• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

From facebook page:

So The Hidden Secrets Pack has just been announced for Assassin's Creed 3. Here's the lowdown:

The Hidden Secrets Pack for Assassin’s Creed III adds three extra missions – the Lost Mayan Ruins, the Ghost of War, and a Dangerous Secret – for an additional hour of gameplay, taking gamers from lost Mayan ruins to the high seas. Every successful mission is rewarded with in-game weapons. Gamers will a...lso receive:

• Two single-player costumes including the fabled Captain of the Aquila uniform and the traditional Colonial Assassin outfit
• Two multiplayer characters including the fearsome Redcoat and the deadly Sharpshooter

The pack is currently available for Season Pass holders on 360, PS3 and PC. It will be available for everyone else on December 11 via the Xbox LIVE, PlayStation Network and for Windows PC.

Man, I'm having motivation problems with this game. I just don't want to play it any more.

It's like they give you an objective, then when you're on your way to do it, they plop down some random unavoidable marker in the street for you to do something, that you don't want to do cause you were on your way to do the original thing.

Edit: Oh, and screw the random QTEs with animals not registering button pushes. I know for a fact I slammed that button before it failed me.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I find the game fun and I will try to 100% this at some point in time. I'm just going through the game now without any pressure.

Ninjaholic

Neo Member
Apparently I have anti-GAF opinion. As a huge fan of the AC series I started off the least interested in AC3 due to the colonial setting. So it made the wait for the PC version easy and even then I impulse bought it day one on steam thinking I would regret my purchase and should have waited for a sale.

Well I've finished it and LOVED as much as all the previous ones including the first(another GAF hated on). I love Connors design and his outfit maybe my new fave of the series even though I think the hood is still a bit to big.

But what makes me keep going back is the brutal combat and amazing atmosphere. And it looks incredible on PC.

Also I just bought the season pass last night since I want more Connor and AC3 combat goodness and happy to read that I will get some more missions to dive back into tonight.

KevinCow

Banned
It really didn't though, even in the first game. That's just how most people chose to play. But the combat in AC1 was incredibly deep and varied, and allowed for enormous experimentation. But as with almost everything else in the game, most players were too impatient or indifferent to bother with the huge amount of experimentation that was possible. AC2's combat was dumbed down a bit, but then ACB and ACR built back up the huge experimentation toolkit. If combat really seemed that simple to you, it means you weren't taking advantage of everything that was available or possible.

In AC3, almost none of that huge library of techniques, weapons, and tools is available. It boils down to just a few techniques, but tries to make it seem varied by rolling in a bunch of varied animations instead.

In AC1, you were actively punished for taking the offensive approach because enemies could counter you. So the only truly safe approach to combat was to wait and counter.

In AC2 and AssBro, they introduced the grab mechanic. I think I beat literally 90% of the enemies in those games by doing grab -> attack, which instantly killed them. Then the handful of enemies that didn't work on, I went with the good old wait and counter approach - or if the regular counter didn't work, I went with the arbitrarily added sidestep, which was literally just a counter that worked on certain enemies you couldn't counter.

Can't say much about Revelations, which I didn't get too far in because it was awful.

In AC3, by contrast, you actually have to time your counters or be punished, and you don't have a grab instakill that works on almost every enemy in the game. Plus enemies can't counter your attacks (unless you do the wrong attack to the wrong enemy, that is), so you can actually be offensive. Except for the knife guys and the captains, you don't have to wait for counters on anyone. And even if you need to do a counter to take someone out, the enemies are pretty offensive and will attack you pretty quickly. Also, kill streaks are much more effective since you can counter cancel out of them.

I just don't see how anyone can say that AC3 combat isn't an undeniable improvement for the series.

Apparently I have anti-GAF opinion. As a huge fan of the AC series I started off the least interested in AC3 due to the colonial setting. So it made the wait for the PC version easy and even then I impulse bought it day one on steam thinking I would regret my purchase and should have waited for a sale.

