• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Been playing for a bit, a few things.

1. The combat is ridiculously easy, I was at 3 noterity and for some reason waves and waves of enemies kept spawning on me in Boston (both british and american soldiers), I was fighting for 11mins full life the entire time.
-With that said, despite the combat being easy, because it's soooo good and rewarding I had fun for that entire time without combat fatigue kicking in, that's saying alot. I honestly love just running up on random squads of red coats and killing them.

2. I actually like the wilderness setting, I know many people say that's the low point, but I'm all about the mini game/doing everything but the campaign. I just wish there was more to do in the wilderness.

3. The naval battles hands down are fucking amazing, I find myself getting sucked into those for hours at a time.

4. Fuck Desmond sections

5. Fuck Desmond sections

6. Fuck some of these expert level board games...except traditional checkers, I seem to be really good at that.

With that said, I'm completely lost on this whole aritisan/crafting business. I just did the Boston Tea Party segment, and I still only have the woodcraft guy as my artisan what gives?!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
UBI Workshop Special Edition came today.

img_20121128_16372094uns.jpg

img_20121128_1638364yuu1.jpg

img_20121128_163906dvutv.jpg

img_20121128_163922u5uth.jpg

img_20121128_16392865x65.jpg

img_20121128_164119b4o74.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It is badass! With the comic and all.

But then you play AC3 which ruined the story done by the comics.

No kidding. (full ac3 spoilers)
With the way they handled it in the game I don't even understand why they bothered tying it in to the (excellent) comic and bringing in Cross. Not only do they not do anything remotely interesting with him, they have you unceremoniously kill him without anything more than a couple lines of dialogue with Rebecca later on. Of course, his shrugworthy death pales in comparison to the shittiness of Desmond's.

The quality of the box everything comes in is really poor. Gave me a very bad first impression of the set. The encyclopedia is awesome, but of course the game had to go and single-handedly ruin the series' story. Personally, I feel dumb for dropping $100 on it.

Reading the analysis and developer commentary in the SE strategy guide eases my mind about the story after reading all the hate in here.

For those angered by Connor's actions and choices, remember
he was told by a "spirit guide" to seek out the assassin logo and fulfill a task he was destined to do.
Per his people's beliefs, that was probably a very strong motivator to continue his quest even if it reeked of naivety.

so i just got this game and got to the ship battles.. wow.. why can't they just make a standalone pirate game like this? the ocean effect, weather, and the controls all felt nice. then again, what would you do the entire time on a ship for a week journey

so i just got this game and got to the ship battles.. wow.. why can't they just make a standalone pirate game like this? the ocean effect, weather, and the controls all felt nice. then again, what would you do the entire time on a ship for a week journey

Fast travel, like in Wing Commander when you would have long patrol missions with waypoints you would always have the option to fast travel to the next waypoint: if something came up then you would be brought out of fast travel and the action would begin. You could have the captain retiring to his quarters as the fast travel option, and coming out of fast travel would be captain coming out of his quarters and the first mate reporting "lookouts have spotted a ship/land captain!" and the order to beat to quarters.

It would make for a great privateer game ala Elite/Privateer/Freelancer. The combat could include the ship-to-ship stuff with cannon etc., but also ship-to-shore stuff with cannon (e.g. forts), and then hand to hand stuff both on ship decks and on shore. You add the trading/smuggling/piracy/war stuff to that and maybe the ability to take control of (and build/upgrade) coastal towns and forts and you've got a solid basis for a standalone game.

I could easily see you getting 'privateer' missions from agents of the crown (e.g. covertly intercept this English/Spanish/French ship), piracy missions based on spies (e.g. "fully laden gold ship leaving port X on Y date"), smuggling missions from shady characters (where the idea is to slip through a blockade/tight channel under the cover of darkness with a focus on ship control rather than combat), as well as being hired by one of the European powers to fight with them in various large scale naval engagements. And that's just for the ship-based stuff, before considering what you could do on land...

