• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Balphon

The Boston Brawlers icon isn't showing up on my map screen in Chapter 7(I already beat the guy in the frontier). What's the deal?

The icon for the last mission doesn't appear, so you'll need to either look up or remember where the guy by the brewery who initially gave you the brawlers missions was.

Melville

My only problem with naval battles is that the powder-storage shots are fucking terrible.

They'd be fine if you never had to do them for full-synch, but are impossibly inconsistent since you do.

I struggled quite a bit with those. After trying several things, I found a solution that works most of the time (it actually worked 100% of the time for me, on the two or three missions that require to do that).
You have to destroy the masts of the enemy so that they are entirely immobile and then "park" your ship right in front of its prow. The two ships will basically look like a T. Then you just have to shoot normal cannonballs at pointblank (I think I had to shoot 2 or 3 times) to be able to see the powder kegs and boom.

The Boston Brawlers icon isn't showing up on my map screen in Chapter 7(I already beat the guy in the frontier). What's the deal?

Yeah I had this glitch too, you have to find the brewery in Boston and the guy will be in front of it. This game is a fucking mess. I just got the platinum trophy and I don't think I'll ever come back to it.
This is probably the last AC game I buy day one too.

jett

D-Member
The icon for the last mission doesn't appear, so you'll need to either look up or remember where the guy by the brewery who initially gave you the brawlers missions was.

Did you defeat the guy in NY too? If you did, then its glitch and heres a vid to his location: click.

I haven't been to New York yet. I just went to the location in that video and there's nobody there... :| I haven't done anything with the brawlers but defeat paul bunyan.

Amir0x

Banned
this is some bullshit trying to air assassinate this grenadier without being detected. Took out the two guys in the back and side of the boat, ignored the three up front because fuck that... and then I air assassinate the asshole ensuring I land on him behind the stacked boxes and shit... and those three up front peeps... they auto detect me? Even when they are looking the other way, and that huge distance... auto detect. Tried it over and over, same result. Some real bs right there.

kurahadol

I'm doing the homestead missions and the blacksmith told me to go get his tools in New York, however, there is no marker telling me where to go. Is this another glitch?

Balphon

I haven't been to New York yet. I just went to the location in that video and there's nobody there... :| I haven't done anything with the brawlers but defeat paul bunyan.

You go back to him only after beating up several people around the game world, so it's probably just that your next target is in NY.

this is some bullshit trying to air assassinate this grenadier without being detected. Took out the two guys in the back and side of the boat, ignored the three up front because fuck that... and then I air assassinate the asshole ensuring I land on him behind the stacked boxes and shit... and those three up front peeps... they auto detect me? Even when they are looking the other way, and that huge distance... auto detect. Tried it over and over, same result. Some real bs right there.
Climb to the top of the ship from the side nets, arrow everyone but the grenadier. Then apply air justice from the ropes.

rdrr gnr

It's the hardest sync in the game. The general will ALWAYS be detected if he is not AT LEAST behind the steering wheel.

Pro tip: Hide behind those boxes at the very end of the ship. Allow the pleb to get near you (in the VIEW of the general) and CORNER assassinate him. The general will be attracted to your location. Quickly hide behind the boxes, begin to climb up the boxes, and immediately jump and assassinate the general as he approaches the dead pleb.

Amir0x

Banned
Climb to the top of the ship from the side nets, arrow everyone but the grenadier. Then apply air justice from the ropes.

too bad for some reason the game keeps randomly deleting my arrows (Edit: And, for that matter, half of my other supplies) and I'm currently on one of those times :<

this is so the buggiest game ever in infinity

Oh then you have to defeat the guy in NY too, then the mission will update saying something like "go to the tournament in the brewery". That notification is glitched so then you can use the video I linked above.

Melville

too bad for some reason the game keeps randomly deleting my arrows (Edit: And, for that matter, half of my other supplies) and I'm currently on one of those times :<

I had to kill all the other soldiers to get this sync. Two of them are easy to assassinate from the sides of the ship. Then you can kill the lone guard at the rear of the ship. Then there's only two guards left together and the grenadier. If you have at least one poison ammo you can kill one of the two guards and the rest is easy. That's how I did it since my arrows kept dissapearing too.

Also be extra careful when you manage to do it because there is no autosave between the two boats you have to bring down.

I would suggest trying to fill up and come back with arrows (hoping they are not deleted, though I never had [or heard of] this bug myself).

Arrow sniper mode is the easiest way to do this one.

Arrows disappearing is quite annoying. Also, seems if you fail and choose to restart from last checkpoint then you don't get the supplies back you used.

Balphon

I had that problem too. You'll get them all back if you restart the memory and spend the 90 seconds it takes to get back to that checkpoint.

It's kind of interesting seeing the same people complaining about this game for the past 2 weeks now. Haha, I think it's time to move on!

