• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Would it be alright if I played this before ACIII or will a bunch of stuff be spoiled? Not quite sure where this lands in the story.

Unrelated, aside from a minor cameo.

Moofers

I wouldn't read too much into reviews, everybody. Try to remember that a lot of places gave Wipeout 2048 around 7's and 8's when that game is a motherfucking 10 if there ever was one. And then MvC3 and SFxT get lower scores than their bigger brothers even though they are amaze-balls and for what? Because they gotta pay that Vita tax, I guess.

What the fuck ever. I want to hear what real gamers think of AC3:L.

Ohnonono

You did not answer the question. If your position is that a piece of art should not be compared to its contemporaries, I don't think we can have a discussion.

I think peoples argument would be that they aren't contemporaries. The Vita is a portable system. I am sure we could pull up some high end PC games at high res, with CPU destroying physics and AI, and compare that to Dishonored and it would be a similar situation.
That said I like Parish's stuff and don't think it is HIS problem. He is saying what he thinks about a game and he is not responsible for PR backlash or GAF hate. He also is one of the few reviewers that plays a great deal of portable games. If you cover the C and read that review it seems very similar to most GAF impressions with a bit more language in it.
That said if people look at the reviews and impressions on GAF it is pretty easy to figure out what this game is. So far I would say a AC2-3 type experience with the obvious downgraded visuals/scope for being on a Vita instead of a HDtwin. If UC:GA was terrible looking and ran like crap to you, this is in the same boat. If you enjoyed that game, AC2, Gravity Rush? Prolly gonna like it.

Sid

I wouldn't read too much into reviews, everybody. Try to remember that a lot of places gave Wipeout 2048 around 7's and 8's when that game is a motherfucking 10 if there ever was one. And then MvC3 and SFxT get lower scores than their bigger brothers even though they are amaze-balls and for what? Because they gotta pay that Vita tax, I guess.

What the fuck ever. I want to hear what real gamers think of AC3:L.
The game currently has a 75 metascore which is pretty good,i don't get the issue with the reviews.

Ricker

So I got the White Vita Bundle from Future Shop just now and I decided for now to get Uncharted instead of a bigger memory card...I still have my PSP 2000 that I will use to listen to podcasts and such...but back to Liberation..the opening tutorial was a little blurry I thought and I had one of the ennemies you have to kill to go on glitch as he was walking into a barn door,stuck there but once you get into the game per say,it looks great,can't wait to play more this evening...

The guy at Future Shop told me he sold a dozen bundles already today,this should help the Vita sales a lot.

So I got the White Vita Bundle from Future Shop just now and I decided for now to get Uncharted instead of a bigger memory card...I still have my PSP 2000 that I will use to listen to podcasts and such...but back to Liberation..the opening tutorial was a little blurry I thought and I had one of the ennemies you have to kill to go on glitch as he was walking into a barn door,stuck there but once you get into the game per say,it looks great,can't wait to play more this evening...

The guy at Future Shop told me he sold a dozen bundles already today,this should help the Vita sales a lot.

Liberation seems to be selling well, at least as far as Future Shop is concerned. I hit up two different Future Shops in my area, and all were sold out of the game.

BibiMaghoo

It really isnt. It makes sense to me. The style of play you'd have to use compliments the persona. It really is pretty neat in practice.

I've not played it, but the idea that wearing certain clothes makes a person suddenly unable to climb at all, kinda sounds dumb.

I get it changes gameplay so works as a mechanic, but in setting its a bit silly.

TheGrue

I've not played it, but the idea that wearing certain clothes makes a person suddenly unable to climb at all, kinda sounds dumb.

I get it changes gameplay so works as a mechanic, but in setting its a bit silly.

Maybe you should try climbing walls in a corset and long gown?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's not just about the clothes. It's that someone in a corset would be doing that at all. You wouldn't do it. It would blow your cover. And the whole point of the persona is cover.

I find it annoying though.

Unbelievable. I went to three EB Games stores, a Future Shop and a Walmart, and couldn't find a copy of AC:L Vita anywhere... WTF Sony? Idiot at one of the EB's tried to sell me the fucking hardware bundle...