Fast travel, like in Wing Commander when you would have long patrol missions with waypoints you would always have the option to fast travel to the next waypoint: if something came up then you would be brought out of fast travel and the action would begin. You could have the captain retiring to his quarters as the fast travel option, and coming out of fast travel would be captain coming out of his quarters and the first mate reporting "lookouts have spotted a ship/land captain!" and the order to beat to quarters.

It would make for a great privateer game ala Elite/Privateer/Freelancer. The combat could include the ship-to-ship stuff with cannon etc., but also ship-to-shore stuff with cannon (e.g. forts), and then hand to hand stuff both on ship decks and on shore. You add the trading/smuggling/piracy/war stuff to that and maybe the ability to take control of (and build/upgrade) coastal towns and forts and you've got a solid basis for a standalone game.

I could easily see you getting 'privateer' missions from agents of the crown (e.g. covertly intercept this English/Spanish/French ship), piracy missions based on spies (e.g. "fully laden gold ship leaving port X on Y date"), smuggling missions from shady characters (where the idea is to slip through a blockade/tight channel under the cover of darkness with a focus on ship control rather than combat), as well as being hired by one of the European powers to fight with them in various large scale naval engagements. And that's just for the ship-based stuff, before considering what you could do on land...

Uh...Ubisoft? MAKE THIS GAME.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I was actually disappointed when I finished all the naval missions. I wanted more.

Naval DLC Expedition 1 - 5 incoming. :|

Does anyone who's played multiplayer have any experience with creating clans? Does having a clan allow you to be on the same teams as whoever else is a part of your clan? I ask because my friend and I were playing the other night and even though we were in the same "group" we kept getting put on different teams.

SRTtoZ

Ubisoft needs to hand this franchise off to a more capable developer. I am trying so hard to like this game but its a bug ridden mess with a million questionable design decisons. Also, who at Ubisoft (i want his name) thinks its a good idea that you have to tear down fucking posters over and over and over again?? Just stop it!

I know nobody's with me on this, but I've always been into Assassin's Creed for the Desmond stuff. The historical action games have been a pleasant diversion, but the future stuff is what I was really all about. Ever since Kristen Bell let it slip in an interview that Assassin's Creed was a sci fi game, I've been totally in love with trying to figure out just what the hell was going on in the future. With the Metal Gear Solid series all but over, Assassin's Creed was my new outlet for boundless speculation, and the Glyph puzzles in AC2, the Truth video (and platforming level!) in Brotherhood, and even bits of Subject 16's rambling in Revelations were exactly what I wanted.

It's not that I think the First Civilization nonsense is really compelling, or that Desmond is anything but a total bore, I just really liked the way the mystery was presented. I didn't care about the actual content of the 'hidden' story, I just thought it was cool to go behind the curtains of the Animus and find it all out by myself. I've been waiting for the payoff to Desmond's story since the moment I pickpocketed Lucy's ID key thing in Assassin's Creed 1 and discovered that there was so much more to this thing than I'd ever expected. I finished AC3 today and, well, that payoff was pretty shitty. I never really expected anything mindblowing, but I was hoping there'd be a definitive end to the future story. AC3's just finishes with another sequel setup, because Ubisoft is absolutely determined to run this series into the ground. I'd love to know what the original plan for the Assassin's Creed trilogy was, before they stretched it into five main games, a bunch of spinoffs and God knows how many comics and web serieses and Facebook minigames.

The worst thing is that I'll probably be going down with the ship. Even though I didn't really like AC3, Steam says I've put forty goddamn hours into it. Even after that lacklustre ending I felt all the excitement come flooding back once that disembodied voice started talking about Animus Pivots. I'm disgusted with myself.

UrbanRats

The more i play, the more problems come up, unfortunately.
The Frontier is so beautiful and approaching a taken fort was amazing... until i actually tried to enter it stealthly, then all the game's bugs and design problems came to bite me in the ass, and i found myself running around in circles cutting heads.
Unfortunately, the stealth it's just one, of the many things that are seriously fucked in this game.
I literally cannot go 2 minutes, in a mission, without witnessing at least 1 glitch/bug.

