• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Just watched a playthrough of the Lost Archive DLC on Youtube. Wow, I am so glad I didn't spend money on that. I hated the first-person platforming segments in Revelations and the entire DLC consists of first-person platforming segments. I do hope they bring up her death in game III though - most people aren't going to watch/play that DLC, so I can imagine a lot of annoyance and confusion if the game just completely ignores the issue.

I need more impressions.
Played about 2 hours. It's okay.

Combat is average. Melee isn't as good as Sleeping Dogs, shooting not as good as RDR.
Climbing seems worse than AC2-Rev; way more streamlined, hold RT-Up to get everywhere. Setting is good; atmospheric enough just kind of bland.

I don't know, it's just pretty boring so far.

Oh I forgot, as mentioned - the intro video is AWFUL

GrizzNKev

Banned

Combat is average. Melee isn't as good as Sleeping Dogs, shooting not as good as RDR.
Climbing seems worse than AC2-Rev; way more streamlined, hold RT-Up to get everywhere. Setting is good; atmospheric enough just kind of bland.

What, you don't like chimpanzee Desmond?

Reposting for those who are asking about Lucy.

Here are the transcripts of what was revealed in The Lost Archive:

Subject 16 discovers this recording while hacking into the Abstergo mainframe.

Warren: Lucy, this is where your background comes into play. If our experiments with Desmond in the Animus aren't going well, you will remove him from Abstergo. Take him somewhere he will feel comfortable divulging his secrets. Your Assassins should do the trick. Since Desmond will be reading our emails, we will ensure that secret communications between you and the Assassins go through unimpeded. Once you are imbedded, I will come to pick up the Animus tapes. Make sure you look very upset. You need to be convincing. Desmond will lead you to the Apple and then you bring it right to us. We're counting on you, Lucy. You have served the Templar Order well, and we never forget loyalty. Oh, yes. Once inside their hideout, perhaps you might ask the Assassins why they left you alone for so many years.

He then gets this email from Lucy:

07/2012

Clay,

I've seen the security records from last night. You must want an explanation. I had hoped to tell you about it little by little, to get you on my side, but it's too late now.

William is using us. In this war. In this war against the Templars, he doesn't think about the lives he's hurting. We aren't people to him. How can we trust someone like that? Clay, you of all people should understand.

Abstergo cares about helping people. They understand the realities of the world, its limitations.

But I know that nothing I can say now will really change your mind.

I've deleted the security records. Vidic will never discover the breach. I promised to protect you, but I can't let you leave. William and the others must never know.

I'm sorry.

-Lucy

No one holds up deus ex for its story.

edit: On AC, the story is terribly written for sure but I am interested in seeing how it ends. I don't need something to be great to follow along.

Good point.

As I said, AC is very much like Lost: after a very sober first season, it became flabby and confusingly told and the writers have no idea what they're doing, but it's still interesting just to see what kind of wacky shit they'll come up with.

Wait, I thought I had read that before he left Ubi, Patrice Désilets had written a AC bible that included the outline to how the "trilogy" would end.

I don't think AC has yet reached that point Lost reached in s2/3 where it was clearly getting out of the writers' hands. It's close, but I could still see them reigning it in. We'll see.

Lucy's motivations make no sense. If she was with the Templars why would she have helped Desmond to break out of Abstergo Industries (killing people in the process), as well as giving Desmond a hidden blade.

Er, while the plot point may or may not be a good decision for the story (hard to say until it's done), what you're describing is a classic double agent move if the goal is infiltration. edit-deleted for a less recent example.
The Departed does the exact same thing.
People seriously got invested in the story?? The story is so bad its like a cheesy parody. Seriously how the fuck can anyone make sense of that wacky ass shit? First game was straight forward enough i guess, then the writers began taking acid on their lunchbreaks.
The end of the first game when the Apple is activated and the eagle-vision stuff in Abstergo is batshit insane given what had happened so far. I get more confused that people can be confused by the overarching story. I can understand not liking it or thinking it's silly (I like it but think it's silly), but it's a pretty straightforward story in the telling, just doled out extremely slowly.

cackhyena

When hasn't that been the case with the series.

cackhyena

How? It was always press two buttons to climb. The only way it gets worse is if it sends you in more directions you didn't intend more often than it did previously.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How? It was always press two buttons to climb. The only way it gets worse is if it sends you in more directions you didn't intend more often than it did previously.

I think they changed it so you don't need to hold RT + A now, but that seems fine to me.

Freestyle running is way more loose than before, to get up most lookouts so far you hold up and RT that's it. It climbs itself basically. Whatever, I'm not going to get into semantics and argue. From what I've played of AC3, AC2 felt much more tactile and far less automated.

Hey look, 2 hours in and I get a "follow these guys closely" tutorial. I'm really glad we're still getting these 5 games in....

cackhyena

Freestyle running is way more loose than before, to get up most lookouts so far you hold up and RT that's it. It climbs itself basically. Whatever, I'm not going to get into semantics and argue. From what I've played of AC3, AC2 felt much more tactile and far less automated.

