

Toma

Understandable. It's not native resolution, but it looks way better than that when you play it on Vita. Heck, if you wanted to you could pick a couple of screenshots on your Vita. It will give you a better representation (although the shot is still a little compressed so it won't be exact) and will alleviate your worries a little.

You sure it isnt? Review I found said its 544p.

It is in 544p, which is the Vitas native resolution if I am not mistaken.

If you just started out and look at the child portion, keep playing. The flashback has a weird filter that makes it look super blurry.

The game is sub-res (720x408) but the UI elements are native res.

Toma

The game is sub-res (720x408) but the UI elements are native res.

Ah, thanks then. Well, luckily I dont mind the resolution all that much ingame. Looks fine to me.

Unbelievable. I went to three EB Games stores, a Future Shop and a Walmart, and couldn't find a copy of AC:L Vita anywhere... WTF Sony? Idiot at one of the EB's tried to sell me the fucking hardware bundle...

Too bad Sony, you lose... I'll play Zero Escape until Ragnorack releases next week, and play that until I can pick up a used copy on Craigslist or at Microplay for less monies...

I'm sorry, this doesn't read like anything other than "I want this NOW NOW NOW but nobody had it so FINE, I'M NEVER BUYING IT!"

sajj316

Always anoys me the these reviews always call touch element bad. Like in the ign review greg says opening letters pulls you out of the game, where as for me its the total opposite. I think it helps you interact with the game even more. It literally takes you into the game.

golden abyss suffered the same problem with its reviews. Giant bomb said out right that the touch stuff just wasnt fun and it makes the game appear more like a treasure hunting game. Again i really like those elements in the game and the fact it isnt just climb then shootbang and repeat is a good thing. Only the balance bits are truly crap.

Its kinda like game journalists are so against smartphone gaming taking over that they leap on anything that resembles it and beat it to death.

Personally i think the fact the vita can converge the console and smartphone gaming worlds is its biggest stregnth.

Amen! My copy is still in route and probably delayed due to the storm.

Top Bottom