• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Ranger X

Blimblim said:
I'm afraid I really don't know, it would make sense if it was like that though.

Edit: I'm glad to see that other reviews agree with me, I was a bit worried. Yeah, I'm not used to reviewing games with flaws, but still highly enjoyable like this one :)

Also, are the puzzles back? You know, the glyphs we had to find and then resolve their puzzle...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ranger X said:
Also, are the puzzles back? You know, the glyphs we had to find and then resolve their puzzle...
Nope, they are more or less replaced by the Desmond stuff I guess...

Sinthetic

The puzzles have been good throughout the AC Series, but I'm not at all a fan of puzzles in general. Apparently on the CVG review, "Portal style puzzles" are a downside.

rataven

Sounds like the new additions aren't particularly groundbreaking. Haven't read a review yet that was really taken with the bomb crafting.

Reviews seem good enough for me. I've loved the AC series, flaws and all, and I don't particularly care too much about what the reviews say. Doesn't diminish my excitement.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wow i'm surprised they said "context sensitive crap". I wasn't expecting that wording choice for other games.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's pretty clear, stuff is tacked on the game again and again while the basic idea of being "an assassin" is left aside. What this series needs is to be true to its foundation and improve THAT.

You still can't hide behind anything other than being hidden in specific hiding spots, you can't hide in the shadows, the combat is still broken, there are no memorable fights, etc.

There is no need to add social-gaming, crafting, etc., if the basics are still unpolished and not living up to the title's promise.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
rataven said:
Sounds like the new additions aren't particularly groundbreaking. Haven't read a review yet that was really taken with the bomb crafting.
The main issue with the bombs is that you can still play the game like you did in the two previous episodes and still manage to 100% everything without ever using them unless forced to. So many people, me included, didn't bother with them at all. I'm sure they work nicely, but I don't see the point really.
What *really* annoyed me though is that you find bomb ingredients in treasure chests everywhere in the city. They are not marked as treasure on the treasure map if you bought it, but they look like a normal chest and do the same noise. For someone like me who couldn't resist investigating that specific noise in the previous games, it really drove me mad at times.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
kayos90 said:
Wow i'm surprised they said "context sensitive crap". I wasn't expecting that wording choice for other games.

"Context sensitive trap"

MrDaravon

Reviews are about what I expected, still super hyped. Only thing that kinda bums me out is it seems like the tower defense bits being pretty weak is a common complaint.

Blimblim said:
I wasn't good with the most advanced puzzles so I don't mind seeing these gone personally.
Personally for me that was the most interesting thing about the 2nd and 3rd game.

Oh Brotherhood also had those Mirror's Edge style free run and navigation challenges part of the that virtual tutorial/training thing. Is any of that back? Because that was my 2nd most favorite thing about Brotherhood right after the glyph puzzles.

DrBo42

Surprised at most of the reviews. I find myself constantly using the bombs as a non-lethal alternative. *Shrugs*

CyReN

Don't forget it's going to be $34.99 at Best Buy for Black Friday 12:01AM.

After reviews I'm still hyped, loved the last 2 (disliked the 1st game).

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Gamestop have only just shipped my Animus edition. Christ, Wednesday at the earliest then. Fuck!

CyReN said:
Don't forget it's going to be $34.99 at Best Buy for Black Friday 12:01AM.

After reviews I'm still hyped, loved the last 2 (disliked the 1st game).
I'm wondering if I should go buy a copy from best buy tomorrow and then go up there on black friday and ask for the difference.

rataven

Blimblim said:
What *really* annoyed me though is that you find bomb ingredients in treasure chests everywhere in the city. They are not marked as treasure on the treasure map if you bought it, but they look like a normal chest and do the same noise. For someone like me who couldn't resist investigating that specific noise in the previous games, it really drove me mad at times.
Wow, that's going to be rough on my AC OCD. :/ I'm a roamer; I enjoy just getting lost in the cities and taking it all in, but constant twinkly treasure chest jingles are going to drive me bonkers.

LiK

rataven said:
Wow, that's going to be rough on my AC OCD. :/ I'm a roamer; I enjoy just getting lost in the cities and taking it all in, but constant twinkly treasure chest jingles are going to drive me bonkers.

just remember that the treasure chests with bomb ingredients will REFILL. So you can never escape!

rataven

LiK said:
just remember that the treasure chests with bomb ingredients will REFILL. So you can never escape!
NOOOOOOOOOOO

There better be an option to turn the volume down on the environment.

Let's see, I'm trying to decide on whether to get it for PS3 or wait for the PC. As for the PS3 version, I'm not sure if I want to wait for the BF sale. I think I'll just rent the PS3 version from Redbox, since I'm mostly interested in the single player. I tried that with Uncharted 3, since I had a McDMonopoly coupon for a rental, and that worked out well enough.

I'll probably get the PC version later on down the road. Really, it's too bad they delayed it for the PC, otherwise I would've bought that version on launch day.

Dunan

Lostconfused said:
Really? Damn, that was my favorite part of the past two games.

You can say that again. The second-level puzzles (that is, the stuff hidden inside the puzzles that you, the user, are solving, which it's possible to go through the game without ever noticing) are what took AC2 from being a fun game to perhaps my favorite game, and my favorite series, this generation. I absolutely loved that stuff. Hopefully it's still there, but people just haven't found it yet.

