• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

rataven

Shaun needs to throw in the towel on the assassins, and go teach high school history. Just spent the last hour catching up on new entries in the database, and reading it has been more fun than the game.

Tiu Neo

Finished the game, now I just need to 100% a few naval missions and Haytham's last mission, that's bugged as hell for me.

Also, started replaying Assassin's Creed 2. I... Didn't think AC3 was a lot worse than it, before refreshing my memory. But again, AC2 is soooo good.

Why would I ever ship anything to Elizabeth Murray's when Hancock's pays more for everything that i've seen? Am I missing something?

The prices offered by the various stores fluctuate slightly over time. I'm not sure if it's after a full sequence, or just after main missions, but yes the best destination for convoys can and does change.

Replicant

Probably because most people didn't like Revelations as much as I did. ;)

I like Revelations. Nice setting, nice graphic, and the story of Ezio ended pretty well. I didn't know many people didn't like it. :/

Screw the "Chasing Lee" segment. Just screw it. I DID hear though that it's difficulty was being tweaked for the next patch, so there's that...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. I 100% synched that not knowing there'd be a patch in the future. That's so unfair. I thought something was wrong. There should be a checkpoint post the non-bump sequence but it wasn't there. So if you fucked the fire bits, you are screwed and have to start from the very beginning.

Ahasverus

Yep, you can feel Desilet's shadow over the series since he left, it's sad, I'm sure his ideas were fairly great compared to this ever inflating balloon.

Epcott

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. I 100% synched that not knowing there'd be a patch in the future. That's so unfair. I thought something was wrong. There should be a checkpoint post the non-bump sequence but there wasn't there. So if you fucked the fire bits, you are screwed and have to start from the very beginning.

I still can't believe you 100% synched the other missions. How many controllers did you launch into the wall exactly?

Replicant

I still can't believe you 100% synched the other missions. How many controllers did you launch into the wall exactly?

Strangely, strangely, even though I was fuming like Hell, I didn't yell obscenities as much as I did in other games (Hi, Uncharted 3 crushing mode!). Maybe it's the thought that I have new HDTV in front of me prevents me from doing that. Because any violent behavior will cost me dearly.

Is it even worth it to 100% sync? Why would I feel obliged to even DO that.

I don't even know why I did that because I sure as Hell am not going to platinum'd the game. I don't have the patience to level up to 20 on MP. I'm just OCD like I said before and just wanted to prove to myself that I can.

If you are as crazy as I was and want to 100% Synched it though, make sure you recruit Assassins left and right and level them up before sequence 11. Trust me, you'll regret it if you didn't. I sure did. I only had 1 assassin and he died instantly, making life Hell to 100% synched sequence 11/12.

DrPirate

Banned
I like Revelations. Nice setting, nice graphic, and the story of Ezio ended pretty well. I didn't know many people didn't like it. :/

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. I 100% synched that not knowing there'd be a patch in the future. That's so unfair. I thought something was wrong. There should be a checkpoint post the non-bump sequence but it wasn't there. So if you fucked the fire bits, you are screwed and have to start from the very beginning.

I did the same thing brother. I feel the same way. Fuck our lives. We should get an exclusive trophy for beating this game 100% pre-patch.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got that shitty chase segment in sequence 12 full sync by accident when I beat it. The fire hitting you seemed random as hell and you would just fail it sometimes without even getting hurt by anything.

Without aiming for it I actually got most of them, but it seems like the naval stuff would be the most annoying.

Noi

The full sync on some of the Brotherhood sequences added a bit of extra fun and challenge to them, more so since they never went too far with a lot of them. The problem is with AC3's is that they're ridiculously demanding, and the game's own mechanic to a very poor job of acomodating them.

Hell, I could stretch the "why should I do this" to all the collectibles. At least in previous games finishing stuff like feathers and finding all the tombs gave you actual upgrades to your character that made the player feel the side-questing is worthwhile. The rewards in AC3 are all interchangeable and provide next to no incentive to go for them, and that's without getting into why how they're poorly implement within the context of the game.

