• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

SJRB

Gold Member
Reposting since I haven't found an answer.

There are no story implications to the pivots, they basically serve as convoluted cheatcodes. For some reason saving is deactivated, so everytime you want to quit you have to disable the pivot that is in effect, find a way to make the game [quick]save and then you can quit.

There is some underlying narrative given the way they are introduced, but that segment goes by so fast and is so extemely vague there is literally nothing that can be derived from it.

KevinCow

Banned
Well this is kinda annoying. I have every chest in the game except for one in central Boston. But even though I've bought all the chest maps, that final one isn't appearing anywhere on the map.

Also the twin holsters are completely glitched out. I choose my gun, everything's good, Connor equips two of them. But if I go through any transition, the right gun changes to something else. Every time.

Still loving the game, though. I should probably touch the sailing at some point.

Wrayfield

Well this is kinda annoying. I have every chest in the game except for one in central Boston. But even though I've bought all the chest maps, that final one isn't appearing anywhere on the map.

Also the twin holsters are completely glitched out. I choose my gun, everything's good, Connor equips two of them. But if I go through any transition, the right gun changes to something else. Every time.

Still loving the game, though. I should probably touch the sailing at some point.

Look for a small red area (where the guards normally chase you right away, only they are gone now), you will find it there. I accidentally stumbled upon it when running aimlessly like the crazy native that I am...

I think people are completly wrong about this game. I love all the AC games, and I think 3 is the best because there is more side quests which I love.

Lesath

Only one word for you: Why?

Why not? 100% synchronization is the best thing they've done to address the easiness of the AC series since AC2, and they've actually toned down the collectible hunting. All you have left are homestead quests (which are somewhat interesting), liberation missions (nothing new, really), assassination contracts (again, nothing new), naval battles (which are kinda fun), and the boring delivery and crafting quests.

There are no story implications to the pivots, they basically serve as convoluted cheatcodes. For some reason saving is deactivated, so everytime you want to quit you have to disable the pivot that is in effect, find a way to make the game [quick]save and then you can quit.

There is some underlying narrative given the way they are introduced, but that segment goes by so fast and is so extemely vague there is literally nothing that can be derived from it.

Well, the achievement icon for collecting the pivots
has the Abstergo logo on it, so take from that what you will.

Why not? 100% synchronization is the best thing they've done to address the easiness of the AC series since AC2, and they've actually toned down the collectible hunting. All you have left are homestead quests (which are somewhat interesting), liberation missions (nothing new, really), assassination contracts (again, nothing new), naval battles (which are kinda fun), and the boring delivery and crafting quests.

I try to get the 100% sync, but if I can't I won't replay it.....

ctrayne

How in the fuck? How does that work? Guide me through this. Last time I checked the stealth mechanics aren't even good enough to be considered terrible. How are they an improvement?

Ubisoft doesn't understand how button inputs work. They must think the common gamer is so dumb that he/she'd rather have babysitting as opposed to actually pressing buttons to do stuff. Too bad this is a videogame and you need to press buttons to do stuff.

Coming off of Dishonored, I could not believe how unresponsive and vague the controls are in AC. Don't get me wrong - I know they are going for a natural look to movement, and I appreciate the work that goes into making freerunning and climbing possible on this grand scale. But I really like tight, snappy controls that respond accurately. It's part of what makes games like Thief and Deus Ex great - if you screw up, it's your own fault, not the game's.

Combined with the endless bugs, the fidgety controls in AC3 make being crafty and subversive nearly impossible. I stopped even trying to sneak in the forts; just wasn't worth it when Connor would do something I didn't intend, get caught, and soon there are 50 guards on me.

Like I've mentioned before though, I appreciate the setting and the scale of it all. Obviously a lot of work went into that aspect of it. And the Peg Leg missions were pretty fun.

Try looking in one of the taverns. I found one in one of them that didn't show up on the map.

I don't think anyone is denying that playing as Connor feels fantastic ( some people could argue combat isn't great).

Problem for me is that most mission objectives and optional ones pinpoint the weak parts of the game mechanics and rub it in your face.

farnham

Banned
Started the wiiu version today and noticed there is a charcter i never saw in the opening...i am currently also starting revelations so there is a gap i need to fill

conman

Coming off of Dishonored, I could not believe how unresponsive and vague the controls are in AC. Don't get me wrong - I know they are going for a natural look to movement, and I appreciate the work that goes into making freerunning and climbing possible on this grand scale. But I really like tight, snappy controls that respond accurately. It's part of what makes games like Thief and Deus Ex great - if you screw up, it's your own fault, not the game's.
I get what they were going for in AC3, but it sacrifices too much. They were trying to simplify what had become a very complex (but ultimately very responsive) control system.

