• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Noi

What is that glitch? So when you're playing all the sudden a notification will come up like, Unlocked Codex Entry"
Haythem is a templar
"? That fuckin sucks

When you get the updated entry for Connor's mother, it spoils that Haytham is a Templar, that he's Connor's father, and that Washington was the one who ordered the village burned down, not Charles Lee.

conman

ACR still wins for the worst framerate. Plus it had the worst screen-tearing in a game I've played. And more bugs than AC3 for me...
Seriously? ACR had the best framerate and was by far the most technologically polished of the first four games. Hands down. It even had great AI (though still far from perfect). I just recently played through the AC2 trilogy again in preparation for AC3's release. And, no doubt, ACR is the most technically polished of the bunch (on 360).

What is that glitch? So when you're playing all the sudden a notification will come up like, Unlocked Codex Entry"
Haythem is a templar
"? That fuckin sucks
Pretty much exactly that. The first two updated entries for Connor's mother tell you first that
Haytham is a Templar
and then that
George Washington is the one that razed your village and killed your mother
. I got the update notices in the corner of the screen within the first couple hours. And I've always loved the historical stuff, so I always read those right when I get the notice. It totally ruined the game's story for me. I was pissed. And I'm sure you can imagine why I've been on a tirade against this game's bugs/glitches ever since.

Apparently, I'm not the only one this happened to. Some folks have claimed that this is, in fact, a universal glitch. It's just that other people aren't total history nerds like me that read those entries voraciously. It's yet one more way that the AC team shoved a finger up their most dedicated fans' rear ends.

Seriously? ACR had the best framerate and was by far the most technologically polished of the first four games. Hands down. It even had great AI (though still far from perfect).
Oh god. We differ here... I guess it's just really YMMV. ACR was almost unplayable for me.

I'd put in terms of polish/bugs/framerate/screen-tearing ect

AC1 > ACB > AC3 > AC2 > Dead Squirrel > ACR

Pretty much exactly that. The first two updated entries for Connor's mother tell you first that
Haytham is a Templar
and then that
George Washington is the one that razed your village and killed your mother
. I got the update notices in the corner of the screen within the first couple hours. And I've always loved the historical stuff, so I always read those right when I get the notice. It totally ruined the game's story for me. I was pissed. And I'm sure you can imagine why I've been on a tirade against this game's bugs/glitches ever since.

Apparently, I'm not the only one this happened to. Some folks have claimed that this is, in fact, a universal glitch to how the updates work.

Ohhh you have to read the entry. I thought it popped up in the notification. Why would you do that! I never read any bio's about the characters until I'm done w/ the game. But yea, they could have left some of that out of there.

conman

Ohhh you have to read the entry. I thought it popped up in the notification. Why would you do that! I never read any bio's about the characters until I'm done w/ the game. But yea, they could have left some of that out of there.
Why wouldn't I do that?! How can that possibly be my fault? That falls squarely on the shoulders of the AC team who completely botched the launch of this game. Who spoils their game by putting major plot twists in their codices? Especially when you get regular notices of updates and additions popping up on the screen! There's no excuse.

Imagine if one of the Mass Effect games put the end of the game into a codex entry that popped up within the first few hours of playing. There'd be hell to pay. It's amazing to me that anyone is defending this game in its current state. It's a total f-u to fans of the series.

Why wouldn't I do that?! How can that possibly be my fault? That falls squarely on the shoulders of the AC team who completely botched the launch of this game. Who spoils their game by putting major plot twists in their codices? Especially when you get regular notices of updates and additions popping up on the screen! There's no excuse.

Imagine if one of the Mass Effect games put the end of the game into a codex entry that popped up within the first few hours of playing. There'd be hell to pay. It's amazing to me that anyone is defending this game in its current state. It's a total f-u to fans of the series.

Nah, it isn't. You just seem to be really sour about the entire thing... I understand being upset about a lot of the problems (because there are those), but you act like the game has some personal vendetta against you. Does it? That would suck.