Jharp

Holy shit fuck these chase sequences and their bullshit full sync objectives. Currently on the Thomas Hickey one, and he takes you in a goddamn circle. What the bloody fuck is that, Montreal? When I realized that, I figured the mission was on some sort of track and that I was supposed to kill him. So I killed him, and desync'd because target died.

I spent about three hours doing side stuff in Boston and the Frontier and had a blast. Frontier is a ton of fun to explore. Hats off to them for that, but seriously, when the most fun part of your game is the side content, and the main content is fucking bananas, someone goofed.

Edit: Oh look at that, you are supposed to attack him, just not with range. pretty cool how hitting square resulted in me pushing someone out of the way to get to him, and QUICKSAVE! Start the memory over to get full sync you dipshit!

Fuck you, Montreal.

conman

Revelations was the beginning of the end. AC on a yearly cycle + no Desilets = BOMBA
I actually agree. But in contrast to AC3, at least Revelations didn't bother trying to tell a story. It was like AC crack. Revelations was AC at its most raw. No story, just awesome mechanics in an awesome environment. Within the AC series, Revelations is sort of like the Beatles' Let It Be. None of the depth or complexity of what came before. Just a shell of their former glory. A bit schizophrenic, but still great for all that.

But, yeah, AC3 proves that without Patrice there is no AC.

conman

But I still don't get your position. With Revelations you have less options to remove notoriety than before. How is that better?
It was more efficient and less obtrusive. Fit more into the regular "flow" of the game and didn't force me to go on a hunt around town for random posters. I could just pop in to bribe a herald real quick (who were always in the same places or could always be found easily by following their loud voices), or if things got really bad, an official would appear on the next street over from wherever I was. So I never had to go look for anything. Bringing my notoriety down in ACR didn't ever interfere with playing the game.

But in the grand scheme of things, this is an incredibly minor quibble. My only reason for bringing it up was as a small piece of evidence that the AC3 team was building off of ideas from earlier games in the series, not from later ones.

jett

D-Member
btw, someone got the pc version early

lfmmY.jpg

VF8In.jpg

I actually agree. But in contrast to AC3, at least Revelations didn't bother trying to tell a story. It was like AC crack. Revelations was AC at its most raw. No story, just awesome mechanics in an awesome environment. Within the AC series, Revelations is sort of like the Beatles' Let It Be. None of the depth or complexity of what came before. Just a shell of their former glory. A bit schizophrenic, but still great for all that.

But, yeah, AC3 proves that without Patrice there is no AC.

Well I didn't like ACR at all so I'll just say I disagree with your notion of awesome mechanics and an awesome environment. :p

conman

Well I didn't like ACR at all so I'll just say I disagree with your notion of awesome mechanics and an awesome environment. :p
As I've made clear in this thread and many others, I openly acknowledge that I'm in the minority when it comes to the AC series:

AC1>ACB>ACR>AC2>AC3 ;)

ACR has its share of problems (total lack of any story whatsoever, poorly designed "walled" missions:
Altair missions, and the opening and closing Ezio missions
), but its core mechanics are the most refined in the series IMO. The environment is a more subjective judgment, but I feel like Istanbul/Constantinople was the most "alive" and culturally detailed environment in the whole series.

No, from this thread I am in the minorty:

AC3 > AC2 > ACB > AC1 > Dead squirrel w/ a stick > ACR

And I thought you were leaving conman? You negative monkies got to move on already *cough* jett *cough*...

jett

D-Member
ACB > AC2 > AC1 > AC3 > ACR

AssBro is the definitive AssCreed experience, it polished the shit out of all the ideas introduced in AC2, and I love that it's a single, huge city without any loading in it. AC2 has got the most gorgeous locales though, obviously.

ACR is quite simply a jumped up 3DS piece of shit that should have never left its originally designated format.

