• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

SRTtoZ

I will say this, the PC version looks absolutely gorgeous maxed out in 1080p. This is the main reason I keep playing plus I do want to see the ending regardless.

Also, is this the engine they are using for Watch-dogs?

iNvid02

I will say this, the PC version looks absolutely gorgeous maxed out in 1080p. This is the main reason I keep playing plus I do want to see the ending regardless.

Also, is this the engine they are using for Watch-dogs?

noooo lol, new engine, this is anvilenext

watchdogs wil be using some real next gen shit, huzzah

bndadm

Quick question (sorry if it was addressed earlier): Does Desmond's satchel/bag clip through him as much as it did during the Giant Bomb quick look? That was absoultely off-putting an awful, but did not see it as much on some other sites.

Quick question (sorry if it was addressed earlier): Does Desmond's satchel/bag clip through him as much as it did during the Giant Bomb quick look? That was absoultely off-putting an awful, but did not see it as much on some other sites.

there are a lot of clipping issues and collisions issues in this game regardless of if you're in the animus or not.

As for your question about desmond bag , the answer is no

SJRB

Gold Member
Why do my arrows, bait, and snares keep disappearing?

Unintentional side-effect in the game which takes away equipment during certain cutscenes and scripted events.

The game owes me at least 10,000 bucks for all the gear it has stolen from me. Those mines and smoke bombs are expensive, man.

If it makes any of you feel any better, Far Cry 3 is about a million times better than this game, in basically every respect.

I honestly wish I'd spent my money on that instead. What I've seen looks pretty amazing.

Ubisoft really should have let Far Cry 3 have this season and allowed more time to be spent further developing AC3. It really needed it...

*sigh*

Zabka

Yes. It's sad.

Amir0x

Banned
Okay. Just beat it. Obviously numerous people (myself included) think that this a significant step down for the series, but does anyone think that it was partially due to the fact that traversal just isn't as fun? Boston is too spread apart, and there aren't enough ways to get through the city like in the older games. New York is okay, but you don't really do anything there. The frontier is neat, but unfortunately traversing in the trees doesn't really get you where you want to go, so you wind up just kinda getting on the ground and holding forward. That seems to be kinda what you do most of the game. Get on the ground, hold forward. Overall, movement just... isn't as fun.

I think it's all a collection of issues that add up to being, for me anyway, an overall mediocre product. I don't think it's a BAD game like some, but there are so many problems that it's impossible for me to play it and not be frustrated by the missed potential.

The cities are terrible though. I've been saying that from the second they announced which cities we'd head to and what time period we'd be going to that it sounds cool on paper, but they're going to be restrained as fuck by the realities of that time period. The cities were simply not developed or varied enough to function as great Assassin Creed locations. Good AC locations need a sense of flow, where roof travel is the preferred method and variety of landmarks and mission design make the cities continually compelling to go through.

But look at what they did to missions. The assassination missions are complete neutered crap and the mail delivery stuff is just sub-Animal Crossing mission design. And then even the missions themselves hardly take place in locations where one can really utilize various approaches to perform assassinations or exhibit compelling platforming. It's all just big step backs from what came before in city design and mission design. They need to return challenge tombs, return to a central importance of platforming and assassinations (a good assassination mission will have half a dozen or more entry points and approaches; will require some level of stealth; will be a unique location that has various platforming nuances. The old AC games had this. This AC game just shits the bucket every time. So few missions compare to what came before in past games..)

cackhyena

Haven't made to NY yet, but I dig Boston. I think the atmosphere is better than any previous city. Navigation isn't as fun, overall, since it's mostly one levels, but the frontier is so good, I don't really care. It's different. i can dig. Mission design sucks a diiiick, though.

DrBo42

Personally I really enjoy the cities in this game. Much less of an emphasis on using the rooftops, makes interacting with the crowds and patrols the focus. For me it makes going up to the rooftops to escape or get the drop on someone a little more "special". I turn on the winter animus hack and go crazy in Boston, it's still fun.

Haven't made to NY yet, but I dig Boston. I think the atmosphere is better than any previous city. Navigation isn't as fun, overall, since it's mostly one levels, but the frontier is so good, I don't really care. It's different. i can dig. Mission design sucks a diiiick, though.

Yeah it's the weakest of all the games.

Amir0x

Banned

Man nothing matches the atmosphere and design of Venice. It slaughterfies Boston and New York.

Florence is a similarly well designed city. The great thing about these cities is that you can ALSO travel just fine on the ground, but roof travel is supremely effective.

