• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Epcott

I'm like halfway through and I'm honestly confused about all the negativity surrounding this game. I think it's the best one so far. It's like they actually listened to my issues with the AC2 trilogy and implemented the fixes I would have suggested.

Traversal simplified down to one button? Check.

Combat was completely revamped, taking heavy inspiration from Batman, and is therefore the first combat system in the series that isn't utter dogshit? Check.

Chill out with the rooftop guards, because there doesn't need to be one on every other damn roof? Check.

Plus I honestly find tree climbing far more fun than building climbing. Just jumping tree to tree through the frontier is a ton of fun.

And it's probably just because I'm American, but I find this setting and time period where I actually have some vague understanding of what's going on far more interesting than any of the previous games.

Just wait until you finish the game and then come back with your impressions. ;)

AHA-Lambda

Well, I've not long started AC3 now and have just finished sequence 4, nothing too bad I'm seeing yet but it definitely feels like I've barely scratched the surface of the game so far, with no exciting missions yet, no meaningful side missions on offer or story content so far.

Judging by being at sequence 5 already though, the main campaign for this game must be really quite short =/

Collider

Banned
They already moved away from that being anything remotely interesting in Revelations, at the same time that they started to move the Assassins towards basically just being liberals:

Yeah, I do remember it now. That was the shittiest explanation they could have gave. I preferred it to be never explained the franchise anywhere.

Collider

Banned
Well, I've not long started AC3 now and have just finished sequence 4, nothing too bad I'm seeing yet but it definitely feels like I've barely scratched the surface of the game so far, with no exciting missions yet, no meaningful side missions on offer or story content so far.

Judging by being at sequence 5 already though, the main campaign for this game must be really quite short =/

Its not short. And game feels that sterile till the end. Nothing like AC1, AC2 or ACB.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They already moved away from that being anything remotely interesting in Revelations, at the same time that they started to move the Assassins towards basically just being liberals:

AC4 starring Joe Biden.

i realised that the game did that and then i just like stopped buying them until i'm sure i won't do main missions... the arrows in particular would have made some mission way too easy
It's retarded. Arrows cost barely anything in the first place.

It's super disappointing that the only useful shit is gotten from crafting. None of the other side stuff seems to give anything of use. Heck the whole brawler side mission gave me nothing!

I think I'll finish this up this weekend ( sequence 10). So far the game feels like a 4 or 5/10.

It does so much, but none of it flows together or is good outside of a few side stuff and the pretty amazing animation.

Collider

Banned
REPOSTING.

And One doubt, I sent a convoy for trading, it got attack which I was taking a shit. (It was never explained that it will get attacked and we could save it.) When I got back, All I saw was 5 seconds remaining. I lost it, and its an X mark in trading menu now. Anyway to get back that convoy or replace it with a new one?

Marleyman

Banned
I'm like halfway through and I'm honestly confused about all the negativity surrounding this game. I think it's the best one so far. It's like they actually listened to my issues with the AC2 trilogy and implemented the fixes I would have suggested.

Combat was completely revamped, taking heavy inspiration from Batman, and is therefore the first combat system in the series that isn't utter dogshit? Check.

Chill out with the rooftop guards, because there doesn't need to be one on every other damn roof? Check.

Plus I honestly find tree climbing far more fun than building climbing. Just jumping tree to tree through the frontier is a ton of fun.

And it's probably just because I'm American, but I find this setting and time period where I actually have some vague understanding of what's going on far more interesting than any of the previous games.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

UrbanRats

I crafted the double holster, but the game keeps taking away my second gun.
Oh lol, is there ONE part of this game that isn't bugged to hell? I'm encountering more glitches here than in Skyrim, ffs (although Skyrim CTD more).

Also got to New York, but to be honest i can barely tell the difference between that and Boston.
It's funny, because every time i find myself in a city, i'm all "i hope whoever thought about this got fired!", but then in the Frontier i'm like "wow, this is awesome!".

Still think the game is a mess though, a very beautiful, potentially very awesome mess of a game... so far.

Hutchinson talking about them having that extra year to really look at the game from afar and tweaking it, now, sounds like Molyneux level of embarassing bullshit.
I hope he was lying, otherwise they really need to fire their ass, if in one extra year of polishing, this is the result.

But none of that stuff gets rid of the terrible mission designed carried over from the 2 trilogy. If anything it failed in that regard compared to Brotherhood. The linear missions are not filled with enough action (and the semi openness also create frustrating gameplay), and variety of the tombs. They don't go all the way with any of the design decisions, and it's obvious just playing the game.

The mainline missions are more frustrating just in the way it is designed. They try to implement stealth quite a bit but with predetermine locations to hide all being grass, and often the grass having areas where your character randomly gets up, so you might as well treat the game as an action game.