No, from this thread I am in the minorty:

AC3 > AC2 > ACB > AC1 > Dead squirrel w/ a stick > ACR

And I thought you were leaving conman? You negative monkies got to move on already *cough* jett *cough*...

darkness pls

conman

This thread would be pointless if it were just a bunch of AC3 wankery. Love it or hate it, it's a game with problems. And problems are interesting.

By all means, if you insist on muddying up a thread with your personal attacks, go right ahead. But the rest of us would rather talk about the game.

Irish

Damn, Darkness just got told.

and we all know that 1 = Rev, which is better than Brohood, which is slightly better than 3, and ACII is so fucking generic that it automatically is the worst out of the bunch.

conman

ACR is quite simply a jumped up 3DS piece of shit that should have never left its originally designated format.
I prefer the term "bare bones experience." :)

Revelations is like eating pancakes without butter or syrup, or a Hitchcock film without a Bernard Hermann score, or a GAF thread without ">" lists on every page. It's still great, but you know it's missing something very important.

and we all know that 1 = Rev, which is better than Brohood, which is slightly better than 3, and ACII is so fucking generic that it automatically is the worst out of the bunch.

iiGnePzFvk3wF.gif

This thread would be pointless if it were just a bunch of AC3 wankery. Love it or hate it, it's a game with problems. And problems are interesting.

By all means, if you insist on muddying up a thread with your personal attacks, go right ahead. But the rest of us would rather talk about the game.

What's wrong w/ AC3 wankery? I'd be down! My intention wasn't to do personal attacks...

I have completely forgotten why I am playing as Connor.

The English guy in the present if finding power cores for the big mcguffin and you go get them when he finds them but it has no connection to Connors story.

They probably explained this 25 hours of game time ago.

Still in awe at times with this game. I wonder if it was a cross gen project like watchdogs at some point. Just looking at it I get the feeling they where targeting the Durango as the lead for a while but when it got delayed out of 2012 they focused on the current gen stuff but didn't cut back enough. Its just trying too many things on these old systems.

Also I love heavy rain + lightning storms. If only the framerate didnt take a dive during them :(

Eideka

Banned
Last PC version I played was AC:B and that didn't have controller support from memory. Will AC3 on PC?

Your memory is faulty, all previous AC games had native 360 controller support.

There was a glitch with the wireless version in AC2 though, but a fix was quickly found.

AC3 is confirmed to have controller support.

From the system requirements :
Peripherals Supported: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, optional controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows recommended)

Linius

AC2 > AC3 > AC B > AC1. Haven't played Revelations (yet).

Does anyone know what must be done to get 'completionist' and 'perfectionist'? I don't get the difference between these two achievements.

Also, I already have 100% animus data but I still have three Homestead residents left to do for my encyclopedia. That's strange right?

rataven

Man, Connor just becomes more petulant with age. Dude does not have a single ounce of charisma.

Also I love heavy rain + lightning storms. If only the framerate didnt take a dive during them :(

The thunderstorms always seem to kick in at epic moments. I don't know if they're triggered to do that or not, but they've really added to the sense of urgency. Definitely one of my favorite additions.

Troll

Banned
Buy Assassin's Creed: Exposition™ next year and find out.

It's just that if she was able to prevent the end of the world then why didn't Minerva just use that tech before? Did Juno have something no one else had? I mean, she obviously did but could they have elaborated on that a little bit more?

Still in awe at times with this game. I wonder if it was a cross gen project like watchdogs at some point. Just looking at it I get the feeling they where targeting the Durango as the lead for a while but when it got delayed out of 2012 they focused on the current gen stuff but didn't cut back enough. Its just trying too many things on these old systems.

Yea I agree w/ this. It's what I've been saying, feels like a next-gen game crammed to fit on the consoles and didn't fit so well. I still love it though... I'm really damn curious for next gen though. Wonder if they'll do HD Collections for this gen games, I'd love a better running Assassins Creed Collection. Would probably be too big of an undertaking, I'll just be happy w/ the PC versions

exYle

This is your opinion?
Oh my god, this is your opinion.
This opinion actually exists.

huh.

Top Bottom