• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

apologies if this has been asked already (im sure it has)

if someone has never played an AC game before, will the story make sense? I played a couple hours of AC1 and found the engine/climbing to be awesome, but the game itself was pretty terrible. i've heard a lot of the problems i had with it were addressed in AC2 but i never got around to playing it

anyone know how to sync a top view of something? I go to the top of the eagle thing and theres no button to press that works to make the camera spin around and open up the map (like previous Assassin's creed games)

Downloaded this last night as I couldn't resist the discount. I would have done the same for NFSMW but, alas, EA is not into offering incentives.

I'm loving being able to play a legit Assassin's Creed game on a handheld. Very impressed with what I've played so far. I'm a very happy Vita owner

Twinduct

Yay the Framerate issues ain't that bad! Was expecting some terrible stutters, but it's like a make shift slow mo system ... kinda crazy how different the game looks on the vita (from the screenshots; Mainly talking about the jaggies).

Not that far in. The music compression is kinda sad. Normal sounds and stuff is fine, but the music sounds just so badly compressed. Kinda sad as the music sounds if it could be decent :/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Downloaded this last night as I couldn't resist the discount. I would have done the same for NFSMW but, alas, EA is not into offering incentives.

I'm loving being able to play a legit Assassin's Creed game on a handheld. Very impressed with what I've played so far. I'm a very happy Vita owner

Yeah, me too :)

Between this, VLR, Ragnarok and NFS I have a decent amount of recently released good titles to get through in the coming weeks.

Dawg

Nobody at sequence 9 mission 1 yet? :(

I really cannot figure out how to achieve 100% sync. It's killing me.

Save me, gaf.

OT: Can someone try change his subtitle language in the main menu and then continue their save again?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ragnarok!!!!!!!!

Sorta OT, but I am still trying to figure out how much content it has, which is directly related to the chance of me buying it sooner/at full price.

Dawg

Is it possible to reinstall a Vita game without losing the save? I believe my game is messes up since changing the subtitle language.

Toma

Is it possible to reinstall a Vita game without losing the save? I believe my game is messes up since changing the subtitle language.

Not yet anyway. Might be possible once/if PS+ allows Vita cloud saves. Other than that... not really.

Been in the bayou for a while now. My only complaint about the game so far is that the platforming isn't quite tight enough for the way the viewpoints are set up in the trees. They seem excessively high and I keep falling because of a wonky turn or jump...

Toma

Damn man, I just completed the game :(

Well, if you arent in a rush to play it again you could try backing up/restoring it via PS3 just for fun :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, me too :)

Between this, VLR, Ragnarok and NFS I have a decent amount of recently released good titles to get through in the coming weeks.
This is out already?! wtf, why did I think it was out next month?

Hope you enjoy VLR-- That game ended up being a GotY contender for me.

Toma

This is out already?! wtf, why did I think it was out next month?

Hope you enjoy VLR-- That game ended up being a GotY contender for me.
Yeah, released on the same day as AC:L. I might have bought Ragnarok instead had I known.

I actually consider 999/VLR one of the best new series of the current generation. Really quite original and stellar games. About halfway through all the timelines so far and a bit stuck in a certain room atm.

Duffyside

Banned
Just glancing at this thread, but this seems like one of those rare games where GAF likes it significantly more than reviewers did?

Anyone playing ACIII at the same time? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Grisby

Doesn't seem to be much town chatter but the music is great. I imagine this has a seperate ost then vanilla ac3 but man, want to buy it already.

Also, the tutorial misson text is flying by to fast for mine eyes. Story is flying by but I dig the setting.

Does this game have vsync?
Havent noticed any tearing. Frame rate is a little dicey but it's still amazing to me that in playing this on my couch.

Toma

Just glancing at this thread, but this seems like one of those rare games where GAF likes it significantly more than reviewers did?

Anyone playing ACIII at the same time? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

I'd say most would agree that the review average of 75 sounds fair, considering the technical flaws and bugs. Doesnt mean that 75 rated games cant be fun though. Still having a blast with it. Objectively, you got to be honest about the shortcomings though.

Doesn't seem to be much town chatter but the music is great. I imagine this has a seperate ost then vanilla ac3 but man, want to buy it already.

Also, the tutorial misson text is flying by to fast for mine eyes. Story is flying by but I dig the setting.
I actually have the problem that the 100% synch quest is always gone too fast. Any way to look it up within that mission?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It finally finished downloading and installing! Took forever on my job internet. Unfortunately, lunch break is over, so I have to wait until next break to play it. :(

Toma

So has the finicky framerate ever hurt gameplay like mess up timing for a jump or counter?

I'd say I got hit once because I couldnt judge the framerate drop properly, but the rest of the fight was sort of fine. Not like it led to a game over or something, but yes its definitely noticeable and distracting a bit.

Adam Blue

So far the combat is really boring so far, but I gotta say textures and draw-distance is awesome. I don't feel to connected to the character unfortunately, as the story isn't panning out as interesting yet.

I did an unboxing of the white Vita for my blog: White Vita unboxing

Disappointed AC bundle didn't come with the retail box.

