• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Wow, this entire interface for crafting, trading, and stockpiling is a like case study in bad design. No way to buy more than one thing at a time. You can't designate an entire convoy to one merchant, but can only do so on a per item basis. You can't set up recurring shipments, which makes earning money incredibly tedious. Whomever dreamt this turd up should be embarrassed, really.

Forget the interface, for me its a matter of "why would I want to do this stuff in a game that's supposed to be about stabbing people in the American Revolution?"

Noi

Didn't get an answer so asking one more time.

Also connor is a total bummer. I loved AC2-brotherhood-revelations in large part due to Ezio and a couple of the side people. Desmond/Connor/shaun/rebecca/desmond's dad could all die by the end of the game and I wouldn't blink. The end of revelations/end of AC embers? I was 100% in on it.

Are you sure you did all the the liberation missions? There's actually ones in areas that aren't uncovered by the waypoints, so you have to physically go to them and find them.

Forget the interface, for me its a matter of "why would I want to do this stuff in a game that's supposed to be about stabbing people in the American Revolution?"

And to me it's "why do I have to do this when there was already a better system in place that wasn't nearly as tedious?".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I kind of thought it was ridiculous 'oh do you want to craft this and this and this' like.. why would I want to craft wigs? Why does it matter? What was wrong with before where I would just buy the buildings and get money for that? But you're keeping the assassination stuff too?

I feel like it's trying to be too many things at once and failing at a lot of them. The crafting, assassinations, convoys, and all that other stuff just feels like facebook games.

Bladenic

Can I just sell all my pelts and other hunting items to a store merchant, or is it better to keep for crafting OR sell through convoys?

Bladenic

You can but they give you way less money for it. It is best to just sell them through convoys.

What about crafting?

Anyway, in sequence 6, and finally having tons of fun. Spent the whole day doing missions, liberating forts, and other stuff on the Frontier. So much to do.

Noi

Yeah, it was triangle (PS3) last time, not mapped to a fucking stick click. Ugh.

...I've been playing for the past god knows how many hours without a single prompt that I could do Eagle Vision already. I even tried pressing everything, but I apparently was moving and it didn't work. I only just now tried when I was standing still and it worked.

Just... why.

Edit: You can leave Eagle Vision while moving, but you can't enter it while moving. sl'dkflasdfdas

legbone

Before it just came up as an overlay on the screen which was quick to appear, use and disappear. Now it's a different screen altogether and is a pain in the ass to use if you're in a fight.

Also, any idea why guards just randomly start chasing me? I can walk through half the city and everything incognito and everything is fine and then all of a sudden a group of guards just start coming after me, what the hell?

oh, ok. i see what you mean. yeah, it does suck in a fight. for every step forward this game takes, it takes two back. hopefully the next game will iron out some stuff.

First impression when Desmond shows up: Wow this game looks like shit.
First impression when I'm on a boat: Wow this game looks awesome.
Playing a few hours in: Buggiest game since Fallout New Vegas and the controls suck balls. I had to play with the game completely blurred out until I restarted during one of the missions, AI detection is insane and arbitrary(neither I or the npcs are moving, detection rapidly flashes on and off), objectives and animations are glitched to fuck, the camera gets stuck in my dude's back every once in a while and fuck horses.

How do I actually make money in this game? I have no idea how the trading and crafting system work. Also, I thought the naval contract missions would give you money but I got nothing.

What's the easiest way to make money?

SJRB

Gold Member
After-credits question:

I seriously need someone to explain the animus
synching, am I supposed to understand what the hell this guy is talking about? Pivot to retrieve hex codes, what?

And please tell me there's an option to wear the hood again..!

Edit: Well it turns out I can't. I fucking cannot. This is like the ultimate punch in the face after that terrible ending. Why the hell would they do this? Haha I am so angry right now, this entire ordeal has been so utterly frustrating for me and they top it off by screwing me over like this for no reason whatsoever. Goddamnit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Does anybody know why the game is telling me that I'm missing a chest in Central Boston? I bought a chest map and I'm not seeing another chest.

xCobalt

Were people really having a lot of trouble with the
chase
in sequence 8?
I failed it the first time but I realized I could cut him off by not following his exact path. Tackled him within 10 seconds of starting the memory.

GAMERG0D

Were people really having a lot of trouble with the
chase
in sequence 8?
I failed it the first time but I realized I could cut him off by not following his exact path. Tackled him within 10 seconds of starting the memory.

It took me 30 tries before I tried that.

Derrick01

Banned
Man there's just something about this game that I like and I don't even know what. If I was reviewing this I'd probably give it a 4/10 because of all the bugs and bad design decisions but I'm still enjoying myself overall somehow. I guess it's kind of like that dynasty warriors syndrome, it's fun in its own way even though you know objectively speaking it's a giant piece of shit.

Carbonox

Mine shafts, caves and whatnot in the direct vicinity.

I'd say it's clever but it's actually infuriating when you're on a ginormous hill and you have no idea where to begin to look for a cave entrance. :lol Basically have to run around the base forever.

Noi

Some of these optional objectives, I swear. Don't make shooting down a boat with it's weakpoint an objective if a single volley of cannons can take it down down, argh.

Scrabble

But you don't have to do any of it, I didn't. And this is exactly what I'm talking about, people are getting worked up for the most trivial inconsequential shit that ultimately has no bearing on the main plot. Why is everyone just flat out ignoring everything this game does great to only focus on stuff like an optional objective being hard, or the crafting system being difficult to understand. All of these aspects can be ignored and the game doesn't penalize you for it, your only hurting yourself.

ultron87

Wow, storms are phenomenal looking at sea.

