• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Stark

Banned
Am I the only one in here that is really enjoying this game. Some people make it sound like its downright torture playing it.

Nope. I'm at Sequence 8 and I continue to enjoy it from every aspect. Has been smooth sailing for me in terms of glitches and FPS drops, as well.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nope. I'm at Sequence 8 and I continue to enjoy it from every aspect. Has been smooth sailing for me in terms of glitches and FPS drops, as well.

I've gotten further in AC3 than I did in the previous entries before giving up... tho it's a bit overwhelming how much there is to do, I'm absolutely in love with the setting. haven't really experienced any more bugs than collision issues and floating objects; which is so ingrained in games this generation, it doesn't even bother me. (getting stuck on the horse is kind of annoying though)

Xbox version.

Am I the only one in here that is really enjoying this game. Some people make it sound like its downright torture playing it.

Not alone. My biggest gripes came early on and since then been a joy to play. Haven't enjoyed exploring in an open world map in a long time but with the varying weather effects, time of day, I find myself in awe in the Frontier. AC3 is stuck in my head all day at work.

TheOddOne

Am I the only one annoyed by the inconsistent stopping? Like usually you deadstop at a ledge, but more and more I'm just slipping and falling from the weirdest places. Utterly frustrating at certain points.

Derrick01

Banned
Some quick impressions after being 30% through sequence 2

-It's the clunkiest controlling AC yet. They switched so much around and then threw in the awful revolutionary war guns on top.

-Game looks pretty solid and performs ok-ish. Reading gaf impressions made me think running around Boston would be a slideshow but it's not that bad at all.

-They don't let you catch your bearings at all. As soon as I get to town they have me following people with all of these info bars flying all over my screen while I'm trying to adapt to the open city at the same time. Information overload. I literally had to pause the game and take a few deep breaths.

-I have no idea how to do this new combat system. I would tie that into part 1 but I think it's mostly a me problem so far. I think I have countering and killing down but nothing else yet.

Kind of bored but I'm hanging in there.

I have a question for people way further ahead.

Can I skip a lot of side content as this guy and it'll all still be available as Connor later on? Like Ben's almanac pages or courier missions.

No. I am having an amazing time with the game. Love the combat, the exploration, the traversal. My only gripe are little things like some of the manor trading/crafting mechanic I feel aren't that great. I might just have to spend more time with it and find more recipes.

Can I skip a lot of side content as this guy and it'll all still be available as Connor later on? Like Ben's almanac pages or courier missions.

yes

man a couple things.
Tailing guy forever = not fun
Running after guy forever in circles = not fun
Not enjoying
new york
so far

I don't think tailing will ever be fun, and should be a forgotten open world mission design.

george_us

They honestly should of trimmed the beginning missions by at least half. I'm having A LOT more fun now that the world has opened up. Still on Sequence 6.

Just got this game from a redbox using one of Wario's codes.

What are the odds of me being able to marathon this in 24 hours.

And for refrence. I played assassins creed and hated it. Story was mildly interesting.

Loved assassins creed 2 but only because it was ostensibly a modern day banjo kazooie and the story veered so out of control, it became comical.

Will I enjoy marathoning 3!

-It's the clunkiest controlling AC yet. They switched so much around and then threw in the awful revolutionary war guns on top.

-Game looks pretty solid and performs ok-ish. Reading gaf impressions made me think running around Boston would be a slideshow but it's not that bad at all.

-They don't let you catch your bearings at all. As soon as I get to town they have me following people with all of these info bars flying all over my screen while I'm trying to adapt to the open city at the same time. Information overload. I literally had to pause the game and take a few deep breaths.

-I have no idea how to do this new combat system. I would tie that into part 1 but I think it's mostly a me problem so far. I think I have countering and killing down but nothing else yet.

To answers your question. Yes.

As for the combat, what are you having trouble with? I would recommend just going around town getting in fights and try to understand it more. In the first sequences you don't have to worry about ruining your notoriety level.

