• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Dany

Banned
Massa said:
Cool, thanks for the impressions.

One thing I wonder about this game is how they pace the side stuff. In Brotherhood you unlocked a bunch of side mission types at a certain point and you could spend hours doing nothing but that (recruiting assassins, freeing towers, buying stuff, etc). If you have OCD for that stuff it was kind of a nightmare.

I wonder if they take more control this time.

Or you could just sit at a bench as you make dinner and watch a movie as you get money.

Didn't see this answered in the previous page, but for those that have it, how is the pop-in for the world in ACR?

I played ACB on 360 and one of the few things that took me a bit out of the game was how close trees/small buildings/foliage would be before they popped/faded into existence.

KAOz

Short bus special
Irish said:
Damn, that's a nice case.

Honestly, it looks good from the front. But the casing is very, very plasticy. You know, a kind of soft plastic, and not by the regular Ps3-case standard at all. Feels very off. Also, it's thinner than a regular case.

Fun facts.

Massa said:
Cool, thanks for the impressions.

One thing I wonder about this game is how they pace the side stuff. In Brotherhood you unlocked a bunch of side mission types at a certain point and you could spend hours doing nothing but that (recruiting assassins, freeing towers, buying stuff, etc). If you have OCD for that stuff it was kind of a nightmare.

I wonder if they take more control this time.

I'm not that far to have everything open to me, but I think it's like ACB, you can do more thing when free a tower (defending them) or learn more about the assassins you recruit but the basis are the same.

daxter01 said:
how is the performance?is it better than brotherhood?

Better, better graphics, better textures (this in particular) and so far I didn't notice any slowdowns at all.

Criminal Upper said:
Didn't see this answered in the previous page, but for those that have it, how is the pop-in for the world in ACR?

Didn't notice anything, but I'm mesmerized by the city so maybe I'm not paying too much attention to those little things, I will check the next time.

I have the chance to play 2 more Desmond stages and actually they are pretty cool, the first stage it's to easy/simple, it's not a good representation of the things too come.

I can't wait to hear what people think of the ziplines, I really don't use them, and I don't find them particularly helpful so far.

Sinthetic

rockman zx said:
[No spoilers]

Played close to 7 hours so far and I'm loving it. First of all, it sucks that they showed us in trailers and stuff pretty much what happen in the first 1/2 hours of the game (minus the Desmond part). The first thing that blowed my mind is constantinople, damn, the first time you arrive there, the colors, the architecture, the atmoshpere, how lively is the place, it's just the beautifulest world ever created for a game, and when the night falls, it's even better.

The game fells like Brotherhood, despite all the new additions to the game, so this is going to be a problem with some people and reviewers, but who cares, awesome is still awesome one year later.

From the new things so far, the assassin dens are the thing I'm enjoying more. The animus bits with Desmond are OK, nothing revolutionary but I has a cool thing to do inside it, the hookblade it's OK.

There is less collectibles now, some of them have an effect on the story of the game and are easy to spot because they are super bright.

Yusuf is awesome.

They removed the painting collectible and replaced with other thing that it's pretty cool if you love real world story.

Nice impressions! The way you describe Constantinople (Istanbul) is exactly how you feel when you first see it in REAL LIFE. It's just stunning.

Irish said:
Any impressions of the recruit system?

Well, it's like in ACB, the only difference it's you can customize their look a little more, also you have to put one of them in control of a tower to protect it from enemy attacks (didn't experience any attacks in a retaken tower yet, not sure how it works). Also, when one of the assassins reach level 10, you go with them in a mission to learn about them and to learn about an enemie that will become the "nemesis" of that assassin, when the assassin reach level 15 you go into another mission with him in order to defeat his "nemesis" and gain the master assassin level (for the assasin). I believe that when the assassin protecting the tower is a master assassin, the enemies can retake the tower. Too early for me to have all the details.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
the beginning where you control the horse is annoying as fuck, dude captain dude keeps killing me :( (i finished all ac's so iunno why i have a problem with this)

ohh you just need to survive long enough. so i was too agrresive, HERPADERP

Massa

rockman zx said:
I'm not that far to have everything open to me, but I think it's like ACB, you can do more thing when free a tower (defending them) or learn more about the assassins you recruit but the basis are the same.

