• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

I'd ask why this is never mentioned even once, but It's AC3. =_= I'd still rather have the radial menu back for whenever I want to change anything.
I'd guess the reason for the hot keys is because they want to show each equipped weapon physically on you instead of having bottomless pockets and disappearing items... because they wouldn't want to break the immersion more than the other tech/sci-fi glitches/designs in the game.

AHA-Lambda

Ok f*ck the homestead! Herding pigs, picking flowers, playing bowls, chasing for gifts. I feel like I'm playing Yakuza 3 again for god sake!

What happened to actual, ya know, assassinations, huh?

SJRB

Gold Member
Ok f*ck the homestead! Herding pigs, picking flowers, playing bowls, chasing for gifts. I feel like I'm playing Yakuza 3 again for god sake!

The "III" in the title stands for how many assassinations this game has.

Hahaha sorry, that was a cheap shot

I am inching my way ever so close to 100%-ing the single player (currently at 98%). For the most part it is just redoing levels with slight modifications but a few of the optional objectives are complete frustration. I spent 50 minutes attempting to complete one mission simply because one optional objective always resulted in guards being altered which caused the other optional objective the fail. Oh, and don't get me started on that board game achievement in your homestead...

UrbanRats

I'd guess the reason for the hot keys is because they want to show each equipped weapon physically on you instead of having bottomless pockets and disappearing items... because they wouldn't want to break the immersion more than the other tech/sci-fi glitches/designs in the game.

I appreciate that, though:

1) None of your extra costumes have the damn quiver on (not even the Kanien'keha:ka one, once you're adult!)

2) One problem i've always had with the series, is how by the end of the game, the character will look like a goddamn wagon from Oregon Trail.

The simple, sleek design of young Ezio, for example, was far more dynamic and agile-looking than the older ones, with 200 capes, armor pieces and skirts on.
Similar thing can be said for Connor, where his adolescent Kanien'keha:ka outfit was more dynamic and agile looking than his assassin's one.
Also why don't they keep their heavy weapons on their back? It would look 10 times nicer when free running around, than having this huge thing hanging from your belt.

Guri

So, are any of the epilogue missions worth it? I usually play because of the story and, if they are more like sidequests, I'm not really in the mood...

Funny enough, I feel like if this game had another year in the oven and didn't come out the same year as hitman, marky ninja, and dishonored, it might be better...

but probably not. It just feels like there is a George Lucas of gaming directing this, someone high up in power that doesn't 'get it'.

KevinCow

Banned
Holy crap. I've been sticking with my tomahawk for most combat since it worked just fine, but I just decided to try out blunt weapons. Jesus christ are they satisfying. You just bash dudes' faces in.

Are there any missable side missions? Im at sequence 4 now.

Don't take my word for it, but I don't think anything is missable. I waited pretty long to start doing sidequests, and that just meant that one particular quest line where a lady wants a baby but can't have one, then finally gets pregnant, then is extremely pregnant, then finally has her baby, all happened in about the span of a day.

PBalfredo

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does this game work for someone just now jumping into the series? Or is playing the previous games necessary (if so, which ones are a must?)

Haunted

They really went overboard with the useless shit in Revelations (tower defence LOL), and now this one as well.

I think at this point I actually prefer the first one to most of the others because its underlying structure of assassinations that you have to work towards to and prepare the environment for feels superior (drab mission variety and all) to the newer ones.

Maybe, but when you notice Connor's Bow's string goes right through his body, its hard to take their design of how they placed the weapons on him seriously.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
how so?

Maybe it's cuz I'm not well versed in games press mindset, but if the main missions of a game are all terrible, game shouldn't be higher than 4 or 5/10, no?

And that's just the beginning of the problems I have.

You are right that the mission design is pretty bad across the board, but the mechanics behind climbing around everywhere and using assassin abilities still is fun, the open world that they made and the era they set it in is really cool, the boat and peg leg pete missions are tons of fun, and I found the Haythem/Conner dynamic to make for a very interesting story even if it ended poorly.

There's enough there to make it at least a 3/5 game to me. To get below a 75 on metacritic you are talking about games like Resident Evil 6, Disney Epic Mickey 2, and Medal of Honor: Warfighter. You think this game should have been on the level of those? I don't really think so.

I am inching my way ever so close to 100%-ing the single player (currently at 98%). For the most part it is just redoing levels with slight modifications but a few of the optional objectives are complete frustration. I spent 50 minutes attempting to complete one mission simply because one optional objective always resulted in guards being altered which caused the other optional objective the fail. Oh, and don't get me started on that board game achievement in your homestead...

