• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Randdalf

I'm not getting my expectations up for this one... I was stoked for Brotherhood, but Revelations kind of turned me off the series a little bit. Watching the trailers and footage for this one, I can't help but get the feeling that something's "off" about it and it's just more of the same. Hey ho, I'll wait for reviews.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not getting my expectations up for this one... I was stoked for Brotherhood, but Revelations kind of turned me off the series a little bit. Watching the trailers and footage for this one, I can't help but get the feeling that something's "off" about it and it's just more of the same. Hey ho, I'll wait for reviews.

I thought Brotherhood/Revelations was worked on by like an AC B-team while the A-team were working for years to get AC3 out?

I am a little confused as to how Ubisoft handles their trillion-large AC staff, to be honest.

So the Benedict Arnold missions are PS3 exclusive.. Well thats fucking bullshit.

This whole platform exclusive DLC is a joke. They really think im gonna go pick up a PS3 just to get this extra content? Absolutely not. Do i want it? Fucking right i do.

All this platform exclusive bullshit does in piss off the consumer in the long run.

WTF Benedict Arnold missions exclusive to PS3!?

That actually does make me pause... :< PC excluded too?

CrazyDude

I thought Brotherhood/Revelations was worked on by like an AC B-team while the A-team were working for years to get AC3 out?

I am a little confused as to how Ubisoft handles their trillion-large AC staff, to be honest.

WTF Benedict Arnold missions exclusive to PS3!?

That actually does make me pause... :< PC excluded too?

Yes, PC version as well.

Theres no fucking point in that strategy at all. Just makes people who buy on the other platforms feel shortchanged.

Same when we get those cod map packs early, how does it benefit anyone? Sure the devs make money and whatever. Just fucks the consumer over as usual.

CrazyDude

Theres no fucking point in that strategy at all. Just makes people who buy on the other platforms feel shortchanged.

Same when we get those cod map packs early, how does it benefit anyone? Sure the devs make money and whatever. Just fucks the consumer over as usual.

At least everyone gets it eventually.

German Magazine say AC3 is best AC game, but the ending sucks.

944x531.jpg

So the Benedict Arnold missions are PS3 exclusive.. Well thats fucking bullshit.

This whole platform exclusive DLC is a joke. They really think im gonna go pick up a PS3 just to get this extra content? Absolutely not. Do i want it? Fucking right i do.

All this platform exclusive bullshit does in piss off the consumer in the long run.

As mentioned eariler, Sony has a co-marketing deal with the game so Sony is paying to have that content.. Game companies can no longer pay for straight exclusives so we see things like this instead.

As mentioned eariler, Sony has a co-marketing deal with the game so Sony is paying to have that content.. Game companies can no longer pay for straight exclusives so we see things like this instead.

So PC and 360 owners just get shortchanged cause sony pony up that dough? Seems dumb to me. Fuck Ubisoft. Ill be even happier buying this preowned for the 360 after xmas.

SJRB

Gold Member
That's not good considering this is supposed to wrap things up finally.

It is supposed to wrap up the Desmond storyline, but there's no doubt it will end with another mindfuck plot twist cliffhanger that will make everyone scratch their heads.

Derrick01

Banned
I actually did. The whole timed/exclusive DLC thing is ridiculous.

We agree there. I want to play those missions on PC, though I'm sure we'll get it eventually. We'll just have to pay for it.

It does wrap things, it's how they wrap it up.

Yeah that's disappointing. There's nothing worse than something lasting for several games/movies and then dropping the ball at the end.

*coughmasseffect3cough*

Deadbeat

Banned
It does wrap things, it's how they wrap it up.
But what is the bad ending referring to? Conner's story or the desmond story? Because one of these doesnt matter and never will. The desmond storyline has already gone so far off the deep end theres no way to redeem it.

I'm not bothered by those weird screenshots but the reports about an unstable framerate terrify me. Earlier in the thread someone even said the framerate was unlocked and jumped around from 20 to 60? That is some serious bullshit, might have to wait for pc.