And by GOD, how fucking dead and uninteresting is Connor (and his voice actor is terrible)?

Ubisoft screwed the pooch with this one. They had the perfect opportunity to position him as a/the primary antagonist in a modern-set AC game, which honestly needed to be the final setting but NOPE, but waste it in an attempt to "wrap everything up."

SJRB

Gold Member
I know nobody's with me on this, but I've always been into Assassin's Creed for the Desmond stuff. The historical action games have been a pleasant diversion, but the future stuff is what I was really all about. Ever since Kristen Bell let it slip in an interview that Assassin's Creed was a sci fi game, I've been totally in love with trying to figure out just what the hell was going on in the future. With the Metal Gear Solid series all but over, Assassin's Creed was my new outlet for boundless speculation, and the Glyph puzzles in AC2, the Truth video (and platforming level!) in Brotherhood, and even bits of Subject 16's rambling in Revelations were exactly what I wanted.

It's not that I think the First Civilization nonsense is really compelling, or that Desmond is anything but a total bore, I just really liked the way the mystery was presented. I didn't care about the actual content of the 'hidden' story, I just thought it was cool to go behind the curtains of the Animus and find it all out by myself. I've been waiting for the payoff to Desmond's story since the moment I pickpocketed Lucy's ID key thing in Assassin's Creed 1 and discovered that there was so much more to this thing than I'd ever expected. I finished AC3 today and, well, that payoff was pretty shitty. I never really expected anything mindblowing, but I was hoping there'd be a definitive end to the future story. AC3's just finishes with another sequel setup, because Ubisoft is absolutely determined to run this series into the ground. I'd love to know what the original plan for the Assassin's Creed trilogy was, before they stretched it into five main games, a bunch of spinoffs and God knows how many comics and web serieses and Facebook minigames.

The worst thing is that I'll probably be going down with the ship. Even though I didn't really like AC3, Steam says I've put forty goddamn hours into it. Even after that lacklustre ending I felt all the excitement come flooding back once that disembodied voice started talking about Animus Pivots. I'm disgusted with myself.

The Desmond segments always had some sense of mystery to them, like there was something much bigger waiting on the horizon.

The glyph puzzles from ACII were top notch, they really sold me on this global shadow war, and how the Templars run the world with the help of the pieces of Eden. The way they integrated this game's lore with actual historic moments and characters through those glyphs was pretty stunning work. During ACII and even Brotherhood I had the feeling that in the Desmond segments something was about to go down that would change the world forever.

..and then came ACIII which casually plunged 5 years of story building into the abyss, shrugged and said "see you next year, motherfucker".

Soul_Pie

I quite like the Desmond stuff but I despise the whole god/other beings storyline which is woeful. I know it's hard to separate the two though.

conman

You're not alone. Unfortunately, that part of the storyline spiraled downward progressively in the series from Philip K. Dick (AC1) to Dan Brown (AC2, except for the brilliant ending) to Michael Bay (AC3).

LuchaShaq

Banned
Either in spoiler text or pm can someone explain the story implications of (end game thing)
the animus synching with pivots? Do I get anything by doing these except for cheats? Any more story stuff?

Honestly at this point I'd be happier if AC ditched 100% of the modern day/old gods nonsense and just focused on cool cities in cool eras nothing else.

Midou

Either in spoiler text or pm can someone explain the story implications of (end game thing)
the animus synching with pivots? Do I get anything by doing these except for cheats? Any more story stuff?

Honestly at this point I'd be happier if AC ditched 100% of the modern day/old gods nonsense and just focused on cool cities in cool eras nothing else.

I've always said the series would have been much better had it just been an Assassins vs Templars thing in various eras. No desmond scenes, no glitches appearing on maps, and no futuristic menus. This would have made the immersion much better I'd say. You could also alternate playing each side, and not have to stick with one forced overarching plot, simply having improved/new systems with each game and a new location.

