• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Pranay

Valid question. It seems like yes since many of the bigger games have been sharable ever since Sony went to the 2 activation (instead of 5) system.

I know most of my big games are even though no one really wants to play them outside of my account.

Yeah its a valid question but these days most have been misusing it so i thought it was banned to talk about it

denshuu

Anyone found any hidden armor in this game yet? I haven't done any of the Captain Kidd's Treasure or Franklin pages stuff yet, but it's usually unlocked after you go through all that stuff.

We've got it in the store here in Bruges, but we can't sell it yet. By closing time we will put ACIII on shelves, though.

I live in Bruges. :lol

I'm half-expecting the store where I have it preordered to text me about an hour before closing time to tell me I can come pick it up: it's happened before.

Tadale

I got mine early through Amazon, and after playing for about five hours or so, the bugginess has really stood out to me. I'm talking about muskets floating in the air, guards jittering and running into walls, my character having a hard time getting in and out of haystacks, and just general wonkiness with the climbing as well as a couple of times where the game isn't exactly clear about what it wants you to do (I'm talking in particular about one sequence where it's trying to teach you how to aim your gun – I thought the game was bugged and I eventually just reloaded the checkpoint).

It's also just as slow of a start as everyone has pointed out, but after about four hours or so I feel like it's really picking up. Hope it maintains the pace it's at now.

so, any stores open in NYC that are selling this today?

Nothing worse than an impromptu day off of work on release day but not being able to get the game anywhere!

Data Ghost

So even with the patch it's still seemingly buggy as hell?

weak fucking sauce, man.

Hmmm and the devs were banging on about how they were attempting to make a next gen style game on this generation of consoles. Sounds like they might have been talking a load of old fluff doesnt it?

GothPunk

So I guess all these bugs being experienced with the Day 1 patch they apparently released? Wonder how much worse it was before that.
Not that bad in my experience (in 12+ hours of play without the patch, at Sequence 6). There were some floating weapons or chests a couple of times, and one of the Fort side missions that I needed to reload because the target I was supposed to kill to claim the fort hadn't spawned right.

Sure yeah, it sucks that the game has a few bugs, and they especially stand out in a game this immersive, but they're not game breaking, and since I installed the patch I haven't had any problems.

I would not use the term 'buggy as hell' to describe this game, unless I've just been lucky?

This is one of the most fully realised worlds I've ever had the pleasure to play. People complaining about the 'slow start' are mental. This is easily the best Assassin's Creed game.

Also Sai-kun, I'm pretty sure the guns are supposed to be slow, they're muskets not assault rifles. :p

uZwO3.gif

Pretty ecstatic right now. Can't wait till the 30th.

lol damn

Denzar

I live in Bruges. :lol

I'm half-expecting the store where I have it preordered to text me about an hour before closing time to tell me I can come pick it up: it's happened before.

Hah! Small world.

It's a pretty big title, so my boss is hesitant to put it on the shelves before the official street date. Fines, etc...

Ahasverus

To be honest I'm always kind of lucky (Skyrim hasn't bugged on me NEVER EVER in 200 hours) but I didn't experience any of those issues in my pre-patch copy.

Tadale

So that "large" twist after sequence 3 seems pretty obvious to me. :eek:

To still be vague, just in case someone accidently highlights this, I still did not quite see that whole thing coming, and maybe I was just being stupid. I actually was pretty certain that the new recruit character would be a traitor. In retrospect, it was all pretty obvious though.

How long does it take to get to sequence 6?

If I remember correctly it took me around 6 or 7 hours personally. After getting the patch, I can say the glitches seem less intrusive. Like some other big open world games, shit happens but this game is totally worth playing imo. One of the best open world fully realized worlds.

Nice review & you're adorable as usual.

Ha. Thanks. I know the end was ridiculous but when you have a spare fake body to use, you use that fake body!

DSmalls84

PS3 = EMCJNGN97

360 = EMCJNGN96

Newegg has both versions for $48 w/ free shipping. Thought I would post this for those who aren't doing the b2g1f deal at Target. Credit goes to CAG.

ekim

I won't highlight that (I just started sequence 3), but I think the twist is, that
Haytham is the father of connor
. Or is that even obvious from the beginning?

I won't highlight that (I just started sequence 3), but I think the twist is, that

I won't confirm or deny what your saying is true, but I can say that not what is the
twist
regardless. :D I thought the same thing before hand.

Just came back from midnight launch in Australia. My first one. :D There was a surprising amount of people there. Like 60-70? Can't imagine what Halo and CoD launches are like.