Bladenic

Just got this game from a redbox using one of Wario's codes.

What are the odds of me being able to marathon this in 24 hours.

And for refrence. I played assassins creed and hated it. Story was mildly interesting.

Loved assassins creed 2 but only because it was ostensibly a modern day banjo kazooie and the story veered so out of control, it became comical.

Will I enjoy marathoning 3!

24 hours straight? I'm sure you'll be able to beat the story in that time, well WAY less if you don't do anything else.

I find it interesting that some people feel that the side quests don't offer enough incentives to do them but alot of people think the side stuff is better then some of the main missions. A bit silly I think. I love the main story and the side stuff so I'm just happy in general with the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I felt like this when I was where you were at too. It gets much better though.

Framerate drops are more in the Frontier and the setpieces though, and you'll most definitely notice them then.

Derrick01

Banned
To answers your question. Yes.

As for the combat, what are you having trouble with? I would recommend just going around town getting in fights and try to understand it more. In the first sequences you don't have to worry about ruining your notoriety level.

I'm kind of fumbling around still since I haven't mastered the controls yet. The mission where the optional objective was kill 10 guys with firearms really threw me off since the game really didn't tell me how to use them all that well. I figured it out but a few times guys engaged me in close quarters and I was fumbling around trying to figure out how to reload or fire, which I didn't know at the time that you couldn't do it in "battle stance".

Raitosaito said:
I'm that way too, so get ready for sidequest overload.

I'll never complain about having too much side stuff :)

24 hours straight? I'm sure you'll be able to beat the story in that time, well WAY less if you don't do anything else.

I loved assassins creed for its collectible banjo kazooie aspects. It might be hard avoiding the collectibles and other diversions.

I 100%'d 2 (sans feathers) when I played it. This'll be tough. Hope I like it. The giant bomb quick look killed the little hype I had for this game

How the hell does one reliably do a Double Assassination? I am standing right behind these two dudes hovering over a table in this one optional mission and Connor keeps stabbing only one of them, alerting the other guy, and de-syncing me for getting caught.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How the hell does one reliably do a Double Assassination? I am standing right behind these two dudes hovering over a table in this one optional mission and Connor keeps stabbing only one of them, alerting the other guy, and de-syncing me for getting caught.
Yeah WTF every time I try they notice me :/

Am I missing double blades or something or what? Do I only get that ability later?

Tex117

Banned
If you didn't see the
sequence 3 plot twist coming, then my goodness, there is no hope for you! The fact they never, not once mentioned the assiassins, kept saying "order", read the animus about Conner's mother saying she consorted with a known Templar...then mentions Haytham...it was very..very obvious....I still liked it though...

I don't get why some are hating on the game. Its different, and different is good to change things up.

Though one HUGE complaint. They need to ease up with the Desync stuff. . . The eavsdropping missions, the "dont be seen" missions force stealth on a very clunky stealth system. I almost raged quit a few times due to just bull shit stuff like that.

Let me play the damn game...geesh.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just a couple of random questions that popped in my head on my way from work:

- with all the different seasons and whatnot, how is this taken care of in the endgame? Can you select season when booting up the animus or something?
- is the day/night cycle gone? I don't remember any realtime changes
- Did anyone experience realtime weather effects like Ubi talked about? Only time I experienced rain was during a short segment and it was definately scripted.

Bladenic

I loved assassins creed for its collectible banjo kazooie aspects. It might be hard avoiding the collectibles and other diversions.

I 100%'d 2 (sans feathers) when I played it. This'll be tough. Hope I like it. The giant bomb quick look killed the little hype I had for this game

The best time to rent from Redbox is at 12:01 AM, then you get to keep it for two days basically. For future reference lol, it'll probably be really hard to do everything in the game in ~24 hours.

Well I'm finally gonna get to play the game tomorrow evening. Can't wait to dig in.