I'm starting to think it's impossible to beat. I always have a glimmer of hope and then I get my ass handed to me when he takes like, 20 of my pieces in one combo. Whereas if I do a combo, it opens him up to destroy me.

You are right that the mission design is pretty bad across the board, but the mechanics behind climbing around everywhere and using assassin abilities still is fun, the open world that they made and the era they set it in is really cool, the boat and peg leg pete missions are tons of fun, and I found the Haythem/Conner dynamic to make for a very interesting story even if it ended poorly.

There's enough there to make it at least a 3/5 game to me. To get below a 75 on metacritic you are talking about games like Resident Evil 6, Disney Epic Mickey 2, and Medal of Honor: Warfighter. You think this game should have been on the level of those? I don't really think so.
What was wrong with warfighter?

I'm starting to think it's impossible to beat. I always have a glimmer of hope and then I get my ass handed to me when he takes like, 20 of my pieces in one combo. Whereas if I do a combo, it opens him up to destroy me.
Here is a professional tip: Cheat. Seriously, there are java apps for those two games on the internet. Instructions on how to set those java apps up properly can be found in a forum thread. Essentially you "cheat" like this, you let the ACIII bot go first and you input those moves into the Java app. The app will counter it with an even better move and that is what you play on ACIII. Those java apps were the only way I could beat those two board games.

NZNova

So I jump off the top of a church into a wagon full of hay, hop out, all cool. Incognito, nobody suspects a thing. Tap the right trigger to start jogging, 2 guards walking past immediately aggro onto me for no reason. Fucks sake! Knife them, a patrol of 8 walking past aggros onto me! Oh, for goodness sake. Out comes the french naval axe again, chop chop chop chop, oh heres another patrol! And another patrol! So, here's like 30 dead guys, I'm notoriety level 2 again. Time to move onto the next viewpoint I guess...

Oh, and for some reason when I started hte game last night, all of my weapons apart from the hidden blade and the dagger where gone. Where's my sword and trusty naval axe gone?

This fucking game, man, this fucking game... AC was one of my absolute favourite series and man, this game is doing such a great job of putting me off.

KevinCow

Banned
So I jump off the top of a church into a wagon full of hay, hop out, all cool. Incognito, nobody suspects a thing. Tap the right trigger to start jogging, 2 guards walking past immediately aggro onto me for no reason. Fucks sake! Knife them, a patrol of 8 walking past aggros onto me! Oh, for goodness sake. Out comes the french naval axe again, chop chop chop chop, oh heres another patrol! And another patrol! So, here's like 30 dead guys, I'm notoriety level 2 again. Time to move onto the next viewpoint I guess...

This has happened to me a bunch. Guards to straight to aggro even though I'm incognito. I'm not sure what's up with it, if it's a glitch or what, but it is pretty annoying. Seems to mostly happen when I run by guards who are standing guard outside a building or something.

NZNova

This has happened to me a bunch. Guards to straight to aggro even though I'm incognito. I'm not sure what's up with it, if it's a glitch or what, but it is pretty annoying. Seems to mostly happen when I run by guards who are standing guard outside a building or something.

Yeah normally it's guards actually guarding something, which I can kind of understand, I guess, although attacking someone who's just running past them strikes me as somewhat overzealous prosecution of their duty. These guys were just walking down the street, though. What a bunch of assholes.

So one area AC3 definitely has over Ezio Trilogy is the return of death speeches. Sorely lacking even if requieats en pace (or whatever) was really awesome.

Here is a professional tip: Cheat. Seriously, there are java apps for those two games on the internet. Instructions on how to set those java apps up properly can be found in a forum thread. Essentially you "cheat" like this, you let the ACIII bot go first and you input those moves into the Java app. The app will counter it with an even better move and that is what you play on ACIII. Those java apps were the only way I could beat those two board games.

Man, that totally worked. I kicked Achilles ass, now to play Morris (already beat Bowls). Thanks!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What was wrong with warfighter?

Mostly the problem of not having a single thing you could put on the pro side for why to play this game.

At least there are reasons to recommend Assassins Creed 3, even though you have to do it with caveats.

Mostly the problem of not having a single thing you could put on the pro side for why to play this game.

At least there are reasons to recommend Assassins Creed 3, even though you have to do it with caveats.
Ah. All I know about that game is creepy kid and alright driving sections.

Ac3 might just be one of those games that are the worst lol. It has tons of frustrating and dumb parts, but it has 'something' that keeps me playing.

Which is worse than games I just drop lol.