I guess the combat is a bit better, but it's not that responsive at all. You are often waiting for an animation to finish, kind of like the delay reaction in GTA4 just to walk.

Traversal is a hit or miss. Still, the best thing in the game so I can't complain a lot there. This would not be AC if it didn't have this, and I don't get some people's complaints about this being automatic platforming. It is what it is.

Side content is the only reason I can say this is the best AC. It's finally compelling to do all the side content. Maybe is because US history is not super exciting, but maybe they should have made AC3 "Patriot the videogame."

Having just experienced a 6 part documentary on the matter to refresh my memory and educate me on what I hadn't already known, I beg to differ. I also may be biased because my inlaws are Rev war reenactors and one of them being the leader of his local Mason lodge.

I just climbed a building in New York and the weather mane was not pointing in the correct directions. I'm selling this game immediately. Screw you Ubisoft.

Gattsu25

Banned
REPOSTING.

And One doubt, I sent a convoy for trading, it got attack which I was taking a shit. (It was never explained that it will get attacked and we could save it.) When I got back, All I saw was 5 seconds remaining. I lost it, and its an X mark in trading menu now. Anyway to get back that convoy or replace it with a new one?
You can craft a new caravan if you have the recipe

SJRB

Gold Member
I just climbed a building in New York and the weather mane was not pointing in the correct directions. I'm selling this game immediately. Screw you Ubisoft.

In all fairness - all the clocks on churchtowers and whatnot actually work now, which was pretty impressive when I noticed that. I hate it when ingame clocks don't work.

Same as in Brotherhood where you could hear churchbells to indicate the times, it's the small details in these games.

FoeHammer

I just started Sequence 6.

I love the series but everything outside of the combat feels like two steps backwards. Rather than refine the previous games, they decided to throw the kitchen sink at the player and none of it works for me.

They even added quick time events and lockpicking for fuck's sake!

Agree with your assessment. There are certainly still some frustrations both old and new but I am really enjoying the setting.

SRTtoZ

Yea, I never replayed/restarted a memory. Ive been playing straight through the campaign and my ammo/arrows always change.

The Bad

-They do not notify you about full sync objectives until you fail them.
(Note: You should not have to pull up a menu just to see Full Sync requirements that removes you from game play, it's a break from immersion and it's POOR GAME DESIGN)
This may be a PC bug because on 360 it (almost) always tells you the secondary objectives when they become relevant, and with a couple specific exceptions (timed stuff) well in advance of it becoming fail-able.

Agree with your assessment. There are certainly still some frustrations both old and new but I am really enjoying the setting.

I think enjoyment of setting is a big part of what makes the AC series popular, and AC3 is a pretty big departure from previous games. I love the setting (although NYC could have been excised without any major loss) so I can put up with the issues of highly varying severity because I want to see more. For example, I think the crafting is really pointless and badly handled (I expect this to go the way of the Tower Defense from ACR) but I'm massively compelled to complete everything in the Homestead and talk to everyone and fill out the Encyclopedia because that stuff is so neat for the setting and detail.

That said I'm hoping the next game ditches Connor and is about his and/or the Liberation character's kid running a pirate fleet against the Trans-Atlantic slave trade.

Akainu

Story wise when is the best time to do the Benedict Arnold missions?
right after stopping the village from being attacked?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That said I'm hoping the next game ditches Connor and is about his and/or the Liberation character's kid running a pirate fleet against the Trans-Atlantic slave trade.

I really like this idea. You'd be murdering big-time slavers (who, of course, would also be Templars), and visiting a variety of American port cities as well as traveling the seas. That could be pretty awesome.

conman

Also, I'm personally disappointed at how slavery is mentioned once and never touched on again (I have just finished the second power source mission). For a game series that has been known to touch on some oft-ignored subjects, this game steers clear away from an important subject in American history.
Indeed. For all of the game's technical and design faults, this is it's ugliest sin.

The series has always had surprisingly smart things to say about the history of oppression. That it fails to address slavery--even obliquely--is the surest sign of the series' fall from grace.

Xander51

Indeed. For all of the game's technical and design faults, this is it's ugliest sin.

The series has always had surprisingly smart things to say about the history of oppression. That it fails to address slavery--even obliquely--is the surest sign of the series' fall from grace.

I agree. Liberation addresses it...kind of...but that's not really an excuse for the main game and they skirt around it a fair bit too.

I hate it that Ubisoft sold us what is essentially an unfinished game.

Overall I enjoyed the game, given its problems, but I have to agree. This game shipped with some pretty offensive bugs. Considering the finely tuned upgrade that AC2 gave us, AC3 feels pretty lackluster. I share the same complaints as everyone else, but I really loved the combat animations, city detail, weather effects, naval missions, the whole hunting mechanic, the assassin training/brohood stuff (when I found it). I found more to like than not, but YMMV.