Dartastic

Okay. Just beat it. Obviously numerous people (myself included) think that this a significant step down for the series, but does anyone think that it was partially due to the fact that traversal just isn't as fun? Boston is too spread apart, and there aren't enough ways to get through the city like in the older games. New York is okay, but you don't really do anything there. The frontier is neat, but unfortunately traversing in the trees doesn't really get you where you want to go, so you wind up just kinda getting on the ground and holding forward. That seems to be kinda what you do most of the game. Get on the ground, hold forward. Overall, movement just... isn't as fun.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
They needed some fast travel points in the frontier. The underground stuff is too dull to actually complete, though I did end up doing more than half of the Boston ones. -_-

rataven

I've been pretty patient and forgiving with this game, but I think I've finally reached my breaking point with this latest patch. The stupidity that went into the decision to include a 'Press O to Skip Cinematic' prompt that displays during the entirety of EVERY cutscene is astounding. They 'fixed' something that wasn't even broken.

KingKong

The game just isn't good

Combat - stupidly easy, stealth is barely used as a mechanic at all (because it barely works)

Free running/parkour - used very sparingly for missions and there weren't any fun places to climb like in the old games. I did like the tree running through

Story and characters - Haytham was good, but everyone else was just boring and the plot barely makes any sense

Side content - I liked the naval missions and the captain kidd ones (except for having to collect trinkets) but the homestead stuff, mail delivery, hunting, etc, were just busywork

Main missions - A few good ones, but most had lots of pointless cutscenes, slowly walking to objectives, eavesdropping/following people (I don't know who would like these things) and honestly, they were just lame. Stuff like Paul Revere's mission, Lexington and Concord, Bunker Hill, Tea Party could have had exciting gameplay instead of repetitive 'ride to objective and knock on houses 3 times' or 'run between two ships and kill small groups of enemies'

The world itself - I like the frontier a lot but it's barely utilized in missions, I found lots of cool looking places just hunting trinkets, the cities were disappointing, not fun to be in at all

Zeliard

If it makes any of you feel any better, Far Cry 3 is about a million times better than this game, in basically every respect.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I've just finished I guess the Haytham 'tutorial' section, and found myself enjoying it despite not being totally enthused by the setting. Is it possible I'll like the rest or is this where it goes downhill?

Finished

Storyline was bad. Ending was awful. Setting didn't interest me as much as previous ACs. Gameplay was pretty good though. Whole thing was not as good as Brohood. I'd say ACB>AC2>AC:Rev=AC3>AC1.

Game set in Revolutionary France next please Ubi, but without the 'AND SECRETLY THE ASSASSINS DID IT ALL :)' angle please.
No way that revelations is better than AC3.

xenist

Okay. Just beat it. Obviously numerous people (myself included) think that this a significant step down for the series, but does anyone think that it was partially due to the fact that traversal just isn't as fun? Boston is too spread apart, and there aren't enough ways to get through the city like in the older games. New York is okay, but you don't really do anything there. The frontier is neat, but unfortunately traversing in the trees doesn't really get you where you want to go, so you wind up just kinda getting on the ground and holding forward. That seems to be kinda what you do most of the game. Get on the ground, hold forward. Overall, movement just... isn't as fun.

It was for me too. Contrary to the popular opinion I hated the tree climbing stuff. The roof running was a bit better but too broken up. You never had any room to really get into it. Running on the ground in cities was terrible. Running on the ground in the frontier is boring. After all these games and it still has the same exact problems. You still stick to the most ridiculous things. Move the stick a hair too far and you'll end up trying to climb some stall like a dumbass while your target is hauling ass and getting away. I gave up on this around Sequence 6.

SRTtoZ

I've just finished I guess the Haytham 'tutorial' section, and found myself enjoying it despite not being totally enthused by the setting. Is it possible I'll like the rest or is this where it goes downhill?

The haytham parts were my favorite. Good luck after that.