Well guys, I did it. After 55 hours, 17 minutes, and 21 seconds I am finally at 100% completion with the single player portion of the game. It might not be as quick as some other people on here but I don't care. The memories of all those times filled with frustration are now in the past. I guess I can finally try out multiplayer now.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well guys, I did it. After 55 hours, 17 minutes, and 21 seconds I am finally at 100% completion with the single player portion of the game. It might not be as quick as some other people on here but I don't care. The memories of all those times filled with frustration are now in the past. I guess I can finally try out multiplayer now.

I salute you and your accomplishment, good sir. Very well done.

seat

They're optional side quests. You don't have to do them.

I honestly enjoyed the homestead missions immensely, perhaps even more so than the main storyline. Building a melting pot community where you help everyone achieve their goals and get along was very satisfying, and at the end of it, I felt really warm and fuzzy inside. I would love a whole game (or at least DLC) that was centered around something just like the homestead missions, but still played like Assassin's Creed.

Midou

I honestly enjoyed the homestead missions immensely, perhaps even more so than the main storyline. Building a melting pot community where you help everyone achieve their goals and get along was very satisfying, and at the end of it, I felt really warm and fuzzy inside. I would love a whole game (or at least DLC) that was centered around something just like the homestead missions, but still played like Assassin's Creed.

Same. Even Connor mentions while herding pigs 'the things I do for these people' or something like that.

I love city building in games. Knowing I got each person there and that their home exists because of me, made it neat for me. I could see people not caring, but after the boat stuff, homestead was my favorite side quests.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

I personally felt like you were building a cult. They were a little too happy and satisfied. It was odd.

Lesath

Same. Even Connor mentions while herding pigs 'the things I do for these people' or something like that.

I love city building in games. Knowing I got each person there and that their home exists because of me, made it neat for me. I could see people not caring, but after the boat stuff, homestead was my favorite side quests.

Scumbag Connor: invites immigrants into his homestead, lets his displaced people live in squalor.

My perfect DLC for this game would be a series of Naval/Pegleg missions. You sail to some area where a ship is located, you have to battle the ship along with some smaller crafts, board/take over the ship, and then locate a map on the ship. This map would lead you to a Pegleg-esque location where you have to explore/sneak into a fort/house/ruins to find part of a map. Repeat this (with some differences) to complete the full map and find the location of a treasure.

Essentially combining Naval Missions with discovering Oak Island. Would download an expansion like that in a heartbeat.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Either in spoiler text or pm can someone explain the story implications of (end game thing)
the animus synching with pivots? Do I get anything by doing these except for cheats? Any more story stuff?

Honestly at this point I'd be happier if AC ditched 100% of the modern day/old gods nonsense and just focused on cool cities in cool eras nothing else.

Reposting since I haven't found an answer.

My perfect DLC for this game would be a series of Naval/Pegleg missions. You sail to some area where a ship is located, you have to battle the ship along with some smaller crafts, board/take over the ship, and then locate a map on the ship. This map would lead you to a Pegleg-esque location where you have to explore/sneak into a fort/house/ruins to find part of a map. Repeat this (with some differences) to complete the full map and find the location of a treasure.

Essentially combining Naval Missions with discovering Oak Island. Would download an expansion like that in a heartbeat.

This game really needs DLC in the form of the Assassin Tombs from Ezio Trilogy. I'm not really sure how to implement them thematically since the New World is so... well, new (First Civ? Free Masons? Native burial grounds? Natural formations?)

This game really needs DLC in the form of the Assassin Tombs from Ezio Trilogy. I'm not really sure how to implement them thematically since the New World is so... well, new (First Civ? Free Masons? Native burial grounds? Natural formations?)

Pretty much. The Assassin Tombs were some of the highlights of the Ezio games but they are hard to replicate with the time period and region. The Pegleg missions are the closest they can get so I hope we get more.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Wait, I'm really dissapointed. I never saw Achielle's
death scene/funeral
. I thought I did every Homestead mission, but the last 2 sequences, none were popping up. I literally did every one I saw though. The last I was getting that woman her silk. next thing you know, I beat sequence 12 and nada. Did I miss it? That really irks me, didn't know that was possible if you were doing them. Too late to go back?

Wrayfield

Wait, I'm really dissapointed. I never saw Achielle's
death scene/funeral
. I thought I did every Homestead mission, but the last 2 sequences, none were popping up. I literally did every one I saw though. The last I was getting that woman her silk. next thing you know, I beat sequence 12 and nada. Did I miss it? That really irks me, didn't know that was possible if you were doing them. Too late to go back?

I did it after finishing the storyline (PS3) so maybe look around for the Homestead mission icon, might've missed it.

UrbanRats

Only one word for you: Why?

Top Bottom