• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

exYle

The Charles Lee chase wasn't too bad. It just needs to be less shittier not easier.

I figured out a technique that made the chase more enjoyable. Otherwise, I'm gonna disagree with you here: I thought the concept and set pieces during the chase were really great
I mean, you chase him through the burning husk of a boat!
, it's just that the gameplay mechanics there were really, really poorly done.

I figured out a technique that made the chase more enjoyable. Otherwise, I'm gonna disagree with you here: I thought the concept and set pieces during the chase were really great
I mean, you chase him through the burning husk of a boat!
, it's just that the gameplay mechanics there were really, really poorly done.

I thought it was a little boring. Dead Chest Treasure chase was way better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5TrzldhNn4&feature=relmfu

Eideka

Banned
New details regarding the PC version :

Multimonitor and extra wide monitor support for both Eyefinity and nVidia surround.

Tessellation supported

Environment quality (normal, high, very high):
· Increases loading range
· Increases the LOD quality

Texture quality :
· Normal = console quality
· High = full rez textures we had available. Most of the world is 2x the rez, some stuff like animals can be 4 or 16x.

Anti-aliasing quality:
· Normal: FXAA (similar quality to console FXAA we shipped with on 360/PS3)
· High: FXAA with highest possible setting
· Very high: TXAA 4x (or FXAA+MSAA4x on AMD cards)

Shadow quality:
· Normal: console-like shadow map resolution and filtering
· High: 2x shadow map resolution
· Very high:
o 2x shadow map resolution
o new Hexagonal filter (as well as cross-cascade blending)
o Improved Ambient Occlusion algorithm

From the official forums.

Admittedly I don't have the faintest idea as to what is "cross-cascade blending", I read this as some kind of sophisticated DX11 algorithms, soft shadows I presume.

So it looks like the DX11 features are :
-cross-cascade blending
-Improved SSAO (HBAO probably)
-Tesselation, will only the water mesh be tesselated or will it apply to the environement/characters ? I guess I will have to wait for Nvidia (on the 20th) to find out.
On Geforce's site :
check back nearer November 20th for the full scoop on Ubisoft’s impressive and technologically-enhanced PC version.

SJRB

Gold Member
Massive patch list. As expected many situational fixes, nothing regarding engine performance.

Still, it seems Ubi is on top of things. Some of these bugs are crazy - missing oceans, non-spawning npcs, endless death loop.

And the hood is making a return, which is awesome. Glad they listened to that particular complaint. Still not sure if hoodless Connor was by design or if it was a character model load error.

Is there any chance at all that Ubisoft could just leave all that First Civilization/Abstergo stuff behind, and just base the next game purely on a historical setting? Is it a viable option for them to completely cut that sci-fi shit out of the game? Because after the god awful ending in AC3, I'm DONE with that bullshit, total nonsense, nobody cares for it anyway, who plays the AC series for Desmond? Nobody. Just make it Assassins versus Templars.

me. but they did ruin it all in this game. so bad.

No mention of fixing THE date?
Hell, I would accept the actual date or celebrated date... Just something more accurate. I haven't witnessed it myself as I've been slow going waiting for the patch.

Effect

So with that patch note. Does that make or show that the game is well on it's way to being worth picking up at full price?

rvy

Banned
So with that patch note. Does that make or show that the game is well on it's way to being worth picking up at full price?

No. Those are minor fixes. You can't fix the shitty campaign through patches. You can fix the shitty stealth mechanics, if Ubi is willing to, but not the shitty campaign.

MaLDo

New details regarding the PC version :

From the official forums.

Admittedly I don't have the faintest idea as to what is "cross-cascade blending", I read this as some kind of sophisticated DX11 algorithms, soft shadows I presume.

So it looks like the DX11 features are :
-cross-cascade blending
-Improved SSAO (HBAO probably)
-Tesselation, will only the water mesh be tesselated or will it apply to the environement/characters ? I guess I will have to wait for Nvidia (on the 20th) to find out.
On Geforce's site :

To improve performance the whole shadow map is divided into concentric circles. The most internal (the player/camera is the centre) has the highest resolution and then every "corona" has lower resolution than previous. In the joints between a pair of shadow lods, there is a "glitch" because the shadow filter over the different resolution.

