• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

My copy came today from Newegg, a day sooner than I expected. Last time I preordered a game from Amazon, it didn't even ship until three or four days after release. I think I'll be sticking with Newegg for preorders from now on.

Looking forward to getting started on it, hopefully tonight.

Shapingo

I want this game but am waiting until Black Friday for a Vita deal, I'm glad to hear it is selling out though. I hope this does better than 250,000 sold in the US.

OmegaZero

9kgHk.jpg

This game is the glitchiest game I have played this year.
It's pretty awesome though.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I don't even notice the music over the digitized voice. It sounds like 90's point-and-click adventure quality. Lots of framerate issues and the world is very brown, but I'm still compelled with the game early on.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So, uh, how do you send a ship from one port to another? What I thought I did before doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.

I clicked the port where my boat was, then the first icon on the left, and THEN the destination I wanted it to go to. Aka fucking dumb.

I clicked the port where my boat was, then the first icon on the left, and THEN the destination I wanted it to go to. Aka fucking dumb.

Yeah that bit is explained really badly. I worked it out by just pressing things lol.

After getting used the frame rate I'm having good fun with this. Got the white assassins outfit and the hood and went off to get a few view points. NOW it's assassins creed.

On sequence 3 by the way. Seems I'm free to explore now from what I can tell.

Loving the game so far, doing a bit of AC3 alongside it.

I'm on a deal with a business rival mission and for 100 percent it says I can't kill the target myself. How do I go about doing that?

Also, after linking the game with the PS3, how do I get connor's tomahawk? I still seem to only have access to the machete.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Words cannot express the degree to which I want a console version of this game.

Not trying to troll or anything, but why not play AC3 if you want American Revolution AC on a console? Honest question: Why would you prefer AC:L?

sullyj

Has anyone else had trouble connecting to the PS3? I plug it in, and the "Connected to Vita" screen appears on the PS3, and Content Manager works fine, but Liberation tells me that it cannot connect to the PS3.

I have the same problem and no clue how to fix it :(

Spazznid

Not trying to troll or anything, but why not play AC3 if you want American Revolution AC on a console? Honest question: Why would you prefer AC:L?

Interesting main character?
Louisianna/swampland?
Assassin/Slave/Lady persona system?

denshuu

Different locales, characters, gameplay mechanics like marking for Splinter Cell Conviction-esque instant kills mid-battle and switching into disguises to manage notoriety or just go about missions in different ways (eg, the last mission I completed by charming guards and luring them behind buildings before stabbing them repeatedly. Very satisfying. I could have also just gone in wearing my Assassin garb guns blazin').

It's also not really about the American Revolution. That's the setting, but it isn't the focal point of the story like it is in AC3, where you're constantly getting involved with Franklin and Sam Adams and the like. ACL's story is more about Aveline than anything else, at least after the first few sequences. And she's a freaking great character in my awesome opinion.

Basically, it's a different AC game entirely, just set around the same time period. And since the game doesn't really lend itself to short, 5 minute sessions here and there, I don't really need it on a handheld. It's not that I prefer ACL over AC3, just more that I'd prefer if I could play ACL the way I play AC3; On my bigass teevee, hours at a time.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Interesting main character?
Louisianna/swampland?
Assassin/Slave/Lady persona system?

Haha. I was specifically asking him for why he'd choose ACL over AC3 and I guess I misunderstood his initial statement. Of course I am aware of the technical differences by now.

Was just curious :) Thanks for answering properly btw Denshuu!

Choc

Banned
Guys how do I get the second knife from the cook in sequence 4 I already got one from the chest near the cook

Toma

Hah, that's it? Guess I'll get the 360 version of AC 3 then.

There was something else I forgot, but it wasnt anything major. Upgraded poison darts or something?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Different locales, characters, gameplay mechanics like marking for Splinter Cell Conviction-esque instant kills mid-battle and switching into disguises to manage notoriety or just go about missions in different ways (eg, the last mission I completed by charming guards and luring them behind buildings before stabbing them repeatedly. Very satisfying. I could have also just gone in wearing my Assassin garb guns blazin').

It's also not really about the American Revolution. That's the setting, but it isn't the focal point of the story like it is in AC3, where you're constantly getting involved with Franklin and Sam Adams and the like. ACL's story is more about Aveline than anything else, at least after the first few sequences. And she's a freaking great character in my awesome opinion.

Basically, it's a different AC game entirely, just set around the same time period. And since the game doesn't really lend itself to short, 5 minute sessions here and there, I don't really need it on a handheld. It's not that I prefer ACL over AC3, just more that I'd prefer if I could play ACL the way I play AC3; On my bigass teevee, hours at a time.

I totally understand what you're saying, but, *shrugs* it's on the Vita, and the Vita needs games like this. It's kind of annoying to see in many Vita threads that the Vita needs games, and then, when it gets them, everyone wants them on consoles.

