• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Raxus

45% in... does the game just never give a tutorial on crafting/trading and assassin contracts? I have no idea how to do these things.

Nope.

Assassin's contracts you hold L1/LB and press square/x.

Trading and crafting: You won't be able to do much until Seq. 9. When you get there you will have unlocked more homestead missions and you can level all your craftsmen. Doing homestead missions is the only way to level craftsmen. Liberating towns and trade routes reduces risks/taxes on trades. There is more I believe but I can't figure out the system either.

I got it after liberating all of the forts but I had the same problem as you. I would take them all down using my fists and it wouldn't register. Then one time it did and I have no idea why.

I had the same problem. The problem is you can still kill people with your fists. What you have to do is avoid doing a 'slam move' which is slamming your opponent into an object finisher. That will kill the enemy. If all the people on the ground are moving then you are successful. Linius, I did it with all areas liberated. It is not impossible. Try to find them near forts. It is a 50% chance of seeing one apparently.

Strangely enough on my successful attempt I am pretty sure a snapped a dude's neck.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Nope.

Assassin's contracts you hold L1/LB and press square/x.

Trading and crafting: You won't be able to do much until Seq. 9. When you get there you will have unlocked more homestead missions and you can level all your craftsmen. Doing homestead missions is the only way to level craftsmen. Liberating towns and trade routes reduces risks/taxes on trades. There is more I believe but I can't figure out the system either.

I had the same problem. The problem is you can still kill people with your fists. What you have to do is avoid doing a 'slam move' which is slamming your opponent into an object finisher. That will kill the enemy. If all the people on the ground are moving then you are successful.

Strangely enough on my successful attempt I am pretty sure a snapped a dude's neck.

I'm positive I broke two guys necks on my successful attempt.

I just foolishly tried for 100% sync on a mission early in sequence 8 where you have to do a Mobile Eavesdrop. Every single time one of the NPCs would run into either a civilian or a piece of geometry, causing them to randomly turn around and immediately spot me. This frigging game.

Linius

I'm positive I broke two guys necks on my successful attempt.

I saw video's on YT where they also choked the guys on the back of the convoy but they still got it. Must be some weird random bug I guess? I'll just keep trying then. I'm going to collect feathers so I'll be in the frontier for a while now.

Sleeping Dogs has earned the title of the worst game of 2012 and this takes the second prize IMO. This was by far the shittiest installment in the whole series. I sank 25 hours in to it and I'm so disappointed. The story was the only thing that kept me going. I should have waited for the upcoming patch and maybe it could have been a little more enjoyable...maybe.

Eideka

Banned
Sleeping Dogs has earned the title of the worst game of 2012 and this takes the second prize IMO. This was by far the shittiest installment in the whole series. I sank 25 hours in to it and I'm so disappointed. The story was the only thing that kept me going. I should have waited for the upcoming patch and maybe it could have been a little more enjoyable...maybe.

Sleeping Dogs the worst title of 2012....

Oh well opinions and all that.

Sleeping Dogs the worst title of 2012....

Oh well opinions and all that.

Stopped reading right here. If Sleeping Dogs is the worst game you played this year I don't even know what to say.

Okay guys, you got me. I double checked and realized that Syndicate (reboot) was released in 2012 so that's the worst major release I've played this year.

AC3 kinda reminded me of Sleeping Dogs. They're pretty to look at but both just lack the magic that open world games like RDR has. Driving in SD was horrible and so was free running in AC3. Fighting was all about tapping the counter button and then hitting attack. AC3 had a decent story but SD didn't even have that. To me it seemed like they were trying to make a game that took itself seriously. For me, the game turned into a bad comedy when that old grandma came in to play with her butcher knife.

But I guess it was the bugs, glitches and controls that killed this game for me. Constantly getting stuck in rocks and trees and falling through roofs was just so frustrating. As a huge AC fan I hate to say this but I think I'm done with this series.

