• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Very interesting article (not really a review) in the non-gaming press about ACIII, saying it's actually one of the most realistic depictions of Revolutionary War times from any entertainment media:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/gaming/2012/10/assassin_s_creed_iii_is_a_thrilling_hyperdetailed_journey_to_the_colonial.html

As someone who hasn't followed this game at all, this article definitely piqued my interest.

"We spent a lot of time telling the art director, ‘Everything's brown,’ and he would say, ‘But everything was brown.’ "

Thanks for the link. Very funny. Well, at least there will be hunting. Will Connor get a base he can fix up too, a la Ezio's estate?

Collider

Banned
Also, Can someone pinpoint me why theres so much hatred of AC franchise story?
I found it very good and its one of the reason I love it. Though, free running is the part which made me buy AC1.

So far my impressions are pretty good. Yes there is some pop in and stutter, but still game is pretty sweet looking and love the environment and setting. AC fans will love it and some of the colors are a bit muted even though my capture device is decent with video but apparently not with screenshots. Also for someone asking, yes there is lot of horses around. Some areas look really good, some areas don't, like some of those other screen shots going around. Don't worry.

Some nice impressions so far. Trying to avoid streams, but I may have to pop in and watch at least a little bit.

I've been watching a little of the archive from one of the streams linked above, just open world gameplay, nothing story related. The climbing looks a bit faster and more fluid, but that's something you have to feel rather than watch. The combat so far looked... well, not great. Looks a lot like the previous games where you quickly go from just hitting people with a sword to butchering everyone with a kill streak with no middle ground.

More than anything though, I'm excited to have a new character with a new story and setting. Hopefully they execute it with as much panache as they did with Ezio's early years.

GQman2121

Banned
Also, Can someone pinpoint me why theres so much hatred of AC franchise story?
I found it very good and its one of the reason I love it. Though, free running is the part which made me buy AC1.

It should be Templars & Assassins in time. That's it.

All of the Desmond stuff is ridiculous and only slow the games down. Basically, the Animus is a dumb idea.

Yeah, but you would only know that for the Revelations DLC

I still can't believe they kept Lost Archive, with its actual story material, for DLC, while putting in the utterly pointless Desmond fps segments in the game proper. All those revealed were extremely basic and unimportant points of backstory that anybody with a brain had already assumed.

ironcreed

Banned
I've been watching a little of the archive from one of the streams linked above, just open world gameplay, nothing story related. The climbing looks a bit faster and more fluid, but that's something you have to feel rather than watch. The combat so far looked... well, not great. Looks a lot like the previous games where you quickly go from just hitting people with a sword to butchering everyone with a kill streak with no middle ground.

More than anything though, I'm excited to have a new character with a new story and setting. Hopefully they execute it with as much panache as they did with Ezio's early years.

Hm, I am just going to have to make the call for myself come Tuesday, though I like what I have seen for the most part. Can do without the hunting quick time events and mini-games, but like you, I think the new setting and character will do it for me on the whole.

And finished, watching credits roll now.

AC4 (or if they do a Brotherhood like expansion next year) is going to be so interesting. There's a lot of potential for new concepts with where they take the story.

Wix

Couple of questions for those who have the game already:

1. Is the navy part open world? Can you free roam the seas at any time?

2. Are there horses in the game? I haven´t seen them in a single trailer or preview.

3. Are there more stealth missions than AC Rev?

Yes
Yes
Can't say since i havent played all the missions.

excited to hear you can free roam with your boat. This is shaping up quite nicely, really excited for Wednesday :)

you can?! to what extent? can you sail far away into open seas? maybe find islands? can you jump for a swim? :O

i wanna be a pirate!

keltickennedy will have to answer that, all I got was a simple yes :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Dat pop in.

I really hope the PC version's draw distance is better

Yeah that's my main issue right now, while the game remains playable at all times, the new Anvil Next engine clearly struggles to keep up on my 360 version. Pop-in, shadow resolution, aliasing, it's all there. Not as bad as AC1, mind you, but still I can't count the number of times I was wishing to be playing the PC version since I started the game.
The PC version should be quite spectacular, for sure.

9 hours in now, barely starting with the meat of the story...

Collider

Banned
It should be Templars & Assassins in time. That's it.

All of the Desmond stuff is ridiculous and only slow the games down. Basically, the Animus is a dumb idea.

It clearly does not to me, the story simply isn't compelling in my eyes. It lacks depth and shrewdness.

The character of Ezio is really interesting though, unlike the others.

Looks, like different brains, different likeness. But GAF is the only place where I have seen this much hatred.

Nice. How long did it take, if you don't mind my asking?

Ingame clock says I spent around 11 hours and 20 minutes, which is 36% of the game, ith me going only main story and skipping everything related to side content.

But from what I can see there is some new post credits (which I think are longer then any game I've played recently) content that is still story relevant to do.

Linkified

I'm loving this game.

It's a slow burner, no set piece after set piece, character development is great, twists are there since the beginning,controls are MUUUCH improved, animations are breathtaking and graphics are oh so beautiful, they don¿t translate too well in screenshots but believe me they are great (THAT IQ).
Also, OMG it's, at least, a STEALTH GAME, some mechanics from 1 return (MUCH improved) and missions have abigger emphasis on stealth than ever, it helps that the enviroments are so well designed it never feels like it's the game cheating (so far).

