• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Balphon

So I'm playing right now... am I having a mental breakdown or did they get the date of the Declaration of Independence wrong? LOLOL

Yes; seems like they confused it for the date Congress appointed Washington Commander-in-Chief. But even if they'd used the correct date people would still think they'd gotten it wrong, so I guess that's some consolation?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Maybe I'm just on a high cause I just finished the Fort Wolcott mission... that was the best one so far!

Mesoian

Welp, finished the single player.

Just my opinion, but this is by far the weakest Assassin's Creed game to date. They need to go a lot harder with whatever's coming out next year, because AC3 was flacid at best.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
At of curiosity, what are casual or non-AC fans think of AC3?
I honestly haven't been able to top the 8-10 hour mark in any of the previous games without just moving on to something else. I'm about 15 hours or so into AC3 and I think it may be my favorite one, but I wasn't a die hard so a lot of the "changes" to the series don't bother me. It kind of makes it easier to play.

I like Connor, but I agree Ezio is a more interesting character. And the map and menu design is terrile. But the world feels more alive and is a blast to traverse, it's gorgeous and there's so much (too much, in fact), to do. I wonder if that's mostly because I'm not a die hard though.

I'd say I'm a big fan of the series(got 100% in AC1 and 2, only stopped at brohood on because that full synch stuff has always been BS) and think 3 is the best in the series. It really did need a couple more months of polish to really smooth out, but I luckily never had any bugs cause me to mess up a mission, it was just a lot of minor stuff that took me out of it.

John Harker

One thing I can't figure out yet, when it says DEFEND YOUR CONVOY - where the hell is it usually? I can't find it on a map, and it gives me like 3 minutes to protect it. I've never managed to save one in danger.

Noi

One thing I can't figure out yet, when it says DEFEND YOUR CONVOY - where the hell is it usually? I can't find it on a map, and it gives me like 3 minutes to protect it. I've never managed to save one in danger.

They all show up in the Frontier, regardless of where you are.

Yes; seems like they confused it for the date Congress appointed Washington Commander-in-Chief. But even if they'd used the correct date people would still think they'd gotten it wrong, so I guess that's some consolation?
Didn't they explain the date in the additional info in the animus data base?

John Harker

They all show up in the Frontier, regardless of where you are.

Randomly located or can i fast travel there?

And say what you will about Connors outfit... he looks way better in it than this Ezio one I have him in, heh

Replicant

Maybe because I'm completely angry that I'm tempted to go hyperbole but I feel that this is THE WORST game of the year. Yeah okay, maybe there's a Barbie Pony Ride game that is more awful than this. But for a AAA game, this is an awful game.

Let's start with the optional objectives, some of which completely contradicts the other and often hampered by shit-tastic slow-mo movement. What is it with games these days and slow-mo action scenes? ME3, RE6 and now this has portion of this BS gameplay. It's not fun and it's not cool. Control is completely borked. One moment you can do proper deflect/attack and another moment you can't. Running is a mess and who actually thought that chasing Almanacs across rooftop is fun?

Then we have Connor, the biggest tool and dumbass excuse for protagonist ever. I cringe every time he has to do fetch jobs for some historical figures who sees him like he's some kind of a slave/animal to them. It'd have been fine if he actually has some kind of awareness of this but half of the time he thinks he's doing the right thing and being super righteous about it all. Not to mention he pouts all the time. Worst AC protagonist ever. He makes Desmond looks like a richly-written character.

Maybe because I'm completely angry that I'm tempted to go hyperbole but I feel that this is THE WORST game of the year. Yeah okay, maybe there's a Barbie Pony Ride game that is more awful than this. But for a AAA game, this is an awful game.
AC III is a masterpiece compared with Diablo 3.

winstano

What the absolute shitting fuck is all this business with
pivots
?! Yet another thing thrown in with a poor explanation (unless I've missed a huge chunk?)

I hate this game. AC II was the best, then they had to mutilate the series with this fucking 100% full synchronisation crap. And those bugs... smh. this game is such a mess. So many times I just wanted to throw my controller at the TV...