Well I've finished it and LOVED as much as all the previous ones including the first(another GAF hated on). I love Connors design and his outfit maybe my new fave of the series even though I think the hood is still a bit to big.

But what makes me keep going back is the brutal combat and amazing atmosphere. And it looks incredible on PC.

Also I just bought the season pass last night since I want more Connor and AC3 combat goodness and happy to read that I will get some more missions to dive back into tonight.

Connor's outfit is easily the best.

I really enjoyed this game as well.

My ranking:

AC2
AC3
AC2: Brotherhood
AC2: Revelations
AC1

I just couldn't get into the repetitiveness of the first game.

Ninjaholic

Neo Member

My ranking:

AC2
AC3
AC1

I would have the same ranking although I would be ok with flipping Revelations and AC1. Damn that needless tower defense game. ha!

Nori Chan

My ranking:

AC3
ACB
AC2
AC1
ACR

I really loved 3 and I never really experience any of these glitches that you guys were talking about. The only thing I encountered was my horse humping the side of the wall of a house. Which was actually pretty fun in retrospect. This might be the first game where I actually want to get every single weapon, outfit, and everything done. Can't wait for DLC.

Scapegoat

It really didn't though, even in the first game. That's just how most people chose to play. But the combat in AC1 was incredibly deep and varied, and allowed for enormous experimentation. But as with almost everything else in the game, most players were too impatient or indifferent to bother with the huge amount of experimentation that was possible. AC2's combat was dumbed down a bit, but then ACB and ACR built back up the huge experimentation toolkit. If combat really seemed that simple to you, it means you weren't taking advantage of everything that was available or possible.

In AC3, almost none of that huge library of techniques, weapons, and tools is available. It boils down to just a few techniques, but tries to make it seem varied by rolling in a bunch of varied animations instead.
AC1 combat was deep and varied? The one with like 5 weapons?

To be clear, I am talking about the group-swarm combat, not assassination type combat where your killing stealthy or on the run. Combat where your swarmed by a bunch of dudes and have to beat them all (or run away but that isn't as fun or as quick). As much as I loved AC1 the group combat always devolved into hold RT, wait for counter. There was some nuance with swords/knives and timing earlier in the game, but pretty soon most guard swarms have plenty of dudes who can block your swipes, and so you need to just wait for that counter.

The countering system in AC1-ACR is just as animation heavy as AC3, some may even say more so given that counters in AC3 have an extra button press driving which move to perform (kill, disarm, throw). AC3, as I said, isn't that much more complex, however is it still an improvement on this base mechanic. I'd be keen to see it expanded to add a bit more nuance.

AC3 seemed to have most of the tools I remembered loving from AC2/ACB (I personally didn't care for any of the bomb making stuff from ACR, but I do miss the hookblade - made the climbing animations better IMO). Throwing giant axes, silent arrow killing machine, double hidden blade, smoke bombs, calling in a squad of assassin's to do the wet work, gun, poison.

If you specifically were talking about social stealth/combat revolving around traversal and getting into guarded areas I would say all the old options are still possible here... it's just a lot more fun to have a massacre.

Using the A button in different situations in addition to the trigger meant that you could choose to climb, drop, jump at specific times and contexts. But in AC3, just using the one button means that all of that simply "happens" and you lose the ability to choose exactly how you traverse the environment. Though oddly, they still make you push an extra button to leap/slide over things--which, ironically, is something that should have been just rolled into the trigger press. So by losing "sharpness," I mean that you lose one of the means of greater control and precision in your movement. As with combat, they've sacrificed player control and replaced it with automated animation.