Also, I think I'm the only one that really likes Connors VA and the music... Connors voice is so soothing!

JJD

I had the same problem as you. Gave up on it thinking that it glitched out on me but the next day when I booted up ACIII again the game magically fixed itself and I was able to collect the pivots. No idea why or how it fixed itself but it might happen to you too as it looks like the game has trouble connecting with the pivot server.

Thanks Dave, hopefully it will fix itself!

How's Black Ops 2 man? ;-)

It's kind of interesting seeing the same people complaining about this game for the past 2 weeks now. Haha, I think it's time to move on!
My only complaint is the lack of Jasper Kyd.

I have a few more missions to do before moving on to the ending and giving a final look at the game though.

rdrr gnr

The main theme is alright. I think I also liked track 17 from the OST. Nowhere near ACII soundtrack. Jesper Kyd is the best in this industry and sorely missed from the franchise.
Completely baffling Ubisoft didn't ask him back for ACIII. His music helped define the series.
He may have quit on his own after so many games. But, yeah, I still listen to the AC2 soundtrack on occasion. Fucking Earth (Heart).

rataven

The main theme is alright. I think I also liked track 17 from the OST. Nowhere near ACII soundtrack. Jesper Kyd is the best in this industry and sorely missed from the franchise.

Completely baffling Ubisoft didn't ask him back for ACIII. His music helped define the series.

Also, I think I'm the only one that really likes Connors VA and the music... Connors voice is so soothing!

I liked Conner dialog during the assassination death sequences. But when he would say his final words in his native tongue, it sounded like a total different voice actor.

Epcott

Damn Deborah Carter glitch.
Searched NY for her to gain my final assassin, and turns out she was next to West Point all along (an area I searched previously), but it doesn't show on the map.

Here's a big question, what purpose do Almanacs serve?
I've gotten all in Boston, sans 1, and the only items of importance I acquired are recipes for a stove and electromagnetic device, which after being built, don't appear accessible. Do they show up in Achilles house?

This game is pretty beautiful, framerate goblins aside. When there's a storm and rain comes down and you're running through a city, or through the frontier, it's stunning. The wet planks, the fog, it really shines.

Amir0x

Banned
I had that problem too. You'll get them all back if you restart the memory and spend the 90 seconds it takes to get back to that checkpoint.

thanks... but I managed to finally do it. Basically because this game can be completely random junk-ass, I just took advantage of such a situation when the game finally dealt me the hand. Basically the third guy in the front of the ship, when I stealth killed him, I immediately jumped into the sea to avoid detection, and for some reason the other two guys just jumped onto the edge of the ship to look. Then they stayed there. Then they made for easy ledge kills.

*shrug*. The game glitches on me all the time, why should I complain when the game glitches one in my favor!

Xevren

Searched NY for her to gain my final assassin, and turns out she was next to West Point all along (an area I searched previously), but it doesn't show on the map.

I've gotten all in Boston, sans 1, and the only items of importance I acquired are recipes for a stove and electromagnetic device, which after being built, don't appear accessible. Do they show up in Achilles house?

This game is pretty beautiful, framerate goblins aside. When there's a storm and rain comes down and you're running through a city, or through the frontier, it's stunning. The wet planks, the fog, it really shines.

They show up in Achilles house on the 2nd floor, no idea if you can craft anything really worth while from all them though...

Epcott

Thanks! That somehow makes me feel better for not bothering with them in NY. Jumped off a building to grab one and landed right on a redcoats head. Ten minute chase ensued :/

Bladenic

The Almanac pages unlock new recipes. The recipes are things Ben Franklin invented and you can make them and I believe they show up in your mansion.

I'm finding myself gradually more enthralled with the frontier and gradually more frustrated with Boston. This is the opposite of what I expected coming in.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yah rly.

The game doesn't make you want to sail the seas?

Yes it does, it's the most polished aspect of the game. Wished it was more open. I know Ubisoft doesn't always include features from last games for the sake of including them, but if the naval gameplay is missing from the next games, I will be seriously disappointed.

New York will make you not want to go into the city for anything.

No kidding! New York is ugly as hell in this game compared to Boston.

Also, completing everything everywhere makes the game boring as hell.

Ubisoft, put some dynamic gameplay here like RDR! Which makes me remember, the Boston gameplay made it seem as if there were dynamic missions. Argh, dammit Ubisoft.

pargonta

this game shouldve started with sequence 9 imo, that was solid. just got to sequence 11 and am stopping for tonight. i've been running and fast traveling right to main missions to progress the story, as i was crazy bored and annoyed in sequence 1-7, and it feels great. ignoring the world economy and all side missions and shops etc makes me appreciate the game more. the open world just isn't clicking with me like it did with 2 and bro.

anywho can't wait to finish it up tomorrow night.

Balphon

The Almanac pages unlock new recipes. The recipes are things Ben Franklin invented and you can make them and I believe they show up in your mansion.

