• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Mirage |OT| Basim, the Origin

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Same on PS5 but 60fps isn't what the game needs
30 or 60
Vaseline is still Vaseline
I think a Remaster at a respectable resolution with some touch ups here and there to textures and assets and the game would arguably be the best looking game out there.

It’s one of the best looking games still to this day on PC, especially the lighting. A remaster that improves things like LOD would be amazing.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I thought about doing that but I wouldn't understand it all
But I've had some people call me crazy a few times, no translation needed

I'm Arab, that's the trick. I tried to play games in Japanese with English subtitles but in games it's too hard. When watching Anime or so it's doable no problem but your head is all over the place when playing. I can play it in English but the voice acting and tone is much better in Arabic and more fitting for the setting. This reminds me of Heihachi in Tekken anime, the English voice is so soft and pansy vs Japanese one. Sometimes voice acting can destroy immersion or you just need time to adapt.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I always appreciate the teal world historic codex entries these games have, I think I've spent equal time reading about trade in ancient Baghdad as playing the game lol

Yeah I enjoyed all of those historic stuff in the game. To be honest, as a person who studied Arabic and history, I don't seem to find any flaws with their takes. They really did a wonderful job being neutral and accurate.

Eh......matter of preference. GoT has better open combat, imo, with the switching stances. Also love the scenery of Tsushima island. You seem to be a massive Ubisoft fan though based on your post history and that is fine. I like their games as well. So far I'm enjoying
Got dont have better combat it's literally unity combat like paired animation with cinematic movement, ac mirage uses different combat hitbox with less cinematic feels with more control given to player not the same ac mirage has way better stealth, better open world, npc , ai presence, ai reaction, bounty system, different combat apples and oranges, better Parkour, better cities, all in 50 dollar game by a b team, and you do realise ghost of tsuima is made by former ubisoft employees not magically appeared developers wait until ac red going to eat ghost of tsuima alive

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Got dont have better combat it's literally unity combat like paired animation with cinematic movement, ac mirage uses different combat hitbox with less cinematic feels with more control given to player not the same ac mirage has way better stealth, better open world, npc , ai presence, ai reaction, bounty system, different combat apples and oranges, better Parkour, better cities, all in 50 dollar game by a b team, and you do realise ghost of tsuima is made by former ubisoft employees not magically appeared developers wait until ac red going to eat ghost of tsuima alive

I would love for AC Red to eat GoT alive, that's good for all of us. But the lack of solid storytelling is the most apparent thing in most/all AC games vs PS Studios in general. AC always have good stories, but the storytelling is so outdated and kills immersion. PS Studios could tell a story about farting at high school and you might end up tearing.

Massive AC fan here.

Last edited:
I would love for AC Red to eat GoT alive, that's good for all of us. But the lack of solid storytelling is the most apparent thing in most/all AC games vs PS Studios in general. AC always have good stories, but the storytelling is so outdated and kills immersion. PS Studios could tell a story about farting at high school and you might end up tearing.

Massive AC fan here.
I don't understand the story telling part you mean cinematics lol no offence sony don't make 300 npcs fight in a screen or their open world games don't have npc density like ubisoft games that's why their character looks good, ubisoft priority is immersion over visuals that why ubisoft cinematics looks bad

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't understand the story telling part you mean cinematics lol no offence sony don't make 300 npcs fight in a screen or their open world games don't have npc density like ubisoft games that's why their character looks good, ubisoft priority is immersion over visuals that why ubisoft cinematics looks bad

It's not even about visuals. MGS1 has way more superior storytelling the AC games today. It's how you tell the story. They have a very good story, but the storytelling (execution) kills it and makes it look bad.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I only watched the video by SkillUp. Sounds pretty disappointing that all they bothered to do with this is a glorified spin off that would normally end up as a handheld entry in the series back in the day. I was kinda hoping that by going back to the classic formula, they would actually try to innovate a little and not literallly do a reskin of an old AC game.

Anyway, another one to the wishlist pile. I'll probably pick it up next year when it's on sale.

Ozzie666

It feels abit like Assassins Creed lite and nowhere close to the normal level it reaches. It's great they've tried to recapture the older games, but at times it comes off as souless? That's the best way to desribe it. It's like they over corrected from people complaining there was too much to do, or too many RPGS elements creeping in. Feels a bit cheap honestly.

Certinty

Finished the main story. Took around 12 hours not focusing on much else.

Here are my honest thoughts.

It feels like a game that should have been released in ~2015, before Unity and Syndicate and after the likes of Black Flag and Rogue.

Gameplay is clunky (I don’t remember Unity and Syndicate playing like this). Combat is to say the least not very good, it’s far too basic, has barely any enemy varieties, AI sucks and is not fluid in the slightest. Open world feels like something from 10 years ago, NPCs have no life whatsoever. Story is just there (though does anyone really play these games for the story anyway?). Game is very easy too playing on normal difficulty.