People wanted compelling reasons to purchase a Vita, and games like Uncharted, wipEout, LBP, Assassin's Creed, etc, are just that. Cross Play stuff is also a great incentive/bonus with games like All Stars and Sly Cooper.

Kerub

Banned
To people that have played both AC3 and this, which one do you prefer?

Do you think they are different enough to buy both games?

I really don't want to sound like a broken record on this, but I really think some of you are looking past a bunch of technical issues with this game because it is a high tier title on the Vita.

• Tons of graphical issues like NPC pop in, buildings dissapearing, dead enemies floating in the air
  • tons of scripting issues (companions getting stuck on building corners and falling into the water to then not be able to get out.
  • the sound is simply unacceptable in how terrible the quality is. From music, to missing sound effects, to the compressed voice audio.
  • Framrate that is constantly chugging in the low 20's (although that seems to be happening in the console games too

Also there are some weird ass NPC things like people scrubbing the grass...

And the way Sony is selling the Vita, you can not just say, "Well it is a portable game, what can you expect?" Uncharted on the Vita looks and runs pretty damn well. Sounds great too. NFS MW as well.

So for people who are considering buying this game, at least look at some of the reviews and consider the more neutral impressions of the game as well.

Personally, with all these issues, I am still enjoying the game enough to keep playing and really digging the Vita.

Massa

The Gamespot review that was just published mirrors my feelings on the game so far.

That's exactly what I was doing but it just didn't work for some reason. Guess I'll try again later.

PowderedToast

the story and character interactions in this game make no sense. i'm at sequence 4 and i have no clue what the fuck is going on. people seem to have established relationships, but you see no exposition for that - it's just assumed that you know

that's my big disappointment so far. i still dunno who aveline is or what the hell she's about

also the combat is truly horrible. other than that i'm very much enjoying myself

Finding a $50 psn card under my mattress, I decided to pick this up, I mean it is quite possibly the last western vita game I'll buy ever lol.

hmmm... how do you do the chain kill in this game?

The tutorials tend to disappear ridiculously quick depending on where ya at.

Chris_C

So after playing about 3 hours of AC3 and coming back to ACR, I appreciate the latter a lot more. Not saying that it's better than AC3, but seeing the PS3 struggle somewhat with Boston (and its wild inconsistency in terms of polish) made me more forgiving.

I can't help but look at RDR and consider that a more immersive experience in terms of an open world setting.

Also. ALL open world games need save anywhere.

EDIT: Wish Digital Foundry would do an article on Liberation.

Hobohodo

Hey guys, just a quick yes/no question.

Does the fact the game is 'developed' by Abstergo go anywhere/lead to some cool touches?

Vee_One

So any general consensus which is the better game? I picked up liberty and haven't played 3 yet. Are they both worth buying?

pwack

I'm about an hour or so in, still playing the initial "Lady" missions. When I have fun and go try and kill someone on a goof, I have a ton of difficulty with performing counters. What is going here? Is my timing bad? I do find it difficult to figure out when to hit "O". Is it just super difficult since I am wrist dagger versus bayonets?

OmegaZero

I'm about an hour or so in, still playing the initial "Lady" missions. When I have fun and go try and kill someone on a goof, I have a ton of difficulty with performing counters. What is going here? Is my timing bad? I do find it difficult to figure out when to hit "O". Is it just super difficult since I am wrist dagger versus bayonets?

Hit O when you see the red triangle flash over their heads.
I haven't had issues so far with counters while using the hidden blades.
Plus, holding O down makes you untouchable when fighting standard enemies.

Cheska

I'm working on about 4 hours of sleep so forgive me for not digging through all the pages for this, but there's an issue with the audio in this game right?

I mean...the quality is pretty bad, I even hooked up my headphones thinking I just couldn't hear well with people talking in the background. However, even at full volume I'm having a hard time hearing things as crisp as they are with other games.

Choc

Banned
Hey guys, just a quick yes/no question.

Does the fact the game is 'developed' by Abstergo go anywhere/lead to some cool touches?

early campaign spoiler
part of the campaign introduces the fact that Abstergo was built for entertainment and if you don't do certain things you don't get avallines true story

edit: fwiw i havent had audio problems and i am on the PSN not gamecard version

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm working on about 4 hours of sleep so forgive me for not digging through all the pages for this, but there's an issue with the audio in this game right?

I mean...the quality is pretty bad, I even hooked up my headphones thinking I just couldn't hear well with people talking in the background. However, even at full volume I'm having a hard time hearing things as crisp as they are with other games.
It's really compressed, the music doesn't loop, and sometimes the music doesn't even start up at all. This is honestly the first Vita game I've played with these issues so it isn't the system. It's the game.

Top Bottom