• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Derrick01

Banned
I really don't see why anyone would expect this to be a 100% new style of game. It's Assassin's Creed, and it should play like Assassin's Creed for the most part. Obviously, there will be new stuff and should be improvements all around, but the core gameplay should not be changed. I mean, it wouldn't really be an AC game at that point.

No one expected a drastic shift like AC 1 to 2, but I at least expected more than what seems to be a game that is somewhere between a full sequel and an expansion as far as new and unique content goes. They've had 3 years to come up with a lot of new stuff.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yes! I can't wait to have it in my hands! Ordered the Ubiworkshop edition, hopefully it arrives on time!

Vire

No one expected a drastic shift like AC 1 to 2, but I at least expected more than what seems to be a game that is somewhere between a full sequel and an expansion as far as new and unique content goes. They've had 3 years to come up with a lot of new stuff.

Hopefully the tree running stuff makes an impact and keeps things fresh. Mission variety and a coherent story are other aspects that could be improved upon for AC3. Some enhancements to the combat system would go a long way as well...

So I definitely think there are areas that can be improved for the AC franchise, whether they did or not. We'll see.

t-ramp

Brotherhood and Revelations introduced new locations, characters, and game mechanics. For 3 I'm just expecting this on a grander scale. On the whole I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but as long as it plays smoothly and has an engaging plot, that's good enough for me.

Squire

Banned

I did. That or something damn close. I expected it and never thought I was wrong to. They had three years. I mean come on.

BearPawB

Banned
I really don't see why anyone would expect this to be a 100% new style of game. It's Assassin's Creed, and it should play like Assassin's Creed for the most part. Obviously, there will be new stuff and should be improvements all around, but the core gameplay should not be changed. I mean, it wouldn't really be an AC game at that point.

I don't want a 100% new game, and I don't expect that. But after AC2, Brotherhood, and Rev, i have had my fill of that formula. They need to switch it up. Would anyone not be disappointed if it was just the same game for the fourth time but in a different location? I don't think asking for a bit of a shakeup is too much to ask.

I am very hopeful that the wilderness will be where the game shines the most.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm always surprised when GAF expects sequels to be drastically different. Sure, it happens, but it's a rarity.

It's still going to play like the original because it's still on the same console as the original. AC 1 was an incredibly ambitious idea, so it's not a surprise that the second one had the time to refine what they were going for and make it work. Arkham City played like Arkham Asylum. Halo Reach played like Halo 3 in terms of feel. InFamous 2 like InFamous 1. They looked better, but the kind of person who played the original could jump right into the next one.

I don't expect any major franchise changes until next generation and that could just be a grander scale. I don't know what the combat is like in AC 3, but I don't know what you could do to drastically change the sequel. The most you can do is refine. The things they added in Brotherhood were nice, but they hardly changed the game. Calling your homies was just a button that basically made Mercenaries appear. The Brotherhood missions might as well have been a flash game.

Besides, if they suddenly changed everything, we'd probably get a mess like Darksiders 2.

Derrick01

Banned
I did. That or something damn close. I expected it and never thought I was wrong to. They had three years. I mean come on.

There has been plenty of media that has shown that was basically going to follow the formula 2 set up with a lot of the side stuff the 2 expansions brought out. But yeah I did want more of a full ambitious sequel and it's hard to expect less when you've had 500+ people across 6+ studios working on this for 3 years on a new-ish engine. It's not like the expansions when they had a year or year and a half.

I guess I just thought there was a lot of new stuff that wasn't going to be revealed. In a way I'm kind of glad I can get the disappointment out of the way now before I play it a month from now. I'm pretty damn tired of every freakin game being disappointing though.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Not sure if to buy it now or wait a few weeks for potential sales.

Ass Cred Rev was $35 during Black Friday, was not even 2 weeks removed from release

Hell my copy had Ass Creed I on it, that "Limited Edition"

BF3 was $30, Batman Arkham City was $30

Most games get 40-50% off

Green Yoshi

The OT. Finally. :)

I hope Ubisoft will deliver my Freedom Edition in time. In Germany you can only order it at Gamestop and at the Ubisoft online shop. Amazon.de only offers the Join or Die Edition.

Are there already some reviews by print mags? I hope the M!Games this Thursday will have a review of the game.

Ass Cred Rev was $35 during Black Friday, was not even 2 weeks removed from release

Hell my copy had Ass Creed I on it, that "Limited Edition"

BF3 was $30, Batman Arkham City was $30

Most games get 40-50% off

Yes AC games are guaranteed to be real cheap during the holidays.

god damn do i ever want to see a ninja Assassin creed or samurai

ninja%2Bman%2Bcolor.jpg

tumblr_m8x1lhjvek1qim4m5o1_r2_1280.jpg

anyways its off topic

Bullza2o

Looking forward to Redbox it, borrow from my library, or buy it on Black Friday. This is the first Assassin's Creed that got my interest before launch.

rataven

That OP, I like it! Doesn't really spoil anything for the media blackout I've been under either, so it's much appreciated.

KingKong

man, fuck Ubisoft for pushing the PC release back 3 weeks. Did they even give any reason or is it typical Ubisoft bullshit?

Cheska

It's exciting to think we are so close to this release! I have next Tuesday off too so it's that much sweeter :D My main concern is that for once most of our questions will be answered by the end of the game, no more cliffhanger bullshit.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Apparently review code was very buggy, so hopefully that's fixed. I also hear it's very same-y. Lots of busywork still and somewhat muddled plot. Temper expectations accordingly.

As someone who even loved revelations (since I made sure to never have to do tower defense outside the tutuorial) sounds fantastic to me outside of bugs obviously.

Derrick01

Banned
man, fuck Ubisoft for pushing the PC release back 3 weeks. Did they even give any reason or is it typical Ubisoft bullshit?

1) It takes time to implement the 8000 types of DRM the game will have

2) They think it will prevent piracy. They also think unicorns exist.

3) They think people will cave and get the console versions instead. I don't know why some of these pubs think that because you'd think they make a higher profit margin on each PC game sold because you only pay the retailer their cut instead of on consoles where you pay the retailer, pay sony/ms, pay for shipping and manufacturing, pay for manuals (if the game has one) and cases etc etc.

FStop7

Banned
LETS SKIN SOME REDCOATS

Also, random assumption about the story

inb4 Washington is secretly a templar

There's already been some DLC announced regarding this. It's called "The Tyranny of King George" - take from that what you will.

Top Bottom