But even in Mass Effect I try not to listen to the codex of things I'm not familiar w/ yet. Because they'd actually spoil things like the rachni, saren indoctrination ect. But I can't see why they would need to include that
George Washington burnt down Connors village, that seems excessive. Hopefully it's addressed

News Bot

Banned
The story is so badly done. Not interesting or engaging at all. All of the elements that would have made it great if done properly were just glossed over.

Hard to believe this game was in production since ACII. Brotherhood blows it to pieces in sheer execution.

conman

Nah, it isn't. You just seem to be really sour about the entire thing... I understand being upset about a lot of the problems (because there are those), but you act like the game has killed your puppy at times. Did it?! I'd be pissed as well!
It's my favorite series in gaming. To say my expectations were "high" would be an understatement. It's a series that hits all the right buttons for me. It brings together my love for cultural history, political philosophy, stealth games, adventure games, action games, and open-world games under the same roof. So far, it's a series that has continued to meet my (admittedly lofty) expectations. AC3 has fallen far short in terms of its technology, design, mechanics, story, and themes. Might it be restored through a series of patches? Maybe. But at this point, I'd almost rather see them put some of that energy into making the follow-up into the game that this one isn't. I'll check back in on AC3 in six months or so. But in the meantime, I'm venting and trying to articulate (to myself and others) exactly what it is that this game isn't doing right.

So am I overreacting? I don't think so. It's not like I'm calling for anyone's resignation or anything. Yes, I'm pissed off about the spoilers (justifiably, I think). But as for the rest, I'm simply incredibly disappointed, and I feel like the series deserves better. It's a sub-sub-quality release in a series with a stellar track record. To see it in a state well below any acceptable quality standards for any major release (let alone for the AC series) does serious harm to the franchise and to its fanbase.

Noi

So am I overreacting? I don't think so. It's not like I'm calling for anyone's resignation or anything. Yes, I'm pissed off about the spoilers (justifiably, I think). But as for the rest, I'm simply incredibly disappointed, and I feel like the series deserves better. It's a sub-sub-quality release in a series with a stellar track record. To see it in a state well below any acceptable quality standards for any major release (let alone for the AC series) does serious harm to the franchise and to its fanbase.

You aren't over-reacting over way too early being spoilers placed in a codex that's readily accessible at any point and the game gives you a quick button press to go straight for the entry when you unlock it. Simply going "Well, you shouldn't be reading those!" is a terrible counter-argument.

Replicant

Hard to believe this game was in production since ACII. Brotherhood blows it to pieces in sheer execution.

Oh God, I love Brotherhood. The final chapter of that game ("Apple of the Eden") is one of the most intense, frustrating yet rewarding 100% sync. It helps that the background music "The Brotherhood Escapes" gives a sense of frantic madness. Also the setting of Brotherhood and Revelations just shit all over the place of AC3. I'd never buy another AC game set in American Revolution timeline. Call me when we get to China or Japan.

iNvid02

this setting does have its advantages, but for me you cant top rome with its sprawling landmarks. the series is based on social stealth, and the density of rome was perfect for that. the wide streets and lack of tall structures in ac3 were refreshing for a bit, but ultimately hurt the game imo.

victorian london could work well

Victorian_London_1.jpeg

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
this setting does have its advantages, but for me you cant top rome with its sprawling landmarks. the series is based on social stealth, and the density of rome was perfect for that. the wide streets and lack of tall structures in ac3 were refreshing for a bit, but ultimately hurt the game imo.

Victorian_London_1.jpeg

I want a Batman game set in Victorian London where you play as Lord Wayne and go after the Joker who is Jack the Ripper.

I think it could work as a setting. Connor going there to strike at the heart of the templars.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Uh... any tips for chasing down thomas hickey without bumping into the crowd.

I'm having some trouble with this... and it's one of the only times I've gotten a little annoyed with the game. I find 95% of the game fun, but this section is testing the patience a bit. Especially now that my checkpoint is right in the middle of guards. They usually hit me as I turn to run, and if I get away clean they'll often get a shot in... probably about 20x I've restarted this. He runs as fast as I do and the game throws stuff in front of me at every turn. Then you add in the length of the chase (thanks to the distance the unfavorable checkpoint spots him) and it's becoming quite annoying haha.

