• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So far I am having fun with the game but god damn it is Boston boring. The architecture just isn#t interesting or fun to climb around in. I want my elaborate European architecture back...

Have you ridden throughout the town on horseback yet in the winter?
It's gorgeous. And it really feels alive. (maybe I'm biased since I've been there a dozen times... but I absolutely love the feel of it in winter).

He cherry picked negative quotes. It also pre-empts those with

and stuff like

Basically sounds like it has niggling issues(like any AC game) but the sheer density of it can make it easier to overlook.

Fair enough, I didn't get the chance to read the full review which I will do soon.

It's gorgeous. And it really feels alive. (maybe I'm biased since I've been there a dozen times... but I absolutely love the feel of it in winter).

^ YES!

Also I know that some people will be off put by how different the town feels in comparison to the earlier ACs, but man I personally love the change of look and style. It feels so unique to be able to explore a world like this. What other game really offers you an open world historical colonial era to explore and on this sort of level?

Would your gamestop happen to be Burke Virginia? Cus added to everything I said about my Gamestop above, "not picking up the phone" can be included.

Hartsdale, NY. I walked down and they were actually open. Only 1 guy working, but only 1 customer too. He was busy, though. Got my games and I'm ready to play!

Amir0x

Banned
So far I am having fun with the game but god damn it is Boston boring. The architecture just isn#t interesting or fun to climb around in. I want my elaborate European architecture back...

hopefully we get an Assassin's Creed set in a more modern American so we can get back to interesting city traversal again

Zeliard

hopefully we get an Assassin's Creed set in a more modern American so we can get back to interesting city traversal again

Our disagreement on this point goes way back to AC3's original announcement, but immersing myself in the American Revolution backdrop is still by far the most interesting to me about this game, and largely the reason I'd play it.

Xater

It looking nice does not change the fact that so far running/climbing around in it is boring. I already long for the huge cathedrals of AC2.

Amir0x

Banned
Our disagreement on this point goes way back to AC3's original announcement, but immersing myself in the American Revolution backdrop is still by far the most interesting to me about this game, and largely the reason I'd play it.

I am probably one of the biggest Revolutionary War history buffs on neoGAF. Doesn't change the fact that these cities don't make for very interesting traversal gameplay. They're just much smaller in scale, streets are more separated, the layouts are less complex. It's simply not as compelling.

I am probably one of the biggest Revolutionary War history buffs on neoGAF. Doesn't change the fact that these cities don't make for very interesting traversal gameplay. They're just much smaller in scale, streets are more separated, the layouts are less complex. It's simply not as compelling.

While its completely different, some of the tree travesal and mountain climbing in the frontier can be quite fun. Yeah I don't expect everyone to like the more open stlye, yet at the same time I grew very tired of the same style of evenviroments in the previous entries over and over.

Played about an hour. This game's got insanely high production values. They probably had more people working on the menus alone than most other games have on their entire project.

At the same time, there are a lot of weird glitches and shit that shouldn't be there. In one of the cutscenes I had an NPC pop up inside the character I was talking to for a second. Pop-in generally is pretty bad. Otherwise, it looks beautiful. Boston feels really alive with all the cats and dogs and pigs and little kids running around.

The combat is really... strange. In the few battles I've fought I had no clue what was going on. Plays nothing like previous games. Not sure if it's a good thing yet.

Definitely feels deserving of the number in the title. Seems like nothing's been recycled here. Even the hay bales are completely redone. Overall I'm impressed so far.

At the same time, there are a lot of weird glitches and shit that shouldn't be there. In one of the cutscenes I had an NPC pop up inside the character I was talking to for a second. Pop-in generally is pretty bad. Otherwise, it looks beautiful. Boston feels really alive with all the cats and dogs and pigs and little kids running around.

This is where, imo the most visual glitches occur. My time in the frontier and other maps have been much better in my experience.

TheExodu5

Banned
Eurogamer on mechanics:

On comparison to previous entries:

On mini-games and bugs:

On story:

And yet:

This shit is parody.

I can nitpick about Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood all day, and yet they have been incredibly fun experiences for me. Sometimes the end product is more than the sum of its parts, and that's definitely the case for me when it comes to Assassin's Creed.

Nemesis_

While its completely different, some of the tree travesal and mountain climbing in the frontier can be quite fun. Yeah I don't expect everyone to like the more open stlye, yet at the same time I grew very tired of the same style of evenviroments in the previous entries over and over.

I have yet to play, but I found the environments in 2, Brotherhood and Revelations to all be unique.

Florence had this kind of thriving metropol feel to it.
Monteriggioni gave you the feel of a small village
Tuscany and it's countrside were just beautiful
Forli had this kind of quiet Shanty town feeling to it as well.
Venice, as you would expect, had this aristocratic upper class vibe to it.

All the locations that I can think of were quite different in their design (albeit still quite similar too, in a weird way. I guess you would expect that being the same country at all) but each location had a different vibe.

Whereas in AC1 they were all the same but with a different shade/hue. Which is one criticism I can easily level at the series.

Rome had a more developed feel and felt like a proper spin-off or expansion pack, and I somewhat understand any criticisms at the environments being too samey based off this one location. But it's fucking Rome! The Colliseum! The Sistine Chapel! Castel d'Angello (sp?). The locations within were all great and unique.