Over the course of four games, the controls and button combinations had become pretty heavily layered. I'm sure they brought in a whole new audience with AC3, and part of doing that successfully was killing the old, complex control mechanics. Sucks for veterans, but it's good for newcomers. I'm not against this in principle, but I think they lost some key controls in this case. Combat lost its nuance and expressiveness (in favor of automated contextual animations), and parkour/climbing lost its sharpness (in favor of just using the single trigger button).

FatCat

Greatest thing about the Wii u version is having all the HUD elements on the gamepad, television looks so less cluttered and lot more clearer.

Currently enjoying it despite the buggy mess.

Yesterday I 100% completed the single player and today I got the last multiplayer achievements. I think I am going to take a break from this game for a while. Play something nice, calming, and isn't filled with a million bugs. I think Minecraft is my answer.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I also like th combat more and the mobilty of Connor comapred to assassins past.
One thing I LOVE about this one is the feel of swashbuckling with a group of enemies. The battle animations are the best I've ever seen, and it feels intuitive like the Arkham games but a lot weightier.

issue i have is most kill animations are great to watch, but take wayyyy too long. similar problem with older games. The slow animations makes the whole 'wait until he attacks me' more apparent.

Wix

Started the wiiu version today and noticed there is a charcter i never saw in the opening...i am currently also starting revelations so there is a gap i need to fill

Desmond's dad maybe, William?

william-miles-assassin-creed-revelations.jpg

Also, stumbled on this (AC2 spoilers) today, gotta say I miss all the mystery behind Subject 16 and the AC2 puzzles, those truly were great.

Um gonna go ahead and guess this is a glitch...finished all the liberation missions in NY east, yet the assassin contact is not showing anywhere on the map,even though the game keeps telling me to talk to him....

Marleyman

Banned
Um gonna go ahead and guess this is a glitch...finished all the liberation missions in NY east, yet the assassin contact is not showing anywhere on the map,even though the game keeps telling me to talk to him....

I missed out on one recruit even though I liberated every area; no clue what happened to him.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Also, stumbled on this (AC2 spoilers) today, gotta say I miss all the mystery behind Subject 16 and the AC2 puzzles, those truly were great.

I loved those puzzles in both AC2 and Brotherhood and have sorely missed them ever since.

I am partway through Sequence 10 and I still have no idea how to craft things, create convoys, and then send out convoys to get me money. Because of that I cannot afford to upgrade my ship at all. Any tips/insight? I have completed all Homestead missions available up to that point and I think that plays a part somehow.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I am partway through Sequence 10 and I still have no idea how to craft things, create convoys, and then send out convoys to get me money. Because of that I cannot afford to upgrade my ship at all. Any tips/insight? I have completed all Homestead missions available up to that point and I think that plays a part somehow.
You craft things from the crafting menu. Go to the manor, and open up the book. Craft a convoy if you have the recipe. If you don't, you'll have to level up your residents.

His dad looks different on that screenshot.

What was the point of "The Truth"? It doesn't actually reveal anything, right?

_Isaac

Sometimes the icons just disappear from the map. This makes it really difficult to find the necessary people. Sometimes you think you did all the liberation missions, but there might be a few that don't appear on the map. Of course it's also possible that you're done and just have to find your person. Yes. This is a glitch. What I would do is pull up the map of the city you're trying ot liberate and then go to the top selection in the menu that will show you liberation percentage. Hover over your incomplete areas and it'll say the name of the contact. Then just look up a map or something that will show where that person or his/her missions are located. I had to do this for two of my assassins.

You can access the crafting menu by going into the Davenport Mansion and turning left into the first room you see when you enter from the front door. There you'll see an accounting book that will open up the menu. These books can be found in any general store. Here you can craft all kinds of items to use/sell. I would craft a naval convoy as soon as you can. As far as what you want to sell, I suggest selling beaver and bear pelts. They sell for pretty good money. You can sell the pelts from the animals you've hunted or you can go to the Stockpile option and buy the pelts from your huntress lady. Beaver pelts should be accessible pretty early on, but try to level her up as soon as you can so you have access to the even more profitable bear pelts. That's what I primarily concentrated on, and I finished the game with over 100,000 E. I don't know if anybody else has a good moneymaking strategy. I would also get chest maps and look for those.

