• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

I was thinking about cancelling one of my paid off reserves and just get AC3 for the Wii U. So is the main consensus from Gaf that this is a title worth playing, especially if you're a AC fan? Reason why I'm asking is that funds are tight right now and can only get a few titles this holiday season.

Marleyman

Banned
Depends on who you ask, I guess. I think he is the most likable character so far. Certainly more fun to play as him as well.

Love Connor; he is my favorite assassin. His beginnings are told in such a way that I think it surpasses Ezio's beginning sequences.

Marleyman

Banned
I was thinking about cancelling one of my paid off reserves and just get AC3 for the Wii U. So is the main consensus from Gaf that this is a title worth playing, especially if you're a AC fan? Reason why I'm asking is that funds are tight right now and can only get a few titles this holiday season.

If you are an AC fan; absolutely.

Andrew.

Banned
Stopped at Sequence 2 when they're teaching you how to fire a gun. Really loving it so far and have only experienced one funny glitch on the PS3 version. I've found two almanac pages just exploring the Boston streets, but how soon are you able to buy a map which uncovers the rest of their locations as well as chest locations?

ironcreed

Banned
Love Connor; he is my favorite assassin. His beginnings are told in such a way that I think it surpasses Ezio's beginning sequences.

Yep, the game just builds on itself so well. It's like the slow burn is intentional, so you can get a better sense of rising tension as it progressively gets better and better. While it may annoy some that it takes awhile to really build and open open up, I would hate to see the effect of growing into something epic lost by not making it this way. It wants you to take your time, be surprised by the twists and enjoy the game as it gradually unfolds into something much bigger and better than what you were expecting.

Messi

Yep, the game just builds on itself so well. It's like the slow burn is intentional, so you can get a better sense of rising tension as it progressively gets better and better. While it may annoy some that it takes awhile to really build and open open up, I would hate to see the effect of growing into something epic lost by not making it this way. It wants you to take your time, be surprised by the twists and enjoy the game as it gradually unfolds into something much bigger and better than what you were expecting.

I have only really played the first hour or two but I am loving the slow beginning.

ultron87

Connor instantly ages ten years when he finally puts on the robes. Hmm. Or at least that is the effect to my eyes of how his hair and face change.

Hagi

Man this game is very janktastic. Lots of random pop in, bodies instantly disappearing and the way the missions are segmented is very strange. Still enjoying it though, was very suprised at how it started.

Maybe i'm missing something but wasn't there a lock on system or way to tighten the camera during combat in the previous games?

Is the ability to assassinate while hanging from a ledge still present? Is it just that this particular character doesn't have that ability? (I'm still very early in the game)

ultron87

What is your avatar from? I can't for the life of me remember.

Penny Arcade and their various Deep Crow comics. Specifically it is from this wallpaper/poster thing Gabe drew at some point: http://store.penny-arcade.com/products/pap08002110

Maybe i'm missing something but wasn't there a lock on system or way to tighten the camera during combat in the previous games?

They got rid of lock on so that it is to get in and out of combat. I kind of like it since you can just jam on the right trigger and bolt at any point.

Is the ability to assassinate while hanging from a ledge still present? Is it just that this particular character doesn't have that ability? (I'm still very early in the game)

Assuming you mean assassinating guys above you while hanging, yeah that is still in.

Dany

Banned
I seriously dislike how every game nerfs you. You start from nothing learning the same damn abilities you've known since AC1.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow, I don't want to get ahead of myself here but it looks like my game will get here today going by the tracking info. I love Amazon so much

*orders free 5-7 day shipping, gets it in 1 1/2 days*

iNvid02

was getting used to the decent performance in the frontier... aaaand then went back to boston and shit got crazy. there is no way the pc port can be worse than this

Hagi

They got rid of lock on so that it is to get in and out of combat. I kind of like it since you can just jam on the right trigger and bolt at any point.

Thought as much really makes the combat a little more hectic. During the siege battle in sequence 2 i was swarmed by redcoats and couldn't see shit. The lock on function would have helped.

was getting used to the decent performance in the frontier... aaaand then went back to boston and shit got crazy. there is no way the pc port can be worse than this

I sure hope not; the raised IQ has me pretty excited though. Part of me IS worried, but the majority of me thinks "how could Ubisoft let AC3 PC out of the gate in shit condition." I guess we'll see soon.

At first I was a bit hesitant because there is just SO MUCH in this game, it's amazing. Perhaps it felt a bit overwhelming. But today I did some hunting and it clicked with me. Air assassinated a raccoon seems a bit extreme, but now I'm compelled to seek out what animals are actually in this game. The Frontiersmen missions seem interesting too; searching for the mysteries of the frontier!

