• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

You can believe whatever you want but I played Revelations again some days ago and I'm playing right now ACIII on the 360, same settings, same tv, same VGA cable, and Revelations looks more sharp, I'm not saying that ACIII it's worst in the graphic department, maybe it has something to do with the colour palette, I don't know but it looks less sharp when you are outdoors.

Could be the use of FXAA.

Wix

I don't mind - it's freezing in germany too ;)
But norway is 1000000 times more beautiful and you guys are all so nice - no drunken idiots that harass you at night. But I would fear that the beauty of all the fjords wouldn't be anything special anymore after living there for a while :p

Yeah, I was about to say that :p

Foshy

I've looked so many times before and never found a place that sells big name games early around here. Certainly not by putting all their copies out days in advance.
There have been a number of cases where swiss stores randomly decided to all break street date. Skyward Sword and Mario 3D Land for example were sold openly weeks in advance everywhere.

And if they don't, I've been able to get games a few days earlier at GameStop every time I asked.

vladdamad

Guys, can we please spoiler tag that screenshot discussion. I managed to not look at it in enough detail, but can we at least not discuss its implications in the open? Some of us like going into the game fresh, and from what I can tell, this is something that Ubisoft have deliberately been trying to hide

Dunan

New PS3/360 games are usually around 80 francs and Vita/3DS games 50-60, depending on where you shop.

It's certainly more expensive than in the US, but to be fair, our average wages are probably higher so it balances out. Consumption tax is at 8%, by the way.

Thanks for that; I've always wanted to live in Switzerland
I need to practice my Schweizerdütsch
so obviously I'm not too happy to see such high prices for stuff!

The price here in Japan (where they don't generally break street date) might be the most ridiculous of all: the list price is Y7770, or about $98.00!

Of course, almost all stores have it for less than the list price:

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000398170/

...and typically, at brick-and-mortar stores, you can get another 10% back in points. In Japan, never pay list price!

Here you can compare PS3 and XBox360 (Spoilers)
(I added the time information to the link so both start at the same ingame moment)
PS3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T4Lqsgh-k60#t=101s

Xbox-360:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qa9nu3Llyps#t=949s

I don't think that any version superior. The PS3 video seems a little more smooth in regards of FPS but that probably due to different encodings, video recording HW and so on.
The Xbox version looks a little bit more colorful, but that's nothing new for multi-platform games.

Xbox 360 version looks sharper in those videos.

There have been a number of cases where swiss stores randomly decided to all break street date. Skyward Sword and Mario 3D Land for example were sold openly weeks in advance everywhere.

And if they don't, I've been able to get games a few days earlier at GameStop every time I asked.

Never had that work. Employees at GameStop around here know not to do that, and I guess there just aren't that many independent stores that might not give a shit.

CrazyDude

Four images from the upcoming art book.

31.jpg

41.jpg

21.jpg

11.jpg

So this is the question that's burning in my mind-

Does AC3 go back to the "puppeteering" control concept after stupidly abandoning it in Revelations? i.e. Is the triangle/Y button used for all "head" releated actions, like talking to other characters and activating Eagle Vision?

Nope. Y is your secondary weapon use.

BTW, I got to play the game today. People should really stop posting any screens from the beginning of the game. They are HUGELY spoiler heavy, believe me.

Yup, there's no way those 360 shots are the real deal. Both versions look pretty equal in their presentation.

While I haven't found anything resembling those screenshots (360 version), bear in mind the game seems to have a fairly agressive LOD, if this is something introduced with AnvilNext or it's just a consequence that the game has more open spaces and wide streets I cannot say. The game looks nice enough most of the time and on street level (although there is a certain amount of pop-in), but on a especially high building for example far off streets can appear to be a flat texture. The fact that the cities have wider streets also contribute to this being more evident. The forest areas on the homestead and frontier look great. Rich colours, deformable snow and wobbling tree branches on free run.