The fact that navy missions are in 1776 while the rest of the game is still several years earlier is super weird. Unless I didn't notice Sequence 7 skip several years forward.

Ugh, this double holster sucks. I crafted it and it's so buggy. I can't figure out how to choose which two guns to use and every time I leave the Homestead, it gets rid of my second pistol. This is so frustrating.

Are you sure you did all the the liberation missions? There's actually ones in areas that aren't uncovered by the waypoints, so you have to physically go to them and find them.

Holy crap, really? The design decisions in this game are mindboggling sometimes. I love exploring the areas, and I love finding trinkets, feathers, etc., but everything else just doesn't work as well as it should.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, storms are phenomenal looking at sea.

The fact that navy missions are in 1776 while the rest of the game is still several years earlier is super weird. Unless I didn't notice Sequence 7 skip several years forward.

The storms while running through the frontier are awesome too.

Glad everyone else is realizing that the only great thing about this game is the naval battles.

The chases might be the fucking worst mission design I've seen in a decade. Let's make our chases exciting like Uncharted 3. Except lets a) put a fail timer on them; b) attacking enemies in front of you and c) objects that you will run into and get stuck on! genius .
Already traded in the game and am still annoyed by it

Noi

But you don't have to do any of it, I didn't. And this is exactly what I'm talking about, people are getting worked up for the most trivial inconsequential shit that ultimately has no bearing on the main plot. Why is everyone just flat out ignoring everything this game does great to only focus on stuff like an optional objective being hard, or the crafting system being difficult to understand. All of these aspects can be ignored and the game doesn't penalize you for it, your only hurting yourself.

Because what you're suggesting is to actively and completely ignore or dismiss whole parts of the game and only focus on the good stuff, which to me has been completely minimal. That's not something one can easily do when the game is telling you to do these things at every corner. It's great that you're able to limit what you do in a game, but I like to explore everything the game has to offer. I don't immediately go from sequence to sequence when I finish one. I take my time, do any side missions that the game is giving the chance to do, and THEN I move on.

Holy crap, really? The design decisions in this game are mindboggling sometimes. I love exploring the areas, and I love finding trinkets, feathers, etc., but everything else just doesn't work as well as it should.

I would love looking for stuff if they didn't pretty much force you to buy the maps. Before I did, I would go through areas 4 to 5 times, but unless I revealed the magic pixel on the map, it won't tell me that the area I've already been through has a feather/chest/trinket hiding in plain sight.

daw840

Anyone know how this board game works? I'm supposed to place 3 in a row to take away one of the computers but every time I try to put the 3rd one in a line down it won't let me.

Slair

I dont know if it's just me and i dont know if it's been complained about already, but these fucking controls, ugh. I always thought that the controls for the assassins creed series were a little too simple for all the free running, but who thought it would be a good idea to distill them down even further to a single climb shit button? Especially when that button is also the move faster than crippled old ladies button? As soon as you're put under any pressure to do stuff quickly and not be detected, Conner just starts climbing everything, drop him off what you just accidentally climbed, lands on something else he can climb. I know these problems are inherited and i dont know if it's because the world is more cluttered but the climbing feels less accurate, accurate being a very loose term. Also those fucking giant viewpoint trees, either climb them first time, no problems, or get stuck swinging at the monkey bar branches at the top and he refuses grab onto anything more. You think maybe it's a good idea to help him along with a tap of the A/X button, that should work if i aim in the direction of the of branch i need to get on. Fucking wrong, jump in the complete opposite direction, dead. :(

Noi

Anyone know how this board game works? I'm supposed to place 3 in a row to take away one of the computers but every time I try to put the 3rd one in a line down it won't let me.

Try following the strategy in this video. It can be a bit confusing, but it's probably the easiest game to play win if you nail the beginning.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo I take it a lot of the feedback around this game is negative? I was planning to pick this up but maybe I'll wait for a price drop if the game has a lot of problems.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sooo I take it a lot of the feedback around this game is negative? I was planning to pick this up but maybe I'll wait for a price drop if the game has a lot of problems.

Personally AC3 is shaping up to be my favorite in the series, but it does have issues. I think they all do, but the ones in 3 are...odd, usually not explaining stuff fully that it should leading to certain things being more confusing than it should be. I also didn't expect the control differences and that took awhile to adjust, but I'm fine with it now.

ultron87

Personally I am loving the hell out of it. If you've enjoyed other AC games you should enjoy this one too. But waiting for a price drop isn't a terrible idea either since historically one will come pretty fast.

DaBuddaDa

People who had problems with previous games will continue to have problems with this one and they will be exacerbated. The benefit of the doubt is gone since this series is now in its fifth game. People who loved the previous games will love or like this one too. It's pretty status quo. I think we need new hardware before any significant, mechanical changes are made to the series.

iNvid02

nah, ignore the hyperbole shit some guys are spouting. its a good game, ambitious, but it lacks vision, is frustrating at times and currently quite buggy

Derrick01

Banned

I have more negatives to say about this game than positives, but the stuff I do like I really like. I'll probably have it at #10 on my goty list. I couldn't possibly have it any higher but it's a weak enough year that it can sneak in with all of its problems.

Xevren

The game is still really good, they just did some really dumb shit that makes no sense and with some of the bugs it can be really annoying. I still love it, but it's definitely flawed.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Finished it earlier and it's my absolute game of the year. Let's say best game I've played since RDR.

DaBuddaDa says it best:
People who had problems with previous games will continue to have problems with this one and they will be exacerbated.

There are things I don't like about it obviously but they are so minor compared to what you get out of the game.

Of course not having any major glitches or being shackled by yourself to 100% everything makes the game more enjoyable.

Top Bottom