Bad stuff? The tutorial overlasts its welcome. But with the refinenemnt in the mechanics you can forgive it, at the end you know that GREAT stuff is coming down the line.

AC haters, give this oe a try, it's worth it.
AC fans, prepare your bodies.

This disappoints me and I almost wish I didn't preorder it it seems like they went back to the original to much. People told me that AC 2 was better because there was less stealth and I enjoyed the hell out of it - I hope this stealth is optional at least.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The only good story was AC1. The whole animus thing was handled in a more interesting fashion, and the Apple/artifacts were just a subtle part of the story. Should have remained this way.

AC games should be first and foremost about the eras in which the games take place, with no more than 5% of the story actually about ancient-civilization mystery.

When the mythology becomes so complex, a lot of people tune out because they can't keep up. It's like what Square did with FFVII' spinoffs.

ironcreed

Banned
Ingame clock says I spent around 11 hours and 20 minutes, which is 36% of the game, ith me going only main story and skipping everything related to side content.

But from what I can see there is some new post credits (which I think are longer then any game I've played recently) content that is still story relevant to do.

Reasonable for just the main story. Plenty to do on the side will add to that nicely, as usual. Thank you.

Ahasverus

This disappoints me and I almost wish I didn't preorder it it seems like they went back to the original to much. People told me that AC 2 was better because there was less stealth and I enjoyed the hell out of it - I hope this stealth is optional at least.
Don't worry, it's not rigid stealth, and when required you have a pretty big window of time to go into hiding again and stages are very forgiving with plenty of safe spots and such. But yeah this time you feel like an assassin and not Rambo on dress.

CrazyDude

Also, keep in mind that there is also a whole ship sub story as well.

Irish

The only part of the story that pops up in my mind when thinking about the AC series is the stuff in the past, which is pretty fucking good for any entertainment medium. I'd say there is better character development there than there is in hundreds of different book series. Of course, I leave out the completely batshit insane stuff from the present day.

It's really a weird balance: Really good in the past (better than a lot of other stories) and then complete garbage in the present. I tend to focus on the places where it is good while most critics often cite the present stuff and consider that the only real part of AC's story.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
And finished, watching credits roll now.

AC4 (or if they do a Brotherhood like expansion next year) is going to be so interesting. There's a lot of potential for new concepts with where they take the story.

so, is the game truly neutral as they're promoting it?

A for Chap 7, neutral. No mention of america liberty and that suff, 100% assassins vs templars.

This. If anything it's anti America at some points. Shawn at least is very critical of all the founding fathers stuff.

Also when someone else finishes the game, I would love to talk to someone about it, I think the game bugged out from revealing some post-credit stuff for me.

Amir0x

Banned
even so, how the heck would you portray the Revolutionary War neutrally as it relates to both sides? I guess you could expose the war crimes on either side, which did exist, but one side clearly had the just cause, and the other side was clearly run by an insane mad King who was hellbent on not seeing reason and abusing the colonies.

even so, how the heck would you portray the Revolutionary War neutrally as it relates to both sides? I guess you could expose the war crimes on either side, which did exist, but one side clearly had the just cause, and the other side was clearly run by an insane mad King who was hellbent on not seeing reason and abusing the colonies.

As someone who doesn't know anything about American history, I just saw Connor stab a lot of dudes, and hey that's someone named Washington, now back to stabbing dudes.

The game keeps the history stuff separated from the Templar stuff in a way I never felt the war part was actually relevant to the story, it was just a backdrop for killing Templars.

Amir0x

Banned
As someone who doesn't know anything about American history, I just saw Connor stab a lot of dudes, and hey that's someone named Washington, now back to stabbing dudes.

The game keeps the history stuff separated from the Templar stuff in a way I never felt the war part was actually relevant to the story, it was just a backdrop for killing Templars.

that's actually highly disappointing to me personally, as the only thing that interests me about the story/setting is the American Revolutionary war stuff. I always tune out the Assassin's vs. Templar garbage. I thought the Ezio Saga did a good job of mixing it up. This integrates historical events/people more poorly than that?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

hm, never trust anything you read about George III. Every single historical book will tell you a different tale

as for your question, maybe they did the right thing with this game. Connor witnessing the events while carrying on his personal quest

that's actually highly disappointing to me personally, as the only thing that interests me about the story/setting is the American Revolutionary war stuff. I always tune out the Assassin's vs. Templar garbage. I thought the Ezio Saga did a good job of mixing it up. This integrates historical events/people more poorly than that?

I think it handles it in the same way that AC2 did, but since I really don't know much about it, it's hard to say how much they actually blend Templar and real history. But the story mainly revolves around Connor going on a revenge tour throughout the country, and the key to get to his goal is being involved with Washington and his gang, and that's how to blend in the historical stuff.

Every now and then the real people will interact with the fictional Templars, but mainly in the context of the political war, and not painting them as indoctrinating them or otherwise making them stand out as evil people.

Top Bottom