Irish

Circle/B wasn't "Interact". It was "use your hand". To open a door, to hit a swtich, to sign the lease on a shut down storefront, loot a body, to throw a knife, whatever. Look, you're not going to convince me to be happy that they abandoned the puppeteering thing, which I always valued as a cool little AC trademark. Give it up.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just saying wasting the Triangle button on absolutely fucking nothing is pretty pointless and doesn't suit a decent control scheme, which is my opinion. Maintaining that marionette illusion simply doesn't matter to me when you never use the 'Head' outside of a very few specific instances directly outside of moment to moment gameplay. It was definitely for the best that they decided to do away with it, personal likes aside.

Amir0x

Banned
Yes, PC version as well.

gah... guess I'll get the PS3 version then or something :/

That's not good considering this is supposed to wrap things up finally.

Did anyone really think the AC story could end anything except hilariously? It's some comically awful Mayan conspiracy theory nutter fever dream. It can't possible have an ending that is quality after like 4 games of straight shit story :p

That said, I always enjoying soaking in the atmosphere of their "historical" playgrounds. I can't wait to run around Revolutionary War-era America... just dunno if the wilderness segments will be anything except tedious

We agree there. I want to play those missions on PC, though I'm sure we'll get it eventually. We'll just have to pay for it.

Brotherhood also had PS3 exclusive content (Copernicus missions) and those were never made available on other platforms. A real dick move on Ubi's part.

Irish

Brotherhood also had PS3 exclusive content (Copernicus missions) and those were never made available on other platforms. A real dick move on Ubi's part.

That was completely worthless filler. Be glad you never had to waste your time with it. There wasn't a single rewarding aspect to those missions.

Muffdraul

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just saying wasting the Triangle button on absolutely fucking nothing is pretty pointless and doesn't suit a decent control scheme, which is my opinion. Maintaining that marionette illusion simply doesn't matter to me when you never use the 'Head' outside of a very few specific instances directly outside of moment to moment gameplay. It was definitely for the best that they decided to do away with it, personal likes aside.

"Outside of a very few specific instances"? It was used every time you spoke to another character (NPCs, doctors, thieves/mercs/whores, assassin recruits, whoever,) every time you used Eagle Vision... it was used constantly.

Seriously, friendo... fuck this pointless discussion. I'd say our opposing opinions are pretty duly noted by now.

hlhbk

gah... guess I'll get the PS3 version then or something :/

Did anyone really think the AC story could end anything except hilariously? It's some comically awful Mayan conspiracy theory nutter fever dream. It can't possible have an ending that is quality after like 4 games of straight shit story :p

That said, I always enjoying soaking in the atmosphere of their "historical" playgrounds. I can't wait to run around Revolutionary War-era America... just dunno if the wilderness segments will be anything except tedious

Um the AC series is someone of the best storytelling in gaming. I am 100% invested in desmonds storyline.

Not worried at all about the story, some random reviewer will not get me concerned.

Vire

Um the AC series is someone of the best storytelling in gaming. I am 100% invested in desmonds storyline.

Not worried at all about the story, some random reviewer will not get me concerned.

tumblr_mc204olgFR1ruqdo9.gif

Let's just say storytelling isn't the reason I play the AC games...

Um you know Ubisoft isn't the only company to do this right?

Any company that cashes a check so that they can forever withold content from gamers can go fuck themselves. If they want to do something like that do timed exclusives so you aren't hurting gamers.

Irish

"Outside of a very few specific instances"? Maybe in AC1. From AC2 on, it was used every time you spoke to another character (NPCs, doctors, thieves/mercs/whores, assassin recruits, whoever,) every time you used Eagle Vision... it was used constantly.

Seriously, friendo... fuck this pointless discussion.

And what purpose did it serve in combat or running? Zero. Which is why I'm glad it was revised. Free hand or 'interact' whichever you prefer to call it, they still had the same functionality and it was just awkward switching up what did what depending on the circumstance. In addition to that, Free Hand actually served a purpose when going about every other activity while Head got simply left behind. L1 already served as a 'Look at' function anyway, so it only made sense to move the other 'look at' stuff to that button and free up another for use.

I'm really not sure why you're getting so aggressive though. FUCK DISCUSSIONS IN A FORUM, ESPECIALLY IF IT IS ABOUT A TOPIC I BROUGHT UP!

hlhbk

Yeah so? Their still chumps for doing it. Fuck em, buying pre owned is the only way ill get this game now.

