• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

phalestine

aka iby.h
33$ @ Amazon today.

I have a 10 dollar promotional credit that I got when I bought the Vita deal on BF. Since I already have the game, its up for grabs making it 23 dollars. Just PM me for it.

Starting sequence 10 and this game is so fucking boring.

I suppose it doesn't help that I like Haytham more than I like Connor. Even Achilles is more interesting than Connor.

Or maybe it's the American history angle but ugh...this is unfun.

Ricker

Fuck this sequence 12 chase...where do I go once inside the burning ship...? tried about 10 times so far and I always fail there,and no I don't give a shit about the extra objectives,which are even more dumb and frustratingly awful then the others before..

conman

Except it doesn't really follow those points up; it just comes across as vindictive taunting rather than statements with a clear basis in reality. There's never any *response* to the hypocrisy given - and in the example I gave, I'm not entirely convinced that Ubisoft were particularly aware how hypocritical that specific example was. It was just a Cool Sequence, and because it was a Cool Sequence, it went in.
You're right. I was just trying to give a more positive spin to an otherwise incredibly disappointing game. But, yeah, there's not a lot of "cohesion" in any aspect of AC3 (story, gameplay systems, themes, technical performance, etc., etc.).

It's pretty much inconsistent across the board. So even if they "tell" you that there's a lot of moral blurriness between good and evil, and between Assassin and Templar, that doesn't actually play out in the game itself.

Just started playing yesterday. Only up to sequence 4 but I am loving this one. Not sure why its getting so much gafHate. Guess time will tell. Oh and for the record
FUCK
Nine man's Morris.

Izick

I can't fucking play this anymore, it's driving me insane. Trying to do the optional objectives when they're "do not get detected" are absolute fucking torture because this isn't a stealth game; at least it's not meant to be that type of stealth game. Not to mention the main character feels like a pinball, bouncing off everything at will, giving me the sense of little to no control most times.

The gameplay is a fucking train wreck.

iNvid02

I can't fucking play this anymore, it's driving me insane. Trying to do the optional objectives when they're "do not get detected" are absolute fucking torture because this isn't a stealth game; at least it's not meant to be that type of stealth game. Not to mention the main character feels like a pinball, bouncing off everything at will, giving me the sense of little to no control most times.

The gameplay is a fucking train wreck.

nobody is forcing you to do the optional stuff, you're purposely torturing yourself and complaining it hurts

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"He had an enormous 'penis.' Don't see what I'm saying?"

Shawn's added comments in these datalogs automatically make them better than 2/Bro/Rev's.

Ricker

Thanks for that...I didn't start like him but it worked anyway,it's the little part inside the burning ship that was giving me problems...made it now and finished the game...overall I really enjoyed it,once you get it in your head that the filler is not as good as the previous 3 installments...the story,of course,is amazing and I actually liked Connor as much as Haythan...might do a few Homestead stuff to try and finish it up,if it ever finishes and send my 6 Assassins on all the missions...besides that,pretty much done.

Definetly will be in my top 5 games of the year.

Izick

nobody is forcing you to do the optional stuff, you're purposely torturing yourself and complaining it hurts

Yes, blame the player for fucking PLAYING the game.

The problem isn't that I was trying to do the optional stuff, it's that Connor either handles like a slow moving tank or greased up rubber ball shot out of a cannon, and there's no in between. The problem is that the game was never supposed to be a stealth game with open environments or areas, but they shoehorned that in to fit the setting. The problem is they haven't refined the gameplay since Brotherhood (haven't played Revelations), but instead have taken step backs like removing the double-assination move except for when running full speed. The problem is that the missions get painfully tedious and frustrating to do, especially for those wackos like me who want to 100% it. (What a crazy idea; playing a game!?)

That's all the shitty, piss-poor decisions that were made in regard towards the gameplay, don't even get me started on the story, characters, atmosphere, or anything like that; or should I say the lack of all that.

Shawn's added comments in these datalogs automatically make them better than 2/Bro/Rev's.

I find some of them too sarcastic actually.