But these are just minor nitpicks. However, they are emblematic of an overall design philosophy that favors automation (through an admittedly excellent animation system) over player control. That emphasis on automation over player control applies to how they designed missions, the frustrating stealth fail states, combat, traversal, etc. It's a series that has always been predicated on player freedom in gameplay (experimentation and exploration) and political freedom in its storylines, but there's very little of that left in AC3.
You can still climb, drop and jump at will... I've been a huge fan of the climbing system in AC games since day 1, and I felt right at home with AC3 and didn't feel like I lost any control at all. Move the control stick and RT to climb, press B to drop. Press A at any time to jump off/to the side/forward as in the previous games... If you hold B while freerunning toward an edge you'll safely jump down.

I do agree that a lot of the mission design is relatively weak compared to previous games but there is still a lot of great missions to be had in AC3. I'd say for me the highs in AC3 are just as good as in AC2/ACB, but the lows do dip low at point.

Midou

My ranking:

AC2
AC3
AC1

Yep, this. Brotherhood and Revelations built upon the great AC2, but in terms of purely original content and main story, they were not quite as full of titles. Single town and mostly add-ons to previous games. Revelations has the worst side-quest with tower defence, but luckily I only had to do it once after the tutorial..

Soul_Pie

Since we're doing rankings here:

Ass Creed 2
Ass Creed Brohood
Ass Creed 3
Ass Creed 1
Ass Creed Rev

Ass Creed 1 is clearly not my favourite but I always give props for its originality, those bird tower climbs for the first time were vertigo inducing and amazing, the cities were brilliantly realised. The game was ambitious and the series needed a starting point. I think I spent hours on end running across roofs. I also quite liked the story, especially as we never got any of those horrible first civilization crap, plus I like Altair probably more than any protagonist. (Maybe Haytham comes close and probably doesn't count) The stealth element was probably best in this game as well, or at least it puts far more emphasis on it. The main mission structure, however, was entirely repetitive and tiresome, and the side missions not any better. Great ambition, not always great execution, but it really set up the series to be great with a fantastic formula and concept, and Ass Creed 2 delivered the perfect sequel to a game with a lot of potential.

As much as I loved 3 I'm hoping Ubi give it a while and wait for next gen to come around before releasing the game. I know it's a cash cow but I do feel at this stage that the consoles are really struggling to keep up with the ambition of what ubisoft are trying to achieve.

conman

Can you give some examples of the more complex combat in the older games. I pretty much just countered my way through them.
Most folks didn't experiment, but each of the weapons had different techniques. There was countering, of course. But there was also evasion, offensive timed attacks, guard breaks, jumping attacks, and each of these varied depending on the weapon. In AC2, they pared it back a bit and focused on just counters and breaks, then slowly introduced a whole bunch of new techniques (in the training ring). And with ACB and ACR, they built on the simpler more straightforward combat of AC2 (adding sideways evasions, bombs, different enemy types, more weapon types, etc.). There were always ways to "cheese" the combat, but that wasn't the point. The point was to experiment and have fun, not to be expedient.

AC3 brings the combat back down yet again to how it is in the beginning of AC2, but unlike AC2, they don't then slowly introduce a bunch of new techniques. The hook rope is pretty much it. Otherwise, you're just countering and combo-ing. Most of your time is just spent initiating animations. And as I said, some of those animations are awesome. But they come at the expense of direct control. And I never felt like there was any room or reason to experiment and actually have fun. The only thing I worried about in combat in AC3 was maintaining my combo streak.

Wix

Aren't those just a collection of pre-order bonusses from the different retailers?

Yupe.

My ranking:

AC2
AC3
AC1

My ranking:

AC3 = AC2
AC1

The amazing setting of AC2 puts it on par with AC3, otherwise AC3 is largely superior IMO.

I may have already said this, but my ranking:

AC II = AC Brotherhood >> AC >>>> AC III > AC Revelations

Yes, I actually liked AC1 more than AC3, if for nothing else than the steps it took with being a new IP and the scope of it all. For all of the flaws such as the repetitive nature of the mission structure, I still feel it was the better game because it at least maintained it's focus throughout.