I guess part of the problem I had with Brotherhood is that I found having to buy the stores and going into menus to send assassins on missions to be incredibly boring.

Massa said:
I guess part of the problem I had with Brotherhood is that I found having to buy the stores and going into menus to send assassins on missions to be incredibly boring.

It's like ACB, there are more places in the city where you can manage the missions and the assassins, but the menus are the same.

DrBo42

rockman zx said:
It's like ACB, there are more places in the city where you can manage the missions and the assassins, but the menus are the same.
How's the difficulty so far? Is the game even easier with bombs added? Has anything been done to balance it?

DrBo42 said:
How's the difficulty so far? Is the game even easier with bombs added? Has anything been done to balance it?

For me it's as easy as the previous games, the bombs are super powerfull but I don't use them, sometimes the smoke or the poison one but I avoid anything explosive, I like to play stealthily so I force myself to use only the hiden blade as much as I can, so maybe I'm not the best person to answer this question.

You can carry 3 different type of bombs and only 3 of each, but for some reason you can make the bombs you have equipped from the weapon menu as long as you have the ingredients, so you don't need to go to the "bomb station" to make more bombs, only to change the bomb type if you want. Basicaly you can carry only 9 bombs but you can make more in the run, so if you don't care about stealth you can bomb the enemies like crazy, plus the crossbow, hidden gun, assassin's arrows, like the other AC games, this is not a game to put your skills on test.

iNvid02

AlmostMilk said:
So is anybody actually getting this day 1 with there already being shown black friday ads of it being $35?

if i were in US i'd wait for that, its not like there aren't other games to keep you occupied for a few weeks.

iNvid02

CrankyJay said:
Any word on if Ubisoft is pulling that crap with online trophies in order to obtain the platinum?

here are the mp achievements, you'll need to do em for platinum
they dont look too hard

Earn the INCOGNITO bonus (Multiplayer)
Purchase your first ABILITY in the Abstergo Store (Multiplayer)
Complete a Challenge (Multiplayer)
Reach level 20 (Multiplayer)
Customize a PERSONA (Multiplayer)
Win a session of a team mode (Multiplayer)
Obtain 12 different Accolades (Multiplayer)
Edit your TEMPLAR PROFILE to change your title, emblem, and patron (Multiplayer)
Finish a session of each game mode (Multiplayer)
Score at least 2500 points in a session (Multiplayer)

CrankyJay

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
here are the mp achievements, you'll need to do em for platinum
they dont look too hard

Earn the INCOGNITO bonus (Multiplayer)
Purchase your first ABILITY in the Abstergo Store (Multiplayer)
Complete a Challenge (Multiplayer)
Reach level 20 (Multiplayer)
Customize a PERSONA (Multiplayer)
Win a session of a team mode (Multiplayer)
Obtain 12 different Accolades (Multiplayer)
Edit your TEMPLAR PROFILE to change your title, emblem, and patron (Multiplayer)
Finish a session of each game mode (Multiplayer)
Score at least 2500 points in a session (Multiplayer)

Thanks. It's just another time sink I don't wish to do, especially if I have to depend on other people (online). But it looks like they made them less taxing for the online trophies than in AC:B

The Lamp

Is the PS3 performance of this as crap as it was in AC2? I got rid of the game shortly after finishing just because of that aggravating performance.

Thinking of getting it on PC this time.

DrBo42

LoD is just as bad as Brotherhood in terms of shadow loading. Models look a lot better. Hookblade gameplay adds some neat touches, including the ability to steal money and items from a guard during combat. There's a lot of slo-mo going on in fights that I'm unsure about at the moment. Perhaps there are windows to do something special, not sure. The city is beautiful, feels more alive than the others for some reason. Bombs offer a nice change of pace in terms of tactics. If you ever wanted to distract a group of guards without using a body or hired groups, this is for you. There are a good amount of tools here to vary your actions and customize your playstyle.

