• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

exYle

thanks for advice, people.

is combat the same?

It's still responsive/reactive, but there are differences. Once you do a successful "counter", you get a choice between counter-kill, disarm, throw, or use tool (gun/rope dart/bow etc). You can also start chain kills, which was added in Brotherhood. Other than that, it's the same.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The game is an extremely slow burn at the start but I've been enjoying that. Up to sequence 4 now and I think this whole area looks visually amazing, I'm really liking the hunting.

Cloudy

Banned
Please tell me this blue flash when I talk to people in sequence 1 isn't going to happen throughout the game. This is my first AC game and I'm intrigued but it's driving me crazy lol

Ambitious

Oh, shit! Didnt know this.... was curious what I was stabbing fools with lol.

Some other combat questions.... Can you still throw weapons? Where are the damn stores to buy weapons????? I'm on Sequence 9 and I feel like I NEVER see a shop :-/

I wonder too. On my Boston map there's exactly one store, up in the north.

Wow at everyone who complained about the opening. Not only are the first three sequences already fun on their own, the story was awesome and the twist at the end of the third sequence was SO worth it.

Chris_C

This game is awfully start stop. I can't fathom why some of the missions are cut in such a way that requires you to start, walk five paces, and then launch into a cinematic, before giving you control, asking you to walk up a hill, and then launch you into ANOTHER cinematic.

I'm not sure playing this at the same time as Dishonored is doing the game any favors though. AC3 seems so in love with itself that you have to WRESTLE for control, Dishonored just lets you go about your business.

exYle

This game is awfully start stop. I can't fathom why some of the missions are cut in such a way that requires you to start, walk five paces, and then launch into a cinematic, before giving you control, asking you to walk up a hill, and then launch you into ANOTHER cinematic.

I'm not sure playing this at the same time as Dishonored is doing the game any favors though. AC3 seems so in love with itself that you have to WRESTLE for control, Dishonored just lets you go about your business.

I remember early in the game there was a mission that stopped for a cinematic... of someone nodding at you. Pointless.

I'm not feeling the stealth in this game and some of the missions I feel like the developers went for a "historically accurate" or "spectacular" way in detriment of gameplay.

The have as a lot of great things but also a lot of bad things, sadly, as much as I love the franchise, I'm not feeling the game as I wanted. The same happen to me with ACR and with the time I ended loving it, I hope it's the case with ACIII.

Carbonox

The performance of this game on the PS3 is jarring, as are the new controls. I'm not comfortable not having to hold down X to sprint as I liked holding down R1 on its own to just jog. Plus the combat.

Will take a while to get used to.

Omni

I think I'm finally close to finishing. Up to sequence 8 (a bit through it now)... Still not really feeling the love for Connor to be honest; He's kinda boring in comparison to Ezio and Altaïr.

FStop7

Banned
I'm finding the early Connor stuff pretty unbearable. I don't care about playing hide and seek and collecting feathers. It's pretentious. Just let me stab guys.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think I'm finally close to finishing. Up to sequence 8 (a bit through it now)... Still not really feeling the love for Connor to be honest; He's kinda boring in comparison to Ezio and Altaïr.

..wait, sequence 8 is the final sequence? How the fuck is that even possible when the "real" game doesn't start until sequence 6?

ekim

..wait, sequence 8 is the final sequence? How the fuck is that even possible when the "real" game doesn't start until sequence 6?

From looking at the DNA screen in the options I thought there are like
sequences?

€dit: yes,
sequences.

I hate these stupid assassin's robes, is there a way to change your outfit back to what it was before? There are hardly any options to change the colours either. Lame.

Sequence 2, the part where
Haysham needs to attack a bandit fort to retrieve something or other, right now the game's got me stuck at a part where it expects me to shoot some powder kegs to blow open a door
, and the problem? IT WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO FIRE ANY FUCKING GUN. IT WON'T EVEN ALLOW ME TO FUCKING MOVE FROM THAT PARTICULAR SPOT.

I was under the impression that pressing Triangle fired pistols/rifles but it IS NOT happening, whether I've got L1 depressed or not. In fact no buttons work. Is this a glitch that the patch didn't fix? WTF do I do to get past this?

Omni

There's 12, but it seems like the story is starting to wind down now. It's at the point where I can imagine how the game is going to end Connor-wise... whether I'm right or not is another story altogether I guess.

ekim

Sequence 2, the part where
Haysham needs to attack a bandit fort to retrieve something or other, right now the game's got me stuck at a part where it expects me to shoot some powder kegs to blow open a door
, and the problem? IT WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO FIRE ANY FUCKING GUN. IT WON'T EVEN ALLOW ME TO FUCKING MOVE FROM THAT PARTICULAR SPOT.

I was under the impression that pressing Triangle fired pistols/rifles but it IS NOT happening, whether I've got L1 depressed or not. Is this a glitch that the patch didn't fix? WTF do I do to get past this?