Gemüsepizza;44287400 said:
I hate this game. AC II was the best, then they had to mutilate the series with this fucking 100% full synchronisation crap. And those bugs... smh. this game is such a mess. So many times I just wanted to throw my controller at the TV...

You do not have to 100% sync objectives. That is like complaining about achievements and that it is almost impossible to get. It has absolutely nothing to do with the actual game. Ubisoft just wants to 'encourage' you for trying something different.

You do not have to 100% sync objectives. That is like complaining about achievements and that it is almost impossible to get. It has absolutely nothing to do with the actual game. Ubisoft just wants to 'encourage' you for trying something different.

I know that I don't have to complete them. But I hate how bad they are. I prefer how they implemented them in Revelations, they were moderately hard and you did not need to complete so many objectives. AC3 feels like a step backwards, and they are pretty unforgiving. It justs sucks to get a "you failed!" after every mission. This is bad game design.

Replicant

Gemüsepizza;44287400 said:

I have to breathe in and out and constantly remind myself that my TV is brand-new and is awesome and it's not its mistake that THIS GAME SUCKS!!!

Mind you, I managed to 100% sync so far (sequence 8 completed) but it's not without Captain Haddock's level of swearing. Just when I thought the next sequence's 100% sync can't be worse, the game proved me wrong. Sequence 8 is the worst so far.

Also, I'm already this far and I still don't know if I'm actually supposed to upgrade my weapon or not. I don't think I've stumbled onto a weapon shop or even clothing shop apart from the 1st weapon shop, which I can't find its location anymore. I used to assassin in style in AC2, ACB, and ACR. Now, I look like a beggar who wears stinky clothes day in, day out.

And Connor is such a pathetic lapdog. I'm so embarrassed playing as him.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I have to breathe in and out and constantly remind myself that my TV is brand-new and is awesome and it's not its mistake that THIS GAME SUCKS!!!

Mind you, I managed to 100% sync so far (sequence 8 completed) but it's not without Captain Haddock's level of swearing. Just when I thought the next sequence's 100% sync can't be worse, the game proved me wrong. Sequence 8 is the worst so far.

Also, I'm already this far and I still don't know if I'm actually supposed to upgrade my weapon or not. I don't think I've stumbled onto a weapon shop or even clothing shop apart from the 1st weapon shop, which I can't find its location anymore. I used to assassin in style in AC2, ACB, and ACR. Now, I look like a beggar who wears stinky clothes day in, day out.

And Connor is such a pathetic lapdog. I'm so embarrassed playing as him.

There are no weapon or clothing stores, it's all done from the general stores. They appear on the map as '£'.

Mind blown. After way over 10h I finally found out that I could send my assassins to protect my convoy.

Wat.

I've just realized I didn't give a damn about AC III anymore so I just read the plot on Wikipedia.

The ending doesn't justify stretching the story over five goddamn games. Jesus.

conman

At of curiosity, what are casual or non-AC fans think of AC3?
I honestly haven't been able to top the 8-10 hour mark in any of the previous games without just moving on to something else. I'm about 15 hours or so into AC3 and I think it may be my favorite one, but I wasn't a die hard so a lot of the "changes" to the series don't bother me. It kind of makes it easier to play.
The "changes" aren't the problem. Much of what they were trying to do could have been great.

The problem is the bugs upon glitches upon bugs, the poor design implementations (especially stealth and detection), the lack of guidance or explanation of key systems, and the almost total absence of any continuity editing of the script/writing. If they'd had another 6-12 months of iteration and polish, this could have easily been the best game in the series. But in its current state, it's one of the biggest disasters of AAA gaming this generation.

Tex117

Banned
But it was so obvious from the beginning that Haytham was Connor's father. It would have been extremely difficult keeping that an unknown until the end of the game.

Of course, but it didn't have to be a big reveal to the PLAYER, it would have been a big reveal to the character...the story would have been how the character reacted.

