• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

PowderedToast

can anyone confirm whether you can turn off all HUD elements like past games? it looks like some are touch based so i'm a little weary. it's one of the features i love about the series.

Bad sound design and mixing combined with horrifically compressed audio makes for a truly unpleasant sounding game. That's disappointing. Certainly won't miss anything by using the speakers instead of headphones.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
can anyone confirm whether you can turn off all HUD elements like past games? it looks like some are touch based so i'm a little weary. it's one of the features i love about the series.

Apparently everything except the money count and the quest name can be turned off.

Dawg

I haven't bought it yet, I'm still hesitating. But when I look at that, I'm really afraid:

jFTij.jpg

You do realise the size of a vita is not equal to the size of that screenshot? The screen is smaller, which makes everything look way better than a full resolution pic on your pc.

Carl

Looking at the screenshot whilst it quoted (without enlarging it) is usually a much better indicator of the quality on the Vita screen

OmegaZero

Bad sound design and mixing combined with horrifically compressed audio makes for a truly unpleasant sounding game. That's disappointing. Certainly won't miss anything by using the speakers instead of headphones.

Yeah, that part was disappointing, and I was even expecting it.
Oh well.

Yeah, it's really weird and takes away from the atmosphere. Disappointing, because the soundtrack's relatively decent.

Agreed. Day 1 with the Vita, I am impressed with the hardware, really disappointed in AC3: L.

And to hear that compressed audio is not specific to just AC3: L worries me when it comes to other Vita games.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Aveline is a vampire confirmed!!!

8138852329_966bdf4a68_b.jpg

So far, so good with the game. I grew up in New Orleans, so have been especially interested in this one. Seeing slavery around me has already had the proper effect of making me feel uncomfortable. I like the idea of having three personas, but it will be interesting to see how this truly plays out in the game.

Just got to the same spot. That is in fact, not a mirror but a window :p
Play around with the "reflections" by moving around, you can see the wall outside. Same view from the windows. Haha.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ahh, what bitrate is the music encoded at? I can't believe how bad it sounds! It's like 64kbps or something ridiculous!

Game is really quite fun. I wonder if developers have some on/off switch where they can flip on/off, like, pedestrians, geometry, etc, and alter the resolution. I'd love to know what the game would look like locked 30 fps at native res. Probably like no people in the world, lol.

Toma

Ahh, what bitrate is the music encoded at? I can't believe how bad it sounds! It's like 64kbps or something ridiculous!

Game is really quite fun. I wonder if developers have some on/off switch where they can flip on/off, like, pedestrians, geometry, etc, and alter the resolution. I'd love to know what the game would look like locked 30 fps at native res. Probably like no people in the world, lol.

Would be great for still screenshots though. More games need a screenshot mode.

TheGrue

Just got to the same spot. That is in fact, not a mirror but a window :p
Play around with the "reflections" by moving around, you can see the wall outside. Same view from the windows. Haha.

Heh...I was about to reply calling you crazy for thinking that's not a mirror, but then I understood what you meant. Funny they would make it transparent. I didn't really give it much of a look other than running up to it to see whether it would reflect or not.

Dawg

Anyone else noticed some "judder" on the world map? Could anyone go left/right on the world map and focus on an icon (the assassin HQ works best)? It's quite visible then. Almost like the icon "doubles"

Just want to rule out possible vita screen defect

Ya it's really sad that something so simple was fucked up. Again, it sounds like bad n64 music.

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I fired up some PSP games.

Also, is it just my Vita, or is the headphone output really low? I have to turn it up all the way to get decent volume.

Foxix Von

I can't quite put my finger on why but this is really the first AC game I've tried that I actually like. I played quite a bit of the first game and the beginning of 2 but this is the only one that hasn't infuriated me yet.

So yeah. I'm pleasantly surprised. Although I'm not entirely sure why though.

Anyone else noticed some "judder" on the world map? Could anyone go left/right on the world map and focus on an icon (the assassin HQ works best)? It's quite visible then. Almost like the icon "doubles"

Just want to rule out possible vita screen defect

Yep, there will be some instances when part of the screen will go all white while your turn too. Just a ton of graphical issues.