Irish

Yeah, I really wasn't sure why the slow motion has been included. Seems really weird from the gameplay bits I've seen.

picked up the Animus Edition this afternoon and played a few hours up until Chapter 4.

Some impressions (PS3)

- Graphics look clean and crisp, gameplay feels fluid and the hookblade makes traversal a lot faster.

- All sewer quick travel points a la Brotherhood and ACII are unlocked from the start, which is really handy to quickly move around the city.

- A really badass mission involving a disguise which will bring a smile to a lot of people who played ACII and Brotherhood :-D

- Bomb mechanic is not really my thing. Havent used it much yet but that might change in the later chapters

- the badass E3 cinematic is in the game. Sound a bit stupid to say but the previous games didnt have the amazing CG movies interwoven into the main game. This one does.

- Defend the Den is a fun distraction but I don't really care for it. The Train your assassins thing is back as well and works the same as in Brotherhood. Hopefully there will be another Facebook app so I can train my guys during the commute to work :-D

- played 2 matches of MP, was good just like the beta. Fluid and tense.

- DESMOND sequence. SPOILERS FOLLOW
So instead of feathers you collect Animus Fragments. Collect a bunch of those and you unlock a first person sequence with Desmond where you walk through levels which somewhat resemble the abstract levels from Mirror's Edge. You can also spawn blocks to create paths over gaps. Kinda hard to explain but a fun distraction. Pretty comparable with the Riddler stuff from Arkham City in terms of progression. Collect some shit, unlock a new sequence.

And a special note on the Encyclopedia from the Animus Edition. It looks fucking AMAZING

also I read the synopsis on the story before I started to catch up, but then realised they spoiler the ENTIRE story for Revelations as well! They even give a serious hint with a character where (one of the?) next ACs is gonna take place.

BE VERY CAREFUL EXTREME ENDGAME STORY SPOILER BELOW!

Apparently at the end of the game Ezio meets a Chinese assassin called Shao Jun, to which he gives a special artifact. Shao Jun apparently goes back to (Ming dynasty China) to battle against Emperor Jiajing

BE VERY CAREFUL EXTREME ENDGAME STORY SPOILER ABOVE!

If true, I'm alredy fucking hype for next year.....

Ranger X

The Lamp said:
Is the PS3 performance of this as crap as it was in AC2? I got rid of the game shortly after finishing just because of that aggravating performance.

Thinking of getting it on PC this time.

Crap might be harsh but let me bet the PS3 version is, again, in last position in matter of performance. It was quite shocking close with Brotherhood though. Better than with AC2. The lighting in general was also a tad superior on PS3 but at the cost of some FPS drops you didn't have on 360. Anyhow, my overall bet is again with 360, that's the version I pre-ordered.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
So Steve, how is the PS3's frame rate holding up? Playable, not aggravating?

Pretty good and very playable imho. I havent touched ACB in a year since I finished that last november but I felt this game looked better and a bit sharper. Maybe it's the art style or the fact that I went in somewhat fresh.

On the gameplay front the game is pretty much the same game as ACB. Framerate holds up pretty well and I haven't experienced any major drops. This is no atrocious PS3 port, you can safely buy it.

iNvidious01 said:
damn, once you finished it all feel free to make a spoilers thread for open discussion

Sorry, but I just had to share that bit ;-).

StevePharma said:
Pretty good and very playable imho. I havent touched ACB in a year since I finished that last november but I felt this game looked better and a bit sharper. Maybe it's the art style or the fact that I went in somewhat fresh.

On the gameplay front the game is pretty much the same game as ACB. Framerate holds up pretty well and I haven't experienced any major drops. This is no atrocious PS3 port, you can safely buy it.

yay.gif

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Spoilers already. Dear Jesus this game cannot come quick enough. Here's hoping for it arriving on Monday!

