• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

I don't see how anyone could play AC on a keyboard.

360 controller and comfy couch PC gaming. It's great. I'm going to be a sad panda if the next gen systems launch next year and the games only look on par with a modern gaming PC. It's really hard going back to the 360 sometimes ever since I got a pretty good gaming laptop two years ago. Sometimes it's like night and day difference.

I fucking hate horses in this game. They truly are moronic.

Yup, every single part with a horse is insufferable. Walk over a rock surface that's 3 inches higher than the ground? The stupid fucking thing gets stuck, and you're doing 180s for the next 10 seconds trying to get off. Just incredibly bad control, and exacerbated by the framerate.

I went back and played the start of Brotherhood yesterday, and horse movement is smooth as butter. How did they fuck this up so much?
(That statement applies to almost every other part of the game as well).

legbone

fucking shit. just found out that i cannot level my artisan's up completely now because i didn't do a bunch of shit in sequence 5 that the game never explained how to do let alone told me i had to do to level up my artisans. i'm fucking sick of this game not explaining things especially something as vital as leveling up the artisans. fuck this game. i love it but this not explaining shit is straight up fucked.

Where can I buy beaver pelts? Since that's the best way to make fast money I believe?

Not sure. There's a bunch of them in the game world though. When you are running around, just hold the X button and you'll murder plenty of them. I always feel bad because they can't run really fast and their death knell is so sad sounding. : (

SJRB

Gold Member
Man I just entered the third battery but the Desmond storyline is fucking crazy, wow.

By the way, the binary code from the e-mail sender translates to
Juno
. As shallow and utterly boring as Connor's story is, I'm actually very curious to see how Desmond's story will end up. I just hope they can live up to the larger than life expectations after so many games.

wingz

fucking shit. just found out that i cannot level my artisan's up completely now because i didn't do a bunch of shit in sequence 5 that the game never explained how to do let alone told me i had to do to level up my artisans. i'm fucking sick of this game not explaining things especially something as vital as leveling up the artisans. fuck this game. i love it but this not explaining shit is straight up fucked.

I didn't start leveling up my artisans until the end of the game. It's all about finding the homestead missions. The more you complete, the more artisans you will receive and the more level up they will be. Check all map locations for homestead missions. They appear everywhere.

Carbonox

Once I'm fully done with the game, I'm tempted to return to either Brotherhood or Revelations. Probably Brotherhood. In that AC fever now. Still have plenty of time before Hitman Absolution. Dishonored, AC3 and Hitman Absolution in a row. Mad Assassin hype.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man I just entered the third battery but the Desmond storyline is fucking crazy, wow.

Juno
. As shallow and utterly boring as Connor's story is, I'm actually very curious to see how Desmond's story will end up.

I loved that detail, I translated and was very glad to see that.

Linius

Not sure. There's a bunch of them in the game world though. When you are running around, just hold the X button and you'll murder plenty of them. I always feel bad because they can't run really fast and their death knell is so sad sounding. : (

Yeah, I got a view of them already. But only by hunting is going too slow. I want quick money, I'm in the empire business.

Yeah, I got a view of them already. But only by hunting is going too slow. I want quick money, I'm in the empire business.

Walter-White.jpg

vladdamad

Juno
. As shallow and utterly boring as Connor's story is, I'm actually very curious to see how Desmond's story will end up. I just hope they can live up to the larger than life expectations after so many games.

It doesn't. One of the worst video game endings I've ever seen, so unbelievably dumb and anticlimactic. I think I now realise how the people invested in the Mass Effect story felt at the start of the year

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Man i am raging at this game HARD

I love it but it is really fucking frustrating at times....anyone else struggling to relearn this shit? must say I'm surprised by the lack of guidance, i cant believe how little guidance there is towards some elements of the game, the fact it doesn't put shops and stuff on the maps is baffling, love the game but man its not great to play in a bad mood...

Xevren

Finishing up the Kidd's quest was not, not so neat is the fact that the quest reward is always fucking flashing anytime I load up anywhere!

legbone

I didn't start leveling up my artisans until the end of the game. It's all about finding the homestead missions. The more you complete, the more artisans you will receive and the more level up they will be. Check all map locations for homestead missions. They appear everywhere.

were they able to get to their full potential though? my understanding is if you don't do everything available for them in each sequence they will never reach their full potential. game really should have mentioned that. of course this game is one of the worst i have ever played for not explaining shit. it would be understandable if there was an actual manual. the manual in the options menu is a fucking joke.

GAMERG0D

Finishing up the Kidd's quest was not, not so neat is the fact that the quest reward is always fucking flashing anytime I load up anywhere!

I have the same problem, I turned off my game an hour ago and I hope the notification is gone when I turn it back on.

wingz

were they able to get to their full potential though? my understanding is if you don't do everything available for them in each sequence they will never reach their full potential. game really should have mentioned that. of course this game is one of the worst i have ever played for not explaining shit. it would be understandable if there was an actual manual. the manual in the options menu is a fucking joke.

Yeah, I totally agree that a poor job at explaining how to make money with the convoy and building up your homestead with the artisans. The whole maintaining a homestead is definitely a step forward from the villa in AC2, but that was definitely implemented much better and explained better as well.

Thanks for the confirmation.

The Huntress will sell you beaver pelts at lvl 2 and you can find a ton of beavers along the river in the homestead map. Just head toward Norris' mine and go up and down the river beds.

Carbonox

It is a known bug and will be fixed in the next title update.

Do we know what bugs will be addressed in the next update? I hope this includes outfit color changes showing in cutscenes. That New York color is too badass to leave alone.

Wix

What are artisans? How do I upgrade my homestead? How do I get new Assassin recruits? What do convoys do?