Cross-cascade blending makes the borders less visible.

july12_ESM_CSM.png

SJRB

Gold Member
No. Those are minor fixes. You can't fix the shitty campaign through patches. You can fix the shitty stealth mechanics, if Ubi is willing to, but not the shitty campaign.

I agree, there is nothing in the patch list that alters the game's fundamental gameplay. Which is understandable, I suppose. I mean, if they couldn't get it right in the 3+ years of development I doubt a patch two weeks after launch would fix everything.

So yeah, ACIII.. 'Hate/love game' of the year I suppose.

rvy

Banned
I agree, there is nothing in the patch list that alters the game's fundamental gameplay. Which is understandable, I suppose. I mean, if they couldn't get it right in the 3+ years of development I doubt a patch two weeks after launch would fix everything.

So yeah, ACIII.. 'Hate/love game' of the year I suppose.

Clearly they had some internal discussions about the stealth mechanics, judging by the Reddit QA, and how to please everybody. It's unfortunate that instead of adding options, such as allowing players to toggle button inputs for crouching and pressing against a wall, they made this universal stealth configuration that doesn't please a lot of people. If they wanted to, they could easily fix this. It's just a matter of giving the player options.

The campaign is what it is, some of the issues may be fixed with more responsive controls, more controller options and better tutorials, but they ain't gonna fix everything.

Eideka

Banned
To improve performance the whole shadow map is divided into concentric circles. The most internal (the player/camera is the centre) has the highest resolution and then every "corona" has lower resolution than previous. In the joints between a pair of shadow lods, there is a "glitch" because the shadow filter over the different resolution.

Cross-cascade blending makes the borders less visible.

You are the famous Maldo right ? The maker of the Crysis mod ?

Wow I did not know you posted on Neogaf.

Well thanks for your explanation, this may be a naive question but is this going to crush performance ? Yeah I know you mention "improve performance" but sometimes it's not the case.

conman

That's a ridiculously long list of mission specific fixes. I'd bet money that QA caught most of those too.
Considering how quickly that patch is moving forward, you're probably right. It will likely be a while before many of the bugs and glitches we all have experienced get addressed. Again, I'm waiting at least six months before I give this game another shot. By then, it will be in its final form--for better or worse.

Funniest glitch/physics error I experienced in the game was sailing dead on at a rogue wave. Went up that thing Perfect Storm style and the entire ship did a full somersault and I was still okay.

Btw, I didn't see a fix for the twin pistol glitch....Bummer. I just wanna have 4 shots...

Considering how quickly that patch is moving forward, you're probably right. It will likely be a while before many of the bugs and glitches we all have experienced get addressed. Again, I'm waiting at least six months before I give this game another shot. By then, it will be in its final form--for better or worse.

There's no way they'll address all the problems. Once people calm down and stop complaining, they'll stop caring.

rataven

Funniest glitch/physics error I experienced in the game was sailing dead on at a rogue wave. Went up that thing Perfect Storm style and the entire ship did a full somersault and I was still okay.

Best one I've had was on the Homestead. Decided to pay Achilles a visit, only when I entered the room, I was greeted by not one, but four Achilles, all hunched over leaning on his cane, shouting 'evening' at me. Terrifying.

Best one I've had was on the Homestead. Decided to pay Achilles a visit, only when I entered the room, I was greeted by not one, but four Achilles, all hunched over leaning on his cane, shouting 'evening' at me. Terrifying.

Holy shit that is funny. I never experienced any super bad glitches like that my entire time playing the game. And I put over 30 hours in. I guess I lucked out.

What was your glitch ? I am playing through now. Is it avoidable ?

Frontiersman side mission called Unidentified Flying Object. The mission is stuck so i can't complete it so it's impossible for me to get the 100% sync trophy. My only advise will be to do them early since i did every side mission after i beat the game. So if it glitches on you, starting over won't be so bad.

rataven

Holy shit that is funny. I never experienced any super bad glitches like that my entire time playing the game. And I put over 30 hours in. I guess I lucked out.

The captain of the Providence did try practicing his ventriloquist act on me, but that mysteriously fixed itself when I restarted the memory. Other than those two glitches, it's been smooth sailing for me too. So far.

Finally got all the achievements for the game including the 100% all grid tracker...and wow. A game has never worn so thin on me as this one...

exYle

Hahahahaha holy shit

I'm glad that they are going to release that extensive patch soon.I was waiting on playing the title until they try to fix it.