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Also, this.

NinjaFridge said:
Spoilers already. Dear Jesus this game cannot come quick enough. Here's hoping for it arriving on Monday!

Yeah if people want to know shit I have ALL DAT KNOWLEDGE from this black tome next to my PS3 :-D. You can ask me stuff and I can answer it, maybe in a PM.

Also, Ezio is still a badass player/womanizer.

StevePharma said:
Yeah if people want to know shit I have ALL DAT KNOWLEDGE from this black tome next to my PS3 :-D. You can ask me stuff and I can answer it, maybe in a PM.

I'm considering picking up the White Edition of that book for 35 bucks on the Ubi store. Is it worth getting? Canada's not getting any special edition that comes with the game like in Europe.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I'm considering picking up the White Edition of that book for 35 bucks on the Ubi store. Is it worth getting? Canada's not getting any special edition that comes with the game like in Europe.

Well if White is the same as the Black One with some extra fan art I'd say go for it. A great compendium for any fan of the series. Hardcore fans probably won't find any major new stuff in it but it is nice to have it all in one book.

Irish

StevePharma said:
Also, Ezio is still a badass player/womanizer.

Oh, so Ezio is still shitty. I thought he would be a lot better this time around. Damn... :/

Sorry, I was never a fan of fratboy Ezio. I kinda figured he would be more Altair-ish this time around.

Irish said:
Oh, so Ezio is still shitty. I thought he would be a lot better this time around. Damn... :/

Sorry, I was never a fan of fratboy Ezio. I kinda figured he would be more Altair-ish this time around.

Well he's more subdued about it and the way they play on it is really good. It's not like you're running around as Pervy Creepy Uncle Ezio. He is more like Altair in his behaviour (read: serious and somewhat cynical), well unless I spoiler a particular mission which Altair would NEVER do :-D

And after reading all the Revelations story bits from the Encyclopedia people will seriously miss out if they don't play this one. Yeah I know I spoilered myself but I don't give a damn.

rataven

Great impressions Steve; thanks for posting 'em. Avoiding the spoiler stuff, but this little nugget has me sooo intrigued.
StevePharma said:
- A really badass mission involving a disguise which will bring a smile to a lot of people who played ACII and Brotherhood :-D
Definitely picking this up at midnight launch. Only two more days! :D

Irish

Gordon0Freeman said:
I've never played an Assassins Creed game, but are these games usually packed with things to do even after you beat the game?

Like sidemissions and puzzles and stuff? Yeah, unless you do them all while playing through the story.

rataven

Gordon0Freeman said:
I've never played an Assassins Creed game, but are these games usually packed with things to do even after you beat the game?
ACII and Brotherhood are; I'm assuming Rev will as well. ACI, not so much. Lots of short missions and side story type of stuff that you can complete during or after end game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gordon0Freeman said:

The cities aren't sandboxes nor are there any emergent gameplay scenarios, if that's what you're asking. If you do all of the core and side missions during your initial run, there's nothing left to do but reload an old memory and admire the city. Although, in Brotherhood, the game does randomly generate pickpocketers who you can choose to chase down and capture.

Don't let that disappoint you, though, as what the games do offer will last you quite a while. For instance, I squeezed around 70 hours out of Brotherhood's SP campaign.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
StevePharma said:
Well he's more subdued about it and the way they play on it is really good. It's not like you're running around as Pervy Creepy Uncle Ezio. He is more like Altair in his behaviour (read: serious and somewhat cynical), well unless I spoiler a particular mission which Altair would NEVER do :-D

And after reading all the Revelations story bits from the Encyclopedia people will seriously miss out if they don't play this one. Yeah I know I spoilered myself but I don't give a damn.

You are making this wait seem like forever.

Irish

JaseC said:
nor are there any emergent gameplay scenarios, if that's what you're asking.

This reminds me:

Revelations was supposed to introduce these emergent missions, how have they turned out so far, all of you who have been posting impressions so far?

Top Bottom