Just a couple of random questions that popped in my head on my way from work:

- with all the different seasons and whatnot, how is this taken care of in the endgame? Can you select season when booting up the animus or something?
- is the day/night cycle gone? I don't remember any realtime changes
- Did anyone experience realtime weather effects like Ubi talked about? Only time I experienced rain was during a short segment and it was definately scripted.

I don't think you can pick the season. Not sure.

Day and night cycle is still there and yes fog, rain, storms, do happen randomly when exploring the frontier.

Do you have the assassin suit already?
Yes, I have it and I'm talking about the Fort Wolcott mission to be more specific. The two dudes you have to take out near the end right before the
escape sequence

I managed to take them out by running at them and holding X down but I'm frustrated I wasn't able to double assassinate them so easily like in the Ezio Saga of AC games, especially when I know you have the ability to according to the in-game tutorials and manual.

Yes, I have it and I'm talking about the Fort Wolcott mission to be more specific. The two dudes you have to take out near the end right before the
escape sequence

I managed to take them out by running at them and holding X down but I'm frustrated I wasn't able to double assassinate them so easily like in the Ezio Saga of AC games, especially when I know you have the ability to according to the in-game tutorials and manual.

I've performed the double assassin move plenty of times. Not sure what was causing the issue. Maybe the object by them?

Just got a delivery confirmation email from UPS for the Ubiworkshop edition. I should have had it delivered to work so I could open it now lol

GAMERG0D

There's this one Fort in Boston that I cannot get into, it has a huge wall around it and whenever I try to approach the front entrance they close the door. It's impossible to avoid these two guards.

There's this one Fort in Boston that I cannot get into, it has a huge wall around it and whenever I try to approach the front entrance they close the door. It's impossible to avoid these two guards.
Is it the one listed as templar controlled on the map? If so I got in through a door on ground level to the rear left (if you're facing the front entrance on the street). Said entrance is guarded by two guys but from there it's a pretty clear shot to the objectives.

I also hope they end up selling the alternate pre-order costumes; they are so cool. Especially that captain one.

The dynamic cycle offers some beautiful moments. Summer rain in
Boston
at night. So good.
I feel like I haven't had the time to really get any interesting weather yet. I'm going to try and spend more time in the frontier and see if I can get some storms. I can't wait to see it though. Especially when I'm hanging around in a tree.

I also think doing stealth is a bit more reasonable with this game with corner peek and stuff. Supposedly you can move carts of hay and things like that? Or did I read the wiki wrong?

Doesn't seem to be anything in my way. :(

So you have your hidden blades select? They are just standing there. Not sitting on a bench or standing against a table by chance? Just trying to figure out if something in the geomtry of the level is messing with your ability to double assassinate.

GAMERG0D

Is it the one listed as templar controlled on the map? If so I got in through a door on ground level to the rear left (if you're facing the front entrance on the street). Said entrance is guarded by two guys but from there it's a pretty clear shot to the objectives.
Ah there it is, thank you.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Frontier is the best thing the AC team has ever made, goddamn. I'm loving the tree traversal.

Are Almanac pages sequence locked or are they not missable if I go after them all at a later time?

The Frontier is the best thing the AC team has ever made, goddamn. I'm loving the tree traversal.

Are Almanac pages sequence locked or are they not missable if I go after them all at a later time?

Not sure, I can't find anymore in Boston so maybe I'll unlock more in a later sequence. Though I'm pretty sure if you missed any, they will still be there.
Also I agree with your thoughts on the Frontier! Soo...F-ing... GOOD!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
you can change the seasons once you've completed the game. You can't save any progress though if you force summer or winter.

How do you do that? I didn't find the way to do it :/

Almanach pages can be done at any times. Some are annoying, other so easy. I really dislike these.

Petrichor

How do you do that? I didn't find the way to do it :/

Almanach pages can be done at any times. Some are annoying, other so easy. I really dislike these.

When you pick up one of the random moving pivot points unlocked after you do the epilogue missions it unlocks the force season
animus hack

Top Bottom