• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Without getting into any kind of spoiler territory (I know lots of people have not played Revelations for some reason), do you guys think they are actually going to give us any kind of satisfactory story resolution at the end of 3, or is it just going to be the means of setting up yet another entry into the franchise?

Either way, I can not wait to dig into this. IMHO, every game in that franchise has improved on the previous game, and at this point, this is either going to straight up be GOTY material, or the one where it all comes crashing down.

MrDaravon

Hadn't been keeping up with this at all because I didn't think I was going to have time for it on it's release, but that doesn't appear to be an issue right now. Just jumped on the Encyclopedia bundle version of it on Amazon, I'm a complete sucker for the story and lore in the series, and I never got the first edition of it so I'm looking forward to it. I just really hope it's an improvement over Revelations; that game was mostly filler, and they could have made it a lot better with just a few simple changes like taking out the tower defense, or cut out some of the inane micromanagement like having to constantly retake cities you have at 100% in the international minigame thing because you can't "lock" them for some stupid reason. I like micromanagement, but that was just stupid. I am looking forward to hopefully getting some more general impressions before launch though, after Revelations I'm a bit wary, and would like the option to cancel my pre-order if needed.

At this point though I can deal with mechanical bullshit like in Revelations if we at least get some great story shit, which Revelations severely lacked IMO.

nib95

Banned
Looks amazing, though a part of me wishes the new consoles were here already. Graphics look great, but still very similar to what's been before it. No noticeable departure in the visuals here. Luckily the gameplay is mixed up somewhat this time, and I love the new ship warfare element.

I like how one "reviewer" isn't digging it and some people are worried! I've really enjoyed all the game so far and this one looks to be just as fun and different then the others. Rest easy boys. I doubt it will disappoint that many of us.

MrDaravon

I like how one "reviewer" isn't digging it and some people are worried! I've really enjoyed all the game so far and this one looks to be just as fun and different then the others. Rest easy boys. I doubt it will disappoint that many of us.

Revelations man. Revelations was a bummer, at least to a lot of people. I know this is being made by the core team that did AC2 so I have a lot more confidence, but I'm not quite willing to go in 100% on faith this time like I did after 2 and Brotherhood. MAKE ME BELIEVE

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh my goodness. This OP isn't long enough. I demand 8 posts. Ah, I'm kidding. ;)

I am psyched. Finished the entire Ezio trilogy this year, watched Embers yesterday, and I'm eager to know what happens next. Juuuust not sure if I'm going to Day 1 this. Probably gonna get Liberation first, 3 when cheaper a week or two later.

Apparently review code was very buggy, so hopefully that's fixed. I also hear it's very same-y. Lots of busywork still and somewhat muddled plot. Temper expectations accordingly.
Hm. That's a shame.

Revelations man. Revelations was a bummer, at least to a lot of people. I know this is being made by the core team that did AC2 so I have a lot more confidence, but I'm not quite willing to go in 100% on faith this time like I did after 2 and Brotherhood. MAKE ME BELIEVE
Yeah. I struggled through Revelations. Not because of franchise fatigue or anything, but some design decisions were ones I did not like much and it ended up making the game rather unfun. Do not make town-building a chore again. -_-

The best things about Revelations to me were the ending scenes.

Yeah but these games were made a couple years apart and with the idea of being filler until 3 was done. As for Revelations, yes it has issues but still really enjoyed it. I think everything we have seen has shown the care and thought put into the third entry.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Been excited for the last week, can't wait! I have the freedom edition ordered from the Ubi store but I have a bad feeling that i'll get it a day or so after release day.

MYE

dealwithitftb0c.gif

I hope there is a way to keep the hood down all the time.

Hadn't been keeping up with this at all because I didn't think I was going to have time for it on it's release, but that doesn't appear to be an issue right now. Just jumped on the Encyclopedia bundle version of it on Amazon, I'm a complete sucker for the story and lore in the series, and I never got the first edition of it so I'm looking forward to it. I just really hope it's an improvement over Revelations; that game was mostly filler, and they could have made it a lot better with just a few simple changes like taking out the tower defense, or cut out some of the inane micromanagement like having to constantly retake cities you have at 100% in the international minigame thing because you can't "lock" them for some stupid reason. I like micromanagement, but that was just stupid. I am looking forward to hopefully getting some more general impressions before launch though, after Revelations I'm a bit wary, and would like the option to cancel my pre-order if needed.

At this point though I can deal with mechanical bullshit like in Revelations if we at least get some great story shit, which Revelations severely lacked IMO.

I think Revelations legitimately had the best Assassin story in the series (Ezio's story I mean). Most of your complaints...in fact all of them are just over optional missions/sidequests. You only ever have to do one Tower Defense segment. All of the micromanagment of assassins and property and all the "filler" are all optional things that you can absolutely choose to ignore, and, as with all of the games in the series, ignoring the sidequests can lead to a better understanding and certainly better pacing of the story. I wouldn't expect Assassins Creed 3 to have an less content than it's predecessors, in fact, I think there will be a lot more, so if that's not something that's appealing to you, I have a feeling this game might not be what you're looking for.

Stat!

I can't wait for this game. I won't be able to purchase it till December when it goes on sale but I absolutely loved AC1, II, Brotherhood, and Revelations and this looks even better.

I don't know if I could survive 2 months iwthout it. I just hope they start tying holes together with Desmond's plot and create a great world with Connor.

