• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This game is even easier, combat wise. You are just a whirlwind of murder. I guess that wishy theyhave missions where you can't be detected or kill anyone.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ok, this slow opening is way slower than any previous game in the series.

I find it fun one second and then realize I'm stuck in a tutorial. It's understandable I guess, I mean this may be a jumping point for a lot of people but I just want to get into the meat of it.

Even slower? Goddamnit. O well, as long as it serves a narrative purpose, I guess..

To no one's surprise it looks very good. But I fail to see a significant gap between this and the previous AC on consoles.

I didn't expect a massive leap during gameplay as AC Revelations looked pretty damn good and really pushed the hardware but many of the faces do look a LOT better and they are doing more things in the engine (weather/deformable snow, variable animations depending on elevation and snow level, animals, navy battles, 1000s of characters on screen). I played the navy battles and I thought that whole thing was super impressive because they were able to throw in the dynamic water and still keep the quality of the game looking as good as ever.

Wix

Couple of questions for those who have the game already:

1. Is the navy part open world? Can you free roam the seas at any time?

2. Are there horses in the game? I haven´t seen them in a single trailer or preview.

3. Are there more stealth missions than AC Rev?

iNvid02

storywise ac1 was great, boatloads of potential. but the whole sci-fi trilogy cliffhanger hurt the games overall, shame because ezio's story itself is great

also, connor seems like a pretty serious dude, and desmond looks like his new egg head is weighing him down too much to be his usual douchey, but kinda funny self.

i hope there is some humor in here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsv3ZSqdHLg

Is it me or is the color a bit more muted then other AC's?

Yeah... seems a bit bland to me.

I was going to say the same thing, it looks a bit too misty and bland looking compared to Liberation which seems to have nice colours.

To me it looks like people have shitty capture cards and are taking captures that make the game look bad. I've played the game at FanExpo and its much more vibrant.

Derrick01

Banned
This game is even easier, combat wise. You are just a whirlwind of murder. I guess that wishy theyhave missions where you can't be detected or kill anyone.

They were supposed to make it a little harder. I guess I should have known better in an uber casual series like this.

Couple of questions for those who have the game already:

1. Is the navy part open world? Can you free roam the seas at any time?

2. Are there horses in the game? I haven´t seen them in a single trailer or preview.

3. Are there more stealth missions than AC Rev?

Yes
Yes
Can't say since i havent played all the missions.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I personally like the story in Assassin's Creed due to it's craziness and silliness, I can admit it's not very good.

Though, the story isn't really the main reason I play it ... I play it because it's super fun and the locations/settings are usually awesome, as well as the database information about the locations you visit in the games.

Man, the secondary objetives are awesome and sometimes hard to pull, love it. Played so far 5-6 hours, and I'm still in the so called tutorial, at first was a big surprise but I want to finish it already to move on into the meaty stuff.

Going for 100% sync is the best way of playing. Adds a nice challenge.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm about 5 hours in now, and it still seems like I'm only at the beginning. I'm taking my time (though not too much as I have to finish my review in time for tuesday), but damn there is a lot of stuff in this game.

I have a feeling that I won't be getting this game on time due to Hurricane Sandy. Some of the heaviest parts of the storm will be here just in time for the GameStop midnight opening. Oh well, I guess there are more important things than video games in life.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm about 5 hours in now, and it still seems like I'm only at the beginning. I'm taking my time (though not too much as I have to finish my review in time for tuesday), but damn there is a lot of stuff in this game.

Are you allowed to talk about it a bit more or are you under an embargo?

Nemesis_

Can anyone just vaguely answer if this is going to be the end of this story line? Or are we going to be looking at more sequels?

I realise some might not know this yet but I also know that some people have had the game for a while now so I thought I might as well ask. :)

Can anyone just vaguely answer if this is going to be the end of this story line? Or are we going to be looking at more sequels?

I realise some might not know this yet but I also know that some people have had the game for a while now so I thought I might as well ask. :)

Even if they do finish the story, there will still be more sequels. The AC franchise has been steady, annual income for Ubisoft and they aren't just going to drop it.

Has anyone playing used the auto-crouch stuff? How does it feel? Is it useful? Clunky? I suppose it's better than not having a crouch walk at all.

