• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Noi

Guys I'm, having problems with the Animus Pivots. I haven't managed to find a single one, not even the 2 used to locate the rest.

When I go into the Pivots menu, the following message appears under the first one Pivot Iota:

"A new pivot has been scanned in undefined. Try to find it."

I have searched all over Boston and no sign of it.

On the Pivot map section of the menu I have 0 Pivot to find and 0 Pivot to plant on all the regions, Boston, NY and the Frontier.

Any help? Is my game glitched?

Unfortunately my power went out on the tutorial about pivots, and I couldn't see it. I have managed to see the tutorial on youtube but I can't still find a single Pivot or plant one...

I had the same thing happen to me. Quit out and restart the game. If you got "A new pivot has been scanned in undefined. Try to find it.", it means that the Ubisoft servers hiccuped when looking the info up. A restart should fix it.

JJD

I had the same thing happen to me. Quit out and restart the game. If you got "A new pivot has been scanned in undefined. Try to find it.", it means that the Ubisoft servers hiccuped when looking the info up. A restart should fix it.

Thanks man, I'll try that again but I have restarted the game at least 2 times already...

Is there any way to see the tutorial again? Maybe on the DNA menu?

Noi

Thanks man, I'll try that again but I have restarted the game at least 2 times already...

Is there any way to see the tutorial again? Maybe on the DNA menu?

Not that I know of. It could just be Ubisoft servers acting up, since the pivots are 100% online dependent. But I had the same thing happen to me, only my game froze during the tutorial so I had to turn off my PS3. :/

JJD

Not that I know of. It could just be Ubisoft servers acting up, since the pivots are 100% online dependent. But I had the same thing happen to me, only my game froze during the tutorial so I had to turn off my PS3. :/

I tried again and had the same message. I started the game one more time, now offline.

When I went to the Pivot menu I was told that I needed to press triangle to connect. I pressed the button and connected to the PSN, but nothing appeared in game. The same message asking me to press triangle to connect the game is still on my screen but I'm already online...

To make matters worse I just went to the leaderboards for the first time and I won't connect no matter what. Nothing appears in any of the categories.

A friend of mine told me that the game keeps track of the leaderboard online and notifications will pop up when you do something like: You're between the first 100 players on the Time Played category, but I've never had any notifications like that in 40 hours of game time.

It seems I just can't connect to Ubi servers and I'm probably screwed...

The funny part is that I can play the damned thing online...

well said. AC1 had a fantastic respect for the history and people it's based on. not to mention its exploration of morality and religion is some of the most insightful you can find in video games. the interactions you have with your victims are frequently provoking and sometimes even beautiful in their lyricism;

ACII removed all that, and you'd be fair to assume that nobody even noticed. that's the sad part.
Jup. Loved the dialog in AC1. It's really what stands out in the game and also the reason why its my most played entry in the series (and also my favourite).

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I'm 2 hours into the game and I have hit a loading screen and it crashes every time. Any ideas on a fix? I'm on xbox.

I have enough of this game. The story is nonsense, the gameplay is poor and now the game (PS3) crashed after another stupid chase sequence. I'm selling it.

So what's the verdict on saving side/alt missions until after the story missions? Do I lose out on the chance to complete as I remember reading or is there a solution to that issue or what? I've been reluctant to do anything.

conman

I'm 2 hours into the game and I have hit a loading screen and it crashes every time. Any ideas on a fix?
Yeah. Get out while you can. ;)

Seriously, though, if you're just starting the game, you may want to hold off until after they've released another patch or two. The crash bug you're experiencing is just the beginning. In the ten hours I played, I fell through the geometry a half dozen times, the camera got stuck looking at the sky for no reason, NPC companions got permanently stuck in animation loops a handful of times, I got stuck in a falling animation twice, and a few other similar issues requiring a restart.

Or you can do like I and others in this thread have done: sell your copy and buy a cheap/used one in 6 months once the game's been stabilized a bit more through patches. It's still early enough post-launch that you can get most of your money back. There's no reason Ubisoft should continue to make money off of a seriously busted game.

Noi

So what's the verdict on saving side/alt missions until after the story missions? Do I lose out on the chance to complete as I remember reading or is there a solution to that issue or what? I've been reluctant to do anything.

It's doable, but you have to commit to not doing any until you beat the game. The reasoning being, some side-missions have a random possibility of bugging out and being uncompletable, so you want to finish the game, backup your save and THEN start doing them.

JJD

I've just got to Sequence 5. How far am I in the game?

Almost at the middle story wise.

If you do only story missions I think the game would take 8 hours at max to complete.