I've gotten close a couple times and then shit happens. I thought to use my ropeblade but it's not hot keyed... going into the menu lags a little bit and he gets space, and then when I pop out of the menu Conner is full stop, and has to start running again... lengthening the gap.

This is... not fun.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

I'm having some trouble with this... and it's one of the only times I've gotten a little annoyed with the game. I find 95% of the game fun, but this section is testing the patience a bit. Especially now that my checkpoint is right in the middle of guards. They usually hit me as I turn to run, and if I get away clean they'll often get a shot in... probably about 20x I've restarted this. He runs as fast as I do and the game throws stuff in front of me at every turn. Then you add in the length of the chase (thanks to the distance the unfavorable checkpoint spots him) and it's becoming quite annoying haha.

I've gotten close a couple times and then shit happens. I thought to use my ropeblade but it's not hot keyed... going into the menu lags a little bit and he gets space, and then when I pop out of the menu Conner is full stop, and has to start running again... lengthening the gap.

This is... not fun.

You need to take shortcuts to get him but as for getting 100% I can't help you. I had enough trouble completing it in the first place.

Noi

This is... not fun.

You've gotta figure out a shortcut to lead you right in front of him, all the while not running if you're about to bump into someone. I know one that works most of the time, but it's pretty hard to describe via text. If you give me a moment, I'll boot the game up and type it out as I go.

Evolved1

You've gotta figure out a shortcut to lead you right in front of him, all the while not running if you're about to bump into someone. I know one that works most of the time, but it's pretty hard to describe via text. If you give me a moment, I'll boot the game up and type it out as I go.

Don't go through the trouble on my account... I'll just bring up the map and figure it out. Looking for a shortcut was advice enough, thanks.

Slightly embarrassed I didn't think of it.

conman

Fantastic point. The series depends on an urban atmosphere to make sense--both mechanically and thematically. They seem to have gotten sidetracked by the whole "frontier" thing. But that's not what defines the series, and it doesn't play to the series' mechanical strengths. "Social stealth" makes no sense when there's no real "society" to speak of.

The ship stuff was great, but it seems like it might make more sense as a totally different IP. Nothing very "assassin" like about a big naval vessel.

This is... not fun.

You're in that other thread whining about how people are whining about this game, yet you're only up to there?

That part's easy. At the beginning of the chase, run into the alley and keep going straight ahead when he turns (ducking under a washing line and so on). Eventually, you'll see a staircase in front of you, run around it, run across the street into the next alley and you'll run straight into him as he emerges from another alley. Tackle and you're done.

You're in that other thread whining about how people are whining about this game, yet you're only up to there?

That part's easy. At the beginning of the chase, run into the alley and keep going straight ahead when he turns (ducking under a washing line and so on). Eventually, you'll see a staircase in front of you, run around it, run across the street into the next alley and you'll run straight into him as he emerges from another alley. Tackle and you're done.

So people can't lever criticisms about a game because they didn't beat it yet?

Victorian_London_1.jpeg

Yes please in all honesty.

Evolved1

Thank you for your post.

And I'm not "whining" about anything. I have also stated on more than one occasion where I am in the game... just getting to New York. Though I've somehow played it already more than 40 hours. But I have pretty much all side missions/secondary objectives/ naval battles/ homestead and forts completed that are available.

Again, thanks for your advice, but you've mischaracterized my posts in the ACIII threads.

I haven't been critical... quite positive actually.

My posts in the other thread have to do with my personal choice to disregard any of the heavy negativity I read on gaf about any game. And that I don't personally find the criticism useful, so choose to ignore it.

People can post whatever they want.

Noi

Loading up the game again had the game drop to zero FPS once as the Homestead loaded and once more when I paused to go into the DNA tracker. Yay!

I was also reminded me of how much I hate constant tailing sequences. In this and any "stealth" game.

Anyhoo, for Evolved, a slightly more detailed form of what LiquidSolid posted above:

Immediately start running after Hickey as soon as you're in control. Follow him into the Alley, but instead of turning right when he does, keep running forward past the fances and the hanging laundry. Exit right when you can, then immediately turn left to exit to a street. Turn left as you run down the street, running parallel to where Hickey is. Stop when you reach the Haycart and wait in front of the alley exit to it's right: Hickey should turn the corner and pop up, allowing you to just run towards him and tackle.