Also, why is stealth broken? Maybe im biased since I just beat Hitman absolution but the stealth in this game is absolutely awful.

Dartastic

It was for me too. Contrary to the popular opinion I hated the tree climbing stuff. The roof running was a bit better but too broken up. You never had any room to really get into it. Running on the ground in cities was terrible. Running on the ground in the frontier is boring. After all these games and it still has the same exact problems. You still stick to the most ridiculous things. Move the stick a hair too far and you'll end up trying to climb some stall like a dumbass while your target is hauling ass and getting away. I gave up on this around Sequence 6.
I didn't HATE the tree climbing, but it was so janky and slow it wasn't even worth doing it. I enjoyed it, when it worked. Which is to say, almost never.

Running on roofs was crummy because they were too far apart, guards saw you almost immediately, and then once you got on one and got detected, you'd just have to go to the ground again and deal with a million guards. So depressing. It didn't have to be this bad. The designers really dropped the ball here. How hard would it have been to add more ropes and stuff to connect the buildings?

funny enough i just started hitman absolution. Trying to play the stealth like AC3 is pretty weird :/

But no fail states!

Speaking of trees. They had like half a grand people working on this game, could they not have designed more than 1 'sync' tree types?

cackhyena

Game has bullshit to get over for sure. Dumb design decisions left and right, but more often than not, I'm finding myself having fun. The frontier is so well realized and adds something the series never had previously in atmosphere. Tree climbing owns roof jumping for me. Always like running around in well realized woods more than urban environments anyway.

jmro

I think the game could use more eavesdropping and slow following missions.

Nothing makes Connor seem like more of a badass than listening to a conversation of no consequence between two characters that are irrelevant while awkwardly running up a wall instead of rounding a corner.

rataven

In retrospect, the Haytham stuff was actually the best part of the main story, for me at least. Connor is dull as dishwater. But once you take full control of him, the majority of the game will open up, including naval warfare. So you win some, you lose some.

anyone else feel like the game core systems need a huge revamp?

Seriously, if they can redesign combat and traversal or what not in which all these sidequests and what not can give you tangible rewards as in, faster combat combos, or ways to counter kill 'elite type enemies' or make building traversal 10% faster. Some actual progression system.

It's like they have all these systems in place, but no one tried to figure out how they work with each other.

Denzar

Ugh. Still not having fun in this game.

Couple of questions:

1) Can you still throw weapons you've picked up? Like big axes, etc... like in previous AC games?

2) How do fuck do you double assassinate? Was never able to pull it off.

3) Combo's. How do they work? When you executed one dude, you just press the direction towards another enemy + X (attack) right?

For having such an elaborate tutorial, this game sure leaves me with a lot of simple/stupid questions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
anyone else feel like the game core systems need a huge revamp?

Seriously, if they can redesign combat and traversal or what not in which all these sidequests and what not can give you tangible rewards as in, faster combat combos, or ways to counter kill 'elite type enemies' or make building traversal 10% faster. Some actual progression system.

It's like they have all these systems in place, but no one tried to figure out how they work with each other.

That's my biggest complaint about the game. All of the systems feel so disjointed. It makes sense, though. With all of the different teams and studios that worked on the game, I'm surprised it came together as well as it did.

Wix

Ugh. Still not having fun in this game.

Couple of questions:

1) Can you still throw weapons you've picked up? Like big axes, etc... like in previous AC games?

3) Combo's. How do they work? When you executed one dude, you just press the direction towards another enemy + X (attack) right?

For having such an elaborate tutorial, this game sure leaves me with a lot of simple/stupid questions.

1) Yes

2) From the ground, you need to perfectly position yourself between two guards. Kinda hard. Way easier to do it from above, pretty much automatic then.

3) Yes. You can also use A to disarm, B to grab and throw or Y to use your ranged weapon instead of going straight for the kill.

combat question.

Is the 2+ more counter kill triggers just pure random?

I think i've done maybe 3 or 4 in the 16 hrs i've played.