Irish

So, is their a wide variety of clothing dyes this time around? Can you buy anything else from tailor shops outside of the dyes/parachutes?

legbone

man, the news about the puzzles really bums me out. i know they were just a part of 2 and brotherhood but they were so good. one of the things that set the series apart from the crowd were those weird ass/beautiful puzzles. oh well. still love the series and cannot wait to play tonight.

ultron87

legbone said:
man, the news about the puzzles really bums me out. i know they were just a part of 2 and brotherhood but they were so good. one of the things that set the series apart from the crowd were those weird ass/beautiful puzzles. oh well. still love the series and cannot wait to play tonight.

One of my favorite things was working with my roommate to decode a bunch of the secret messages hidden in the glyph puzzles back in AC2. I just loved how there was multilayered stuff in there like that for people that really felt like digging in.

surly

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Reviews are about what I expected, still super hyped. Only thing that kinda bums me out is it seems like the tower defense bits being pretty weak is a common complaint.
The tower defence elements is the worst part of the game for me (mostly cos I suck at it and it seems to be exactly the same every time you do it), but much like the bombs, it's something you can easily avoid if you don't like it.

Ether_Snake said:
It's pretty clear, stuff is tacked on the game again and again while the basic idea of being "an assassin" is left aside. What this series needs is to be true to its foundation and improve THAT.

You still can't hide behind anything other than being hidden in specific hiding spots, you can't hide in the shadows, the combat is still broken, there are no memorable fights, etc.

There is no need to add social-gaming, crafting, etc., if the basics are still unpolished and not living up to the title's promise.
Having not read a single review and gushing/reminiscing about MGS2 and 3 all day at work, I feel what you're saying.

I love the AC series but man, it needs to borrow or expand on ideas from the mgs universe. It was boggling my mind why games on an older machine were doing things that games today can't/won't do. Detecting shadows, footsteps, footprints, belly aches, sneezes etc. And all the different ways to mess with the ai and all the ways they track you. Sorely missing in AC.

Cheska

I haven't been keeping up with most of the posts in here from people who have already beaten the game. Did you guys like it?

I'm mostly interested in getting some conclusion to the events that happened at the end of Brotherhood.
Lucy, don't die :(

Kronotech

Trying to decide on whether or not the Pre-Order with Gamestop is worth it. Do we know anything about the Vlad the Impaler mission and sword? That would be the only piece I would be truly interested in (in regards to the pre-order bonus). If not, I'll just wait for the upcoming sales.

Kronotech said:
Trying to decide on whether or not the Pre-Order with Gamestop is worth it. Do we know anything about the Vlad the Impaler mission and sword? That would be the only piece I would be truly interested in (in regards to the pre-order bonus). If not, I'll just wait for the upcoming sales.

I want to know the same thing actually. Might be picking this up later instead of my pre-order.

Hrm, the reviews so far seem to be "Pretty good". But I don't know if I want to spend $60 on pretty good or I should get skyrim which is "amazing". Haha, goddam review scores!!! Going to the midnight launch regardless.
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Having not read a single review and gushing/reminiscing about MGS2 and 3 all day at work, I feel what you're saying.

I love the AC series but man, it needs to borrow or expand on ideas from the mgs universe. It was boggling my mind why games on an older machine were doing things that games today can't/won't do. Detecting shadows, footsteps, footprints, belly aches, sneezes etc. And all the different ways to mess with the ai and all the ways they track you. Sorely missing in AC.
Dammit I agree with you on something... shit.

But yea, it'd be nice to have the social stealth improved and expanded on. As well as... ninja? visibility? tracking? stealth added to give more options.

misterF

Neo Member
I think the tools to allow the player to play stealthily are there but the main missions aren't really designed to take advantage of them. I remember always using stealth to approach the objective but once you're there and you have to kill your target I often feel like I don't have a choice but to openly kill the target and then escape.

I don't know if it's the same in Revelations but in Brotherhood the missions where you had to burn the watchtowers were great for stealth because there were too many enemy guards to just fight your way through and if you were discovered you couldn't climb as they would throw stones at you.

(Edit: Whoa first post on neogaf. After waiting for more than a year I was starting to think this would never happen!)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Both console versions are obviously identical, except for the bloom effect which comes out differently depending on which version.

Not sure about tearing or FPS though.

legbone

Darknessbear said:
Hrm, the reviews so far seem to be "Pretty good". But I don't know if I want to spend $60 on pretty good or I should get skyrim which is "amazing". Haha, goddam review scores!!! Going to the midnight launch regardless.

Dammit I agree with you on something... shit.

But yea, it'd be nice to have the social stealth improved and expanded on. As well as... ninja? visibility? tracking? stealth added to give more options.

trust me, you should buy skyrim. i am one of the biggest assassin's creed fans around but you should run to the nearest store and buy skyrim. hell, i didn't even like oblivion and skyrim may just well be the best game i have played this year. let's put it this way, if asscreed revelations is not better than skyrim then skyrim is my game of the year. i say this because skyrim is better than any game i have played this year and asscreed rev is the last game i am buying this year. skyrim is one of those games that only comes along once a generation.

I really hope Ubisoft does Ezio justice with the story of ACR. We've been following him for 2 games now, and I really want to see his thread in this to be told and written well.

I admit Ive developed a crush on the big lug. :p

Top Bottom