SRTtoZ

Beat it a few hours ago.

1st) Where can I watch the real ending? That could not possibly be the real ending.

2nd) Why are the credits 20 minutes long and unskippable?

Thanks,

Sincerely

Me.

The game runs from one "greatest hits of the revolution" point to another and struggles to keep the plight of native peoples as more than a side note. Bolting on slavery to the extent required to cover the topic without being viewed as dismissive (everyone on the homestead could be a freed slave and it would still be insufficient) would overwhelm a story with already far too much occurring, particularly when it's so focused on the morally grey areas of power and control rather than a black and white issue like chattel slavery.

I think I'm about done with all this Animus glitching and loading nonsense now. In 2007 it was neat that a story conceit could so cleverly mask all the loading that an open world game of Assassin's Creed's size would need, but thesedays it just makes the game feel bloated. Every time I took a mission in AC3 I'd walk up to the mission giver, have the screen go white for a few seconds, load back into a world where it's now daytime and raining, listen to some dialogue and then sit through another loading screen before being able to play again. If I ever had to chase someone right after a cutscene my controls would usually take a bit of pumping to get the game to recognize that I wanted to be sprinting.

Running around the wilderness in AC3 drew all kinds of parallels with Red Dead Redemption for me, and AC3 came up short in just about every way. In RDR you'd be cantering between towns and come across one of the random events that populated the world, at which point you'd just mosey on over and talk to some people. No loading, no random time and weather changes, just a lovely immersive experience. The Animus glitching can obviously be used to great effect in AC when it needs to be, but it seems like the developers use it as a crutch so they don't have to deal with getting such brimming, overloaded games to feel slick.

I hate it that Ubisoft sold us what is essentially an unfinished game.

Oh absolutely. They shouldn't be able to get away with it, but they will. The game sold 3.5 million in the first week in that unfinished state.

I'm also disappointed that the games press didn't come out and say "hey this game is broken" before release. The reviews mentioned technical issues, but not to the outrageous extent that i and most others in this thread saw in our games - and the reviews were still based on the version before the day one patch, so the game must have been even more broken than it was at launch.

KevinCow

Banned
God damn this game has a ton of side content. I've been ignoring most of it throughout the game, but I just spent like 3 hours doing nothing but side stuff, and I feel like I've barely made a dent.

Finding liberation missions that aren't marked on the map can be pretty annoying, though. I've done all of the ones that I can see on the map, and I've only liberated two zones, and one of those was a story mission.

Also there are apparently a ton of Homestead missions I've missed, because I only have one artisan when I should have like five or six.

The game runs from one "greatest hits of the revolution" point to another and struggles to keep the plight of native peoples as more than a side note. Bolting on slavery to the extent required to cover the topic without being viewed as dismissive (everyone on the homestead could be a freed slave and it would still be insufficient) would overwhelm a story with already far too much occurring, particularly when it's so focused on the morally grey areas of power and control rather than a black and white issue like chattel slavery.

After watching an extensive documentary, part of me is disappointed at the wasted potential, but a bigger part of me now realizes (and confirmed by the developers) that this isn't a story about the revolution, but Connor's own tale of naivete and redemption with the events as the backdrop.

I do hope that once Connor matures and finds himself, we get another game with him doing what he does for a greater cause such as slavery and what not.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm in Sequence 6 (1773).

I raid a fort, take down the flag, and... put up the Betsy Ross flag? First of all, the Betsy Ross flag didn't exist in 1773. Second of all, the Patriots aren't at open war with the Loyalists, so why the hell am I raising a Patriot flag, giving them the fort, and perp-walking the English?

I mean, obviously I'm not an idiot and I know why--they didn't do a separate sequence for liberating forts if you do so before you get to the chunk of the game that takes place in 1776 or onwards... That's just such an obvious omission. There are at least two forts (south-west of the Frontier; middle-right of Boston) that it's pretty easy to stumble into at this point.

I raid a fort, take down the flag, and... put up the Betsy Ross flag? First of all, the Betsy Ross flag didn't exist in 1773. Second of all, the Patriots aren't at open war with the Loyalists, so why the hell am I raising a Patriot flag, giving them the fort, and perp-walking the English?

I mean, obviously I'm not an idiot and I know why--they didn't do a separate sequence for liberating forts if you do so before you get to the chunk of the game that takes place in 1776 or onwards... That's just such an obvious omission. There are at least two forts (south-west of the Frontier; middle-right of Boston) that it's pretty easy to stumble into at this point.
Have you started the frontiersman tasks? One of the level one tasks is to find all the forts and that can't be accomplished until you get to New York, which I think is after the war starts, so I guess the intent was for taking forts to not be a goal for players until after that, even though doing the forts in the frontier gives you a couple really useful fast travel points. Get ready for more bad pacing issues like that.