Regarding framerate I've only had one big slowdown, rest of the time the game has the typical AC framerate wobble. What they seem to have improved is the amount of tearing (I don't have the best eye for it though), in cutscenes I haven't noticed the amount of tearing that ACII/B/R had and gameplay seems to hold well. I reiterate, I'm not the best at seeing the tears, so someone more used to it might notice it better.

I'm not a fan of the redesigned control scheme: some jumps have to be manually triggered with A so I end up holding RT+A anyway and you can't drop-grab ledges like crazy anymore (or at least I don't have the upgrade, if there is one). Maybe I'm just to used to the puppeteer controls. The combat mechanics have abandoned the usual "RT blocks and X afterwards counters" to resemble more Rocksteady's Batman games.

All in all it's a decent game, but with only 6 hours invested it's too early to make a judgement.

Nope. Y is your secondary weapon use.

BTW, I got to play the game today. People should really stop posting any screens from the beginning of the game. They are HUGELY spoiler heavy, believe me.

Agreed. It was a nice surprise so going in clean is the best option.

vladdamad

Small question to those that have played the game, how spoilery are those three screenshots that have been posted? i mean, I still didn't see the face of the character in them, so I guess that surprise in the beginning of the game that people have mentioned hasn't been completely ruined for me, right?

Irish

sm fucking h. >=|

I figured they only did that in Revelations due to the sloppiness that goes with a short dev cycle. Hutchinson, you suck.

Doesn't make much sense to waste a face button on something that holds very little importance, meta control scheme or not.

Foshy

Thanks for that; I've always wanted to live in Switzerland
I need to practice my Schweizerdütsch
so obviously I'm not too happy to see such high prices for stuff!

The price here in Japan (where they don't generally break street date) might be the most ridiculous of all: the list price is Y7770, or about $98.00!

Of course, almost all stores have it for less than the list price:

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000398170/

...and typically, at brick-and-mortar stores, you can get another 10% back in points. In Japan, never pay list price!
Yeah, if you directly compare the price in swiss francs/yen with the US dollar, it sounds like a lot, but you also have to consider the economy and all that stuff. For example, new PS360 games in Italy are usually about 60€, which sounds worse to me than the 80 francs in Switzerland even though it's slightly less.

Prices have gotten MUCH better lately, too. Until last year, the usual price for new PS360 games was 100 francs.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh God, my Ubiworkshop Edition has been shipped! Excited! Jumped around like a kid for around 5 minutes heh. Specially since this is my first online-ordered game!

Those are not 360 shots. Those are from the Vita version, Liberation.

So the A and B buttons are photoshopped?

OmegaZero

Those are not 360 shots. Those are from the Vita version, Liberation.

They are not, Liberation runs at a much lower resolution, has a different HUD, and doesn't even have that character or location in the game.

EDIT: To quote myself from earlier:
Nope.

Someone just decided to take screenshots in a poor place. I'm sure the city sections look much better.

Obviously two different games.

SRTtoZ

So does anyone know which version to get? 360 or PS3? Yes I have a gaming PC but I am not waiting longer than I have to.

edit: after seeing those shots ill take my chances on the PS3 version.

They're not, Vita version has a different interface and generally looks entirely different than that.

So the A and B buttons are photoshopped?

They are not, Liberation runs at a much lower resolution, has a different HUD, and doesn't even have that character or location in the game.

Sorry guys, I was sure I saw those screens in the Vita version of the thread. I was totally off. :(

Tess3ract

Banned

Nope.

Someone just decided to take screenshots in a poor place. I'm sure the city sections look much better.

Vita > 360 obviously. Check the screens.
I just came here to say this, holy fuck lmao

mjc

So does anyone know which version to get? 360 or PS3? Yes I have a gaming PC but I am not waiting longer than I have to.

Whatever one you want. Seriously.

Holy hell are those seriously 360 shots? No way. That looks terrible.
Ugh..