Revelations really mixed things up with Constantinople and Capadoccia, which were both environments that we really didn't see in previous games. One thing I did like about Constantinople is that it was a unique location that managed to blend locales, designs and inspirations from the first two game's locations (the middle east and italy) almost perfectly and it seemed liked a fitting send off to both franchises.

I just can't see it being as compelling as America could be. I have a sneaking suspicion that weather may make this seem like it's more alive and such (and are there animals too?) but I still remain skeptical.

As I said, haven't played it yet, but I thought I would drop my thoughts in. I will be playing it in less than twelve hours :)

I have yet to play, but I found the environments in 2, Brotherhood and Revelations to all be unique.

Florence had this kind of thriving metropol feel to it.
Monteriggioni gave you the feel of a small village
Tuscany and it's countrside were just beautiful
Forli had this kind of quiet Shanty town feeling to it as well.
Venice, as you would expect, had this aristocratic upper class vibe to it.

Well don't get me wrong, visually they looked pretty unique in style, I guess what I was trying to say is that they all had that cramped alleyways style, which I grew tired of. I like the more open feel of AC3. Again it is really going to boil down to people preference. I enjoy the series so I'm really only nitpicking them.

That review is totally correct. i've been bitching about the game since I got it yesterday covering most of those issues and I would still give it a 9/10 so far. It's tough when those little things take you out of the experience but the reason you care is because that experience is fucking great. I love the ships and setting and frontier and the little towns. Yeah it's got problems, but I love it right now.

That review is totally correct. i've been bitching about the game since I got it yesterday covering most of those issues and I would still give it a 9/10 so far. It's tough when those little things take you out of the experience but the reason you care is because that experience is fucking great. I love the ships and setting and frontier and the little towns. Yeah it's got problems, but I love it right now.

Yep, this just goes to show, a game of this magnitude, even with issues easily has a place in the top tier of gaming experences this year.

SJRB

Gold Member
Installing PS3 version right now, super hyped! Quickly gonna eat some diner and then it's Tomahawk Time.

Megatron

Reviews are dissapointing. B- on 1up, 3.5 out of 5 from Joystiq, 8.5 on Gamespot and IGN. Like the Eurogamer review, reading the reviews makes you kind of wonder why it didn't score lower. None of this will turn me off though. I am too amped for this game, and am also a huge American History buff.

The reviews don't sound too bad to me at all. The negatives are stuff I kinda expected anyways, and all the good stuff I'm looking forward to in this game waaaaaaaaay outweighs some of those negatives.

Still looking forward to this. GODDAMMIT UPS HURRY UP.

Petrichor

I've played up until sequence 5, I stopped at the first
desmond mission

Thoughts so far:

I liked the idea of playing as haythan at the beginning, it's an interesting way to set up a villain, however we played as him for way too long, and the actual missions he has are pretty underwhelming compared to AC2 and AC:B. Taking out sequence 2 entirely would have improved the pacing imo.

I feel like some control scheme changes have been made just for the sake of it, and actually the new scheme doesn't work as well as the old one. The combat system somehow isn't as fun as AC2 or AC:B either. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I actually don't mind connor so far as a character, also Achilles is excellent.

Slowing down the player in the snow is a terrible design decision, and an example of realism that intrudes on player enjoyment (for more see GTA4) I already know I won't be doing any exploring in the winter if I can possibly help it.

Initial reservations I had on the setting held true sadly - Boston in particular is just dull as dishwater and the whole game is pretty ugly both graphically and architecturally compared to previous games. It's a real shame they chose this setting.

Naval combat is excellent though.

Muffdraul

My copy just got delivered. Now the passage of time shall slow to a crawl as I wait for 6PM to roll around so I can go home and play. Eh, I'll duck out early.

I've played up until sequence 5, I stopped at the first
desmond mission

Thoughts so far:

I liked the idea of playing as haythan at the beginning, it's an interesting way to set up a villain, however we played as him for way too long, and the actual missions he has are pretty underwhelming compared to AC2 and AC:B. Taking out sequence 2 entirely would have improved the pacing imo.

I feel like some control scheme changes have been made just for the sake of it, and actually the new scheme doesn't work as well as the old one. The combat system somehow isn't as fun as AC2 or AC:B either. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I actually don't mind connor so far as a character, also Achilles is excellent.

Slowing down the player in the snow is a terrible design decision, and an example of realism that intrudes on player enjoyment (for more see GTA4) I already know I won't be doing any exploring in the winter if I can possibly help it.

Initial reservations I had on the setting held true sadly - Boston in particular is just dull as dishwater and the whole game is pretty ugly both graphically and architecturally compared to previous games. It's a real shame they chose this setting.

Naval combat is excellent though.

I agree and disagree. I think spending less time with him would have worked out but I think his mission are very fun and I enjoyed them. Expect freeing the slaves, I had broken scripted guy that kept me from finishing it for a little bit. The pacing thing could be helped with Connor opening as well. I still haven't gotten to the point where he is a trained adult. I feel like they are labouring his story a bit and it could be faster. I knew Haythem was a templar but I really liked the set-up they did and that twist.

I do find it a bit odd that all of the complaints I would have thrown at Revelations are being thrown at AC3.

I have this reserved for Wii U but man I might just hold out for the PC version if it's going to make the experience any better at all. I've had too many gaming disappointments this year. I want this game to be in the best shape it can be when I play it.

dreamfall

Welp, I bought it for the PS3. Couldn't wait! PC version will just have to wait!

Installing, Uplay passport, got Liberation downloading patches, all this AC love!

Top Bottom