I think Haytham finding out that Conner was his kid would have been a great twist...actually show remorese...actually give some dimension...especially if Haytham was really a double agent (but thats the dreaming part)...

SxP

Damn, just got a desync for equipping my dagger. Not a warning first to not kill anyone and a desync upon killing someone. Just desynchronized: wrong weapon used. Very annoying.

conman

Damn, just got a desync for equipping my dagger. Not a warning first to not kill anyone and a desync upon killing someone. Just desynchronized: wrong weapon used. Very annoying.
The requirements for 100% sync on some missions are even worse. Totally arbitrary "guess what we're thinking" type constraints. I'd rather play 20 questions with a four year old than waste hours trying to figure out what some of the AC3 team's obtuse and unguessable requirements mean.

SxP

The requirements for 100% sync on some missions are even worse. Totally arbitrary "guess what we're thinking" type constraints. I'd rather play 20 questions with a four year old than waste hours trying to figure out what some of the AC3 team's obtuse and unguessable requirements mean.

Yeah, I quickly gave up on those. Probably saved me a lot of rage.

Amir0x

Banned
Fuck, I just did this mission and it took me 30 tries for a 100% sync in one go. Connor won't climb up the stupid boat correctly, everyone sees you no matter where you pop up, and sometimes you have to slightly trigger them seeing you, and then jump off the boat. And then, after you do everything right, maybe you'll have bad luck and the grenadier will block your attack, or Connor will hop onto the boat to assassinate a guard instead of pulling them off the side of a ship like a competent assassin (Ezio).

Yeah, that's what makes it harder. This game is such a sloppy, unmitigated disaster bug/glitch-wise that it basically makes it impossible for me to believe they didn't know the state it was in. It glitches out EVERY FIVE SECONDS.

And worse, the pop-in... who thought this was acceptable? Whole crowds of people just disappear off the face of the Earth forever sometimes too. i'll be walking past them and POOF all gone. Not just too-far-away-for-pop-in gone, but just gone. Whole regiments of red coats marching and then gone. Whole groups of Patriots popping in when I'm just like 10 feet away from them.

I enjoy doing full sync (makes me feel badass to achieve this), but I have to say that the bug nastiness in this title makes it far more infuriating than past AC games.

I cannot wait to see what state their PC port is in.

My arrows keep disappearing as well... :(

Not only my arrows, but sometimes my smoke bombs and snares and my bait too (my bait disappears like every five minutes). It's a good thing this stuff is cheap, but really... out of your thousand man development team, you couldn't stomach the budget for like 2 QA testers who could catch something that happens so often? What was Ubisoft thinking for the QA in this mess...

You do not have to 100% sync objectives. It has absolutely nothing to do with the actual game. Ubisoft just wants to 'encourage' you for trying something different.

Yeah, I think especially if you play it any way you want to the first try, it's fun challenge to try to go back and complete missions with specific guidelines. Just wish the bugs... you know what, broken record now lol

SJRB

Gold Member
And worse, the pop-in... who thought this was acceptable? Whole crowds of people just disappear off the face of the Earth forever sometimes too. i'll be walking past them and POOF all gone. Not just too-far-away-for-pop-in gone, but just gone. Whole regiments of red coats marching and then gone. Whole groups of Patriots popping in when I'm just like 10 feet away from them.

If you ride a horse at full speed through Boston or New York you can almost see the game's engine saying "fuck thit shit, I quit".

conman

Yeah, that's what makes it harder. This game is such a sloppy, unmitigated disaster bug/glitch-wise that it basically makes it impossible for me to believe they didn't know the state it was in. It glitches out EVERY FIVE SECONDS.
My guess is that they really had to prioritize their QA and just focus on getting the main missions okay and not bother with everything else or with the 100% sync stuff. That's enough to squeak by most reviewers (because reviewers always look for the fastest, quickest way through a game) and to get by most gamers (who chew through games quickly and often don't bother with all the extras, side missions, animus entries, 100% sync options, etc.).