Quote from Vinterbird (who has the game) from the last page,

I'll say it again:

The 360 version does not look like that. Sure, he found a area that did not recieve the maximum attention of the art team, but you can do that "look at how ugly" trick with most games, especially open world ones.

The game looks fine, even great at some points.

These days it just comes down to which controller you prefer and if you like achievements or trophies. Graphical differences have become negligible on consoles.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there no one else who has the game early, knows what area this is and can debunk those screens?

I mean come on now. Image says more than 1000 words people, let's go.

Irish

It does to me. After doing it in the first three, they should have continued. Arbitrary changes suck.

Its not an arbitrary change though. Keeping a button pretty much useless for 98% of a game when you're adding in a whole lot of new features would be arbitrary. It's better for that button to actually have something the player can use mapped to it. Especially when you already had another button for lock-on (which would be a head related task) that was used about as frequently as the Synchronize button (which is essentially the only use for the Head button when you already had a different interaction button). With Circle/B being the interact button for a ton of other things, it only made sense to further that and to move eagle sense over to a less necessary controller area. Opening up Triangle/Y for a combat button only makes sense considering the amount of killing options available to the player at this point in the series.

It does to me. After doing it in the first three, they should have continued. Arbitrary changes suck.

For the updated combat it ends up working out I think. I think you will have less of a problem with when you play the game. I think what was wrong with Revelations is that it was so similar control wise to previous games, why the heck did they just change one little thing? AC3 combat is really different, B/O to counter enemies attacks, then A/X for breaking an enemies defense or disarm if you are just using your fists. Y/triangle is whatever you have as your secondary weapon. You can alternate between all these in the flow of combat. Hell, you can even use the bow to counter an enemies attack. It is really impressing me.

Amir0x

Banned
Most interested to hear if the Wilderness is as fucking god awfully boring as the countryside in all the other AC games. If they can manage to not make the huge expanses of nothingness boring, I'll be completely on board. Of course I am forced to be on board due to my love of Revolutionary War history either way, because I have to see how they molest early American figures and events. But still!

Muffdraul

For the updated combat it ends up working out I think. I think you will have less of a problem with when you play the game. I think what was wrong with Revelations is that it was so similar control wise to previous games, why the heck did they just change one little thing? AC3 combat is really different, B/O to counter enemies attacks, then A/X for breaking an enemies defense or disarm if you are just using your fists. Y/triangle is whatever you have as your secondary weapon. You can alternate between all these in the flow of combat. Hell, you can even use the bow to counter an enemies attack. It is really impressing me.

It's not really a big deal, just midly irksome and niggling. I barely even noticed it even in Revelations. AC3 does sound totally rad... stop making me want it more than I already did. Which was already more than it's possible to humanly want something!

Its not an arbitrary change though. Keeping a button pretty much useless for 98% of a game when you're adding in a whole lot of new features would be arbitrary. It's better for that button to actually have something the player can use mapped to it. Especially when you already had another button for lock-on (which would be a head related task) that was used about as frequently as the Synchronize button (which is essentially the only use for the Head button when you already had a different interaction button). With Circle/B being the interact button for a ton of other things, it only made sense to further that and to move eagle sense over to a less necessary controller area. Opening up Triangle/Y for a combat button only makes sense considering the amount of killing options available to the player at this point in the series.

Circle/B wasn't "Interact". It was "use your hand". To open a door, to hit a swtich, to sign the lease on a shut down storefront, loot a body, to throw a knife, whatever. Look, you're not going to convince me to be happy that they abandoned the puppeteering thing, which I always valued as a cool little AC trademark. Give it up.

So the Benedict Arnold missions are PS3 exclusive.. Well thats fucking bullshit.

This whole platform exclusive DLC is a joke. They really think im gonna go pick up a PS3 just to get this extra content? Absolutely not. Do i want it? Fucking right i do.

All this platform exclusive bullshit does in piss off the consumer in the long run.

Top Bottom