You have to aim at those barrells on the ground.

one_kill

I hope Ubisoft fixes their online mode. I can't log in to play multiplayer consistently. It's always the bloody limited mode.

madmackem

You have to aim at those barrells on the ground.

Yeah i had that issue too, for all the hand holding in the first few missions they miss out glaring prompts like where the fuck to shoot those barrels and i didnt even remember what was shoot at the start and it doesnt fucking tell you. As i say for all the hand holding those few things jumped out as obvious things the game should tell you.

vladdamad

Really wasn't feeling the game at the start, but when I realised the narrative significance of the first three sequences, I was completely floored. Game has been fantastic ever since, love the early Connor stuff, reminds me of playing as Ezio when he was a teen

Really wasn't feeling the game at the start, but when I realised the narrative significance of the first three sequences, I was completely floored. Game has been fantastic ever since, love the early Connor stuff, reminds me of playing as Ezio when he was a teen

The first three sequences feel rushed and you have no clue as to how and why you are doing things.

Until the ending of sequence 3. That sure was a shocker. Great job by Ubisoft there.

iddqd

This!
One thing I never understand with new games.

Jrmint

Something I've been wondering.

What are the benefits to getting full Synchronization in the missions? Most of them I have gotten but certain ones I missed the optional objectives and don't want to replay it over and over to get it.

Will I be missing out on anything major, or is it just achievements and such?

Anyone help me out here?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, thiis is my first AC.

Hobohodo

I beleive it's just Acheivemts and
a bonus outfit.

The spoiler is nothing really and I'm not sure how strict spoiler talk is. I'm not even 100% sure it's right, but I think I saw that when flicking through the guide .

theDeeDubs

Coming from someone who hates online play, Wolfpack is a lot of fun. Had a couple 25 sequence runs with some randoms last night and it was a blast. Quad multikills galore. Almost finished with the mp trophies after one night. Well done Ubi. The performance of the MP on PS3 is great too.

Well, I have changed my tune about this game, but only because the side content is actually really fun and it's the only thing I've been doing in this game.

I don't think you can go into this game actually even expecting AC2 or Brotherhood but a game that is more side-quest driven (and the first AC game to even have enjoyable sidequest). AC3 is it's own animal and I can appreciate it for what it is. Naval engagement are a well done diversion, and doing random challenges actually give you abilities to try the new features.

Yeah, there are a lot of design flaws, yet the sheer amount of content was worth the admission price or at least a long rental.

Still, the bugs have broke so many missions that to some who want a semblance of polish won't really find it in this game. You'll literally see a bug every 2 minutes.

So I beat the game with only 1 artisan, did all possible side stuff but more never showed up?

Finishing the game has definitely changed my opinion of it. Its better than 1 but isn't near as good as 2, Brotherhood or Revelations. Alot of wasted potential.

So I beat the game with only 1 artisan, did all possible side stuff but more never showed up?

In each city, do all the viewpoints. Go to the maps and find on the liberation missions. After you do all of them for that area one more mission shows up, and that's the recruit mission.

Well, the game just locked up on me. While dropping a fucking lantern to the ground. Lotsa calculations needed there, of course.

I had this nightmare inducing bug where I picked up a powder keg and the screen went brown and the most horrible sounds from the very pit of hell came out of my speakers as loud as possible.

spent a few hours in my favorite multiplayer mode, Wanted. Some fantastic and clever changes to the mp gameplay.

-Stun button is now same as a kill button, preventing people from spamming stun
-there's a few second kill cooldown timer, so if you make a mistake and you're target is nearby, you're likely to get stunned
-You have three active abilities instead of two, and one of them is a 'ranged attack'
-just like single player, no face button required for free running
-'money bomb' is a fantastic early level surrogate for smoke bonb - basically clears a blended group from NPCs revealing any player characters and without taking away control
-whispering is much easier to 'hear', whatever they did to sound design, its much easier to gauge how near your pursuer is.

theDeeDubs

spent a few hours in my favorite multiplayer mode, Wanted. Some fantastic and clever changes to the mp gameplay.

-Stun button is now same as a kill button, preventing people from spamming stun
-there's a few second kill cooldown timer, so if you make a mistake and you're target is nearby, you're likely to get stunned
-You have three active abilities instead of two, and one of them is a 'ranged attack'
-just like single player, no face button required for free running
-'money bomb' is a fantastic early level surrogate for smoke bonb - basically clears a blended group from NPCs revealing any player characters and without taking away control
-whispering is much easier to 'hear', whatever they did to sound design, its much easier to gauge how near your pursuer is.

Totally agree with all these. I swear I never heard any whispers in Rev. Getting rid of the need for a face button for free running is also probably my favorite change for SP and MP in 3.

rvy

Banned
Sliding into cover is awful. Like, Kane & Lynch awful. They tried to make it seamless, but just made a shitty mechanic that doesn't work well most of the time.

Top Bottom