I don't know; right now this is close to being my favorite AC. Lots of expanded gameplay elements; to me the controls are more fluid (albeit frustrating at times) and combat is more fun, especially countering. Connor might not be as charismatic as Ezio, but there were parts of Ezio's character that never clicked for me. He never seemed like the type of guy I think they wanted him to be; a hardened, mysterious assassin. He seemed more like a ladies-man, Zorro-esque character to me. That's why I liked ACr Ezio the most. Old Man Ezio seemed to have that quality about him. My point is Connor seems a more natural fit, in my perception, as an assassin. I also agree the slow-burn is intentional, and never truly felt like a straight tutorial to me. I think it was handled pretty well, and never felt like it was dragged on. The very first bit when you get inside the animus was both a surprise and delight. One of my favorite AC 'missions'. It was pretty fucking cool.

However there are definitely issues in the game. Some parts seem rushed, or glossed over. Controls can be frustrating. One thing that bugs me is the draw-distance and LOD; it looks quite bad on PS3, but that's to be expected.

Has me anxious for the PC version.

I've also had some hilarious bugs, but I had no way to capture them. One was a guy in a tavern floating above a bar-stool. He was sitting cross-legged and would twitch a bit, then spin around. It was truly odd.

ironcreed

Banned
Free running through trees and climbing mountains and huge cliffs is just so damn fun. Especially when you are going down a stream or across a river without touching the ground or water. This is just really well done and makes the environment so much more rich than it already is. I am also surprised at how the game world just keeps feeling bigger and bigger.

Free running through trees and climbing mountains and huge cliffs is just so damn fun. Especially when you are going down a stream or across a river without touching the ground or water. This is just really well done and makes the environment so much more rich than it already is. I am also surprised at how the game world just keeps feeling bigger and bigger.

Easily one of my favorite things about this game. I feel like you can climb almost anything. It's so nice to climb fucking cliff-sides. One thing would have been a tool that would allow ability to climb ALL trees and not need a sort of step-up to reach them. The look and feel of climb/free-running is no doubt the best of the series. Top-notch animators at Ubisoft.

I've never had any problem with the 'automated' feel of climbing, and they added stuff in the other games that allowed for a more manual approach like the fall->grab and hook.

By the way, I'm not sure if it's in or not, but IS the fall->grab move still in? I think I did it once, but I'm not sure if it's automatic or what.

Okay, so I am messing around on sequence 6 doing a lot of side stuff and exploration. I am curious....does this ever happen in the game?

Assassin_s_Creed_3_Screenshots_13324760204378.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Easily one of my favorite things about this game. I feel like you can climb almost anything. It's so nice to climb fucking cliff-sides. One thing would have been a tool that would allow ability to climb ALL trees and not need a sort of step-up to reach them. The look and feel of climb/free-running is no doubt the best of the series. Top-notch animators at Ubisoft.

I've never had any problem with the 'automated' feel of climbing, and they added stuff in the other games that allowed for a more manual approach like the fall->grab and hook.

By the way, I'm not sure if it's in or not, but IS the fall->grab move still in? I think I did it once, but I'm not sure if it's automatic or what.

I have not had a chance to pull off that particular move yet, but will be testing it out. I would guess that it is.

But back to something you mentioned about how some hate the so called automated feeling of free running. I agree, and do not have a problem with it either. Because once you get into a flow, it just feels and looks so damn good and it is better than ever by far here in this sort of environment. Same goes for the combat and some of the completely jaw dropping moves that Connor pulls off. No, it is not a deep system, but it sure as hell is fun and looks absolutely incredible. It's just Assassin's Creed and it is by far better than it ever has been.

Dunan

Connor's "rest in peace" line isn't as catchy as Ezio's, but badass nonetheless.

Ezio's "requiescat in pace" always bothered me because it's grammatically wrong if it's something you're commanding someone else to do. It's 3rd person, so on a gravestone, it's saying that so-and-so "rests in peace". Then again, Ezio seems like the kind of guy who didn't pay that much attention in the Latin class that his patrician family presumably forced him to go to, so if that's why he's getting it wrong, I actually like it.

Petrichor

Finished most of it, a few quick impressions.

Pros
+ The setting grew on me by the end - the frontier is amazing and it's a shame we spend so little time there during the main story.

+ Haytham is a great character and I enjoyed the way they set him up. Achilles is also excellent (especially his voicework!)

+ The ending of the present day storyline wraps most things up and is pretty exciting for the future

Cons
- Connor's character and indeed storyline is a complete mess. It's a real shame because I was really warming to him at the beginning, but from around sequence 9 onwards the story completely falls apart to the extent that you literally have no idea why you're assassinating x, fighting with y anymore. It's actually the worst historic narrative of the series by a mile.

- Performance is really sloppy.

- The modern day missions play and feel like an afterthought. Such a shame.

- What have they done to the combat and freerunning controls? They've just changed them for the sake of it and it's not an improvement.