But don't worry there are lots of side stuff to do. I'm around 40 hours with 99% completion and I probably won't get the rest because the fucking Pivots glitched on me...

Dave1988

I tried again and had the same message. I started the game one more time, now offline.

When I went to the Pivot menu I was told that I needed to press triangle to connect. I pressed the button and connected to the PSN, but nothing appeared in game. The same message asking me to press triangle to connect the game is still on my screen but I'm already online...

To make matters worse I just went to the leaderboards for the first time and I won't connect no matter what. Nothing appears in any of the categories.

A friend of mine told me that the game keeps track of the leaderboard online and notifications will pop up when you do something like: You're between the first 100 players on the Time Played category, but I've never had any notifications like that in 40 hours of game time.

It seems I just can't connect to Ubi servers and I'm probably screwed...

The funny part is that I can play the damned thing online...

I had the same problem as you. Gave up on it thinking that it glitched out on me but the next day when I booted up ACIII again the game magically fixed itself and I was able to collect the pivots. No idea why or how it fixed itself but it might happen to you too as it looks like the game has trouble connecting with the pivot server.

CyReN

Finally finished, this game was all over the place, I really disliked AC1 but loved AC 2/Bro/Rev. Something about this game pacing was weird or off. They should of cut the first 3-4 chapters into a cut scene or something. Once it got to
Connor
it took off, but still Connor isn't a likeable character in anyway, maybe I just loved Ezio character that much. The game environment and flow are REALLY good though. Surprised how much I liked the Naval combat too.

8/10

Amir0x

Banned
Finally finished, this game was all over the place, I really disliked AC1 but loved AC 2/Bro/Rev. Something about this game pacing was weird or off. They should of cut the first 3-4 chapters into a cut scene or something. Once it got to
Connor
it took off, but still Connor isn't a likeable character in anyway, maybe I just loved Ezio character that much. The game environment and flow are REALLY good though. Surprised how much I liked the Naval combat too.

8/10

I would buy a whole game of just Naval Battles with some fleshed out details and more options!

Best part of ACIII :p

CyReN

I would buy a whole game of just Naval Battles with some fleshed out details and more options!

Yea I was really surprised how much I liked it to be honest, when I first saw it I thought it was going to be terrible but as corny as it sounds I was at the edge of my chair when cannons start flying and I'm mashing my controller to duck down.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

Haythem in London showing how
he was turned
would be something I would buy.
(Although Connor's later interactions with him during the latter half of ACIII rather successfully destroy Haythem's potential as a multi-dimensional character.)

LiK

i mentioned that too. they could make a friggin' awesome pirate game from the ship engine. the water effects are incredible and the controls are simple. all they need to to is expand on that outside the battles and maybe spruce up the audio and it can be a new franchise.

Amir0x

Banned
Yea I was really surprised how much I liked it to be honest, when I first saw it I thought it was going to be terrible but as corny as it sounds I was at the edge of my chair when cannons start flying and I'm mashing my controller to duck down.

And that atmosphere, my god! Ducking as waves rumble over your deck, lighting flashing on your face. So sweet. And the music that plays during this scene ALWAYS gets me worked up.

It just needs some more options, and in a full game they can really get fancy with what they allow you to do. But I would be SO game to something like this. It's unlike anything else I've experienced in a videogame.

Thankfully a side quest in Assassin's Creed that isn't terribad, tower defense Revelations.

Haythem in London showing how
he was turned
would be something I would buy.
(Although Connor's later interactions with him during the latter half of ACIII rather successfully destroy Haythem's potential as a multi-dimensional character.)

ACIII has a way of doing that, doesn't it?

I would love a game that made use of the period that didn't appear like a check-list of history bulletpoints. But maybe next time. I expect the next AC game to be super polished by comparison.

Yes, I would love to be able to just sail the seas, find hidden coves and stop at many ports for missions and activities. But mostly I'd love just being at sea doing whatever, going wherever the wind takes me until danger approaches.

My only problem with naval battles is that the powder-storage shots are fucking terrible.

They'd be fine if you never had to do them for full-synch, but are impossibly inconsistent since you do.

conman

Seriously. Everything that took place on a ship was great. I wish they had built the game around the naval experience. Imagine a cross between Pirates! and ACB/ACR set on the colonial American coastline. Could have been so good.

So many "could have" components to this game.

Zephyrus

Banned
Am I the only one who actually enjoyed Haytham more than Connor?

Dude was so suave.

Really liked his no-nonsense attitude. Shame about him
being ruthless.

Amir0x

Banned
Seriously. Everything that took place on a ship was great. I wish they had built the game around the naval experience. Imagine a cross between Pirates! and ACB/ACR set on the colonial American coastline. Could have been so good.