Kind of an impulse buy. Some of the impressions sounded less than glowing. We'll see now I guess.

smr00

Banned
If I remember correctly it took me around 6 or 7 hours personally. After getting the patch, I can say the glitches seem less intrusive. Like some other big open world games, shit happens but this game is totally worth playing imo. One of the best open world fully realized worlds.

Ha. Thanks. I know the end was ridiculous but when you have a spare fake body to use, you use that fake body!
6-7 hours isn't that bad if it keeps you into the story those 6-7 hours.

Guess i will dump a few hours into WWE 13 before playing AC3.

6-7 hours isn't that bad if it keeps you into the story those 6-7 hours.

Guess i will dump a few hours into WWE 13 before playing AC3.

Lets just say, once the game gets you that far, you on your own to if you want to just do the main missions or not. This is the moment where alot of peoples time will vary significantly whether you decide to make a beeline for the missions and story or have fun with all the side content.

smr00

Banned
Lets just say, once the game gets you that far, you on your own to if you want to just do the main missions or not. This is the moment where alot of peoples time will vary significantly whether you decide to make a beeline for the missions and story or have fun with all the side content.
I love doing side stuff.

Just so we are clear though the first 6-7 hours is packed with great action, right? I gots to stab dudes. But yeah i actually prefer doing all the side stuff i can before tackling main missions, i love getting the most out of the world i am playing in.

I love doing side stuff.

Just so we are clear though the first 6-7 hours is packed with great action, right? I gots to stab dudes. But yeah i actually prefer doing all the side stuff i can before tackling main missions, i love getting the most out of the world i am playing in.

When I said its slow in my review, I mean it's getting you set up with characters, etc and showcasing you the world and teaching you. Think of it like a tutorial, but really it kept me entertained the entire time personally. I don't see it as a bad thing. You'll still be killing some people, and more so... Don't worry. In comparison to AC2, I felt that intro felt much slower and less interesting, not saying it was bad but if I had to pick someones handful of hours, I'd pick AC3 over 2. I just really enjoyed the setup and payoff.

Tadale

Not what I was talking about at all! I think most people will enjoy what happens.

GothPunk

I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to shoot. Can someone offer some advice on how the controls work for shooting?
L1/LB to lock on to your target and then just hold triangle/Y. That's all I do. Just make sure that the target is highlighted in white - that means that they are in range of your weapon.

If you counter an enemy with O/B and then press triangle/Y you will also shoot them. Pretty handy in a tight spot.

L1/LB to lock on to your target and then just hold triangle/Y. That's all I do. Just make sure that the target is highlighted in white - that means that they are in range of your weapon.

If you counter an enemy with O/B and then press triangle/Y you will also shoot them. Pretty handy in a tight spot.

^ What he said, and just remember it takes time to reload.

guest1321

Perfect, thank you very much. Only 1 thing, does LB *lock* on while LT just zooms?

^ What he said, and just remember it takes time to reload.

Figured this out fairly quick.

The fighting feels different than the previous games. Not sure how I feel about it quite yet, it'll take some getting used to.

The fighting feels different than the previous games. Not sure how I feel about it quite yet, it'll take some getting used to.

It feels different yet the same. I think you'll get a better grasp of it. I felt similar when I started, now I'm just destroying.

Just saw your review. Great review man! Keep up the great work.

Thanks. I wasn't happy with my audio levels being off but it was already rendered and it was causing me issues and just went with it. Thanks for the support. I've been doing these for awhile, can't stop now! :D

Should I force this to 1080p on PS3? The previous Creeds are the only games I've ever forced up as they look quite good. Anyone know if it's the same case again?

GothPunk

Perfect, thank you very much. Only 1 thing, does LB *lock* on while LT just zooms?
Outside of combat, LB puts you into 'fight mode' so the camera zooms in and Connor adopts a battle stance. I think that in this stance you'll auto-lock on to the nearest enemy. LT is not used in combat from what I can tell, it's only used to call up the Assassin Recruits menu. Edit: Just realised that the 360 controls may not mirror the PS3 controls, which is the version I'm playing. So maybe LT is lock on? I'm sure you get what I mean anyway.

My (very hopeful) prediction of the metacritic score for the console versions... 8.4
Well Assassin's Creed II sits at 90/91 on Xbox and PS3, and this is a much better game than that, so...

Afrocious

Cant determine if I want to order this from Newegg with that discount posted earlier...or throw down 250 bucks on Amazon for the Liberation Vita pack...or get both.

Shit, and rent is due too...but I do get paid this Friday :p

Ugh I was planning on waiting until I can get this through GameFly but it is really difficult to resist the temptation of picking it up after work.

Top Bottom