That being said, would you guys recommend it for the Wii U? I've been back and fourth about this title but I do own every AC game and love the series.

rvy

Banned
I'm glad that they are going to release that extensive patch soon.I was waiting on playing the title until they try to fix it.

That being said, would you guys recommend it for the Wii U? I've been back and fourth about this title but I do own every AC game and love the series.

After the ME 3 fiasco, I wouldn't say anything just yet.

d1rtn4p

So pretty much gave up on this one today. I've beat all the previous ACs, so maybe I'm just burned out at this point. Honestly, I just found the environments dull and flat; with all the side activities being boring as all hell. The cities in the previous games were much more fun to roam and climb around on. I'm on sequence 6 and just can't be bothered to keep going.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
For the people who really dislike Connor, have you done enough of the side missions and optional dialogues to really get a sense for him? Granted, he lacks the charm, swagger, and eloquence of Ezio, but I find myself liking him more than I thought I would.

He has a strong sense of loyalty and honor and duty, and his moral sense of right and wrong is almost innocent to a fault. Granted, I'm only just finishing Sequence 7, so it could fall apart, but everything right now in his story and character I've liked. You can really see his mother and particularly Achilles in his decision making and upbringing. He really trusts his mentor (I mean, some magical crystal ball god-like thing sure spooked him into it), but they have a great relationship.

Oh my god, those patch notes are ridiculous. They should not be able to get away with releasing an unfinished game. I know they probably will, but it's not OK.

People played and finished it at launch and had an inferior experience. For me, the patch is too little too late, because i'm already done with the game. And then there are still players who don't even have their consoles online and won't ever get the patch.

I'm really enjoying the game so far but I don't think I'm exaggerating if I say that this one has more bugs than all four earlier installments combined. Still, there's a lot to dig into and have fun with here. From what I played I would call this a "flawed masterpiece". Honestly, if you hated the stealth and feather collection in the previous games you'll hate it here, no surprise. But combat's fun as ever and a bit different from past games, the world is huge and extremely detailed, and there's hours of new side things to do aside from the story that range from "Uh, ok" (letter delivery) to "Whoa, this is amazing!" (naval missions).

Side note - are there folks who still find Desmond's stuff compelling in any way? Because I've made these remarks based solely on the historical sequences. As far as I'm concerned, Desmond's stuff is like a menu thing I can't skip (I'm on sequence 9).

LiK

AC3 is probably the 2nd weakest game in the main series right above AC1. it does the story well but the missions and bugs really spoiled it for me. not even the naval battles can surpass the awesome platforming puzzles in Ezio's games. not even sure if this will be in my top ten.

MaLDo

You are the famous Maldo right ? The maker of the Crysis mod ?

Wow I did not know you posted on Neogaf.

Well thanks for your explanation, this may be a naive question but is this going to crush performance ? Yeah I know you mention "improve performance" but sometimes it's not the case.

Shadow maps using cascades improve performance but it's the way ac III do in all versions. Exclusive for dx11 is the way those cascades are filtered. That dx11 blending makes some performance hit.

Linius

I need some help with prince of thieves achievement. I've raided a couple of convoys without making casualties in different ways now but I still don't have the achievement. Some people say it might be impossible to get it when you have liberated all the forts (like I did). Can anyone confirm this?

And does anyone have a good tip for the achievement where you need to hang five guys with a rope dart. I was so stupid to not do that during the story line and I can't really find random enemies underneath tree branches no more :(

-edit: already have the rope dart one now. Found a tree in New York to do it. Got in a fight with some guards and ran to the tree to hang them :p

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I need some help with prince of thieves achievement. I've raided a couple of convoys without making casualties in different ways now but I still don't have the achievement. Some people say it might be impossible to get it when you have liberated all the forts (like I did). Can anyone confirm this?

And does anyone have a good tip for the achievement where you need to hang five guys with a rope dart. I was so stupid to not do that during the story line and I can't really find random enemies underneath tree branches no more :(

-edit: already have the rope dart one now. Found a tree in New York to do it. Got in a fight with some guards and ran to the tree to hang them :p

I got it after liberating all of the forts but I had the same problem as you. I would take them all down using my fists and it wouldn't register. Then one time it did and I have no idea why.

Has Ubisoft said anything about a patch?

Here you go

Top Bottom