So many "could have" components to this game.

Yes, I would love to be able to just sail the seas, find hidden coves and stop at many ports for missions and activities. But mostly I'd love just being at sea doing whatever, going wherever the wind takes me until danger approaches.

Come to think of it if the next AC game doesn't have Naval Battles I think I will deduct 1 point by default :p

Yeah, a really full fleshed out naval game would be incredible like this. Riding around to different ports picking up cargo, trying to make sure the cargo stays mostly in tact while pirates try to raid you.

They could flesh it out by you being able to board other ships and try to take their cargo, and having some sort of economy that keeps it all together. And a home base which you could build up the more you obtain wealth.

Oh yeah let's make this game guys

Come to think of it if the next AC game doesn't have Naval Battles I think I will deduct 1 point by default :p

Yeah, a really full fleshed out naval game would be incredible like this. Riding around to different ports picking up cargo, trying to make sure the cargo stays mostly in tact while pirates try to raid you.

They could flesh it out by you being able to board other ships and try to take their cargo, and having some sort of economy that keeps it all together. And a home base which you could build up the more you obtain wealth.

+1

The visuals and camera as well the execution sells the gameplay to me. There may be top down pirate sims out there but I want what this game offers but on a grander scale

rataven

Not at all. Haytham is awesome. There's something about his proper British gentlemanliness that makes him way more fun as an assassin than Connor (though I dig him too).

If they expand on the ACIII universe at all, they need to start with a prequel centered around Haytham and his
training, induction, and defection from the assassin order
. Would buy the hell out of that game.

Carbonox

Not at all. Haytham is awesome. There's something about his proper English gentlemanliness that makes him way more fun as an assassin than Connor (though I dig him too).

If they expand on the ACIII universe at all, they need to start with a prequel centered around Haytham and his
training, induction, and defection from the assassin order
. Would buy the hell out of that game.

Wait, Haytham
used to be an Assassin and defected? I just figured his training was due to the Templars taking a leaf out of the Assassin book where combat and stealth were concerned as it made them equal rivals rather than bumbling swordsmen

Wait, Haytham
used to be an Assassin and defected? I just figured his training was due to the Templars taking a leaf out of the Assassin book where combat and stealth were concerned as it made them equal rivals rather than bumbling swordsmen

If you talk to
Shaun and read the emails it's hinted he was possibly an Assassin first who defected to the Templars later on.

conman

Which reminds me, did anyone else notice that Haytham has darker skin than Connor? They seriously white-washed Connor. Also, when he gets his name from
Achilles, Achilles tells him he should pass as Spanish. But immediately in the next sentence, Achilles gives him the Gaelic name "Connor." I guess a Spanish name wouldn't be "white" enough.

If they had done the braver thing and actually confronted race a bit more directly, the developers could have done something with all of this. It could have confronted the foundations of the US and its still-unsettled racial history. Connor's "whiteness" could have been part of that exploration. Instead, it just looks like a cop-out by developers who didn't want to have a dark-skinned main character, and didn't want to actually talk about race with any real depth.

Balphon

Which reminds me, did anyone else notice that Haytham has darker skin than Connor? They seriously white-washed Connor. Also, when he gets his name from
Achilles, Achilles tells him he should pass as Spanish. But immediately in the next sentence, Achilles gives him the Gaelic name "Connor."

Connor was the name of Achilles's dead son, which makes it even more weird.

conman

Connor was the name of Achilles's dead son, which makes it even more weird.
I know, right? It's like the developers wanted to remind us that race is vaguely "important," but they also didn't want to go very far with it. So they just put it out there, and then continually disregard and disavow it.

Noi

Achilles, Achilles tells him he should pass as Spanish. But immediately in the next sentence, Achilles gives him the Gaelic name "Connor." I guess a Spanish name wouldn't be "white" enough.
If they had done the braver thing and actually confronted race a bit more directly, the developers could have done something with all of this. It could have confronted the foundations of the US and its still-unsettled racial history. Connor's "whiteness" could have been part of that exploration. Instead, it just looks like a cop-out by developers who didn't want to have a dark-skinned main character, and didn't want to actually talk about race with any real depth.

Shout outs to Liberation for actually touching upon race and slavery, something ACIII spends a grand total of 3 seconds exploring.

Carbonox

If you talk to
Shaun and read the emails it's hinted he was possibly an Assassin first who defected to the Templars later on.

That's pretty cool then. It would be cool if Haytham was the main guy responsible for
Assassin techniques being brought in to the Templar fold from then on.