Hey look, 2 hours in and I get a "follow these guys closely" tutorial. I'm really glad we're still getting these 5 games in....
If it makes mon...I mean if it ain't brok...I mean...shit.

I actually like the idea of a more fluid climbing system. Aside from a few areas in AC2, it was never really about precise puzzle climbing, more just the fact that the environment was more complex and vertical. Moving around with speed sounds cool. We'll see I guess.

fernoca

Didn't the Lucy stuff end up the way it is due to Kristen Bell not wanting to continue?
It hasn't been confirmed. Some say she wanted to focus on movies, while others say she wanted to return.

Notice also, how not only her character was killed in Brotherhood (and the the story changed to make her look like she was with Anstergo); but that Brotherhood was also the last game that used Francisco Randez' face as model for the main character/Desmond.

Which kinda goes with the "3 games contract rumor". So..who knows. :p

In any case, can't wait...
WAIT!!
I'm getting it at Gamestop, is it confirmed that the cover says all the "GameStop Edition" thing; or is a slip...or sticker?
Getting it there anyway; along Liberation.

conman

Wait, I thought I had read that before he left Ubi, Patrice Désilets had written a AC bible that included the outline to how the "trilogy" would end.
The actual story is set. And it's great. What I think people are harping on are the details.

IMO, the first game is still the best story-wise. But the subsequent games haven't strayed too far from the source material. It's been consistent the whole way through in terms of the overall arc. It's just that the detours and side stories have been a bit silly. But overall, the central storyline is still intact and still fantastic.

As I and others have said, if the first game is like Umberto Eco or Philip K. Dick, the subsequent games have been like Dan Brown trying to complete an unfinished novel by one of those two authors. You can see the brilliance beneath the hack job. And thankfully, the broad strokes have remained intact. Also, the core themes and interests have remained consistent throughout, as well. All things considered, they've done a remarkable job at staying faithful to the original material. It may not be as awe-inspiring as it could have been, but it's still impressive.

I don't have the best capture for pictures apparently but here ya go.

M2MVel.jpg

aJimHl.jpg

Ftqh8l.jpg

NBg5Xl.jpg

rXBuVl.jpg

Eideka

Banned
To no one's surprise it looks very good. But I fail to see a significant gap between this and the previous AC on consoles.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
To no one's surprise it looks very good. But I fail to see a significant gap between this and the previous AC on consoles.

I didn't think there would be. I thought they always touted this engine how the massive amount of models it can render at once.

I'll admit so far its not as visually updated that I thought it would be, but the style and atmosphere of the setting is vastly different and I really appreciate that. I did notice a lot of pop in and texture draw in though. It's not going to kill the game but its definitely apparent.

They're saving Paris for next year's AC.

I think it's going to be UK.

Man, the secondary objetives are awesome and sometimes hard to pull, love it. Played so far 5-6 hours, and I'm still in the so called tutorial, at first was a big surprise but I want to finish it already to move on into the meaty stuff.

NBtoaster

The major improvements are supposed to be the animations and the number of characters shown on screen.

They also have SSAO at all times in game now, not just in some cutscenes and the starting areas. And in the video above there's no screen tearing on PS3. Though the framerate isn't great, far away stuff is very low detail, and the water doesn't reflect anything anymore.

JimFear

Banned
ive got a question about assassin creed revelation

its highly spoilerific

at the end when everything is destroyed are we seeing "those who were there before"?

one_kill

How so? looks great to me
There was a part when the player wanted to climb a window but couldn't. He/she was able to do it to the window next to it. When I saw him/her get on that particular window, I wanted him/her to go back to the one he/she tried just to see if it works.

Another part was when the player wanted to get on a pole sticking out of a building. He/she couldn't get on it by going straight on (i.e., towards the tip of the pole). However, he/she was able to get on it by going at an angle.

Not exactly "free" to me.

Mindblown at what came after sequence 3.

Yup. It's a great twist, and I am so happy they never revealed it.

Also fuck Ubisoft for their constant fucking tease about Adam and Eve, and what they started in the world of AC. I really really hope they do that story arc for the next set of consoles, and do a prequel series.

Ok, this slow opening is way slower than any previous game in the series.

I find it fun one second and then realize I'm stuck in a tutorial. It's understandable I guess, I mean this may be a jumping point for a lot of people but I just want to get into the meat of it.

UK-GAF! It may be worth checking your local Sainsbury's. My local branch had the game out on the shelf priced up and ready to buy. I didn't try and buy it because I'm not getting the game but I have no doubt if I went to the till, they wouldn't have noticed their error. I think the guys who sort out their gaming assortment have no clue :p.

I'll snap a pic tomorrow when I'm in there.

Found it.

I'm already weary of getting a new AC game and these impressions are not helping. I did have hopes it would be some sort of a leap.

Top Bottom