In a game about being a stealthy assassin, I'd like to think they can focus on cities such as this. Cities with flow, with variable landmarks that really stand out (how many bland churches do you remember in Boston and New York? a lot. Compare that to Hagia or the Duomo!)

I am a huge fan of Revolutionary War history, but I could hardly get enough enjoyment out of that to offset the downgrade in city gameplay :(

rataven

Yeah, Boston feels like the most 'alive' city yet. It doesn't have the recognizable landmarks of Rome, etc. but everything going on within it really brings it to life. I've actually spent 5 minutes just people watching. Almost every NPC has some small little task or destination, even if it's just to use the bathroom, of all things. And I've never been big on roof traversal, so the loss of structural height doesn't bother me at all. The underground has been a decent alternative and feels more immersive and assassin-y. Boston's a beautifully realized city.

I do, however, loathe the redcoat drummer banging away at the rear of every patrol. Thank god for poison darts.

And this game is sorely lacking in Jesper Kyd's signature city themes -- Home in Florence, City of Rome, Welcome to Kostantiniyye. Easily some of his best work, and his gorgeous compositions are hugely missed here in ACIII.

cackhyena

Yep, much more alive feeling for me. For sure, the landmarks of previous cities is lacking, but that doesn't equal lived in, like Boston is for me. So many more little details scattered about if you are looking enough. And the sound design feels like a step up, which helps.

iNvid02

only noticed how much atmosphere this game oozes when i got my hands on the pc version, the cities aren't as sprawling as previous games but they feel incredibly alive

the lack of music whilst exploring sucks though

cackhyena

only noticed how much atmosphere this game oozes when i got my hands on the pc version, the cities aren't as sprawling as previous games but they feel incredibly alive

the lack of music whilst exploring sucks though
Yeah, I'm on pc as well. Agreed about the music.

rataven

just listen to this right here:

Istanbul

The feeling I got climbing up a tower while this started playing was just insane. Atmospheric overload

His music contributed so much to that breathtaking feeling you'd get when you'd reach the pinnacle of some towering structure and spin the camera around to take in the vista. Chills and butterflies at the same time.

It's criminal Ubi didn't ask Kyd back. Just one more instance of 'what the hell were they thinking?'.

Amir0x

Banned
His music contributed so much to that breathtaking feeling you'd get when you'd reach the pinnacle of some towering structure and spin the camera around to take in the vista. Chills and butterflies at the same time.

It's criminal Ubi didn't ask Kyd back. Just one more instance of 'what the hell were they thinking?'.

There was some good stuff in the ACIII soundtrack (I liked the music that played when you enter naval battles), but yeah it's definitely a world of difference in quality. It is hard not to get sucked into the world when you have music as compelling as what Kyd put together.

Dartastic

I think it's all a collection of issues that add up to being, for me anyway, an overall mediocre product. I don't think it's a BAD game like some, but there are so many problems that it's impossible for me to play it and not be frustrated by the missed potential.

The cities are terrible though. I've been saying that from the second they announced which cities we'd head to and what time period we'd be going to that it sounds cool on paper, but they're going to be restrained as fuck by the realities of that time period. The cities were simply not developed or varied enough to function as great Assassin Creed locations. Good AC locations need a sense of flow, where roof travel is the preferred method and variety of landmarks and mission design make the cities continually compelling to go through.

But look at what they did to missions. The assassination missions are complete neutered crap and the mail delivery stuff is just sub-Animal Crossing mission design. And then even the missions themselves hardly take place in locations where one can really utilize various approaches to perform assassinations or exhibit compelling platforming. It's all just big step backs from what came before in city design and mission design. They need to return challenge tombs, return to a central importance of platforming and assassinations (a good assassination mission will have half a dozen or more entry points and approaches; will require some level of stealth; will be a unique location that has various platforming nuances. The old AC games had this. This AC game just shits the bucket every time. So few missions compare to what came before in past games..)
I completely agree. I also do not believe that it's a BAD game, merely that it is a game that had so much squandered potential.

The reason why I brought up the traversal first and foremost instead of the myriad of other problems that the game has is because this series has always been about traversal. Moving around and climbing things is the core gameplay mechanic, and in this game it isn't just much fun, due to the environments. While I agree that they definitely were constrained due to the time period, it's like the designers didn't even try to make the game work in that "flow" that is so important. How hard would it be to maybe put some connecting lines across the buildings that way I don't constantly have to drop all the way to the ground floor and climb something again? It would make the game far more fun.

I also understand the problems in designing something so complex as the Frontier, but you can't even climb half the trees out there, and the ones that you CAN climb need some sort of pad to even get up into them. THEN, once you even GET into the trees, you can barely even go in the direction you want because the only trees you can climb on take you in a completely different direction. Then sometimes while you're attempting to climb stuff, the control system shits the bed. It's ridiculous.