They are triggered when you counter (B) two enemies at once.

1) Yes

2) From the ground, you need to perfectly position yourself between two guards. Kinda hard. Way easier to do it from above, pretty much automatic then.

3) Yes. You can also use A to disarm, B to grab and throw or Y to use your ranged weapon instead of going straight for the kill.

Yeah, but I rarely ever see 2 enemies attack me at once.

Denzar

1) Yes

Thanks for the answers.

1) Now, how do you throw weapons? In previous games you needed to hold down the attack button, but that does not seem to work here.

2) The fuck? That precision was not needed in previous games.

3) Does not always seem to work? At what time exactly do you need to press the required buttons?

Wix

Yeah, but I rarely ever see 2 enemies attack me at once.

Yeah it is kinda rare. Try not engaging when in combat, just wait for enemies to attack you and counter. Also try to position yourself relatively close to multiple enemies in combat, basically set up for it.

Thanks for the answers.

1) Now, how do you throw weapons? In previous games you needed to hold down the attack button, but that does not seem to work here.

2) The fuck? That precision was not needed in previous games.

3) Does not always seem to work? At what time exactly do you need to press the required buttons?

1) Oops, misread. Not sure if you can throw.... I was thinking about simply dropping them, sorry.

3) You have pretty decent time to press them. You can actually press the follow-up button to your counter (X,Y,A) before you are attacked, immediately after you press B. You can also just wait after pressing B, then when the enemy attacks everything is in slow-motion until you press any of the face buttons.

i don't talk much in this thread but that was because i wanted to play before expressing my thoughts

And then i'm done with the main story .
First connor isn't that bad IMO ..it's a downgrade when you factor in Ezio auditore but he did some thing that was pretty cool IMO ...he trully seeked something no other party would give him .. and struggled.. Ezio is my favorite but connor isn't bad .. haytam was a great character too .his confidence and the fact that he kept to his convinctions made him great ... it was obvious that this game showed that no side is right but i also liked the father and son theme ( connor and desmond ).

Now every historical figure , i wish i could slap them ..multiples times they all deserve it no contest.

I actually liked desmond sections this time it was fun to finally have him in urban and populated areas ..this was a much welcome change.
Tree climbing is alright ..it does work but the bugs are there ... there are much more bugs than in AC2 or in AC:B it's a total shame.. i liked the fact that we get snow & sun .
Boston & new york were unintresting cities ... there were no cool things to climb to.
The frontier was a nice addition , however.

But the naval battles are the main fun ... it's so great ..it's so great it hurts when you're done ... We need a spin-off or something .. it was great stuff.

About the ending :

This choice sucks .. either i don't do anything and the circle restart anew or i save everyone but i release a mystical angry god on the planet who seeks to control humanity ?

Where is my third choice ? i choose synthesis ! Wait that's not the right game...
i suck that we ended up like this .i hgonnestly don't like the way the serie took

Desmond story is now over ..i hope they won't abuse this serie too much as i think they are running out of idea very fast ..especially since they exchanged a problem for another ...

Overall he game is a solid 8/10 ..were this game less buggy it would have got a +1
were this game optionnal objective not such garbage it would have got a +1 as well

now AC : liberation turn

Yeah it is kinda rare. Try not engaging when in combat, just wait for enemies to attack you and counter. Also try to position yourself relatively close to multiple enemies in combat, basically set up for it.
what is the limited? I swear i did that to more than 2 guys at once before.

Depends on the context. From above you just launch and it should happen if they're close enough, although I think the targets need to be "paired", as in it's not a single guard with another guard wandering by (not sure on this but I also think all the games were like this).

From ground level you either do the traditional backstab thing (I've never been good at this) or sprint at them. Double-killing is actually easier than in previous games because Connor can double kill guards in a column and in a row, allowing you to come from the side (Connor sort of rolls onto the second person). The idea is that you take them out and keep moving into ground hiding (which is extremely abundant).

Top Bottom