SP is 100% after 48 hours and change.

I'm never putting up with the chore-quests in this series again.

Haytham is the best thing to come from this game.

I don't want another Colonial America game in the series. In fact, I never wanted this one. The "Real World" Ending was so horribly weak and short considering the entire series has been building up to this ending for five fucking years.

I still had fun with it, but the formula is finally starting to drag on me, and it's easily the weakest SP story in the entire franchise.

Yes. I'm one of these people who actually loved AC I.

conman

Any reason why those kind of puzzles never returned?
They didn't even have time to get the basics right. There's no way they had the time to get good, smart, challenging, fair puzzles into the game. They just threw in a bunch of easy (and unexplained) filler instead.

I don't know if anybody else has a good moneymaking strategy. I would also get chest maps and look for those.

I believe Fine Clothes are the most valuable thing you can sell, but I think they actually work out worse than Bear pelts because of the money you spend on crafting the ingredients for them. Beaver and Bear pelts are cheap to buy (and pretty easy to hunt yourself, if you really want to), and you can just ship them off without digging through the awful menu. Sending them on Naval Convoys will get you more money, but Land Convoys take so much less time that it makes the Naval Convoys basically worthless. I think you get roughtly $800 for a Bear Pelt over land and $1200 by sea, but Land Convoys take 13 minutes and Navals take 38 minutes, so it's always more cost effective to use Land Convoys.

Le-mo

So the game finished downloading this morning but I don't want to start playing it until I finish my backlog. Just 15 games to go. :(

Scapegoat

You craft things from the crafting menu. Go to the manor, and open up the book. Craft a convoy if you have the recipe. If you don't, you'll have to level up your residents.

His dad looks different on that screenshot.

What was the point of "The Truth"? It doesn't actually reveal anything, right?
I don't think it specifically reveals anything new outside of what you learn at the end of AC2 but it's still incredible seeing it all in a CG video.

question about Lucy, was there any actual proof that she was a traitor outside of space lady saying so?

Been so long since... brotherhood?
The Lost Archive DLC for AC: Revelations tells you what Lucy was doing specifically.
Basically Lucy was an Assassin agent in deep cover at Abstergo. William Miles sends Assassin agent Clay (Subject 16) to be intentionally captured by Abstergo, where he will get assistance from Lucy to get a bunch of data and then break out. Lucy had been undercover for years with no Assassin contact, and so, was eventually turned by Viddic. Subject 16 continued on with the plan as expected however once it was time to leave Lucy informed him that she was a Templar. She said that she would keep her promise to keep Clay safe/alive, but that she could not let him escape/ever leave. Knowing this Clay kills himself and uploads his consciousness to the animus where he starts creating the puzzles and stuff for Desmond. Sidenote: the reward for doing the Subject 16 puzzles in ACB is "The Miracle", where you meet Clay/Subject 16 for the first time, albeit in a very disjointed/scattered form. Here he alludes to Lucy's true intentions when he says "she is not who you think she is".

With Clay dead Abstergo move onto finding and capturing Subject 17, Desmond. At the end of AC1, Viddic realised that they weren't getting the information they needed from Desmond fast enough, so he conspired to have Lucy break Desmond out and rejoin the Assassins and continue to search for the Pieces of Eden. Lucy let's Viddic know where their hideout is, allowing him to assault them at the end of AC2. He lets them escape and collects the data left behind by Lucy.

Ironically they put the only revelation in the DLC, leaving the main game with nothing...

I get what they were going for in AC3, but it sacrifices too much. They were trying to simplify what had become a very complex (but ultimately very responsive) control system.

Over the course of four games, the controls and button combinations had become pretty heavily layered. I'm sure they brought in a whole new audience with AC3, and part of doing that successfully was killing the old, complex control mechanics. Sucks for veterans, but it's good for newcomers. I'm not against this in principle, but I think they lost some key controls in this case. Combat lost its nuance and expressiveness (in favor of automated contextual animations), and parkour/climbing lost its sharpness (in favor of just using the single trigger button).
I would argue the combat in AC3 is just as simplistic as the combat in AC/AC2/ACB/ACR. In all the previous games it still boiled down to holding RT and waiting for the counter (then chain-killing everyone in sight from ACB onward). AC3 at least adds a tiny bit of nuance with the counter-pairing, but like the base combat in the previous games, this becomes very repetitive, very quickly.