You also know that Ubi is a business and is out for money. IF Sony wants to pay for the content that is their right. As someone who has preordered the PS3 version for the extra content, and preordered the digital dexluse edition on PC so I can play the rest of the content I can honestly say who cares and if you love the series you should support Ubi.

Amir0x

Banned

haha, ok hilhbk, we'll have to 'agree to disagree.' But I think I can say easily that if this is 'the best storytelling in gaming', or even near the top, then gaming is in a catastrophic state and may in fact need to be put down behind the woodshed. The near endless nonsense that the Assassin's Creed story has shit out could be written into text books of laughable reading. I understand some people like stuttery nonsense written by the hand of clear retarded cracked out she-apes, guilty pleasures and whatnot, but since 'the best storytelling in gaming' is actually something like Planescape Torment, I'd hope we can at least put some context and space between what is actually good (i.e. WELL WRITTEN) and what just entertains a certain type of low-criticism player. But to each his/her own :p

I know this is the ACIII thread, and I like the AC games a lot and enjoy frolicking around their intricately recreated historical landscapes, but the story.. hoo boy.

The safe bet in all this does remain that if you liked the AC story to this point, how could AC3 get any lower? I submit that it cannot. Therefore, it's impossible to not find something to like if you're already starting on that premise.

hlhbk

tumblr_mc204olgFR1ruqdo9.gif

Let's just say storytelling isn't the reason I play the AC games...

Then what is the point of playing? The story is a huge part of the game and it gives you a reason to do something instead of randomly completing pointless missions.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
I hope Eurogamer does a Digital Foundry article on this quickly. I thought Revelations looked great on 360 but much of what I've been seeing about the 360 version of this one is giving me some pause for sure.

I'm midway through playing AC2 on PC, so I'm not exactly antsy to get AC3 day one, but if the graphics have taken such a nosedive on consoles when compared to past releases, I'll have to wait for the PC version.

Irish

I don't know, I thought the story in AC1 was pretty fucking brilliant. Obviously, it all went to shit as the series moved forward, but I still think Ubi does a relatively decent job with the characters themselves. Maybe not so great on overall plot stuff, but they definitely excel in character stories (for the most part).

Of course, when people think of AC's story they only seem to think about the Desmond shit for the most part.

Vire

Then what is the point of playing? The story is a huge part of the game and it gives you a reason to do something instead of randomly completing pointless missions.

What's the point of playing Mario? To save the princess?

That's one of the most asinine statements I've heard all week. Games don't need to have a good story to be enjoyed.

For me, it's the sense of exploration that very few games even come close to offering. I love seeing the glimpses of history and towns that each game recreates. Experiencing the setting of the Revolutionary War is the primary reason why I'm looking forward to the game, not because of the nonsensical absolutely ridiculous story. The end of AC2 is where they jumped the shark.

hlhbk

I don't know, I thought the story in AC1 was pretty fucking brilliant. Obviously, it all went to shit as the series moved forward, but I still think Ubi does a relatively decent job with the characters themselves. Maybe not so great on overall plot stuff, but they definitely excel in character stories (for the most part).

Story quality per game:

AC2 (by far the best story of this gen)>AC1>AC Revelations> AC Brotherhood (by far the most boring story by far).

Amir0x

Banned

Of course, when people think of AC's story they only seem to think about the Desmond shit for the most part.

I will admit, that if you take out the surrounding nonsense, Ezio's core original story (and its finale) were satisfying at times. Particularly, I thought the way they handled the death of some of his family by hanging was pretty shocking and potent, and gave a great catalyst for the rest of his scenario. And the end, with him discovering Altair's hidden place and that camera pan... was very well done.

It's just how can we evaluate the story without the accumulated baggage of everything else that has come in between? Kind of difficult considering it retroactively keeps corrupting details from past games :(

hlhbk

What's the point of playing Mario? To save the princess?

That's one of the most asinine statements I've heard all week. Games don't need to have a good story to be enjoyed.