And yes, the missions are crap. The assassination missions only have one real point of entry, and it's ridiculously easy to screw it up. The tutorial was WAY too long; it ended at the 5 hour mark and I beat the game at the 12 hour mark. I didn't feel like I wanted to or even needed to do any of the side missions, so I didn't. The story seemed like it was jumping all over the place, and had no sense of flow. You can tell that the lead writer of Brotherhood (my personal favorite in terms of writing, he also designed the awesome puzzles in AC2) moved on, and sure enough he did. He moved on to write Far Cry 3.

Ugh. So much squandered potential. :/

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Really hope they don't do a Conner trilogy. I'd even prefer a Haytham prequel over that.

rataven

wait underground? You can explore that stuff? Thought it was just a one off mission.

Where do i find the entrance to those?

The only entrances initially available are the ones you explore with Sam Adams. There should be icons on your map marking their locations. Once you access them, you can then take different routes and open up new quick travel locations after solving a few easy puzzles. It's nothing mindblowing, but it's something different.

Man nothing matches the atmosphere and design of Venice. It slaughterfies Boston and New York.

Florence is a similarly well designed city. The great thing about these cities is that you can ALSO travel just fine on the ground, but roof travel is supremely effective.

In a game about being a stealthy assassin, I'd like to think they can focus on cities such as this. Cities with flow, with variable landmarks that really stand out (how many bland churches do you remember in Boston and New York? a lot. Compare that to Hagia or the Duomo!)

I am a huge fan of Revolutionary War history, but I could hardly get enough enjoyment out of that to offset the downgrade in city gameplay :(

Well, these cities were what they were compared to Venice and the like. The wilderness is what sets this game apart from the others, not the cities. Why aren't people focusing on that?

I've been listening to a series of documentaries on the Rev war and loving it. Have any recommendations, Ami?

cackhyena

Well, these cities were what they were compared to Venice and the like. The wilderness is what sets this game apart from the others, not the cities. Why aren't people focusing on that?

I've been listening to a series of documentaries on the Rev war and loving it. Have any recommendations, Ami?
I adore it. That and the naval stuff are the best parts.

I just wish Connor had some ninja training so can can ninja walk over heavy snow faster :/

Same for the horses :p

Super frustrating when you reach a small stream that your horse won't wade across and no bridge or shallow area is nearby.

cackhyena

Horses have somehow improved exactly zero in this series. So terrible. I kinda like him having to trudge through the snow. Maybe that will wear on me more the deeper I get into it.

_Isaac

Horses have somehow improved exactly zero in this series. So terrible. I kinda like him having to trudge through the snow. Maybe that will wear on me more the deeper I get into it.

I didn't realize you could whistle for your horse until I got to the Connor section. I had Haytham walking through snow at a snail's pace. It was so annoying.

I need some help:

End of sequence 5/modern day:
Went to Manhattan, came back, put the power source in the right spot and had two conversations with Juno, then Desmond had the conversation with his father about how we had to be careful/finally sort of explaining Lucy's death. I continued on, and the Juno hologram is how on this ledge overlooking most of the cave, I make my way other there and there doesn't appear to anything I can do or anywhere I can go?

I need some help:

End of sequence 5/modern day:
Went to Manhattan, came back, put the power source in the right spot and had two conversations with Juno, then Desmond had the conversation with his father about how we had to be careful/finally sort of explaining Lucy's death. I continued on, and the Juno hologram is how on this ledge overlooking most of the cave, I make my way other there and there doesn't appear to anything I can do or anywhere I can go?

I'm stuck there with Desmond too, halp.

I continued on, and the Juno hologram is how on this ledge overlooking most of the cave, I make my way other there and there doesn't appear to anything I can do or anywhere I can go?

Juno hovers at the point where you'll need to insert the next power core when you get it. You'll get the next one after another few Sequences, and then just go back to where she is to plug it in.

Juno hovers at the point where you'll need to insert the next power core when you get it. You'll get the next one after another few Sequences, and then just go back to where she is to plug it in.

Shit for me I meant to say I can't figure out how to get over there....all of the other ones so far have been pretty straightforward, but this one.....

Collider

Banned
Completed the game last week. Playing side missions now. Completed homstead missions and crafted all the inventions and special items.

Just some random things which came into my mind.

- Starting of the game is a drag. Its not slow, its a damn drag. They could have made that Sequence 3 to Sequence 1. Remove is useless ship parts at the starting and made all those 3 sequences just into 1.

- Played on PC, Port was a good one. Ran almost smooth in my low end laptop.