Too bad Sony, you lose... I'll play Zero Escape until Ragnorack releases next week, and play that until I can pick up a used copy on Craigslist or at Microplay for less monies...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Unbelievable. I went to three EB Games stores, a Future Shop and a Walmart, and couldn't find a copy of AC:L Vita anywhere... WTF Sony? Idiot at one of the EB's tried to sell me the fucking hardware bundle...

Too bad Sony, you lose... I'll play Zero Escape until Ragnorack releases next week, and play that until I can pick up a used copy on Craigslist or at Microplay for less monies...

Yeah, wtf Sony. Your PSN copies were sold out too :mad:

Takao

Banned

up on PSN for $35.99

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm not an assassin, and I'm sure it would be possible to try.
No, you'd be surprised by how limited you are when you have to wear one of those. I've had to put one of those on once and it is irritating. You don't have much flexibility to yourself so the least you can do is walk and jog (especially with a tightly-bound corset).

So, no, I wouldn't want to climb up buildings and onto the roof while wearing a long expensive gown. Edit: Actually, back then some women opted for false bums and false hips. The pannier was being phased out (that's the thing that makes dress skirts all hoopy) in favour for the petticoat.

With that said, the mechanic is neat, but I feel like they could have pushed it more. I completely get the restrictiveness issues. Edit: I also am taking issue with the compressed sound. What a shame, really.

MisterC20XX

I got to play the game for about 20 minutes today at lunch. It looks good and plays well but the sound is shockingly bad to me. :( I played with ear buds and the sound is extremely compressed, channel issues, stereo separation issues, etc. Has anyone tried the game both before and after the 1.01 patch? I'm wondering what issues with the sound were fixed... ?

Skilletor

Man, nobody in this city likes Aveline. I'm getting aggo like nobody's business. It's hilarious to me.

I can walk around guards in any other AC wearing clothes that are totally out of place and they just look at me. Here? I look at least similar to other people but everybody wants to kill me on sight. lol

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Man, nobody in this city likes Aveline. I'm getting aggo like nobody's business. It's hilarious to me.

I can walk around guards in any other AC wearing clothes that are totally out of place and they just look at me. Here? I look at least similar to other people but everybody wants to kill me on sight. lol

didnt the developers say its because she is a girl or something? What other impressions do you have of the game so far?

I got to play the game for about 20 minutes today at lunch. It looks good and plays well but the sound is shockingly bad to me. :( I played with ear buds and the sound is extremely compressed, channel issues, stereo separation issues, etc. Has anyone tried the game both before and after the 1.01 patch? I'm wondering what issues with the sound were fixed... ?

I have, audio sucks in both.

Toma

Ugh my copy is waiting for me at home :( I'm not off work for another 4 hours!

After a little bit over 2 hours, my Vita restore crashed (after I thought it was finished), so its starts restoring all over again. We might start to play at the same time!

White Man

Super unpolished, but I like what I've played so far. The cutscenes and narrative in general seem rather terse and abrupt. I'm guessing that's a limitation of disk space.

Toma

Super unpolished, but I like what I've played so far. The cutscenes and narrative in general seem rather terse and abrupt. I'm guessing that's a limitation of disk space.

What did you like?

Foxix Von

Mmmm I have it pre ordered but I'm still on the fence. Ive only really played the first AC game. Is it worth giving the series another chance with this game if I hated the first game?

Toma

Mmmm I have it pre ordered but I'm still on the fence. Ive only really played the first AC game. Is it worth giving the series another chance with this game if I hated the first game?

Any part of the series is worth it if you didnt really like the first one tbh. Havent played Liberation yet, but 1 was easily the worst in terms of gameplay and content. If you have a chance, I'd recommend Brotherhood though, it was the best in my opinion so far.

My thoughts exactly, it does feel a little rough, for example light fixtures on the walls coming on midway through a cutscene. Ingame the graphics looks very nice, with a lot of detail, but the frame rate does seem to act up abit, there are jaggies everywhere and Avelines animations could be smoother.