Many Ubisoft studios have long since worked on these games, but the series has finally started to feel as if it's shuddering under the pressure to be something fresh. If Revelations was the beginning, AC III is the utter culmination. By comparison, after playing some of Far Cry 3, I certainly feel like I've gotten the short end of the Ubisoft stick.

Whatever they do next, it HAS to be better than this...

Most folks didn't experiment, but each of the weapons had different techniques. There was countering, of course. But there was also evasion, offensive timed attacks, guard breaks, jumping attacks, and each of these varied depending on the weapon. In AC2, they pared it back a bit and focused on just counters and breaks, then slowly introduced a whole bunch of new techniques (in the training ring). And with ACB and ACR, they built on the simpler more straightforward combat of AC2 (adding sideways evasions, bombs, different enemy types, more weapon types, etc.). There were always ways to "cheese" the combat, but that wasn't the point. The point was to experiment and have fun, not to be expedient.

AC3 brings the combat back down yet again to how it is in the beginning of AC2, but unlike AC2, they don't then slowly introduce a bunch of new techniques. The hook rope is pretty much it. Otherwise, you're just countering and combo-ing. Most of your time is just spent initiating animations. And as I said, some of those animations are awesome. But they come at the expense of direct control. And I never felt like there was any room or reason to experiment and actually have fun. The only thing I worried about in combat in AC3 was maintaining my combo streak.

This.

And while the animations were AMAZING, all too often I found myself wishing Connor would STOP stabbing/cutting the guy and finish it. It felt flashy for the sake of being flashy, not necessarily devastating.

KevinCow

Banned
Still working my way through AC3, but unless something really horrible and stupid happens between now and the end, then my ranking would be:

AC3
AssBro
AC2

AC1
AssRev

There were always ways to "cheese" the combat, but that wasn't the point. The point was to experiment and have fun, not to be expedient.

I guess we just have different philosophies on combat, then. I think the most expedient way to take out your opponents should also be the most fun way to do so. I shouldn't have to ignore the quickest and easiest ways to do something to get fun out of the game. Though it also doesn't help when I resort to the quick and easy cheesing approach because I do not find that aspect of the game fun.

In AC3, there is no way to cheese it. The most expedient way is also the most fun way.

Kinyou

Can it be that they added this "skip cutscene" icon with the patch? Can't remember seeing it before and now it's in the lower right corner during every cutscene. Kind of annoying. It's almost as if they were begging you to skip it.

Eideka

Banned
The more I hear Connor's voice the more I hope that he won't be part of the next AC game. Unfortunately they can't kill a character introduced in a major opus so easily.

Aveline de Grandpré on the other hand deserves more than to be confined to an handled game.

AHA-Lambda

Just finished it, that ending. I am actively pissed off right now and I was warned in advance that it was bad.

Now I know the betrayal Mass Effect fans felt over ME3's ending. Where is the shitstorm over this?! IMO it is much worse than ME3's ending.

I was willing to kind of let this game slide as a bland mediocre entry in an otherwise great series but now, I frankly think I am done with this franchise.

rataven

Can it be that they added this "skip cutscene" icon with the patch? Can't remember seeing it before and now it's in the lower right corner during every cutscene. Kind of annoying. It's almost as if they were begging you to skip it.

It's hilarious how intrusive the prompt is in every cutscene. Really seems to indicate they don't have much confidence in the story they're telling, and that it's best left skipped. Absolutely no one asked for the prompt to be patched in, except the developers themselves apparently.

iNvid02

It's hilarious how intrusive the prompt is in every cutscene. Really seems to indicate they don't have much confidence in the story they're telling, and that it's best left skipped. Absolutely no one asked for the prompt to be patched in, except the developers themselves apparently.

its been in since launch

Klocker

the prompt was in at launch but was hidden unless you hit B and now it is always present (since patch)

must have taken to heart the reviews which criticized the unskippable scenes and besides who really replays the missions and watches all the scenes? 1-% maybe? sure as hell don;t need to see them more often unless poignant.