Anyway. There's a part where conner's trainer (forgot his name) tells him to take record of things so people in the future can know how the past was. The game then tells you to press L1 to scan stuff. Where and when can this be done? I have to be able to do any of that.

Also, is there an easy way to make money? By this point in other AC's i had enough money to buy whatever i wanted. I have less than 2000 whatever it's called.

on the gameplay perspective , Creed 3 has some problems that annoy me especially if you look at some small details.
The frontier is big , this could have been a great playing ground is really just "it"...
but my real problem is with the optionnal objectives.

First they aren't set from the start , you start with like 2 side objectives and then in the last third of the sequence you get another ... this isn't good i get sometimes enjoyed getting some side objectives only to be greeted by some another bullsht objective in the last part that you might failat the last second the mission structure could have been much much better.

Second some side objective have no change in the story ..in sequence 3 i have to disable 2 cannons and then you realise that they have no use at all later ( in the story or in that mission )

later i'm tasked to follow some cart while listening to their conversation in a frost without hiding in said cart ... ( an objective that i did ) only to find out that after the checkpoint , the game make me start in said cart as if that was the natural way to do the mission.

there are countless examples of such inconsistencies in this game and it make the side objectives appear to be poorly constructed/planned to the player and feel totally uncessary.

How many times do they ask me something verrrry annoying only to find that not only it's no use but worse they less annoying method was the correct one ?

Kjellson

I'm pretty early in the game but I have two questions:

1. How did Achilles know that
Haytham was Connor's father
??
2. What was Achilles thinking when he gave Connor that name after he said he should have a Spanish or Italian name? Connor doesn't sound very Spanish or Italian to me.

conman

The tone of Shaun's entries is totally off in AC3. In the database entries in AC2/ACB, he always came off as a patronizing, over-educated ass with a dry wit and a wry sense of humor. But now he comes off as a dimwitted, egotistical, unfunny dillwad. It's a thin line, but it's an important one. Like everything else in AC3, these needed editing and polish.

I'm pretty early in the game but I have two questions:

1. How did Achilles know that
Haytham was Connor's father
??
2. What was Achilles thinking when he have Connor that name after he said he should have a Spanish or Italian name? Connor doesn't sound very Spanish or Italian to me.

Yeah, the way characters casually drop that revelation gets pretty annoying. In Achilles' case, I believe the clan mother mentioned in an early cutscene that he previously helped Connor's mother in some way at some point. Presumably, she told him about Haytham and her son's connection.

You'll learn the reason later.

The tone of Shaun's entries is totally off in AC3. In the database entries in AC2/ACB, he always came off as a patronizing, over-educated ass with a dry wit and a wry sense of humor. But now he comes off as a dimwitted, egotistical, unfunny dillwad. It's a thin line, but it's an important one. Like everything else in AC3, these needed editing and polish.

Glad im not the only one who noticed. Most of it is making fun at us. One comment went something like "What have you done with your life besides sit around in your underwear and make microwave food?"

The fuck?

And others attack our intelligence. "I wouldn't expect you to know this with the way the american education system is going"

The fuck?

Anyway. There's a part where conner's trainer (forgot his name) tells him to take record of things so people in the future can know how the past was. The game then tells you to press L1 to scan stuff. Where and when can this be done? I have to be able to do any of that.

Also, is there an easy way to make money? By this point in other AC's i had enough money to buy whatever i wanted. I have less than 2000 whatever it's called.

Anyone?

mclem

It's a game. It's all "optional." If optional goals are bad, then they shouldn't be in there.

I 100%ed it, completing the optional objectives as I went. Other than one or two that felt a little counter-intuitive...

After being saved from the noose, killing two guards before getting your main target *without* Washington's bodyguards dying.

On the chase I was kvetching about earlier on Dead Chest Island, I'm not sure it's possible to catch the target before he reaches the cave - I had to fling a poison dart at him. However, bow and revolver didn't work, for apparently no good reason

...I really didn't find them particularly hard or unfair. I mean, they're meant to be a challenge, and they certainly are, but they struck me as *fair* challenges.

mclem

I found the comment in the entries about how he should thing about starting his own country really rather amusing. I liked them; I like his tone, it's rather similar to the attitude I'd have.