- Connor is a good character, not as good as Ezio. But Ezio was like one of the best characters in this gen. Feeling like theres a lot more in Connor to grow. I want ubi to do atleast one more Connor game. Want to know where Connor reaches at the end of his life.

- Mission structures was bad. Seriously bad. I put it in the head of Director and lead game designer. Game spend a lot of time explaining simple and easy things, while never explains complex things like trading and many execution we could perform.

- Game felt like it never had enough playtesting, I never encountered much bugs, But some missions and optional objectives could have been far better.

- Lorne Balfe was good, but not as good as Jesper Kyd. They should have stayed with him.

- City's are comparatively boring. I know they main attraction was forest and tree climbing, but it never felt as good as previous games climbing.

- WHY THE FUCK "NOTHING IS TRUE, EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED" NOT EVEN SAID OR TALKED ABOUT ONCE IN THE GAME? WHY?

- They went the wrong way with controls and fighting. Traversal were not only simplified, they fucked it up too. Fighting? just too easy, even than previous games. I think they should have stayed with lock on system.

- Naval battles are awesome. Seriously awesome. Felt like they should have included some kind of free roaming too.

- Worst final mission in the history of a AAA game ever.

- Epic VA

- A step back over AC2 and ACB. Just above ACR.

- Clipping issues, clipping issues, clipping issues.

- I din't have any problem with the ending, But only the way they showed it. It should have been handled the way Desilet handled in his games.

- And GODDAMN IT! Call Patrice Desilets BACK.

And One doubt, I sent a convoy for trading, it got attack which I was taking a shit. (It was never explained that it will get attacked and we could save it.) When I got got back, All i say was 5 seconds left. I lost it, and its an X mark in trading menu now. Anyway to get back that convoy or replace it with a new one?

Exodus

Banned
The Good

-game runs great on pc and looks okay

The Bad

-They do not notify you about full sync objectives until you fail them.
(Note: You should not have to pull up a menu just to see Full Sync requirements that removes you from game play, it's a break from immersion and it's POOR GAME DESIGN)
-Lack of a stealth system pains me, I can't hide against a waist high crate?
-Don't quite understand why my mouse 1 click can't double as shooting as well when I lock on to something,
-The AI is terrible. It really makes me appreciate hitman that much more and playing this game makes me really miss hitman mechanics. Open world Hitman please.

The Ugly

-When guards follow you into the water they die.
-The AI for this game is just brutal. I mean BRUTAL. I am in neutral territory on some farmers land. There's a patrol passing by so I'm shadowing them by running into the barn. There's farm hands milling about, talking all that great ambient stuff. The patrol picks out my footsteps out of their 6-8 man marching band from the other side of the barn's wall and pegs it as BAD GUY KILL HIM immediately. I think they set the AI for these NPCs as hostile territory AI.

What I love

-The more I play this game the angrier Connor gets and it matches how pissed off I am at the bad game design and the total lack of polish this game has.

They might have hit their major bugs but there are things that are total duct tape rush job all over. The save the logger mission was piss poor. The UI handling of the god awful caravan/trading. Why, WHY is whistle the same button as loot? Do they not know that when you do a corner kill you loot the body while you are at a corner? That was just brilliant whoever came up with that.

The only way Ubisoft is going to revive my willingness to purchase assassins creed again is to go the orients next game.
Thank god for Connor I really do love this character more than Ezio I think he has more in common with Altair than Ezio does.
The one redeeming factor is the naval battles are fun and offer a great naval battle experience as a video game mechanic.

If it makes any of you feel any better, Far Cry 3 is about a million times better than this game, in basically every respect.

You're a lunatic, farcry 3 takes the worst parts of the AC franchise (fetch quest, collectible hoarding, copy pasta "synchronising"/radio tower bullshit) and ratchets it up to retarded levels.

it's grotesquely lazy game design for aspergians.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
- WHY THE FUCK "NOTHING IS TRUE, EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED" NOT EVEN SAID OR TALKED ABOUT ONCE IN THE GAME? WHY?

They already moved away from that being anything remotely interesting in Revelations, at the same time that they started to move the Assassins towards basically just being liberals:

"To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

KevinCow

Banned
I'm like halfway through and I'm honestly confused about all the negativity surrounding this game. I think it's the best one so far. It's like they actually listened to my issues with the AC2 trilogy and implemented the fixes I would have suggested.

Traversal simplified down to one button? Check.

Combat was completely revamped, taking heavy inspiration from Batman, and is therefore the first combat system in the series that isn't utter dogshit? Check.

Chill out with the rooftop guards, because there doesn't need to be one on every other damn roof? Check.