I love most aspects of the game so far, not encountered any bugs. But the menus and explanations all seem so chaotic - it's too much. It seems to me like they went with aesthetics over a user friendly menu design.

lunchtoast

What are artisans? How do I upgrade my homestead? How do I get new Assassin recruits? What do convoys do?

I love most aspects of the game so far, not encountered any bugs. But the menus and explanations all seem so chaotic - it's too much. It seems to me like they went with aesthetics over a user friendly menu design.

Do homestead missions for upgrades, you add items to convoys to sell them to merchants, and I too would like to know how to get more assassins. I just have 1 guy doing all the missions.

Do homestead missions for upgrades, you add items to convoys to sell them to merchants, and I too would like to know how to get more assassins. I just have 1 guy doing all the missions.

Here's the post I made on that.

In cities, you'll have a few 'Liberation Contract' icons on your map. The first time you meet these guys, they'll tell you how shitty conditions are, and that they like what you're trying to do. They might even give you specific tasks: like a doctor in New York telling you to get rid of blankets infected with smallpox. You'll also have several 'Liberation Missions' on your map. These range from defending a farmer as he harvests his land to putting down rabid dogs or the aformentioned burning of infected blankets. Each one you do (I think there's three of each type) adds up to your total control of that particular district. Not every mission will appear on your map, so just keep an eye out while you're exploring the cities if you're still short a few. You can also check your progress in the Log section of the map, and see what kinds of missions you still need to do.

Once a district has been liberated, head back to your contact, who will be marked on the map with a black 'Liberation Mission'-icon. In a cutscene, your contact will point you in the way of the chief Templar overseeing the district, and volunteer to help kill him. During that mission, you'll also unlock that Recruit's specific ability: for instance, starting a riot or setting up an ambush. Once that mission is complete, your contact will swear allegiance to you and you'll have a new Assassin trainee.

Each trainee starts at level 0, and maxes out at level 11. They'll gain XP by coming to your aid in the overworld, but you can also send them on missions like in the previous games. Hold down the RB button (on the Xbox) to open up the Assassin menu. You can select one of your recruit's abilities from there, but if you press X you open the map of the Colonies. Each colony has a few missions tied to it. You'll need to build up your Assassins' skills before you can send them on the high-risk missions: this takes a longer time than it did in the previous games. XP is also earned a lot slower, and once you gain control of a Colony, the Templar's can't take it over again like they could in Revelations. At least, not to my knowledge.

Completing missions brings in coin and the occasional item, alongside XP for your Recruit. At higher levels, they're stronger and more resilient and can come to your aid more often. Assuming they're not on an adventure in the Colonies, that is.

Hope that helps for everyone having trouble with the system.

Carbonox

Do the Liberation missions. I think you have to do them all in a district in order to get the assassin contact of that district to join you. I have 3 guys on my team so I'm pretty sure that's it.

Edit: See above for an even better description.

wingz

You got to complete all the liberation missions in specific sector of the city. Afterwards, you meet up with the NPC who gave you the liberation contract and he/she becomes an assassin.

EDIT: Beaten

Also, those delivery missions? Not worth it. You get a thousand pounds, while you're often collecting dozens of pelts easily worth double that.

This game is a steaming pile of garbage and getting traded tomorrow.

I've only played the game a few hours and between NOT playing as connor, the population popping in practically right in front of you, the frame rate dips to the speed of a flip book with parkinsons and the horrendous do the mission stealth or reload/retry it the biggest disappointment this gen.

I did have farcry 3 pre ordered but after Ubi shoveling this turd at me and the linear scriptfest that Ghost Recon:FS was, I'm leery about anything they develop from here on out and may wait to buy all their shit used so I can return for a full refund if it sucks.

Ricker

Despite some hard secondary objectives and all,I am really liking the game and the Story so far...totally surprised at what happens at the start of Sequence 4 hehe...

Carbonox

This game is a steaming pile of garbage and getting traded tomorrow.

I've only played the game a few hours and between NOT playing as connor, the population popping in practically right in front of you, the frame rate dips to the speed of a flip book with parkinsons and the horrendous do the mission stealth or reload/retry it the biggest disappointment this gen.

I did have farcry 3 pre ordered but after Ubi shoveling this turd at me and the linear scriptfest that Ghost Recon:FS was, I'm leery about anything they develop from here on out and may wait to buy all their shit used so I can return for a full refund if it sucks.

A shame. While the beginning few sequences are an acquired taste and rather 'marmite' in application, the game really picks up afterwards once you do get to Connor. Then when the game opens up, it's incredibly enjoyable.

I'd recommend giving it a bit more time but it's up to you. I wasn't a fan of the non-Connor beginning either but now I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

rvy

Banned
Holy crap, I've been following the Homestead NPCs to scan their activities, went inside the church to meet Ellen, we were coming outside and she opened the door for me. What the shit.

Wix

Here's the post I made on that.

Thanks!

Other than that, I do not understand all the hate this game is getting. Have you not played any of the other games? Is gaf just being gaf?

The game is such a huuuge improvement from Revelations, and there's so much stuff to do, so much content. Never before has a city felt so alive in an AC game. Side quests everywhere. So much content. Huge frontier map, two big cities, both with underground tunnels, and naval missions. And then there's the badass new animations, new weapons (rope dart, wow), and the fluid tree climbing. And a great story on top of it all.

I can see that the game lacks polish, but IMO Ubisoft did a good job and I've been enjoying the game so far, currently at sequence 10. Maybe I'm just a blind fanboy, idk.

Aklamarth

Finished it a few minutes ago. Overall i found the game to be disappointing. Buggy as a turd (with the day 1 patch) and the stories (both past & present) were ....not good. The ending was simply crap.
And i had such high hopes for this one:(

Top Bottom