Glad im not the only one who noticed. Most of it is making fun at us. One comment went something like "What have you done with your life besides sit around in your underwear and make microwave food?"

The fuck?

And others attack our intelligence. "I wouldn't expect you to know this with the way the american education system is going"

The fuck?

He's taking the piss out of Desmond. Not you. And it's tongue-in-cheek, if rather drily so. I did wonder when reading them if some folks would take it rather personally, though.

Just started playing a few days ago, this is my first AC game since II (never finished it) and I am enjoying it overall.

Pros:

- Awesome setting, especially for me as a history nerd. It's amazing how faithfully the team has crafted colonial Boston and lets you interact with famous historical figures from both sides of the conflict. While obviously the historical accuracy is off, I appreciate that the devs took the time to educate players on characters you meet and places you visit via the animus database.

- Satisfying combat. The killing animations are absolutely stunning to watch and I never get tired of sinking my tomahawk into the necks of some redcoats.

- Great graphics. While there's the occasional pop-in, blurry textures, and some characters that look like they've been lathered in crisco; the game looks stunning. Walking through the forest the first time was one of the best moments in this generation of gaming I can recall. Literally breathtaking.

Cons:

- There's almost too much to do. Between the story, naval missions, liberation missions, homestead activities, etc there is just so much to see and do that Connor's main quest seems to lose its importance.

- Inconsistent combat. The system is so much like Arkham City that they should have just shamelessly copied it. Since you're usually fighting large groups of enemies countering is useless because by the time you hit the button and then try to open them up for an attack, 2-3 guys jump you from behind making you counter them. This process just repeats itself and it can end up taking forever to kill enemies unless you get the jump on them.

- Desmond bits still suck. The series doesn't even need this modern day animus BS, I just want to be a badass assassin killing people in a historical setting. These portions slow the game down to a crawl and make me want to shelve the game for something else at times.

- Free running controls are generally good but you still get stuck on shit you don't want to climb or hang onto which is annoying when you're trying to escape a group of enemies.

- Lip syncing is awful at times, maybe a patch can fix this.

Overall I'm having fun with AC3; I'd say it's the best single player of any game I've played all year. We'll see if that changes once I pick up Halo 4 this weekend.

_Isaac

So is there a way to earn money in this game besides looting chests?

Selling stuff in convoys from your Homestead. Just read the accounting book in your Homestead mansion or the general stores. There you can craft stuff or sell expensive items. To get the good stuff to sell, you have to do a lot of Homestead missions though.

TheSeks

The fuck?

That one was poking fun at us.

The fuck?

That one is poking fun of Britian/world's attitudes (and the known shittiness of) toward the American education system.

You guys may see it as an asshole thing, but I personally love it. Smarmy assholism is my bag, baby.

He's taking the piss out of Desmond. Not you. And it's tongue-in-cheek, if rather drily so. I did wonder when reading them if some folks would take it rather personally, though.

And this as well. He's poking fun of Desmond and Desmond being the Animus guy while Rebecca, William/Lucy, and him bust their ass to make sure Abstergo doesn't find them + Desmond while providing information to Desmond.

Ein Bear

I get a good laugh from the Shaun stuff. I'm English myself, and think it really helps stop the game from feeling anti-British. It's nice to have them poke a bit of fun at the US side of things too.

gdt

Can't someone give me some advice with the trading/making money aspect of the game? So I buy stuff from my homestead, then sell it, ok got that. But how do I craft more stuff with so little resources. And how do I get more trade routes?

SJRB

Gold Member
Can't someone give me some advice with the trading/making money aspect of the game? So I buy stuff from my homestead, then sell it, ok got that. But how do I craft more stuff with so little resources. And how do I get more trade routes?

You unlock more crafting items by getting more crafing recipes. You aquire those through treasure chests. In order to make most recipes you need certain homestead artisans.

So basically what you want to do is to get more people to your homestead through finding the objective markers spread throughout the world, then do their missions in order to upgrade their capabilities, then acquire the required materials, then make the preferred recipe, then put it on a trade caravan, then cross your fingers the caravan doesn't get jacked.