Toma

My thoughts exactly, it does feel a little rough, for example light fixtures on the walls coming on midway through a cutscene. Ingame the graphics looks very nice, with a lot of detail, but the frame rate does seem to act up abit, there are jaggies everywhere and Avelines animations could be smoother.

What did you like then?

Yeah, wtf Sony. Your PSN copies were sold out too :mad:

up on PSN for $35.99

I'm aware it's on PSN, but I want the physical copy. And I will get the physical copy. Eventually. But Ubisoft and Sony are unlikely to profit from my acquisition of the physical copy now...

FTR, I own something like 80 PSP and Vita games I've purchased on PSN - but I want the physical version of this game.

Toma

I'm aware it's on PSN, but I want the physical copy. And I will get the physical copy. Eventually. But Ubisoft and Sony are unlikely to profit from my acquisition of the physical copy now...

FTR, I own something like 80 PSP and Vita games I've purchased on PSN - but I want the physical version of this game.

Fair point. I just found the idea of not buying it at all due to the not availability in stores a bit weird. Virtues Last Reward is fantastic though, so have fun with that :)

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Finally a game that will quench my thirst of not killing things, but buying dress shops and running errands to purchase clothes in Colonial New Orleans.

8kjKU.jpg

Ml7Fw.jpg

csKfx.jpg

tPjyH.jpg

cSgVw.jpg

jFTij.jpg

Just some pics I nabbed!

Uhhhh... Sony and Ubi definitely want more copies of this on shelves. Blame the retailers for not buying the game or at least enough copies.

The game currently has a 75 metascore which is pretty good,i don't get the issue with the reviews.

In today's scale of 7-10 a 7.5 for a high profile game is absolutely horrific.

That said I care more about impressions from here, any good summaries before having to go through 16 pages?

Also, this or NFS? What say you GAF?

Toma

That said I care more about impressions from here, any good summaries before having to go through 16 pages?

Not enough proper impressions yet. Most early impressions say something along the lines of "Well done AC on a handheld if you are willing to look past some handheld shortcomings".

Thoraxes

I don't consider a spinoff to be high-profile, but that's just me.

Regardless, my copy comes in the mail tomorrow, and since I usually restrict my handheld gaming to my train commutes, as long as the game keeps me entertained, I am a happy camper.

From what i've been reading so far, it sounds well-tailored to be a handheld experience.

Having never played an AC before (watched the wife plow through AC1 and all versions of 2), I'm really enjoying this game a lot... and moreso than I thought I would. I can see why it isn't as polished as it could be due to scope, but simply messing around with the different personas has been rather entertaining.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I took these a few hours ago. I thought they looked alright, even with some of the jaggies and blurry areas in the distance. It's something I don't really think about when I'm playing, though. *shrug* The framerate could be better than it is, though.

Right now, the game does lack some polish, but I'm still kinda having a good time with it.

Takao

Banned

Handheld games don't have 600 staff members, and $30 million dollar marketing budgets so they probably receive more critical reviews.

sajj316

I don't consider a spinoff to be high-profile, but that's just me.

Regardless, my copy comes in the mail tomorrow, and since I usually restrict my handheld gaming to my train commutes, as long as the game keeps me entertained, I am a happy camper.

From what i've been reading so far, it sounds well-tailored to be a handheld experience.

It actually got less points because it was tailored for a handheld experience. See IGN review. The game was meant for short bursts but IGN didn't like the structure for continuous play so Greg gave it negative marks.

I recieved my game and played it for an hour or so. I'm pretty disapointed by the graphisms, the IQ is some of the worst I've seen on the system (ultra low res + aliasing + framerate issues), it kind of reminds me of Resistance Burning Skies, but since it's an open world game and since there are dozens of NPC and awesome animations I can't blame the devs, it's definitely not a lazy job.

The game is very fine so far, it's your standard Assassin's Creed gameplay, the costume thing seems pretty nice so far, the controls responds well, and the whole thing just works.

gryz

Banned
just got mine at target (as well as prof layton and NFS most wanted for the buy 2get1 free)

if you are having trouble finding it check Target, the one by me had it in 2 separate areas in the game section.

Top Bottom