For me, it was most noticeable in the frontier areas. Every time I'd be setting traps for animals, half of the animals would just disappear once they got to the bait or snare or whatever.

Eideka

Banned
So, when PC launches, it will include ALL of the console patches out at the time (so, that includes any patches we might be releasing in between now and PC launch). In addition, PC has a special patch designed to ensure that everything runs as smoothly as possible.

We've added extra DX11 support for the PC version, so you'll notice some significant increases in texture resolution (double-res in most cases, but quadruple in some), TESSELLATION (which is like, the new DX11 hotness) and some other shader improvements that will have an impact

Interesting.

Eideka

Banned
So, the PC version will come with additional patches, both those that have been or are just about to be released on consoles as well as some specific for the PC. I would say it will be less buggy than the console versions AT CONSOLE LAUNCH, but that the console and PC versions will be comparable at PC launch
Good.

really, we've added a lot more detail to the PC version and support for DX11. Stuff that we didn't really need to think about for the console versions. Considering the amount we're adding, you aren't really going to end up waiting all that long (not even a month!)
Good²

rvy

Banned
Ubisoft devs like Hutchinson just did a "ask me anything" on Reddit

Be weary of spoilers and whatever it is you find on Reddit.

edit: patch coming "very soon", entering certification any day now. More info again "very soon", possibly even within a week.

Hood, hood, hood, hood. Jesus Christ, gamers are fucking idiots. This game is a buggy mess, with a bunch of issues, and all people care about is asking for a hood fix. And the Dev team seem to be looking for specific feedback on what issues people have with the game.
God damn it, Reddit users. You suck.

conman

Ubisoft devs like Hutchinson just did a "ask me anything" on Reddit

Be weary of spoilers and whatever it is you find on Reddit.

edit: patch coming "very soon", entering certification any day now. More info again "very soon", possibly even within a week.
I really want to believe that the PC version will somehow fix everything that's wrong with this game. I'd even settle for fixing only most things. And I do wish there was a way to un-read the glitched plot spoilers in the animus logbook...

I have poor framerate in cities, but it seems like people are having abysmall fps? Like near 1-5 fps? I haven't experienced that. Also I found that my FPS is almost good if you have quicksaving off in cities, which I think was a similar problem in previous AC games.

ACR still wins for the worst framerate. Plus it had the worst screen-tearing in a game I've played. And more bugs than AC3 for me...
I really want to believe that the PC version will somehow fix everything that's wrong with this game. I'd even settle for fixing only most things. And I do wish there was a way to un-read the glitched plot spoilers in the animus logbook...

What is that glitch? So when you're playing all the sudden a notification will come up like, Unlocked Codex Entry"
Haythem is a templar
"? That fuckin sucks

Amir0x

Banned
Re: Framerate

The framerate is true garbage everywhere I go, but at least the frontier is not stab myself in the face bad...

If you ride a horse at full speed through Boston or New York you can almost see the game's engine saying "fuck thit shit, I quit".

Hahaha, oh yeah. And add some weather effects while you're doing that, and the game commits Seppuku on the spot. Literally... my game crashed and froze my system three times so far mid-trot during a storm.

My guess is that they really had to prioritize their QA and just focus on getting the main missions okay and not bother with everything else or with the 100% sync stuff. That's enough to squeak by most reviewers (because reviewers always look for the fastest, quickest way through a game) and to get by most gamers (who chew through games quickly and often don't bother with all the extras, side missions, animus entries, 100% sync options, etc.).

For me, it was most noticeable in the frontier areas. Every time I'd be setting traps for animals, half of the animals would just disappear once they got to the bait or snare or whatever.

I honestly think this game is so buggy even a quick playthrough of the game would manifest many of the worst offenders. It's pretty much a betrayal of game "journalists" job that they didn't do a more vigilant job of pointing out the extremely over-the-top problems this game has.

I will say that I still like the game, I like it pretty well. But it could have been so much more and you can't help but stare at the final product knowing what it could have been. It just never turns into the game it should be. And it's always so tantalizingly close.

Top Bottom