Dachande

Epilogue question:
What the fuck is this Animus Pivot stuff? Where am I supposed to put them? What do they do? Am I supposed to use them to find new pivots when they're unlocked, or something? This was appallingly explained.

Bollocks

Letting the AI attack your convoys is the worst decision ever. Most of the time you're in a mission and even if you do manage to get to the convoy you not only have to kill the attackers but you also have to make sure that your allies don't die which makes it bs and far too cumbersome.

I want to make some money but can't since the convoys get attacked left and right, even though risk rate is at 10%. Makes the whole convoy system useless

Linius

Letting the AI attack your convoys is the worst decision ever. Most of the time you're in a mission and even if you do manage to get to the convoy you not only have to kill the attackers but you also have to make sure that your allies don't die which makes it bs and far too cumbersome.

I want to make some money but can't since the convoys get attacked left and right, even though risk rate is at 10%. Makes the whole convoy system useless

I had a naval convoy at 80 percent risk and it arrived. And except for one all of my land convoys also arrived. Maybe I'm lucky, but it's working for me.

-Winnie-

Despite all of its flaws and my huge gripes with the story... I can't stop playing. All this side content is like crack. I think it might be more of the OCD gamer in me than actual quality of the content bringing me back, but I somehow seem to be enjoying myself. Although some of the sidemissions here are even more fun than the main quests, which feel like linear, scripted corridors most of the time. Templar Forts were awesome fun.

Epilogue question:
What the fuck is this Animus Pivot stuff? Where am I supposed to put them? What do they do? Am I supposed to use them to find new pivots when they're unlocked, or something? This was appallingly explained.

Epilogue:
Pivot points once collected unlock cheats in the animus. You start with three (once you get the tutorial pivot) and must use them to collect all 12. When a pivot spawns the game will display a notification stating in which map is located. You must then travel to that map and use your collected pivots to triangulate the spawned pivot location. The game then paints in green (in the pivot subsection of the map) the smallest area containing a pivot from them. By moving those you've already planted or planting additional ones you can further reduce the search area. Once you are pleased with the size to explore, just run inside the area until a little square appears on your minimap.

Since that explanation might not be super clear (crappy pic alert): http://www.abload.de/img/pivotsmcuz1.jpg

I just can't figure out this one mobile eavesdrop mission. They stop and look behind them at the end and I have nowhere to hide, and climbing on the rooftops is too high to hear them.

Edit: Finally figured that one out, but now the next 100% sync objective in the mission (chase without shoving anyone) is making me want to throw my TV out the window.

This series has never been as infuriating as this. I even loved Rev, but god damn, it's hard to push through the story missions in 3 (the side content is about as good as usual though).

Zabka

I was getting pretty bored around Sequence 9 then I saw a weapon for sale that I was hoping was in the game. Chingachgook's blue wood club spike thing! Womping on guys with this thing is fun as hell.

Yanksfan

I just finished Revelations and jumped right into AC3. I saw some hate for the opening of the game, but I had just enough time to finish the first sequence and loved it. Both the
Opera and the Boat segments were excellent. The only thing I didn't care for was the tutorial beforehand. It was lightning quick though so it didn't bother me.

What the hell did they do to Desmond's face though?

megalowho

I just finished Revelations and jumped right into AC3. I saw some hate for the opening of the game, but I had just enough time to finish the first sequence and loved it. Both the
Opera and the Boat segments were excellent. The only thing I didn't care for was the tutorial beforehand. It was lightning quick though so it didn't bother me.

What the hell did they do to Desmond's face though?
That's the opening of the opening :). I agree, the areas you mentioned are very well done.

I'm positive I cleared the final optional objective in sequence 8, it's very easy to see if you've failed it or not, but the game just up and decided to not give it to me. This isn't the first time this has happened. Son of a bitch.

Edit: (sequence 9)
Just got to Brazil. The modern-day segments of this game have been a letdown so far.