For me, it's the sense of exploration that very few games even come close to offering. I love seeing the glimpses of history and towns that each game recreates. Experiencing the setting of the Revolutionary War is the primary reason why I'm looking forward to the game, not because of the nonsensical absolutely ridiculous story. The end of AC2 is where they jumped the shark.

I am 31. When I was 10 I didn't need a story to enjoy games. As I have gotten older it is very rare I can play a game without a great story. The last 2 I can think of was Splosion man, and Super Meat Boy. Other than that if I am not engaged in the story you can forget it. It was the reason I hated all MMO's before The Old Republic.

Muffdraul

And what purpose did it serve in combat or running? Zero.

And I'm OK with that.

Free hand or 'interact' whichever you prefer to call it, they still had the same functionality and it was just awkward switching up what did what depending on the circumstance.

Well, I certainly never felt it was awkward, and I've never heard a single other person say it was before either.

In addition to that, Free Hand actually served a purpose when going about every other activity while Head got simply left behind. L1 already served as a 'Look at' function anyway, so it only made sense to move the other 'look at' stuff to that button and free up another for use.

L1 wasn't "look", it was lock. You were free to "look" at whatever was on screen and then "lock" on to a specifc target. Obviously if one button is for activating Eagle Vision at will, it can't also be used for another look function.

so it only made sense to move the other 'look at' stuff to that button and free up another for use.

Aside from "lock," what other "'look at' stuff" was ever mapped to L1?

I'm really not sure why you're getting so aggressive though. FUCK DISCUSSIONS IN A FORUM, ESPECIALLY IF IT IS ABOUT A TOPIC I BROUGHT UP!

It's because we're not getting anywhere or accomplishing anything. We said what we had to say. Now we're just going in circles.

Vire

The problem with the Assassin's Creed story is that it's aimless. There are too many moving parts and nothing fits together. The story the ended up with is definitely not the one that was originally planned. What the fuck is the story about? Assassin's and Templars? The Apples? The Animus/Subject 16? Is it the ancient civilization, Adam and Eve nonsense? The end of the world in 2012 because of a meteorite?

Hell, we still have no fucking idea why Desmond
stabbed
Lucy.

It simply doesn't make any sense.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with the Assassin's Creed story is that it's aimless. There are too many moving parts and nothing fits together. The story the ended up with is definitely not the one that was originally planned. What the fuck is the story about? Assassin's and Templars? The Animus/Subject 16? Is it the ancient civilization, Adam and Eve nonsense? The end of the world in 2012 because of a meteorite?

stabbed
Lucy.

Desmond
stabbed her when he was under Juno's control because Juno knew because she was a templar

Personally I don't find the story all that hard to follow though it definitely has weak points.

Irish

It's just how can we evaluate the story without the accumulated baggage of everything else that has come in between? Kind of difficult considering it retroactively keeps corrupting details from past games :(

I can understand that. I guess I'm just personally quick to eliminate the bullshit out of my mind. Of course, I've always had my problems with Ezio as a character, but that kind of stems from my own personality which is actually very similar to Altair's so I really don't see him as being such a bland character like everyone else seems to.

hlhbk

The problem with the Assassin's Creed story is that it's aimless. There are too many moving parts and nothing fits together. The story the ended up with is definitely not the one that was originally planned. What the fuck is the story about? Assassin's and Templars? The Apples? The Animus/Subject 16? Is it the ancient civilization, Adam and Eve nonsense? The end of the world in 2012 because of a meteorite?

stabbed
Lucy.

See Ninja's response above. I find many people who don't like the AC games story generally don't understand the story.

Vire

See Ninja's response above. I find many people who don't like the AC games story generally don't understand the story.

I understand it quite well, I've played every game. That doesn't excuse it from being stupid and convoluted as hell.

I still love the games despite this, but I definitely wouldn't call it a strong suite of the series.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I understand it quite well, I've played every game. That doesn't excuse it from being stupid as hell.

If you understand it quite well then you wouldn't have all those questions as they are answered in the games (well most of them).

Amir0x

Banned

groan the ol' 'you just don't GET IT' argument >:/

Ah well. Lookin' forward to Assassin's Creed overdose in November, with Liberation and III.

Top Bottom