- Removing player progression (weapon, armour and health upgrades) also removes much of what motivated me to do sidequests in previous games. There's plenty of them to do in AC3, but they just feel meaningless.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed.

Another thing I love is mobile assassinations. I took down a group of 4 dudes yesterday in about 2 seconds on the move. They definitely TRIED to remove most of the clumsiness of the past games, succeeded in doing it well with a few. As stated the automated controls can get whacky.

ironcreed

Banned
The only problem I have ever had with the controls in all of the games is I sometimes jump or climb onto something that I did not intend to while free running around corners, or when I hit a wall. But once you are in a groove it feels amazing. With the new animations and environment, I think it is definitely much better here than in previous games, occasional annoyances aside. On the whole, it's pretty amazing in my book.

In each city, do all the viewpoints. Go to the maps and find on the liberation missions. After you do all of them for that area one more mission shows up, and that's the recruit mission.

Question for this.
In Boston, I liberated the bottom two area of the map but the top area says it only 77% (i think) ours, but I don't see any more missions to lower this. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

SJRB

Gold Member
Another thing I love is mobile assassinations. I took down a group of 4 dudes yesterday in about 2 seconds on the move. They definitely TRIED to remove most of the clumsiness of the past games, succeeded in doing it well with a few. As stated the automated controls can get whacky.

Is this move ever explained in the game? How do I do it?

News Bot

Banned
So where's Benjamin Franklin so I can get some inventions? And what's with all the recipes and shit? I'm up to Sequence 9 and haven't done or used any of that stuff because the game doesn't explain where to go or what to do, and if it does, it doesn't do it very clearly.

Looks like the Captain Kidd missions are the real new 'puzzle locations'. At least, that's the vibe I'm getting from the first one.

Looks like the Captain Kidd missions are the real new 'puzzle locations'. At least, that's the vibe I'm getting from the first one.

Yep these are great! :D Also does anyone know how to get the red artisans with numbers in the crafting menu to unlock? Still not clear on this. Is it like leveling those vendors up or what? Can't figure this out.

Question for this.
In Boston, I liberated the bottom two area of the map but the top area says it only 77% (i think) ours, but I don't see any more missions to lower this. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Liberation mission spoilers:
Look for a red area in the north district, there's a liberation mission to free someone that doesn't appear on the map.

Also, general stores. How many are there and where? I've found three on New York and two in Boston, but I don't think those are all of them.

Petrichor

Yep these are great! :D Also does anyone know how to get the red artisans with numbers in the crafting menu to unlock? Still not clear on this. Is it like leveling those vendors up or what? Can't figure this out.

just keep doing the homestead missions and by the end you'll have unlocked all of them.

just keep doing the homestead missions and by the end you'll have unlocked all of them.

Ok I've been doing this! FUCK THAT PIG HERDING MISSION! LOL naw but really I was cracking up cause I was getting frustrated and I could tell Connor was too with his comments and remarks! :p

Liberation mission spoilers:
Look for a red area in the north district, there's a liberation mission to free someone that doesn't appear on the map.

Awesome thanks for that info!

Is this move ever explained in the game? How do I do it?

Its in the animus assassin training center inside the manual. I can't remember if they covered it. I basically sprint towards guys with the hidden blade out and hit square when they're highlighted. In quick succession they should all be dealt. Sometimes it isn't that accurate, but when you do pull it off its great.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the GAF consensus on this game so far (and I realize it only came out two days ago)? I currently have Halo 4 pre-ordered but it supposedly only has an 8-hour campaign so I'm thinking of dropping my pre-order and instead picking up AC3 over Black Friday for 360 or PS3.

So what's the GAF consensus on this game so far (and I realize it only came out two days ago)? I currently have Halo 4 pre-ordered but it supposedly only has an 8-hour campaign so I'm thinking of dropping my pre-order and instead picking up AC3 over Black Friday for 360 or PS3.

Slow start that some love, and some loathe. Interesting new setting but some prefer the old styles. Mixed feelings on combat depending who you ask. Lots of content to keep you busy for a long time. Honestly it seems mixed between people. There are alot of little bugs and glitches but for me the good heavily outweight these issues.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Slow start that some love, and some loathe. Interesting new setting but some prefer the old styles. Mixed feelings on combat depending who you ask. Lots of content to keep you busy for a long time. Honestly it seems mixed between people. There are alot of little bugs and glitches but for me the good heavily outweight these issues.

Coolio, sounds like pretty much all the AC games that have come before. I've played them all with the exception of Revelations and I'm really interested in the revolutionary setting so I definitely have an eye on this game. I'll go back and read through this thread to see people's impressions, but I may very well drop Halo 4 and swing over to this branch instead.

Pretty disappointed with this. Performance is just so bad and I've had all kinds of weird bugs and scripting errors. Glad I got it from redbox. I'm going to return it today so i only have to pay 4 bucks

Top Bottom