You know what kills me? The way people walk up stairs in this game. I know it's a weird quirk of their animation system, but damn, it looks so tiring! :lol

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I'm positive I cleared the final optional objective in sequence 8, it's very easy to see if you've failed it or not, but the game just up and decided to not give it to me. This isn't the first time this has happened. Son of a bitch.

Edit: (sequence 9)
Just got to Brazil. The modern-day segments of this game have been an incredible letdown so far. So linear and boring. I hope this one picks up, assuming it's longer than NYC and I'm not already practically done with it.

Those sections were a real letdown. They had a lot of potential and I hoped for a lot more but we got some pretty basic A-to-B stuff. I think if you are going to have those sections you really need to go all the way with them. They are going to be linear but that doesn't mean they can't go all out with them. Multiple paths, social stealth or traditional stealth, choose to engage or slip by enemies etc. They could do so much with the concept. I hope that if they do it again with the next game, they do it right.

Dachande

Epilogue: [handy stuff in spoiler]

Thanks. So it's just for extra cheats? Meh, I thought it'd unlock more story stuff and possibly explain what happened in the credits sequence or whatever. I'm done with this game then.

I'm amazed at just how much of a step back AC3 was. They made free-running worse (I'm sure it would've been possible to have the old control method work with trees, I don't accept that reasoning at all), the side content was completely uninteresting, and many of the missions and area layouts are appallingly designed - everyone who worked on Sequence 12 in particular should be ashamed to put their names to it, I don't think I've ever shouted "fuck you, that's bullshit" at a game more in my entire life. The whole game was a glitchy, buggy mess from start to finish (how the FUCK did no one catch the hood-always-down bug in Sequence 12/Epilogue?) and the fact it was released in this state after 3 years of development is extremely concerning.

If I had to give it any praise, many of the animations are very good and
Haytham
is the best bad guy the series has had. Other than that, I just finished this out of obligation, since I have no money to buy Halo 4 or anything else until I get paid again and I wanted to play something.

umm, is there a bug that makes the season change for no reason? i was playing Sequence 9 and i'm pretty sure it was winter in Boston.. until i fast traveled to the Frontier and suddenly it's summer everywhere? wat.

the fact it was released in this state after 3 years of development is extremely concerning.

Is there any proof that this is true? I've always assumed that's just something they said, but still made this in a year or less. I mean, they sent out that setting questionairre after Revelations, which would have been way too late in the dev cycle if this was three years in, not one.

jett

D-Member
Is there any proof that this is true? I've always assumed that's just something they said, but still made this in a year or less. I mean, they sent out that setting questionairre after Revelations, which would have been way too late in the dev cycle if this was three years in, not one.

It's mostly bullshit. They've probably been throwing around ideas and design for a while, along with development of the engine itself, but I have little doubt that proper production of the game started after Revelations.

With how buggy this game is I wouldn't attempt this shit.

A pet peeve of mine, well one of them, regarding AC3 is that my outfit color doesn't show up in cut-scenes. :| I liked this navy blue/red combo I got going on but it created such a disconnect when a cut-scene showed up I had to let it go.

Dachande

Only their word, I guess. In theory AC3 is also using Anvil 2 that they would have developed on conjunction with the game, although I can't say AC3 looks much better than the Anvil 1-driven Brotherhood and Revelations, but if there's new tech in there, that could've taken time too.

I don't think the game could've been done entirely in 1 year, not with size of the Frontier and the new tree-climbing system, but it could be fair to guess that the first 2 years were more sedately paced before everything ramped up for the final year once the Brotherhood & Revelations team hopped over to help. That's still no excuse for the sheer amount of bugs and glitches in the game though.

What would even be the reasoning to take three years on this? Ubisoft knew full well they could do it in one, and make sell a ton of copies in the process, so what's the incentive to spend the money doing it in three years instead of one?

Dachande

What would even be the reasoning to take three years on this? Ubisoft knew full well they could do it in one, and make sell a ton of copies in the process, so what's the incentive to spend the money doing it in three years instead of one?