SJRB

Gold Member
Has anyone playing used the auto-crouch stuff? How does it feel? Is it useful? Clunky? I suppose it's better than not having a crouch walk at all.

I'm pretty sure the crouch is only available in highly specific areas like certain patches of tall grass. You still can't truly crouch-walk like in mgs4/splinter cell.

I'm pretty sure the crouch is only available in highly specific areas like certain patches of tall grass. You still can't truly crouch-walk like in mgs4/splinter cell.

Ahh ok, man that's disappointing. I knew about it being automated and not manually controlled, but limited to certain missions or areas seems lame.

That's extremely disappointing. I've always felt that AC could benefit from some proper stealth mechanics like crouch and cover. Seems so strange to play as an assassin that can't do these elementary things when the player asks.

SJRB

Gold Member
Someone is streaming the 360 version right now at the usual place. Not sure how active Ubisoft ninjas are so I won't give a url.

Remember those annoying beggars from AC and AC2? Well not only are they back, they're children this time around.

Someone is streaming the 360 version right now at the usual place. Not sure how active Ubisoft ninjas are so I won't give a url.

Remember those annoying beggars from AC and AC2? Well not only are they back, they're children this time around.

I used to find those beggars hilarious when randomly attack them

Ahasverus

I'm loving this game.

It's a slow burner, no set piece after set piece, character development is great, twists are there since the beginning,controls are MUUUCH improved, animations are breathtaking and graphics are oh so beautiful, they don¿t translate too well in screenshots but believe me they are great (THAT IQ).
Also, OMG it's, at least, a STEALTH GAME, some mechanics from 1 return (MUCH improved) and missions have abigger emphasis on stealth than ever, it helps that the enviroments are so well designed it never feels like it's the game cheating (so far).

Bad stuff? The tutorial overlasts its welcome. But with the refinenemnt in the mechanics you can forgive it, at the end you know that GREAT stuff is coming down the line.

AC haters, give this oe a try, it's worth it.
AC fans, prepare your bodies.

edit: GAF cynism made me lol
This is a great game, shadows are NOT atrocious and mechanically is much improved from the past ones. It seems that gaffers have the formula for the perfect game, omg you should take the industry by storm o' omnipotent beings! -__-

edit2: Also, don't fear, the Boston part is somethat color muted but then you go to the forest and it's great. Snow effects are awesome too. Lighting is a big improvement and it's part of what makes the wr¿orld come alive. Seasons changes are very well made, facial expressions are better than ever, eyes are the best in any game EVER, and of course the new anti aliasing is almost magic.

KAOz

Short bus special
Friend of mine got the game early (Ps3-version), and I asked him to look at this thread and those 360-screens.
He then explained to me how that specific area looks just as bad on the Ps3-version, and mailed me some off-screen pictures of it. That area is horrific.

But, it apperantly looks much better at other places. Pop-in is atrocious though. If you stand at the bottom of that hill in the screenshots, you can't see the grass on top of it.

Wix

Also, OMG it's, at least, a STEALTH GAME, some mechanics from 1 return (MUCH improved) and missions have abigger emphasis on stealth than ever, it helps that the enviroments are so well designed it never feels like it's the game cheating (so far).

At last indeed! Thanks whoever brought it back!

Also, excited to hear you can free roam with your boat. This is shaping up quite nicely, really excited for Wednesday :)

At last indeed! Thanks whoever brought it back!

Also, excited to hear you can free roam with your boat. This is shaping up quite nicely, really excited for Wednesday :)

you can?! to what extent? can you sail far away into open seas? maybe find islands? can you jump for a swim? :O

i wanna be a pirate!

Assassin's Creed II competes with Uncharted 2 as my most immersive gaming experience this generation. Can't wait!

Loved AC2
rather wish I didn't have to box with the pope in an alien spaceship, hidden in the Vatican for the last boss fight though
and I think this game might live up to it. Can't wait too.

I still haven't found direct confirmation from Ubisoft that "The Tyranny of King George" DLC will be on the PC. If you look at the announcement of the DLC on the official site, it says it is coming out for the 360 and PS3, with no mention of PC. But, you can preorder the DLC for PC from GameStop, and several previews of the DLC mention it will be available on PC. That is nice and all, but again, Ubisoft themselves have never confirmed that it will be available on PC. Someone please prove me wrong.

Top Bottom