Toma

Ah, so I have to backup the entire system and restore the entire system? Not just AC:L

You can choose to backup single items too. You do it from the content manager menu on your Vita.

Dawg

You can choose to backup single items too. You do it from the content manager menu on your Vita.

Thanks. Here's to hoping...sent Ubi a mail just in case.

If people want to avoid this, don't change the subtitle language. I could be wrong and ths could have happened randomly, but it happened right after changing that option.

Toma

Thanks. Here's to hoping...sent Ubi a mail just in case.

If people want to avoid this, don't change the subtitle language. I could be wrong and ths could have happened randomly, but it happened right after changing that option.

What exactly happened to you anyway? Game freezes?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My final review:

Graphics: Vita games are developing this weird look. Well, lots of Vita games, not all Vita games. You have high resolution textures in this weird low resolution overall image. The game looks pretty impressive on the Vita. The city is very detailed. Textures are very sharp. Some of the interiors look a little flat. Small details are there that you wouldn't expect on a last-gen console, but the geometry and lighting is often more in line with what you'd expect. Obvious sub-HD blur, but it doesn't look that bad when you're playing. Performance is pretty disappointing. New Orleans runs poorly. The Bayou and the other locations run pretty well.

Story: The game does feel a bit chopped up. Some key facts are hidden as revelations (from killing "Citizen E"s around the game world) and some just feel missing entirely. I think the characters are well done and the story is strongest when it is (beyond lightly) touching on issues of gender and race. I can't say I'm really sure what the hell happened in the game though. Really just feels like exposition is missing.

Audio: Everyone knows about the compression. The score itself is pretty nice.

Mission variety: Pretty good. There's a nice mixture of platforming, stealth/stealthy missions, action missions, and so on. Two big platforming missions are FANTASTIC.

Persona system: Kinda annoying. No one wants to play as Lady. She walks slow. I just played entirely (when possible) as Assassin because I liked using the gun and she runs fast. w00 w00

Combat: Pretty much standard AC fare. The chain attack is nice. It cuts down on AC combat, which is good since AC combat is bad.

Vita features: Mostly fine (I liked opening the letters, lol), but "point your Vita at a bright light" can go DIAF. I am playing in the dark. This is just awful.

I guess I don't have a ton to say. It's Assassin's Creed. It feels exactly like console AC. Some missions are shorter...the worlds are smaller...there's less overall content...but it's a surprisingly competent effort from Ubisoft Sofia. My only real negative is that the story is bizarre/confusing/garbage and the whole
Avelline's mom plot
makes no sense at all and has no emotional impact. And the performance sucks, but that's par for the AC course. Platforming in the trees is really fun.

Looking forward to Ubisoft Sofia being added to the Assassin's Creed yearly-game-grinder that Ubisoft runs. EZIO DEATH MARCH ONWARDS

Pimpbaa

My final review:

Graphics: Vita games are developing this weird look. Well, lots of Vita games, not all Vita games. You have high resolution textures in this weird low resolution overall image.

Er, this isn't weird at all. This is just games running at a lower resolution than the native resolution of the screen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Er, this isn't weird at all. This is just games running at a lower resolution than the native resolution of the screen.

I don't think you've got exactly what I mean, so it could be my fault. I know the game is subHD and I know what that looks like, but the combination of plentiful VRAM plus mobile processors is creating a very specific Vita "look." I think the hardware is sort of in a weird spot generationally. The 3D action games on the Vita are all starting to have the look created by this combination.

Dawg

What exactly happened to you anyway? Game freezes?

I start up story -> continue -> aveline appears for two seconds in animus -> disappears -> ubisoft logo (game restarts)

After that, WiFi gets disabled and near items/MP can't be accessed.

However, if I shutdown the game and choose MP instead of SP, it works flawless. As soon as I start SP however, my game is fubar

Toma

I start up story -> continue -> aveline appears for two seconds in animus -> disappears -> ubisoft logo (game restarts)

After that, WiFi gets disabled and near items/MP can't be accessed.

However, if I shutdown the game and choose MP instead of SP, it works flawless. As soon as I start SP however, my game is fubar

That indeed sounds bad :/

B.O.O.M

Was here when I got home. Put an hour into it.

Games really good so far. Graphics are really nice, town looks amazing as do the views.

The bugs are funny (saw someone morph into another person as he walked by.

Frame rate is the only disappointment. It's clearly sub 30fps in the city. Not game breaking at all but def noticeable.

Rest feels very assassins creed like so far.

The TRUE Assassin

ascii42

Has anyone else had trouble connecting to the PS3? I plug it in, and the "Connected to Vita" screen appears on the PS3, and Content Manager works fine, but Liberation tells me that it cannot connect to the PS3.

Massa

So, uh, how do you send a ship from one port to another? What I thought I did before doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.

SmithnCo

Played for about an hour or so, I really like it so far. The persona stuff is ineteresting and the setting/MC are cool as well so far.

Takes a toll on the battery though, to be expected.

Top Bottom