That isn't necessarily true. Remember, Brotherhood and Revelations took the previous game's base, and just built a new map for it with the existing architecture and environment set plus a few new ones for variety's sake, and fixed some bugs and added a couple of new yet relatively minor gameplay mechanics (or ones that would've been quite simple like the tower defence game of Rev).

AC3 was largely rewritten and re-worked, with many new animations, an entirely new architecture set, the brand-new traversable-outdoors set and some other very big changes, and I think it's fair to believe it taking longer to make than either Bro or Rev. Perhaps 3 years is a bit too long, but I would definitely say no less than 2. They may be including the first post-AC2 year where they were working out what they actually wanted to do when they say 3 years.

EDIT: I also wonder just how much team crossover there was between Bro/Rev and AC3 over the past 3 years. Some people could've worked on both or all three games in some capacity, where others would have stayed on just AC3, for example.

They lied. It´s just marketing. A game three years in development doesn`t end up like AC3.

conman

It's mostly bullshit. They've probably been throwing around ideas and design for a while, along with development of the engine itself, but I have little doubt that proper production of the game started after Revelations.
Exactly. That whole "3 years" thing had to be a marketing tactic to make this game sound like a quality reboot to the franchise. More likely is that they had only been working on some of the creative stuff, core design concepts/prototypes, and the new engine for that full three years. I'd guess that AC3 had just as long a development cycle as Brotherhood and Revelations. If not and if it really did take 3 years of full-scale development, then something really effed up must have been happening behind the scenes.

Epcott

Just finished it. Well, that was retarded.

That's the only response you have Mr. Negativity™? Was expecting a much more robust rant.

I've come to grips with the lackluster story. Obviously they're setting it up for Connor to return to tie up loose ends
Who really set his village on fire and what is he to do now that they moved to another galaxy?

Playing Liberation now. Is there a Thanksgiving patch for it also? Just made it to sequence 2 and already there's bugs with the poison dart tutorial (after restarting the mission, she doesn't lock onto dummy targets. Had to restart the entire memory, bleh).

TheLight

I believe the game was worked on for 3 years. I dunno I imagine a team of 600(?) people working on one game, isn't that ideal as shit can easily be overlooked in a project like this. How QA managed to not see any of this however...

Lockon

Need help getting the last Pivot. Its inside a house that seem impossible to get inside.
I thought the house would be possible to run through but it seems thats not the case.
May be its in one of the sequence where you fight or do something in a house?
Need help if anyone could. The pivot is in Boston btw.

Here some pictures:
Its the house in front of Connor icon.
http://i.imgur.com/LwlYt.jpg
This is the front of the place I'm talking about. the pivot stuck inside the house.
http://i.imgur.com/lF8PK.jpg

Replicant

Finished with 100% Sync on all sequences. WORST GAME OF THE YEAR! FUCK U UBISOFT!

Which dumbass(es) think that not shoving anyone during chaotic chase sequence was a good idea? And people complain about the mechanic of RE6? Holy Hell, that game is like an award-winning game in comparison to this putrid, awful control they have on AC3.

WORST protagonist ever. Connor is a sour, angry tool who got used over and over again. I hope he dies for good because I sure as Hell won't play another AC game with him in it.

WORST story of the year too. Sure, let's end it all in the worst possible way because we have no idea how to end it properly.

I was going to get the AC collection but now I've played this, I'd rather not have AC3 in my collection. What a garbage.

Finished with 100% Sync on all sequences. WORST GAME OF THE YEAR! FUCK U UBISOFT!

Which dumbass(es) think that not shoving anyone during chaotic chase sequence was a good idea? And people complain about the mechanic of RE6? Holy Hell, that game is like an award-winning game in comparison to this putrid, awful control they have on AC3.

WORST protagonist ever. Connor is a sour, angry tool who got used over and over again. I hope he dies for good because I sure as Hell won't play another AC game with him in it.

WORST story of the year too. Sure, let's end it all in the worst possible way because we have no idea how to end it properly.