Would definitely like to see a prequel starring him then. Could be a far more interesting story to tell. Plus there wouldn't be any need for modern day garbage (which I would prefer to be scrapped altogether but clearly won't be) - a 100% historical game story-wise. Not only could it be set in London but they could take us to other places, maybe Paris as well on missions?

Could Haytham be the key to being AC's future? :p

conman

Shout outs to Liberation for actually touching upon race and slavery, something ACIII spends a grand total of 3 seconds exploring.
Hell, even GTA San Andreas is more nuanced in its treatment of race than AC3 is.

And I'd be willing to give Liberation a shot if I had a Vita. Worth it for fans of the series?

Noi

And I'd be willing to give Liberation a shot if I had a Vita. Worth it for fans of the series?

Worth it for people let down by ACIII, at the very least. I knew the moment the game actually took the time to explain it's subsystems for me that I'd enjoy it more than I did it's older brother.

...Not that Ubisoft managed to release the game without it's own share of bugs, but they don't match ACIII's laundry list of issues.

This is why I was so bummed out that that Pirates of the Carribean open world action game got cancelled. I remember playing a few 16-bit pirate games back in the day and having a lot of fun. The stuff in ACIII was amazing. Surely they could go back and look at the economic systems and other things in those past pirate games to try to build a whole game around it right? I imagine going to different ports, doing rum runs, overthrowing island governors, etc. It'd be so great.

Tex117

Banned
I just finished AC3 and here are my impressions.

First, I have never been a huge AC fan. I have always liked the art style and music more than I ever did the actual gameplay. I always thought the gameplay was too weighty and clunky.

AC3 still is weighty and clunky but at least the combat now is IMO much more fluid and press A for awesome. Since I never liked the combat to begin with, pressing A for awesome is just fine with me.

The stealth is terrible. The only time I hated the game was when I was forced to be stealthy. ITs too clunky to be a stealh game.

The enviroments are great. Truly great atmosphere...(especially from Chapter
on).

The music from Jesper Kyd is sorely...SORELY missed.

Story spoilers
The plot device of Haytham being Conner's dad was completely wasted...This was the biggest disapointment of the game...To have that excrutiating build up, to then not use it was criminal. We could have had a big Stars Wars reveal. We could have done a big reveal to Haytham that Conner was his kid. I was secretly hoping that Haytham was indeed an Assassin Agent that infultrated the Templars...I almost thought the game was setting that up when there was some dialog in the modern day about Lucy and how an Assassin was not able to be a "secret agent." Instead, there was no mystery. Everyone remained one dimensional.

Also the game squandard the potential internal conflict of Conner. He was never torn between being a native american or english. They never fleshed out the fact that the internal confusion of Conner could have been an allegory to a confused nation trying to build itself. Again, another great plot device wasted. (Though the game hinted at it).

I, for one, still liked Conner as a protagonist. Alot. As much as Ezio. Ezio was for sure more "bro." Conner, as fleshed out in the homestead missions, I thought made him quite likeable. But as said before, they could have made him much more multi-layered, but didn't.

This may sould like a bitch-fest, but I really liked the game. THOSE NAVAL BATTLES.

They may have fallen flat a few times, and as always, there is more potential there than ever realized, but all in all, a worth addition to the AC franchise. My favorite since II. II and III are on par with me.

cluto

Story spoilers
The plot device of Haytham being Conner's dad was completely wasted...This was the biggest disapointment of the game...To have that excrutiating build up, to then not use it was criminal. We could have had a big Stars Wars reveal. We could have done a big reveal to Haytham that Conner was his kid. I was secretly hoping that Haytham was indeed an Assassin Agent that infultrated the Templars...I almost thought the game was setting that up when there was some dialog in the modern day about Lucy and how an Assassin was not able to be a "secret agent." Instead, there was no mystery. Everyone remained one dimensional.

But it was so obvious from the beginning that Haytham was Connor's father. It would have been extremely difficult keeping that an unknown until the end of the game.

I'm a little late to the game and just reached the part where you can start building up the homestead. I have the land convoy system sussed and have three of them with max capacity shipping the pelts I take to Boston (the only merchant currently available to me). I still don't understand everything though, and have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some kind people here can help me with...

How do I upgrade the artisans? At the homestead so far I have
the two lumberjacks, the farmer couple, Lance, and Myriam, but Lance is only level 1.

What useful things should I be crafting, and where in particular should I be hunting to get the best stuff?

Also if I'm trying to make the most money, is there something in particular I should be doing? Should I be taking pelts and crafting something out of them before selling them, or is there another crafted good which can make me more money maybe?

jett

D-Member
The Boston Brawlers icon isn't showing up on my map screen in Chapter 7(I already beat the guy in the frontier). What's the deal?

Top Bottom