What do you mean the freerunning lost it's "sharpness"? The only major differences I notice is that you hold one less button (RT vs RT and A) and that the traversal animations have been sped up considerable. The latter change disappointed me as it makes a lot of the climbing maneuvers look pretty silly when they occur so quickly, without any preparation/launching.

I don't think it specifically reveals anything new outside of what you learn at the end of AC2 but it's still incredible seeing it all in a CG video.

The Lost Archive DLC for AC: Revelations tells you what Lucy was doing specifically.
Basically Lucy was an Assassin agent in deep cover at Abstergo. William Miles sends Assassin agent Clay (Subject 16) to be intentionally captured by Abstergo, where he will get assistance from Lucy to get a bunch of data and then break out. Lucy had been undercover for years with no Assassin contact, and so, was eventually turned by Viddic. Subject 16 continued on with the plan as expected however once it was time to leave Lucy informed him that she was a Templar. She said that she would keep her promise to keep Clay safe/alive, but that she could not let him escape/ever leave. Knowing this Clay kills himself and uploads his consciousness to the animus where he starts creating the puzzles and stuff for Desmond. Sidenote: the reward for doing the Subject 16 puzzles in ACB is "The Miracle", where you meet Clay/Subject 16 for the first time, albeit in a very disjointed/scattered form. Here he alludes to Lucy's true intentions when he says "she is not who you think she is".

With Clay dead Abstergo move onto finding and capturing Subject 17, Desmond. At the end of AC1, Viddic realised that they weren't getting the information they needed from Desmond fast enough, so he conspired to have Lucy break Desmond out and rejoin the Assassins and continue to search for the Pieces of Eden. Lucy let's Viddic know where their hideout is, allowing him to assault them at the end of AC2. He lets them escape and collects the data left behind by Lucy.

Ironically they put the only revelation in the DLC, leaving the main game with nothing...

wow. the only dlc that i didnt' buy out of all the ac games is the one that has some good plot beats.

and true lol. Revelation had barely anything to do with the desmond thing... actually i didn't finish those shitty portal puzzles... fuck it, ill go check out the AC wikia.

Scapegoat

wow. the only dlc that i didnt' buy out of all the ac games is the one that has some good plot beats.

and true lol. Revelation had barely anything to do with the desmond thing... actually i didn't finish those shitty portal puzzles... fuck it, ill go check out the AC wikia.
Yeah the first person block puzzles were pretty tepid. The Lost Archive DLC is basically more of that gameplay wise. It's more refined and better paced then the Desmond memories but still pretty average overall.

Pretty much. The Assassin Tombs were some of the highlights of the Ezio games but they are hard to replicate with the time period and region. The Pegleg missions are the closest they can get so I hope we get more.

I've only done one Pegleg mission but it swung too far to "this is Uncharted" territory for my liking (very linear, highly scripted). A lot of Revelations' tombs had this feeling as well. I just want the skill-based platforming challenges from AC2.

Old man yelling at clouds, I guess.

Drazgul

Guys.
Make barrels, and buy 10 rye and 10 barley. Then craft spirits. Best way to make money.

About the crafting (and the homestead in general): how long do you have to wait until you can really get into this? I'm in the beginning of sequence 8 now (supposed to go to New York for the first time) and I still have only one artisan - the lvl 1 woodworker you get early on. I've been checking the maps pretty regularly, but I haven't got any new homesteaders other than the herbalist and the farmer couple.

KevinCow

Banned
About the crafting (and the homestead in general): how long do you have to wait until you can really get into this? I'm in the beginning of sequence 8 now (supposed to go to New York for the first time) and I still have only one artisan - the lvl 1 woodworker you get early on. I've been checking the maps pretty regularly, but I haven't got any new homesteaders other than the herbalist and the farmer couple.

I did pretty much all of the Homestead missions in between two missions during sequence... 10? And the way they play out, they seem to assume I've been doing them for a while.

Just keep an eye out for Homestead missions everywhere. Homestead, Frontier, and both cities. It seems like some of them unlock based on your progress in the game, while others unlock based on how many Homestead missions you've done.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I've only done one Pegleg mission but it swung too far to "this is Uncharted" territory for my liking (very linear, highly scripted). A lot of Revelations' tombs had this feeling as well. I just want the skill-based platforming challenges from AC2.