I was going to get the AC collection but now I've played this, I'd rather not have AC3 in my collection. What a garbage.

there i was thinking me3 is worst,then ubi comes out of nowhere and takes the prize.
fuck u ubi.spolied the entire series for me.

Replicant

Dare I ask, why would you 100 sync it if you hate it so much?

Because I'm OCD and I always do so on all AC games. But this one was the worst. Also, I don't want to leave the game with a niggling feeling that I haven't *fully* competed it. This way I can move on to another game without thinking about this one.

there i was thinking me3 is worst,then ubi comes out of nowhere and takes the prize.
fuck u ubi.spolied the entire series for me.

My thoughts *exactly*. On a hindsight, ME3 had quite a few redeeming factors and only the ending was completely awful. But the characters' story, the personal interaction, etc were pretty good. This, OTOH, was putrid from start to finish. Even the protagonist was awful.

no_to_co

Man, this sucks. I was going to get it for my Wii U, but not I think I'll pass. :(

Okay guys, you got me. I double checked and realized that Syndicate (reboot) was released in 2012 so that's the worst major release I've played this year.

AC3 kinda reminded me of Sleeping Dogs. They're pretty to look at but both just lack the magic that open world games like RDR has. Driving in SD was horrible and so was free running in AC3. Fighting was all about tapping the counter button and then hitting attack. AC3 had a decent story but SD didn't even have that. To me it seemed like they were trying to make a game that took itself seriously. For me, the game turned into a bad comedy when that old grandma came in to play with her butcher knife.

But I guess it was the bugs, glitches and controls that killed this game for me. Constantly getting stuck in rocks and trees and falling through roofs was just so frustrating. As a huge AC fan I hate to say this but I think I'm done with this series.

SD had terrible driving? What? And of course AC3 has terrible freerunning: every AC game suffers from terrible, frustrating jank on that front. At least SD was interesting to play. I can't even bring myself to load AC3 up anymore because I'm just so fucking bored playing it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

You surely don't play many games.

And is it that bad that you spent 25 hours on it? I'm pretty sure that the main storyline doesn't take 25 hours.

It's very disappointing, yes; but in no way the game is absolutely terrible.

Because I'm OCD and I always do so on all AC games. But this one was the worst. Also, I don't want to leave the game with a niggling feeling that I haven't *fully* competed it. This way I can move on to another game without thinking about this one.

My thoughts *exactly*. On a hindsight, ME3 had quite a few redeeming factors and only the ending was completely awful. But the characters' story, the personal interaction, etc were pretty good. This, OTOH, was putrid from start to finish. Even the protagonist was awful.

It was the 1st game,i wanted to play as templar,just so that i could get better character to play.Haytem is 007.that guy has class.can't say the same for the other guy.

whats with the plot,there i though Bollywood movies had some of the worst plot.

SD had terrible driving? What? And of course AC3 has terrible freerunning: every AC game suffers from terrible, frustrating jank on that front. At least SD was interesting to play. I can't even bring myself to load AC3 up anymore because I'm just so fucking bored playing it.

worst free running of the decade,most frustration was caused during chase sequence.

TheLight

I do agree. I REALLY liked Haythem. Way more than whatever Connor was. He was just...6 feet of emotional ass muscle. Haythem was classy, but could still wreck you. He knew what he had to do, but could still enjoy himself. The 007 comparison is spot on.

jett

D-Member
That's the only response you have Mr. Negativity™? Was expecting a much more robust rant.

Honestly I didn't really have much hope for a proper resolution, the series has strayed far off in quality since Desilets left Ubisoft.

edit: i'll just post my long post separately

Can't believe I'm actually saying this because I've never had a problem with console FPS before, but wow, the PS3 version feels nearly unplayable in city sections. I swear I'm getting dips below 30 FPS. And the draw distance...yikes.

I'm not very far at all, so I think I might just trade this in on Tuesday and shell out the extra money for the PC version. Hopefully they did a decent job with it.

Really, though, besides those two things, the game feels fine so far. More Assassins Creed, which is fine by me.

Top Bottom