..or you could run across the river for bever genocide and sell the pelts to traveling merchants. Easy money.

conman

People actually take those seriously? I was laughing every time I came across another Shaun-ism.
Of course they're supposed to be jokes. But the ones in the prior games were actually, you know, funny. His "jokes" in AC3 are just cheap, lowest-common-denominator jabs. More schoolyard bully humor than arrogant bastard humor.

Yet one more sign among dozens that AC3 is a major step down on the intelligence scale for the series.

Planning to pick this up soon, anything I should know before going into it? I know with some open world games its important to do the right stuff early on. Anything like that here?

Should I perhaps wait for a special edition with the DLC?

Finally getting around to the actual being an Assassin part of the game and I only have one question:

Can you still throw heavy weapons at enemies like you could in the last couple? That might have been my favourite thing to do in the series.

_Isaac

Finally getting around to the actual being an Assassin part of the game and I only have one question:

Can you still throw heavy weapons at enemies like you could in the last couple? That might have been my favourite thing to do in the series.

I've been able to do it with heavy axes. I didn't try it with a lance though, so I didn't get to see anybody get impaled.

Omni

Planning to pick this up soon, anything I should know before going into it? I know with some open world games its important to do the right stuff early on. Anything like that here?

Should I perhaps wait for a special edition with the DLC?

Yeah. Don't go into it expecting anything like ACII (in regards to environments, story and characters.. even controls)... hell, even ACI. The game is pretty damn linear and it's very straight forward... and frustratingly boring and clunky. Basically, expect the worst and maybe you'll get some enjoyment out of it. Everything is just laid out in front of you, so you don't have any choice in what order you do things.

Stuff like crafting and trading is a complete waste of time, so don't even bother with that, IMO (Not that the system is ever explained the to player during the game).

Emwitus

I've realized these kind of games aren't for me anymore. And does anyone know if the engine changed drastically? I never used to get headaches from camera movements in previous AC games. This one is almost like an FPS with how bad my head hurts after an hour of play. It's like it got worse as the generation has gone on with these games. Does anyone else have the same issue?

TheSeks

Sequence 7's "Air Assassinate a Grenadier while remaining undetected" is pretty bullshit.

Im not understanding what im suppose to do with the liberation contracts in NY.

One of them was talking about the merchants and she told me to take whatever it was that she was giving me, but nothing happened.

Sequence 7's "Air Assassinate a Grenadier while remaining undetected" is pretty bullshit.

Yeah that must be a joke. I couldn't do it.

TheSeks

I did it, but it took me an hour. Go to the left ship, kill the one person to the left of the Grenader climbing up the back after the Grenader passes. Drop down quickly and move right, climb up after you reach the far right/bow of the ship. Kill the dude there. Grenader will investigate. Kill him from the crates by moving around and 180ing behind him/on his six assassinate.

Then you have to deal with the three guards left. Get them to notice you, get away and climb over a rail. They'll investigate the bodies you made. Arm the bomb and GTFO.

After that if you have 8 arrows and 3 poison darts, climb the second ships masts and assassinate the guards there. When you thin out/run out of arrows climb down a bit and use the poison dartss. Should be enough to kill them all. Arm the bomb and finish the mission.

But I'm now stuck at the battleground no damage.

Im not understanding what im suppose to do with the liberation contracts in NY.

One of them was talking about the merchants and she told me to take whatever it was that she was giving me, but nothing happened.

I did some more research. It seems this is because of the glitch?

Nothings happens with the other contract too. He just talks to me and that's it. Am i missing something?

TheSeks

DO NOT TACKLE OF [sic] ANYONE!

*proceeds to tackle of shove everyone in the way*

Fucks sake, Ubisoft. :|

I've heard the rope dart works for this?

Edit: "And I put this at the end because I'm a bastard." :lol Shawn.

Also WTF at
Haythem and Connor working together you'd think Connor would watch his six for a surprise shanking
but noooo. And then
Haythem flees leaving you to deal with 13 mercs. Bastard.

Top Bottom