Evolved1

Loading up the game again had the game drop to zero FPS once as the Homestead loaded and once more when I paused to go into the DNA tracker. Yay!

I was also reminded me of how much I hate constant tailing sequences. In this and any "stealth" game.

Anyhoo, for Evolved, a slightly more detailed form of what LiquidSolid posted above:

Immediately start running after Hickey as soon as you're in control. Follow him into the Alley, but instead of turning right when he does, keep running forward past the fances and the hanging laundry. Exit right when you can, then immediately turn left to exit to a street. Turn left as you run down the street, running parallel to where Hickey is. Stop when you reach the Haycart and wait in front of the alley exit to it's right: Hickey should turn the corner and pop up, allowing you to just run towards him and tackle.

Thanks for taking the time... I'll post back with my success story. :)

Noi

Can someone explain what the hell pivots are/how I find them...I don't understand at all.

They're timed unlocks based on the Ubisoft servers. To find them, you first need to see where the Pivots you already have are located and pick them up via the Pivot map. Then:

1. You look at your list of Pivots to see which one has been revealed next.

2. Warp to the place where said pivot is.

3. Once there, you can place one of the three pivots you had from the start in the location you're standing. The idea is to place pivots to triangulate the location of the next pivot you need to find. It works like this:

3a. Place Pivot A on one end of the map. Quick travel to an opposing end and place Pivot B there. This should form a line across the Pivot map. The highlighted green area is where the Pivot you're looking for can be.

3b. Hoof it to a location inside the green area mentioned before and place Pivot C, which should form a triangle. If the highlighted area is inside it, then the pivot you're looking for is inside that triangle.

4. Continue to make the triangle smaller until you only have a small area to search and can easily find the pivot.

5. Wait for the timer to run down on the Pivot list so you can find the next one.

Alternatively, what I just typed in video form: Click.

The more pivots you find, the easier it becomes to find the next one since you have more pivots to use for finding them. the whole thing is dumb though.

They're timed unlocks based on the Ubisoft servers. To find them, you first need to see where the Pivots you already have are located and pick them up via the Pivot map. Then:

1. You look at your list of Pivots to see which one has been revealed next.

2. Warp to the place where said pivot is.

3. Once there, you can place one of the three pivots you have from the start in the location you're standing. The idea is to place pivots to triangulate the location of the next pivot you need to find. It works like this:

3a. Place Pivot A on one end of the map. Quick travel to an opposing end and place Pivot B there. This should form a line across the Pivot map. The highlighted green area is where the Pivot you're looking for can be.

3b. Hoof it to a location inside the green area mentioned before and place Pivot C, which should form a triangle. If the highlighted area is inside it, then the pivot you're looking for is inside that triangle.

4. Continue to make the triangle smaller until you only have a small area to search and can easily find the pivot.

5. Wait for the timer to run down on the Pivot list so you can find the next one.

Alternatively, what I just typed in video form: Click.

The more pivots you find, the easier it becomes to find the next one since you have more pivots to use for finding them. the whole thing is dumb though.

Thanks for the write up mate, appreciate it.

Just another thing the game does a poor job of explaining.

pargonta

what a terrible payoff for a 5 year journey.

just finished it. i had fun sometimes, but... that was pretty bad imo. (epic and ambitious for sure though, plus awesome ship battles of course.)

Brotherhood was the best for me. it always was, ever since that beautiful skybox really.
this has made me look back more fondly on AC1 even, and wish for a return to simplistic robes and the fly like an eagle philosophies. time to cut the filler and go back to basics. assassinations, blending, and climbing.

Man. I could have finally bought this today as the Wii U versions went on sale and I'll have the system on Sunday, but all the impressions and the other very negative thread really turned me off.

I know I've asked this already, but the game has been out a bit longer now so I imagine opinions may be more "level headed" than they were before--

Is this game worth $60?