I'm really not like how Connor's story is playing out. Both the rebels/patriots and the British/loyalists are wrong, or at least portrayed that way. I get that they were going for this gray area thing, but this was the wrong path. Instead of everyone being the bad guy, everyone should have been the good guy. The way it stands now it doesn't make any fucking sense why Connor would help anyone.

Also, I'm at the Battle of Bunker Hill and I still don't feel like I'm an Assassin (capital A for proper pronoun). I'm a dude on a revenge quest pretending at being an Assassin, but none of my goals are aligned with the "traditional" goals seen with Altair or Ezio, and there's no real order. Achilles basically just babysits Connor and lets him do whatever he wants.

Also, Connor being horrified at some British corpses in cutscenes when gameplay objectives (especially side missions like convoys and forts) require him to slaughter dozens of redcoats, is some Niko Bellic level crap.

ARRR this game was so good for the first 10 hours, why is it falling apart?!

xenist

I'm really not like how Connor's story is playing out. Both the rebels/patriots and the British/loyalists are wrong, or at least portrayed that way. I get that they were going for this gray area thing, but this was the wrong path. Instead of everyone being the bad guy, everyone should have been the good guy. The way it stands now it doesn't make any fucking sense why Connor would help anyone.

It's an immature viewpoint built, I hope, for a perceived immature audience. I would like to believe that the people that are making games have grown out of it. I'd rather they cynically try to cater to an audience than actually still subscribe to a "EVERYTHING SUCKS! THE WORLD IS ROTTEN!" 15 year old emo's viewpoint.

conman

The way they avoided this in prior games was to approach "Big History" from the perspective of the "Little Guy." The Third Crusade from the perspective of the oppressed Muslim populations. The rise of the Medici clan from the perspective of a fallen banking family. The rise to power of Suleiman the Magnificent from the perspective of the city's underclass.

I think this is why so many of us preferred playing as Haytham. He seems more "developed" because he has one of these alternate perspectives on Big History. He's a recent immigrant to the colonies, and he seems more invested in the perspective of history's "forgotten ones" than Connor ever is. In contrast, Connor has no real "perspective" to offer. He's not acting on behalf of anyone or anything--not really. They just call him half Native American, but then proceed to white-wash him and give him no real sense of perspective, no real embeddedness in history, and definitely no real personal or ideological stakes in that history. He's just a convenient cipher that allows us to see the Revolutionary War's "greatest hits."

When it comes down to it, I'd much rather play a game based on The Last of the Mohicans than a game based on the historical serendipity of Forrest Gump.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I figured it's meant to be implied that certain things like this are all happening later even if you can do them now. The naval side missions all take place in the same year, which happens to be later than the time you actually can start them, so if you space them out it's like connor is leaping forward and backward in time.

But yeah, it comes off as weirdly done.

FoeHammer

This game has no focus. It's just all over the god damned place.

Recruiting and using assassins should be the cornerstone of these games and they have nerfed it in 3 where it just feels like another shitty sub-system to work with. The assassin menus are particularly horrible but the other menus are horrible as well.

Apparently Jade or Patrice or whomever had a great deal of influence on this series because this game is miles from good without them.

Also, what the fuck is with the vertical skylines in the frontier? Is this supposed to be an Animus effect because it makes me want to vomit. It looks like the horizon is cut up into sections of vertical sky. Anybody else experience this?

Zeppelin

Picked this up for cheap today and I'm so glad I didn't pay full prince. This game is incredibly bland. The setting is just so incredibly boring and I feel Ubisoft is moving completely the wrong direction when moving away from civilization. They should have done what they did with Brotherhood, focused on one city and made it great.

I honestly doubt I'll ever finish this game and I've 100%ed all of them...

man, maybe i should go back and reread the reviews. The game is like averaging mid 80's which means there's gotta be something positive about this. It's even a VGA GOTY nominee for fuck sakes!

man, maybe i should go back and reread the reviews. The game is like averaging mid 80's which means there's gotta be something positive about this. It's even a VGA GOTY nominee for fuck sakes!

80 (or 4/5) seems completely reasonable. The disappointment (or at least mine) stems from it not being a 5/5 game, not that it's actually turrid.

80 (or 4/5) seems completely reasonable. The disappointment (or at least mine) stems from it not being a 5/5 game, not that it's actually turrid.
how so?

Maybe it's cuz I'm not well versed in games press mindset, but if the main missions of a game are all terrible, game shouldn't be higher than 4 or 5/10, no?

And that's just the beginning of the problems I have.

rvy

Banned

Meh, I would argue that the campaign is about a 6 or 7/10 game and it can get as high as a very forgiving 8 for the post-campaign game. A clusterfuck is what this is.

Top Bottom