Old man yelling at clouds, I guess.

I was going to ask if I'd somehow missed the old style tombs completely when I came in and saw this. Sigh.

And am I missing something, or are the mail missions completely untimed? Are they just glorified fetch (well, delivering) quests?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Thought I'd as this in here since it relates directly to AC3.

A friend of mine is trying to play AC3 online against her brother (they're both on PS3), but when they try to create a group by sending an invitation, the recipient just gets a message saying the online session is already over. Anyone else have had this problem and know a solution to it?

conman

I would argue the combat in AC3 is just as simplistic as the combat in AC/AC2/ACB/ACR. In all the previous games it still boiled down to holding RT and waiting for the counter (then chain-killing everyone in sight from ACB onward). AC3 at least adds a tiny bit of nuance with the counter-pairing, but like the base combat in the previous games, this becomes very repetitive, very quickly.
It really didn't though, even in the first game. That's just how most people chose to play. But the combat in AC1 was incredibly deep and varied, and allowed for enormous experimentation. But as with almost everything else in the game, most players were too impatient or indifferent to bother with the huge amount of experimentation that was possible. AC2's combat was dumbed down a bit, but then ACB and ACR built back up the huge experimentation toolkit. If combat really seemed that simple to you, it means you weren't taking advantage of everything that was available or possible.

In AC3, almost none of that huge library of techniques, weapons, and tools is available. It boils down to just a few techniques, but tries to make it seem varied by rolling in a bunch of varied animations instead.

What do you mean the freerunning lost it's "sharpness"? The only major differences I notice is that you hold one less button (RT vs RT and A) and that the traversal animations have been sped up considerable. The latter change disappointed me as it makes a lot of the climbing maneuvers look pretty silly when they occur so quickly, without any preparation/launching.
Using the A button in different situations in addition to the trigger meant that you could choose to climb, drop, jump at specific times and contexts. But in AC3, just using the one button means that all of that simply "happens" and you lose the ability to choose exactly how you traverse the environment. Though oddly, they still make you push an extra button to leap/slide over things--which, ironically, is something that should have been just rolled into the trigger press. So by losing "sharpness," I mean that you lose one of the means of greater control and precision in your movement. As with combat, they've sacrificed player control and replaced it with automated animation.

But these are just minor nitpicks. However, they are emblematic of an overall design philosophy that favors automation (through an admittedly excellent animation system) over player control. That emphasis on automation over player control applies to how they designed missions, the frustrating stealth fail states, combat, traversal, etc. It's a series that has always been predicated on player freedom in gameplay (experimentation and exploration) and political freedom in its storylines, but there's very little of that left in AC3.

It really didn't though, even in the first game. That's just how most people chose to play. But the combat in AC1 was incredibly deep and varied, and allowed for enormous experimentation. But as with almost everything else in the game, most players were too impatient or indifferent to bother with the huge amount of experimentation that was possible. AC2's combat was dumbed down a bit, but then ACB and ACR built back up the huge experimentation toolkit. If combat really seemed that simple to you, it means you weren't taking advantage of everything that was available or possible.

In AC3, almost none of that huge library of techniques, weapons, and tools is available. It boils down to just a few techniques, but tries to make it seem varied by rolling in a bunch of varied animations instead.

Using the A button in different situations in addition to the trigger meant that you could choose to climb, drop, jump at specific times and contexts. But in AC3, just using the one button means that all of that simply "happens" and you lose the ability to choose exactly how you traverse the environment. Though oddly, they still make you push an extra button to leap/slide over things--which, ironically, is something that should have been just rolled into the trigger press. So by losing "sharpness," I mean that you lose one of the means of greater control and precision in your movement. As with combat, they've sacrificed player control and replaced it with automated animation.

But these are just minor nitpicks. However, they are emblematic of an overall design philosophy that favors automation (through an admittedly excellent animation system) over player control. That emphasis on automation over player control applies to how they designed missions, the frustrating stealth fail states, combat, traversal, etc. It's a series that has always been predicated on player freedom in gameplay (experimentation and exploration) and political freedom in its storylines, but there's very little of that left in AC3.

Can you give some examples of the more complex combat in the older games. I pretty much just countered my way through them.

Top Bottom