KevinCow

Banned
Bahaha. In one of the Pegleg missions, there's a part where Connor jumps to a rope and slides down it with his tomahawk.

...Only I have a knife equipped instead of a tomahawk, so it didn't wrap around the rope. He just stuck his knife next to the rope and slid down that way.

rataven

The prompt only showed pre-patch if you moved the controller or hit a button. Post patch, it's always there, as per the notes. I think the people complaining, myself included, want the prompt to go back to how it was originally so it isn't so intrusive. The prompt doesn't need to be displayed for the entirety of each and every cutscene. It's distracting and a terribly dumb thing for them to have wasted time on 'fixing'.

Was doing a naval mission last night. It was storming really badly when suddenly the seas parted down the hull of the Aquila. She dipped sharply forward and then launched forward into the air, spinning vertically like a shuriken. I sliced through an enemy Templar ship, revealing it's weak point for massive damage.

Soul_Pie

Was doing a naval mission last night. It was storming really badly when suddenly the seas parted down the hull of the Aquila. She dipped sharply forward and then launched forward into the air, spinning vertically like a shuriken. I sliced through an enemy Templar ship, revealing it's weak point for massive damage.

The Naval missions were so far and away the best part of the game.

Amazing.

Setting:
AC3
AC2, ACB
AC1
ACR

Era/story/theme:
AC3
AC2, AC1
ACB
ACR

Visuals:
AC3
AC1
AC2
ACB
ACR

Landmarks/set pieces:
AC2
AC3, ACB
ACR
AC1

Outfit:
AC3
AC2
AC1
ACB
ACR

The Naval missions were so far and away the best part of the game.

Amazing.

You're absolutely right.

And yet there seemed to be NO real connection to anything else you were trying to accomplish in the game! Can someone please tell me why Connor needed to captain this ship??

Just as Revelations almost certainly did not start as a full console release, I'm almost convinced that this did not at all start out as an Assassin's Creed game.

Dysun

I just don't see how anyone can say that AC3 combat isn't an undeniable improvement for the series.

100% agree with you, this is the first time I actually found the combat fun. Previously it was pretty tedious to just wait for them to attack and then counter/kill streak.

Since we're doing rankings

ACB > AC2 > AC3 > ACR > AC1

Just as Revelations almost certainly did not start as a full console release, I'm almost convinced that this did not at all start out as an Assassin's Creed game.

You are actually right, it started out as a Naval combat game (or some other type of ship combat) but Ubisoft wouldn't greenlight the project, so they put it in AC3. Or something along those lines.
100% agree with you, this is the first time I actually found the combat fun. Previously it was pretty tedious to just wait for them to attack and then counter/kill streak.

Since we're doing rankings

ACB > AC2 > AC3 > ACR > AC1

It's mainly just conman that says otherwise, he has a personal vendetta against all things AC3. :p

Altair looked like a guy dressed to blend. Every game forward the guy seems less so.

Connor looks like he's gonna star in a revolutionary age Commando remake.

Especially if you lug around a 2h ax lol

Midou

You are actually right, it started out as a Naval combat game (or some other type of ship combat) but Ubisoft wouldn't greenlight the project, so they put it in AC3. Or something along those lines.

Ah shit. I want that now. I would day one a full game based around that so hard.

_Isaac

Guys.
Make barrels, and buy 10 rye and 10 barley. Then craft spirits. Best way to make money.
How much?
I loaded up the game again because I wanted to check this out.
I sold spirits to the highest bidder (in this case it was Saint Augustine). They sold for about 1008 each. I sent out a naval convoy of ten spirits for a total of 10080. This doesn't take into account the barley, rye, and oak lumber I had to buy. Then I had to pay for crafting ten barrels. Then I had to pay for crafting ten spirits.