But despite all that I had a bunch of fun. Mainly because of the gameplay loop is of stealth and exploration and it been far too long since we had a proper Assassin’s Creed game and even the likes of Ghost of Tsushima was over three years ago now.

What you see and expect from old Assassin’s Creed games is what you get and whilst it’s dated in so many ways, it’s refreshing to to have after the last few games and how bloated and far away from the true Assassin’s Creed we knew.

More than glad I picked it up for the reduced price they opted for.

Would say a 7/10 overall.

Topher

Gold Member

GoT combat is not like Unity. Unity doesn't use stances at all. The stealth modes are similar and you can definitely see the Ubisoft influence there. As for the rest, I'm not going to go through your "better" list, because I simply don't think Mirage is very good at anything. It is basic AC. That's it. I'm probably half way through, but I'm not sure I'm going to finish it. Feel like I'm forcing myself to play at this point. If this is B team stuff as you say well, I can't say I'm surprised.

But like Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , I hope AC Red is awesome. That's one I'm looking forward to.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
You can pick up and pet cats. Finally.

8aXfjKo.jpg

GOTY

SJRB

Gold Member
Finished the main story. Took around 12 hours not focusing on much else.

Here are my honest thoughts.

It feels like a game that should have been released in ~2015, before Unity and Syndicate and after the likes of Black Flag and Rogue.

Gameplay is clunky (I don’t remember Unity and Syndicate playing like this). Combat is to say the least not very good, it’s far too basic, has barely any enemy varieties, AI sucks and is not fluid in the slightest. Open world feels like something from 10 years ago, NPCs have no life whatsoever. Story is just there (though does anyone really play these games for the story anyway?). Game is very easy too playing on normal difficulty.

But despite all that I had a bunch of fun. Mainly because of the gameplay loop is of stealth and exploration and it been far too long since we had a proper Assassin’s Creed game and even the likes of Ghost of Tsushima was over three years ago now.

What you see and expect from old Assassin’s Creed games is what you get and whilst it’s dated in so many ways, it’s refreshing to to have after the last few games and how bloated and far away from the true Assassin’s Creed we knew.

More than glad I picked it up for the reduced price they opted for.

Would say a 7/10 overall.

Agree with all your points.

Game has a massive focus on stealth, yet lacks all forms of finesse required for a stealth game.

- There's a crouch button (thank god), but no cover button. How is there no cover button? Not even an automated animation when you're near a corner. It's such a weird omission
- The enemies ragdoll all over the place when you assassinate them near an object or wall, often resulting in the bodies glitching through walls which gets the bodies spotted and the base alerted. This is a thing since the very first AC and I can't believe we still have to deal with this
- You can climb anywhere all the time except the moments where for some reason the game won't let you because it wants to railroad you into a certain way of playing
- Enemy AI is bad and janky, making the experience unreliable. You never know if a guard will spazz out or warp over some geometry
- Tools are unreliable both because they behave unpredictably but also the guard AI reacts unpredictably, making them often useless because there's a chance it won't go the way you want and the base will be alerted
- When enemies are alerted it is almost impossible to see how many are after you, or how close they are. Situational awareness is zero during hectic escapes

I can go on for a bit but my point is that they trimmed all the fat to focus on one specific gameplay mechanic but the game still feels very undercooked. If you go for a stealth game, make a stealth game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Couple of impressions from what I've played.

- The stealth doesn't feel as intuitive as the older games. Which makes sense, since the mechanics are the same as Valhalla but they want it to play like Unity and before, which doesn't gel that well.
- The Stamina system is atrocious. Yes, the game encourages you not to get into open combat, but when you do, your stamina finishes in 4 strikes.
- Bunch of traversal hitches, trying to jump onto specific ledges but Basim ends up flying off in a completely different area
- I cannot believe there is no option to disable chromatic aberration. It's so strong, in some scenes and areas it borderline feels like a cel-shading filter is on the game.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Couple of impressions from what I've played.

- The stealth doesn't feel as intuitive as the older games. Which makes sense, since the mechanics are the same as Valhalla but they want it to play like Unity and before, which doesn't gel that well.
- The Stamina system is atrocious. Yes, the game encourages you not to get into open combat, but when you do, your stamina finishes in 4 strikes.
- Bunch of traversal hitches, trying to jump onto specific ledges but Basim ends up flying off in a completely different area
- I cannot believe there is no option to disable chromatic aberration. It's so strong, in some scenes and areas it borderline feels like a cel-shading filter is on the game.

The parkour pathfinding is pretty wonky which is fine in 90% of cases because you're just freeroaming so it doesn't really matter if Basim jumps down instead of right (aside from it being a slight annoyance), but during the moments where precision actually matters (escape sequences) it is extremely frustrating when Basim doesn't ge where I tell him to go.