Plus I honestly find tree climbing far more fun than building climbing. Just jumping tree to tree through the frontier is a ton of fun.

And it's probably just because I'm American, but I find this setting and time period where I actually have some vague understanding of what's going on far more interesting than any of the previous games.

I'm like halfway through and I'm honestly confused about all the negativity surrounding this game. I think it's the best one so far. It's like they actually listened to my issues with the AC2 trilogy and implemented the fixes I would have suggested.

Traversal simplified down to one button? Check.

Combat was completely revamped, taking heavy inspiration from Batman, and is therefore the first combat system in the series that isn't utter dogshit? Check.

Chill out with the rooftop guards, because there doesn't need to be one on every other damn roof? Check.

Plus I honestly find tree climbing far more fun than building climbing. Just jumping tree to tree through the frontier is a ton of fun.

And it's probably just because I'm American, but I find this setting and time period where I actually have some vague understanding of what's going on far more interesting than any of the previous games.

But none of that stuff gets rid of the terrible mission designed carried over from the 2 trilogy. If anything it failed in that regard compared to Brotherhood. The linear missions are not filled with enough action (and the semi openness also create frustrating gameplay), and variety of the tombs. They don't go all the way with any of the design decisions, and it's obvious just playing the game.

The mainline missions are more frustrating just in the way it is designed. They try to implement stealth quite a bit but with predetermine locations to hide all being grass, and often the grass having areas where your character randomly gets up, so you might as well treat the game as an action game.

I guess the combat is a bit better, but it's not that responsive at all. You are often waiting for an animation to finish, kind of like the delay reaction in GTA4 just to walk.

Traversal is a hit or miss. Still, the best thing in the game so I can't complain a lot there. This would not be AC if it didn't have this, and I don't get some people's complaints about this being automatic platforming. It is what it is.

Side content is the only reason I can say this is the best AC. It's finally compelling to do all the side content. Maybe is because US history is not super exciting, but maybe they should have made AC3 "Patriot the videogame."

Gattsu25

Banned
The amount of time I had to wait before I was able to fuck around and do what I wanted to do was VERY high with this game. Also, not a huge fan how (first 5 hour spoiler)
just as I was starting to like Hatham as a character the game pulled a REALLY lame twist and then plopped me in control of Connor
, a cypher with no personality other than that of a petulant child.

I like the wilderness, dislike how slowly the map is filled in, dislike trudging through the snow, hate the story missions, hate the hunting, hate the homestead management, dislike the poor performance and bad IQ on PS3, find the game awfully drained of color and personality, and love the act of fighting groups of enemies.

It's the enemies that keep me playing. They are probably the only thing keeping me invested in this game. The story has been balls out terrible and I must admit that I am finding every second with Desmond to be the worst time I am spending with the game. I'm not sure if I'll play any more of this game. This is only made better by uplay being completely fucked and not letting me sign into my uplay account.

Also, I'm personally disappointed at how slavery is mentioned once and never touched on again (I have just finished the second power source mission). For a game series that has been known to touch on some oft-ignored subjects, this game steers clear away from an important subject in American history.

SJRB

Gold Member
The amount of time I had to wait before I was able to fuck around and do what I wanted to do was VERY high with this game. Also, not a huge fan how (first 5 hour spoiler)
just as I was starting to like Hatham as a character the game pulled a REALLY lame twist and then plopped me in control of Connor
, a cypher with no personality other than that of a petulant child.

I like the wilderness, dislike how slowly the map is filled in, dislike trudging through the snow, hate the story missions, hate the hunting, hate the homestead management, dislike the poor performance and bad IQ on PS3, find the game awfully drained of color and personality, and love the act of fighting groups of enemies.

It's the enemies that keep me playing. They are probably the only thing keeping me invested in this game. The story has been balls out terrible and I must admit that I am finding every second with Desmond to be the worst time I am spending with the game. I'm not sure if I'll play any more of this game. This is only made better by uplay being completely fucked and not letting me sign into my uplay account.

Also, I'm personally disappointed at how slavery is mentioned once and never touched on again (I have just finished the second power source mission). For a game series that has been known to touch on some oft-ignored subjects, this game steers clear away from an important subject in American history.

There will be another moment where slavery comes up, and it is mindblowing how bad the game handles that.

WHY DO I HAVE NO ARROWS WHEN I BOUGHT THEM A FEW MISSIONS AGO!

STOP TAKING MY ARROWS UBISOFT!

i realised that the game did that and then i just like stopped buying them until i'm sure i won't do main missions... the arrows in particular would have made some mission way too easy

Top Bottom