For what it's worth, here are my rankings:

Assassin's Creed: 6/10
Assassin's Creed II: 9/10
Brotherhood: 8/10
Revelations: 7/10

My one's shorter though. No need to run down the street in parallel with him, just run straight across the street and he'll run out of the alley right when you get there.

What on earth are you talking about? I didn't say anything like that.

Noi

Is this game worth $60?

No.

Of course, YMMV, but until the game gets patched and we see what the end result of said patch is, I can't recommend the game to anyone.

My one's shorter though. No need to run down the street in parallel with him, just run straight across the street and he'll run out of the alley right when you get there.

Eh, I figured out mine and I thought it was reliable enough. Plus you don't risk running into anyone for the 100%.

Of course, YMMV, but until the game gets patched and we see what the end result of said patch is, I can't recommend the game to anyone.

My biggest points of excitement were exploring the frontier, taking in all the sights, and getting some twists in the story, advancements in the mythology. Does the game fail on these levels?

Noi

My biggest points of excitement were exploring the frontier, taking in all the sights, and getting some twists in the story, advancements in the mythology. Does the game fail on these levels?

The frontier is alright, and it sorta covers the taking in all the sights part. The cities aren't very pretty. The rest though? Eh.

The frontier is alright, and it sorta covers the taking in all the sights part. The cities aren't very pretty. The rest though? Eh.

Would you say the gameplay, mission structure, sidequests, etc.-- basically the general game design-- is not very good? Not even talking bugs here, this gen has made me relatively proficient in dealing with that sort of thing. Just how... functional it is.

Noi

Would you say the gameplay, mission structure, sidequests, etc.-- basically the general game design-- is not very good? Not even talking bugs here, this gen has made me relatively proficient in dealing with that sort of thing. Just how... functional it is.

The gameplay is as simplified as it's even been. Most actions have been reduced to a single context-sensitive button press, for better or worse, a lot of the mechanics have been changed in ways that still make no sense, and the optional objectives in missions simply don't mesh well with how the game works. Example: Every mission that lists "don't get detected" as a main or optional objective can go fuck itself, because stealth is terrible in the game.

Mission structure is passable. There's nice and pretty set pieces to look at, but if you were looking to play Assassin's Creed for the "Assassin" part, they've loosened the focus on that a lot. Connor's more of an errand boy for more important people, if anything.

Side content is almost all garbage. They're merely there to fill in pointless progress bars that give you shit for rewards. Feathers and Almanacs are never given a justification for being in the game. There's tedious Delivery requests where a random NPC just give you a grocery list of things to deliver to another random NPC with no context. Mail Deliveries work the same way. Assassination Contracts are the ultimate insult, you press circle next to an NPC, you're given a target to kill, and the target is always some random shmuck wandering around with no protection or even in a guarded area. And when I say random shmuck, I mean it. At least ACII pointed out that you were killing important Templar captains and stuff, but ACIII just has you killing these random people for no reason other than because it was in previous games. The only side missions that aren't worthless to do are the Homestead missions.

The naval stuff is mostly good. But like someone brought up a bit ago, commanding a huge ship in naval battles isn't very Assassin-like is it? They may as well have made that the main focus of the game and labeled it a spin-off or made it a separate IP entirely.

Bladenic

I enjoyed it a lot, though definitely rank it far below 2 and below B.

The naval missions were amazing though. More like that please.

Edit: this was supposed to go in the other topic but oh well

Amir0x

Banned

Mission structure is the biggest problem. So often the game basically gives you only one or two legitimate ways to go at someone, and it's also a lot of handholding. Frequently missions do not give you the freedom to approach how you like, and because this is an assassin game, it's a big problem.

But trust me, nothing can prepare you for the level of bugs this game has. Nothing. It is damn near unprecedented from a "AAA" title :p

I think a lot of the gameplay is a good foundation for the sure sequel, and the sidequests can be pretty rewarding.

The Frontier is, surprisingly, the most entertaining aspect to me, because the cities are so comparatively boring and there is a lot of variety to the traveling about the Frontier. And a lot LOT to find.

conman

just finished it. i had fun sometimes, but... that was pretty bad imo. (epic and ambitious for sure though, plus awesome ship battles of course.)