To be fair parkour precision has been an issue since the first game. More prevalent in some games than others, but still a thing that's hopefully addressed when the next generation of AC games comes.

King Dazzar

You get throwing knives and eventually blow darts, so there are tools for taking guards down silently from a distance.
OK, that sounds a little better. Really loved the archery in Valhalla though - the only thing they fucked up compared to Origins and Odyssey was the quick bow type swap. Seems a shame they've removed it entirely....

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I agree with pretty much most of the complaints so far, but I’m still having a good time. Mostly because it’s been so long since I’ve played a mostly “traditional” Creed game.

Pro tip: Max out your throwing knives and then add the skill that dissolves the bodies after a kill. Some serious Singularity vibes 👌🏼

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

This looks interesting coming from someone that thinks the last good AC was Unity. I’ll wait for a sale though.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

You’re a Chromatic Abberation
I'm sawwy. Your shots are very artistic. You seem to get the angle of the dangle just beautifully. And the clarity, the clarity. Jaw dropping. Better?
Richard Pryor Comedy GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Sorry mate, great that you shared! :messenger_heart:

I think they do a good job minimizing the artificial feel of the game. I don't mind it.
Its a bit extreme in this case though, dont you think? Anyway Film Grain, CA and motion blur, should all be options. Creative choice n' all that be fucked.

Bojji

Code:
I used HEX edit on ACMirage_plus.exe
from
80 79 32 00 75 4E
to
80 79 32 01 75 4E
and it seems to have worked pretty well
Also disabled Bloom in the ACMirage.ini in documents folder

OiyAaBu.jpg

Now I can play.

TLZ

Banned
After playing the first four or so hours, the best way I can put this is if you enjoyed the old-school Assassin's Creed formula, you'll enjoy this.

Personally as someone who liked 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, Black Flag and Syndicate, this is right up my alley.

The biggest 'issue' probably is that the game hasn't really evolved since any of those, the AI is still dodgy, the voice acting isn't good and the story and combat are serviceable at best. It feels like a game that was and should have been released five years ago right after Syndicate.

But hey, I've missed these kind of games. I didn't mind Origins, Odyssey was somewhat good and I despised Valhalla but what I hated about all three was how dragged out they were with so much repetitive shit and a 10 hour story made several times longer due to the necessary grind. I'm not even joking here when I say in the first four hours here the story has progressed more than it did in my first 40 with Valhalla (and thank God I dropped it after that), this is exactly what Assassin's Creed should be.

But yeah, bottom line is if you're looking for an Assassin's Creed game like the older ones and can look through the flaws, you'll enjoy this like me and many others are.

Maybe the best “dad with young kids” game to come around in a while.

1. It feels and plays like old AC games you loved before you had kids

2. It doesn’t take 300 hours to complete, you will actually finish it at some point with your limited game time

3. It’s a little bit cheaper than most new releases too, gotta save that cash for kid crap

Recommended
Perfect. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Wow, you can really see the Chromatic Aberration in those shots - you'd hope getting an option added to disable it must be a priority for the team.
Bruh this isn’t even close to the offensive CA shots lol. These are clean.

adamsapple

Can someone tell me what Def.Dmg is in a weapons stats, how is it different than regular Dmg ?

Sleepwalker

You know what I'm actually really loving this game so far, only 3 hours but this is the gameplay loop ive been missing.

adamsapple

Pretty sure it's defense damage, so like from blocking and parrying.

Doesn't the dagger deal defense damage? And the sword regular damage?

Both the dagger and sword have individual Dmg and Def.Dmg stats so that was a bit confusing.

So far, outside of the heavy enemies, most basic enemies seem to be one-hit-kills after a successful parry so difficulty hasn't been much of an issue.

Also, the throwing knives + the upgrade which makes enemy bodies disappear is kinda OP.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The price and size of this is great.
I might .... I might actually pick up an AC game ?! what

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Code:
from
80 79 32 00 75 4E
to
80 79 32 01 75 4E

OiyAaBu.jpg

Now I can play.
lol now it looks like shit.
Chromatic abberration i pretty good to hide aliasing and add some "Realism look", At least in this case from what I've see so far

damidu

lol now it looks like shit.
Chromatic abberration i pretty good to hide aliasing and add some "Realism look", At least in this case from what I've see so far
there is nothing “realistic” about a fullscreen CA effect.
if you had this in real life with your camera lense, you’d consider it broken.

whatever it’s trying to “hide”, it’s doing it with headache inducing pixel soup.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Code:
from
80 79 32 00 75 4E
to
80 79 32 01 75 4E

OiyAaBu.jpg

Now I can play.
Now it looks good. S2

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
there is nothing “realistic” about a fullscreen CA effect.
if you had this in real life with your camera lense, you’d consider it broken.

whatever it’s trying to “hide”, it’s doing it with headache inducing pixel soup.
it looks 10x better default than with the filter removed though

Top Bottom