Grisby

Started some anyways. Beautiful game if a bit dark. Oh and the audio sucks, hard to hear what's going on.

But running around and being in different disguises is awesome.

matmanx1

For the second time today a Vita game has impressed me. First with NFS: Most Wanted and now with AC3: Liberation. I've just done the first couple of missions but the game feels right at home on the Vita and looks pretty good also. Really digging the soundtrack as well.

Chris_C

I have to agree with you. After 10 minutes her footsteps started to seriously grate.

In general the game is ambitious but lacks polish. I wish they'd kept the character models simpler and used the extra horsepower to bump up the resolution. I think the scores of "7" that have been released thus far are right on the money. It's a decent first step, but there are lots of rough edges.

Chris_C

Ya it's really sad that something so simple was fucked up. Again, it sounds like bad n64 music.

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I fired up some PSP games.

Also, is it just my Vita, or is the headphone output really low? I have to turn it up all the way to get decent volume.

I kept thinking the same thing, even PSP games didn't have such horrible compression. It's fairly obvious devs are trying to come in under a certain limit in order to fit on 4GB cards. Sony's smallest card should have been the 8GB.

What's even more infuriating is if you buy the physical card, you still get compressed sound.

Dawg

Wow act 4...

The Vita "puzzle" with the ball is driving me nuts. I'm supposed to turn the vita around, but I can't figure out the correct way. The platform keeps moving in strange ways. So annoying

Skyzard

Banned
Hmm any chance the audio will be updated? :(

I was wondering about the framerate, people saying it dips in battles - Has anyone found it too annoying to bare? Suffered gameplay wise due to it? Or is it like gravity rush where it's pretty much fine?

Dawg

I did it in two tries. Put your vita down flat on the table and then activate the puzzle. Worked for me.

You're my hero :eek:

edit: goddamn. I lost the bossfight 100% synch, tried to reload but accidentally pressed reload memory. Have to do the entire water level again :(

You know what is killing this game for me? Presentation.

Play the first 10-15 minutes of any other AC game, and compare it to the first 10-15 of Liberation. It's night and day. This just feels rushed, in just about every sense of the word. Narrative, editing, menus, sound, mission design... the core gameplay came through impressively intact, but everything surrounding it seems to have been partially lost in translation.

Is Multiplayer not working correctly for anybody else? This damn thing. I click to select my home node and after that it wont let me exit or push any buttons at all.

Or do you have to get to a certain point in SP to get it to work right? Because this is frustrating.

Flunkie

Banned
Been hovering over the buy button all night. You guys are certainly pushing me off my hovercraft pretty quickly. GAF ruins games for me.

Skyzard

Banned
Been hovering over the buy button all night. You guys are certainly pushing me off my hovercraft pretty quickly. GAF ruins games for me.

Prevents disappointment (as well as fun ;() and teaches publishers not to rush it when you buy it discounted later on.

A.E Suggs

Play the first 10-15 minutes of any other AC game, and compare it to the first 10-15 of Liberation. It's night and day. This just feels rushed, in just about every sense of the word. Narrative, editing, menus, sound, mission design... the core gameplay came through impressively intact, but everything surrounding it seems to have been partially lost in translation.

I don't think thats a fair comparison, but some things feels rushed.

Chris_C

It extends to the hint tips too. I barely have time to read them before they're gone.

RyL

Banned

I know what you mean. It's a thing I experience with pretty much all portable games. They come off as kinda rushed and soulless for lack of a better term. Maybe it's just in my head...

Is there online pass for this game? Bought retail asia region of the game, but my vita have us psn, so I wont be able to redeem any online pass if there's any.

Chris_C

Thanks!

And (to anyone really), framerate annoyance levels ? :p

I'm not super-sensitive to framerates, but so far I'd say about as as bad as previous Creed games. It's not SOTC bad, but it's noticeable when you're bounding across rooftops and in combat.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Can't wait to get my hands on my bundle XD. It really looks good. Glad I didn't buy a black one earlier. My bundle is still on its long journey here. Basically using a third party to ship it for me from the US... So it's Amazon--->3rd party--->Me. Will take like 15 days in total or more.

I really hope the sound issues in Liberation won't get to me though. How's the Vita in general when it comes to music and sound?

Top Bottom