At the same time I sold bear pelts to the highest bidder (also Saint Augustine) for about 1560 each. In total, I sent ten bear pelts for a 15600. To buy the bear pelts from my stockpile I had to pay 2400 for all ten. This is roughly similar or maybe a bit more than what I had to pay to prepare the spirits. I think I still prefer bear pelts because it's a faster and easier process. Less crafting and even when you're loading the convoy the hunting section is near the top. Higher than the alcohol section.

pargonta

Kotaku featured a member Q/A with a couple of the devs earlier today

I made a gawker account just to try and corner them into admitting some design failures. I didn't care for III much at all.

I went with the viewpoint design failure. it was a yes or no question but he squirmed out of it.

"Question: Viewpoints do not reveal the entire map as they did before. Do you recognize that as a poor design decision, or do you believe that to be a good design decision? For me as a player used to the traditional AC, it led to frustration.

Alex Hutchinson "Answer: @mothflight
We wanted people to actually explore the maps by moving around. Viewpoints still do the vast majority, but the game is also about running around and actual looking for things, not just chasing icons!"
http://kotaku.com/5965634/ask-the-creators-of-assassins-creed-iii-questions-theyre-here-to-answer-them-right-now

ofcourse, i knew why they did it, that wasn't my question. but oh wells, i tried.

iNvid02

Kotaku featured a member Q/A with a couple of the devs earlier today

I made a gawker account just to try and corner them into admitting some design failures. I didn't care for III much at all.

I went with the viewpoint design failure. it was a yes or no question but he squirmed out of it.

"Question: Viewpoints do not reveal the entire map as they did before. Do you recognize that as a poor design decision, or do you believe that to be a good design decision? For me as a player used to the traditional AC, it led to frustration.

Alex Hutchinson "Answer: @mothflight
We wanted people to actually explore the maps by moving around. Viewpoints still do the vast majority, but the game is also about running around and actual looking for things, not just chasing icons!"
http://kotaku.com/5965634/ask-the-creators-of-assassins-creed-iii-questions-theyre-here-to-answer-them-right-now

ofcourse, i knew why they did it, that wasn't my question. but oh wells, i tried.

t4jlz.png

Midou

Is it wrong that I love to hunt for icons? In both AC with viewpoints and Farcry 3 with towers and outposts, I get addicted to getting to all of them and completing/clearing them. I don't usually feel much satisfaction when I'm done, but I love the process. Put them back the way they were.

We don't want to wake up one day and find that the industry has moved on and we're still making Super Nintendo games when everyone else has bought a PlayStation.

And now the disappointment i had with this game all makes sense!

Why is the series getting more linear and restrictive with every release? AC1 was based around giving the player a target, and a bunch of tools to assassinate with. He would gather info through various means (of his choice), approach the target in a variety of possible ways, assassinate the target how he saw fit, and then escape through free running.

Brotherhood introduced the Full Sync mechanic which started the restrictions - where it would tell the player to use a specific weapon, or a specific method, or a specific approach, and flash a red failure message on the screen if they didn't comply. There was no real punishment for ignoring it, but it still felt like it was counter-productive to the series' original core concept of player choice. The implementation seemed to detract from what made the series so great - choice.

AC3 took this to the extreme, with many missions leading to desynchronisation and restarts if the player failed to comply with these specific restrictions. The opening several hours are by far the worst offenders, but most of Connor's main missions have the same problems. There is only one way to go about doing something most of the time. So whilst the frontier is a fantastic example of opening up to player choice and freedom, the main missions are incredibly restrictive.

Why?

In the main missions we're generally trying to tell a story, while in the side content and the open world, we're trying to open it up and let you guys do whatever you want in the order you want: We tried to make the assassinations more open, and several like Johnson can be done in multiple ways, but yeah i wish we'd been able to open some of the others up more. But I disagree that there was ever really much choice in the franchise: AC is about reliving history, not changing history. The animus is a DVD player not an editing device, so we are often very restrictive when it comes to historical events and people as there really was only one way it happened.

Speaking of combat, the devs mentioned you can keep kill chain going even with commanders and grenadiers. How ya do that?

Top Bottom