Brotherhood was the best for me. it always was, ever since that beautiful skybox really.
this has made me look back more fondly on AC1 even, and wish for a return to simplistic robes and the fly like an eagle philosophies. time to cut the filler and go back to basics. assassinations, blending, and climbing.
Speaking of, was anyone else bothered by the camera position in the leaps of faith in AC3? They ditched the Hitchcock-style camera technique (from Vertigo) that they used in all prior AC games.

It used to do a zoom out, pan forward which gives a real "lurch" to the gut. But in AC3 it just maintains the same over-the-shoulder camera position/distance as in the rest of the game. As a result, the leap and subsequent fall feel really dull in comparison to the other games. You don't get those awesome visceral lurches anymore. This is a nitpick, but it's sorely missed.

After nearly 200 hours spent doing those dives in the prior games, I would still get a lurch on some of the really high falls in AC1-ACR. Magical. None of that here.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
How about a game where you play in both Victorian London and Revolutionary France?!

I want a Batman game set in Victorian London where you play as Lord Wayne and go after the Joker who is Jack the Ripper.

I think it could work as a setting. Connor going there to strike at the heart of the templars.

I have bad news for you.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of, was anyone else bothered by the camera position in the leaps of faith in AC3? They ditched the Hitchcock-style camera technique (from Vertigo) that they used in all prior AC games.

It used to do a zoom out, pan forward which gives a real "lurch" to the gut. But in AC3 it just maintains the same over-the-shoulder camera position/distance as in the rest of the game. As a result, the leap and subsequent fall feel really dull in comparison to the other games. You don't get those awesome visceral lurches anymore. This is a nitpick, but it's sorely missed.

After nearly 200 hours spent doing those dives in the prior games, I would still get a lurch on some of the really high falls in AC1-ACR. Magical. None of that here.

Another little detail I miss, that was pretty awesome from the last games. Shame. I knew it felt different and worse than previous games somehow.

Agreed, to a certain extent. Subject 16 puzzles, tombs, and side missions are too awesome and were forgotten for this game. I know there is a way around the story to put the puzzles, like someone asking a favor for deciphering stuff and that. I miss those awesome puzzles with the conspiracies.

Also, I miss AC1 for its sandbox gameplay and its simplicity, but I also don't want to leave the blending with the crowd that was missing from that game.

Ubisoft has a lot to learn for the next AC, hopefully they are looking for feedback instead of looking at their bank accounts for that.

pargonta

Agreed, to a certain extent. Subject 16 puzzles, tombs, and side missions are too awesome and were forgotten for this game. I know there is a way around the story to put the puzzles, like someone asking a favor for deciphering stuff and that. I miss those awesome puzzles with the conspiracies.

Also, I miss AC1 for its sandbox gameplay and its simplicity, but I also don't want to leave the blending with the crowd that was missing from that game.

Ubisoft has a lot to learn for the next AC, hopefully they are looking for feedback instead of looking at their bank accounts for that.

I as well miss those puzzles, and would be excited to see all the side systems and missions come back in a more focused and relevant form. above all, what i meant (when saying AC3 made me remember AC1 fondly, even though it has it's fair share of issues as well) was a return to the assassin contract formula of the original. i really enjoyed having the list of targets, and those cinematic set piece climaxes were always at least interesting. as much as i loved the ezio open world formula for the last few years, i'd love a new reborn take on the core concepts. we shall see! 3 still has to run it's dlc course... maybe some of it is so off the wall bonkers as to be worth a look.

Epcott

So I'm playing AC3 on Wii U, and the voice audio track seems to be gltiched on my copy. There is no voice at all.

But how did you... who did you... wow!

Just beat the game. Man, I was playing and this is how I imagined the conclusion to go:
Des has sex with tech girl. Des free-runs all around modern city map. Or Conor goes to Mayan temple and finds something that ties to 12/21.

But instead it's
One big chase sequence, and then two guys at a table sharing a drink and knife, making faces and moving slow and sluggish like Old Snake vs Ocelot. Followed by a Moses/Jesus parallel and two higher beings squabbling like two ditzy hens.

I hope by next gen AC the game plays like a hybrid of Watchdogs/AC/Hitman.

Top Bottom