Yeah, they show up on the second floor and will give you a database entry if you go up to look at them. They're also required for 100% completion, IIRC.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
this game shouldve started with sequence 9 imo, that was solid. just got to sequence 11 and am stopping for tonight.

I'm glad it didn't actually, because of Sequence 1 and the ending of 3.

Which also makes me remember, the game's story tempo (forgot the specific word of it, just now!) is seriously screwed too. I know they wanted to nail the atmosphere of the era, but that is only nailed on some parts. They often neglected some of the potential for the game, which were the battles (which gave a false illusion of choice from the interactive trailer), the GAMEPLAY SPOILER
Desmond sequences (the first mission had potential for awesome sneaking, but the dev team didn't seem to have the time for finding a way to go around of putting bushes and hay carts in modern buildings)
, and Connor's story on it self.

It just seems seriously rushed for a game that was almost 3 if not 4 years in development. It seems most of that time just went into the engine or the construction of the game's world. A total shame to be honest.

Fuck, I just did this mission and it took me 30 tries for a 100% sync in one go. Connor won't climb up the stupid boat correctly, everyone sees you no matter where you pop up, and sometimes you have to slightly trigger them seeing you, and then jump off the boat. And then, after you do everything right, maybe you'll have bad luck and the grenadier will block your attack, or Connor will hop onto the boat to assassinate a guard instead of pulling them off the side of a ship like a competent assassin (Ezio).

pargonta

I'm glad it didn't actually, because of Sequence 1 and the ending of 3.

Which also makes me remember, the game's story tempo (forgot the specific word of it, just now!) is seriously screwed too. I know they wanted to nail the atmosphere of the era, but that is only nailed on some parts. They often neglected some of the potential for the game, which were the battles (which gave a false illusion of choice from the interactive trailer), the GAMEPLAY SPOILER
Desmond sequences (the first mission had potential for awesome sneaking, but the dev team didn't seem to have the time for finding a way to go around of putting bushes and hay carts in modern buildings)
, and Connor's story on it self.

It just seems seriously rushed for a game that was almost 3 if not 4 years in development. It seems most of that time just went into the engine or the construction of the game's world. A total shame to be honest.

my thinking for starting at 9 was
the beauty of prancing on the NY rooftops is classic Assassin's creed, with the two character relationship mysterious. the arc of that sequence is about one assassination target as well, which makes it elegant and classic AC. it would be expanded, and there would be numerous cutbacks to haytham's intro and connor's childhood... leading up to the revelation (to the player) that they are father and son. starting at 9 would be starting en medias res (middle of story), and then flashing back to catch those sequence 1 and 3 moments. woulda been interesting, at least.

i agree with you on all that rushed stuff.

conman

Especially considering that Brotherhood and Revelations were the exact opposite: they both seemed seriously polished for games that were rushed.

I also wonder how much of that "3 years in development" line they kept feeding the press was accurate. I mean, yes, there was probably a small team that had been working on it for a while (engine and early design), but I wonder when they actually started shifting the support teams onto the main project. 2 years ago? I'm sure there was a slow agglomeration of the dozen or so AC teams that grew over time. But I wonder at what point production got going in full swing. Because, yes, it seems seriously rushed for a game that was supposedly in development for so long.

Clearly they underestimated just how ambitious this game would be. And the built-in deadline in the game's plot left them no wiggle room whatsoever. And maybe they'd grown cocky over the past few releases because they had been able to do such good work in such a short amount of time. But switching to all new tech and building a brand new story arc and a whole mess of new game systems was really too much at once. IMO they should have just stuck to a revised version of the old tech. Too many changes all at once in an enormous game. Pure hubris.

Gartooth

Finished the game, wished the Revolutionary War played a bigger part than it did.
The actual war only lasted a few sequences I think.

As far as the ending to both Connor and Desmond's storylines, I felt like Connor's just kind of ended on a wimper unlike say the final mission of ACII, and for Desmond's
that has to be one of the most blatant sequel cliff hangers ever and completely fails to offer any satisfying conclusion to a series that has been building towards it for 5 games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
As much as I like this game I can't even deny how awful that last mission in sequence 12 was. What the actual fuck happened there.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
At of curiosity, what are casual or non-AC fans think of AC3?
I honestly haven't been able to top the 8-10 hour mark in any of the previous games without just moving on to something else. I'm about 15 hours or so into AC3 and I think it may be my favorite one, but I wasn't a die hard so a lot of the "changes" to the series don't bother me. It kind of makes it easier to play.

I like Connor, but I agree Ezio is a more interesting character. And the map and menu design is terrile. But the world feels more alive and is a blast to traverse, it's gorgeous and there's so much (too much, in fact), to do. I wonder if that's mostly because I'm not a die hard though.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
So I'm playing right now... am I having a mental breakdown or did they get the date of the Declaration of Independence wrong? LOLOL

Top Bottom