MrDaravon

Yeah but these games were made a couple years apart and with the idea of being filler until 3 was done. As for Revelations, yes it has issues but still really enjoyed it. I think everything we have seen has shown the care and thought put into the third entry.

I don't disagree, but after a number of poor sequels like the one in your avatar, DA2, ME3, etc I've become much more skeptical about games until they're out in the wild now. It's actually kind of sad, I buy very very few games day 1 now because I'm afraid. The fact that I was even willing to pre-order this after Revelations speaks to how much I love the overall series and fiction though, so I'm willing to meet them at least halfway.

Hyped beyond belief for this game. Love everything that I have seen so far. Went with the Wii U version so I have to wait a couple extra weeks, hope it's worth it. My GOTY for it to lose.

So this game looks absolutely amazing (nice OT), and everyone is all hyped for it, but:

How is the story/narrative going to be in this? I didn't finish Assassins Creed 2, and therefore found Brotherhood to be fairly hard to follow (and subsequently gave up on it quite early) and while Revelations has piqued my interest because of the setting, I've stayed away from it because I'm worried about my lack of plot knowledge ruining my enjoyment.

I know I could always skim through a wikipedia summary or something, but it never sticks like actually playing through something and I'm hoping that Assassins Creed 3 will be a bit of a fresh start in that regard, where I'll be able to get invested in the narrative without getting damn confused.

Shall I just pick up Revelations or something and run through that, or should I be fine considering this is the next numbered sequel as opposed to Assassins Creed 2's arc?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I sometimes forget that Conner has a hidden blade.

Seems like the tomahawk and bow are far more iconic for him.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Will buy!

In a few months (or less) for $30!

Irish

So this game looks absolutely amazing (nice OT), and everyone is all hyped for it, but:

How is the story/narrative going to be in this?

You should be fine going into this in regards to the story set in the past. Connor's story is self-contained, so you won't really need to fill in the gaps for that section. Now, the stuff with Desmond may be a little confusing for you though.

I don't disagree, but after a number of poor sequels like the one in your avatar, DA2, ME3, etc I've become much more skeptical about games until they're out in the wild now. It's actually kind of sad, I buy very very few games day 1 now because I'm afraid. The fact that I was even willing to pre-order this after Revelations speaks to how much I love the overall series and fiction though, so I'm willing to meet them at least halfway.

Well and to each their own. I can't really comment because I rather enjoyed all those games you mentioned. Were they the best games ever... nope. Though I get why your apprehensive. I don't ever go into a game expecting it to be an amazing experience though. I always try to keep hype to a minimal level. I eat the story up in the AC games so as long as I get some more of that and some closure, the rest is pretty gravy as long as they didn't fuck anything up to much, and so far for me none of the AC games are guilty of that imo.

You should be fine going into this in regards to the story set in the past. Connor's story is self-contained, so you won't really need to fill in the gaps for that section. Now, the stuff with Desmond may be a little confusing for you though.

Yeah, this is my worry with AC3 :/

Even Brotherhood was relatively simple to pick up in that regard, but as soon as it switched to Desmond I got confused, and that really ruined any incentive to play further.

I'm hoping that Ubi will include a decent summary video to enable new players to get involved in that regard, and they'd be pretty wise to considering that this is a massive blockbuster game.

Nice and sleek OT, perfect.

So how competent are the PC ports of the Assassin's Creed series? I've read about framerate drops in Revelations. The only recent Ubisoft ports I've played are Conviction (30 fps lock in multiplayer) and Driver San Francisco (no HDR), both of which used letterboxing for 16:10 resolutions. Let's hope for the best.

In any case, release can't come soon enough. It was time for another assassin, Connor better be up to par with Ezio and Altaïr. Here's hoping they close at least the 2012 arc and don't write themselves into a corner for the sequels.

CrazyDude

Without getting into any kind of spoiler territory (I know lots of people have not played Revelations for some reason), do you guys think they are actually going to give us any kind of satisfactory story resolution at the end of 3, or is it just going to be the means of setting up yet another entry into the franchise?

Either way, I can not wait to dig into this. IMHO, every game in that franchise has improved on the previous game, and at this point, this is either going to straight up be GOTY material, or the one where it all comes crashing down.

Maybe, either way, Desmond's story is ending in this one.

Muffdraul

Been counting the days since this was announced. Fuckin' love this franchise. Ironic considering how disinterested I was back when AC1 was in the preview stage. If the voice actress chick hadn't leaked that it was actually a futuristic sci-fi story, I might never have bothered.

Wix

BTW, what happened to Jade Raymond? Is she in any way still involved? Everyone are talking about Alex :/

FStop7

Banned
BTW, what happened to Jade Raymond? Is she in any way still involved? Everyone are talking about Alex :/

I don't think she's been on an AssCreed project since AC1, has she? I'm pretty sure she went to do I Am Alive and is now doing the new Splinter Cell game, but I could be mistaken.

I'm wondering more about Patrice Désilets. Did he go to THQ?

Yeah, to work on that sweet new Guillermo del Toro IP... whoops.

Have this pre ordered for day one digital on the ps3 store.

Haven't played an assassins creed game since the second, not a huge fan of the mechanics of the series. I was hoping they'd made enough changes to the gameplay and setting to make it interesting again, but apparently not? Wonder if I should cancel my pre order. I'll probably wait for more impressions

Top Bottom